Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Could Cooley be a cap causality?

MattFancy

Funny how 3.8 is SOOOO much money. I think this would be a bigger issue if Chris was making over 5 million. We can easily fit him under the cap with no restructure, unless the FO thinks by paying Fred they will have too much money invested in the TE position, then I could see them restructuring. I don't think there is a need and let Cooley play out his contract (unless the last couple of years baloon too big) and that will save future cap dollars. Everytime we restructure, any bonus money is spread out further and if yoiu cut a player, it is excellerated in that year.

Funny how 3.8 is SOOOO much money. I think this would be a bigger issue if Chris was making over 5 million. We can easily fit him under the cap with no restructure, unless the FO thinks by paying Fred they will have too much money invested in the TE position, then I could see them restructuring. I don't think there is a need and let Cooley play out his contract (unless the last couple of years baloon too big) and that will save future cap dollars. Everytime we restructure, any bonus money is spread out further and if yoiu cut a player, it is excellerated in that year.

There shouldn't be any resturcture, it should be either a paycut or a release. And it's not that it's "SOOOO much money", it's a matter of whether he's worth what he would be paid. You can debate whether he is, but if not, it's just bad cap management to pay anybody much more than he's worth.

I really don't understand where you're seeing the numbers you are. I saw in another thread you had said you got them from the warpath, when you said Hall wouldn't save or cost any space if let go. But Hall would save 6.2 if traded/released and Cooley 2.066, all according to the warpath numbers.

And of course these numbers are only for 2012. If the team got rid of Cooley, and thus didn't pay him the 3.9 mil he's owed, then they save 3.9 mil in cap space. Just not all in the first year.

So, that makes the net savings even less than I thought. Net savings is savings less replacement costs.

Also, next year, we still have to pay somebody new 3.51M or more.

Somone posted a while back comparing Davis and Cooley, and I believe when Cooley is healthy, stats show he is still the better TE.

People clamoring that Davis is the better TE need to take a step back and see if Davis can do it consecutively.

Not to mention if Davis can give up the pot!

Either or I like Cooley just as much as the next guy but Davis is/has 5x the potential. While Cooley was always good after the catch no doubt, Fred Davis' athleticism can do more and he can be a deep threat as well. Of course this is all pending whether or not he can stop rolling up grandpas cough medicine. Hopefully in a perfect world we can just get Cooley to restructure and have a healthy 2 TE set much like NE.

The way I see it is this . If we do get a rookie QB, and I hope to hell its RG3, then the TEs are a rookies best friend especially someone reliable and wiley like Cooley ... What I like about CC is he remembers this is still supposed to be a game - the NFL is a business but once you strap those pads on and go out to play its all said and done - a game ...

he was good at one time, but he is slow, often injured and if we learned anything from this past year --is that good teams need tall, athletic TEs and Cooley is neither. Maybe restructure and use as a 3rd.

Health aside, I'd rate Cooley ahead of many starting TEs. Contrary to those that believe they grow on trees or that a late round draft pick can fill his role, he's easily one of the best number 2 TEs (assuming that's the role he fills).

If he can't get healthy that's another story. But since he should be, I think he's worth the money. As others have said, what about "rewarding home-grown talent" and "a TE is a (young) QB's best friend"? To those who say he's slow, when was he ever fast? Unless you mean he's slower since his injury, in which case that should be a moot point soon, eh?

I am a big Cooley fan, but objectively, the pros sure seem to outweigh the cons with his contract. Add in Davis' drug issue, and its a no-brainer. If health remains an issue, than as I said... probably a different story.

Thanks to c4man in the other thread....

Jsteelz @Jsteelzextreme

for the Record, i still expect at the end of the day for Davis to get tag, just letting u know its been tossed round, Cooley will be back

Jsteelz @Jsteelzextreme

both Shannys love the guy to death, Drug scares with Davis make them nervous,but we got people for that now lol

Jsteelz @Jsteelzextreme

5.4 mill is a good hit to take, if a guy screws up so u can understand a little fear

Anyone who says Cooley needs to go is not only speaking from a Davis man-crush, but is also smoking some of his left over blunts. Cooley's contract is not bad in anyway. We have way more than enough cap space (this was an article written by JLC, the **** up of the sports media world). I've seen several posters that are all for re-signing, if not tagging, Landry that are in this thread saying that Cooley's injuries are too much of a concern. Cooley's injuries are not nearly as severe or lingering as LL's, and Cooley has shown five times as much on the field for his position and team than Landry ever has in a Redskins uniform. Stop the madness, people. Cooley needs to stay, and it appears that he will be because we have real football people in charge.

Anyone who says Cooley needs to go is not only speaking from a Davis man-crush, but is also smoking some of his left over blunts. Cooley's contract is not bad in anyway. We have way more than enough cap space (this was an article written by JLC, the **** up of the sports media world). I've seen several posters that are all for re-signing, if not tagging, Landry that are in this thread saying that Cooley's injuries are too much of a concern. Cooley's injuries are not nearly as severe or lingering as LL's, and Cooley has shown five times as much on the field for his position and team than Landry ever has in a Redskins uniform. Stop the madness, people. Cooley needs to stay, and it appears that he will be because we have real football people in charge.

Well said!

I think it will be much easier to deal w/ Cooley taking a pay cut to stay bc he's a pillar in the community, especially out in Loudoun County where he's a local God. LL on the other hand doesn't seem to have the DC area love that could weigh on his decision to stay. Just speculation from what little I know.

Either or I like Cooley just as much as the next guy but Davis is/has 5x the potential. While Cooley was always good after the catch no doubt, Fred Davis' athleticism can do more and he can be a deep threat as well. Of course this is all pending whether or not he can stop rolling up grandpas cough medicine. Hopefully in a perfect world we can just get Cooley to restructure and have a healthy 2 TE set much like NE.

Def agree with you on the athleticism of Davis. However, I seriously question his route running ability. He doesn't close on the ball, in other words he doesn't come towards the QB when the ball is in the air. This resulted in several INT's where secondary jumped the ball vs Davis.

Archived