Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Could Cooley be a cap causality?

MattFancy

Saw HapHazard post this in the BBN Section.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/36329/could-chris-cooley-be-a-cap-casualty

Jason La Canfora of NFL.com did a big thing on potential "cap casualties," and it caught my eye because of the photo of Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley right there at the top. Jason lists a number of players who, like Albert Haynesworth in Tampa Bay, Stanford Routt in Oakland and, very soon, Peyton Manning in Indianapolis, could be cut because their salaries don't fit into their team's salary-cap budget for 2012. And here's the part about Cooley:

And at tight end, as much as Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan loves tight end Chris Cooley, he is oft-injured and his $3.8 million base may be too steep, especially if Fred Davis is brought back.

So, couple of things here. First, I have little doubt that Davis will be brought back. The Redskins will almost certainly designate him as their franchise player, since the number is low, they like his talent and they're justifiably leery of making a longer-term commitment to a guy who's one bad drug test away from a one-year suspension. To me, Davis isn't the issue.

Nor, presumably, is Cooley's salary. The Redskins are about $47 million under the projected salary cap and can afford to bring Cooley back on his current contract if they so choose. The questions about Cooley are health and whether he's worth that $3.8 million. With Davis having taken over as the primary passing-game threat at the tight end position in Washington, Cooley is now being paid for numbers he no longer puts up.

Not sure why Cooley would be a cap causality. We have more than enough cap space.

Not sure why Cooley would be a cap causality. We have more than enough cap space.

He'd make for a better restructure if we needed him to. Which would put at about that 50 mil under the Cap I mentioned back on Jan. 1st in the ES coverage thread for the Eagles game.

Nice to see the media finally catch up on our Cap forty-seven days later. :)

He'd make for a better restructure if we needed him to. Which would put at about that 50 mil under the Cap I mentioned back on Jan. 1st in the ES coverage thread for the Eagles game.

JLC has been busy and just now getting around to mining Extremeskins like the days of old.

Umm, haven't we all known/suspected that Cooley will probably have to restructure his contract to remain with the team since like...I don't know, October or something?

I don't know what's worse; the fact that La Canfora reported it, or the fact the ESPN poached a story by a NFL Network guy about information we all pretty much already knew...

Umm, haven't we all known/suspected that Cooley will probably have to restructure his contract to remain with the team since like...I don't know, October or something?

I don't know what's worse; the fact that La Canfora reported it, or the fact the ESPN poached a story by a NFL Network guy about information we all pretty much already knew...

Dan Graziano is the NFCE blogger for ESPN, he mainly takes articles from other sources and comments on them. I actually find him fairly good at knowing what is going on in the NFCE. He visited the team and had a interview with Mike Shannahan, and wrote some very telling articles about his interview. I don't take his comment posts as poaching since he does add content to what he quotes.

Cooley won't be a cap casualty as a cap casualty is someone moved because you NEED to clear cap space and not just because you want to avoid the cash hit. He could get moved because his 2012 cash hit is too high (which is pretty much Snyder's decision) but given that the Redskins don't need to clear the cap space, he won't be a cap casualty.

No point cutting him.

I'd also question why he'd need restructured to be honest. Do we need more cap space...?

I believe we need to spend most of our cap space due to the new cba. I think every team needs to spend more than 90% or more. So we only need more cap space if we are really active in FA and I think we will be.

I believe we need to spend most of our cap space due to the new cba. I think every team needs to spend more than 90% or more. So we only need more cap space if we are really active in FA and I think we will be.

No, we do not need to spend this year. 2013 is when the floor kicks in and it is a CASH number based on a percent of the unadjusted cap which is an accrual figure. Further, any unused cap space gets rolled forward to adjust our individual cap space up (this was done so that certain team's can reach the floor without busting cap). In any case, it is technically possible to have your floor greater than your cap (don't know why anyone would do this).

Ironically, they caught up just under the key 50 mark that you posted on January 1 . . .

Archived