Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacherreport.com:: Landry Sets the Record Straight about his Surgery and being a Redskin

JeffSchmeff

Hello everyone(first post). I tore my achilles two year ago and know this injury very well. Now I understand every achilles injury is different but 18 months for the injury recovery is unlikely unless there are extreme complications. I had a complete tear, surgery and was back jogging after 4 months and playing soccer, softball and basketball within ten months competively. Obviously, not even close til the level of a pro but with his training and professional rehab he could possibly be ready for training camp if he had the surgery last month and things went smoothly. The key is to be active as possible after surgery to avoid muscle breakdown and he will have the best docs and trainers overseeing his rehab. He is likely fearing the common saying that many professionals fail to return after a achilles tear because it sets them back and is hard to recover from. See the timeline for David Beckham who also tore his achilles. Most doctors agree that full recovery is 1 yr and average is 9 months(much faster for some) and according to my doc it can usually be rehabilitated to 90 to 95% pre surgery in time. This would likely be noticeable for a professional at the safety position.(maybe a reason in his decision) Don't get me wrong, it is a tough tough injury and the rehab is slow/demanding and there are some scary risks with the surgery that probably loom over his head. But I would bet someone like Landry would be back on his feet rather quickly. From what I have learned, this injury is hard to recover with just rest and after the first rehab attempt failed, it is the likely reason docs are leaning toward surgery. On a side note, I will have to post some picture of my 22 foot shuffleboard table I have been building. it is custom made burgundy and gold painted table with Redskins detail.

Hello everyone(first post).

Hey, I'm actually in a medical program right now and have been studying this specific injury for a while. I just had some quick questions.

Did you notice a change in your explosiveness after the injury? I ask because Landry seems to feel he's not 100% and that's why he wasn't going as well this past season. My curiosity is whether he's perceiving the actual drop in explosiveness and perceives that as not being full healed.

Also, was there any bone remodeling pre or post surgery? Do you notice any ongoing aggravations from the injury (little pains here and there, a lack of stretch in the tendon, things like that)? I know the histology of the injury and the healing process, but I'm wondering what the athlete perceives.

Anyway, thanks if you get the time to answer.

And welcome to ES. My only advice is, grow thick skin and take nothing personally.

To be fair to Laron, a lot of people have forgotten that the first thing that sidelined him this past year wasn't necessarily his achilles. At least he says so. I'll take his word for it; give him the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, he sounds like he's really trying to over-justify his decision. "Why would they want me to do this and that?". Because they're doctors, Laron. They know better than you. I have a feeling these words: "‘why would you want to operate on that Achilles’ when there are other options to healing?", aren't exactly what was said to him. Sounds like Larons words. Using his shoulder as an example is whatever because you don't run on your shoulder.

Also bleacherreport is pretty funny. Spelling hiccup as 'hick-up" lol.

i have a feeling Laron will never be fully healed..

correct. his only chance is the surgery.

but at this point, the Redskins only option is to get him to agree to the surgery in writing and then put him on IR for next season and then tag him the following season to see how he does off the surgery.

If he refuses to commit to surgery it will leave the club with no option but to release him.

Either way, he won't be on the field for us this season.

Anyone in here with a medical background have any idea if Biological Matrix treatment for the achilles is a sound reviewed science or crack pot stuff?? If it's sound, it seems he may have a good argument, if not he would be grasping to avoid the surgery.

It actually looks pretty sound and a faster way to fix Achilles. see here: http://www.orthosupersite.com/view.aspx?rid=60137

If he'd of had the surgery when the team wanted after his season was shut down, he'd be back for 2013 at 28 years old and still in his prime. (With over a 70% success rate of athletes having full achilles reconstruction and returning to have a full career.).

Now, if we stick with him, we're gambling on something with no better chance of being a success at best. And looking at loosing him for in effect 3 years or more if he finally does have surgery, given last season and doubtless this coming one have been/ will be more a less a write off.

But what continues to blow my mind is how so many defend the player over the team. The organization pays this guy in riches he's scarcely deserved if we're brutally honest. He's a great age, prized commodity. And if the Redskins, under medical advice, decide the best cause of action to protect that hefty investment in their commodity is for him to have surgery with a good chance to continue his career at a high level at the end of it, or at worse be healthy enough to be a tradeable commodity, then he darn well should of had the surgery way back when. How folk think it's fine for the player to dictate what's going to happen to the team that pays him is utterly beyond me. That's utterly ass backwards right there.

The team has LaRon's and the Redskins best interests at heart in protecting it's investment under the best medical advice.

LaRon Landry has LaRon Landry's interests at heart and little else if you cut to the chase.

I know which side I come down on there as a fan of my team. And it's not the stubborn, selfish players.

Hail.

It's time for a new deal for Landry, so the organization has to look at the cost effectiveness of giving big money to a player coming off an injury to a significant part of an athlete's body.

I love Landry, but can any of you really compile a list of players who have come back 100% from an Achilles injury and play just as well post-injury as they had pre-injury? I'm willing to bet it's a verrrry short list.

Sounds like this relationship is quickly deteriorating. Look forward to lots of bitterness going forward, culminating in Landry signing elsewhere and proclaiming that he's glad to be out of Washington so he can finally be a part of a winning/professional franchise.

ES will then have a meltdown. Wise will write a column. ****ell will call Shanny a racist. Redskins will suck again.

Can't wait. Love being a fan of this team.

I agree with anyone who says that the writing is on the wall for Landry with Fred Davis getting the franchise tag. It doesn't make sense to give Landry a long term contract with all this crap going on with his achilles. Only way you keep Landry is with the tag.

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 03:41 AM ----------

As much as I love the Redskins, I hate to say this but when they want to launch a PR campaign to get rid of a player there is no length to what they are willing to say and do. I'm on record saying that we need to re-sign Landry, if we are truly going to change the negative stigma about our beloved team, we have to re-sign him. Too many players have left our team only to have great success somewhere else. Devin Thomas is the latest name on that list.

:helmet:

... Devin Thomas? A 2nd round pick here who is now a mediocre special teams player for the Giants is a name to add to a list... let me know when he does anything that resembles being a starting WR in the NFL and then maybe you can add Thomas to whatever list you want to add him to. This is pretty ridiculous.

There are two reasons not to give Landry a big time long term contract. The Achilles injury is only one. The other is his production. Take an honest look at his production over the first five years of his contract. He's an okay player with a ton of potential. That potential has almost never been realized. It's hard to believe that after seven years playing in the league with the last two hardly playing that he will become the guy we dreamed about when he was drafted.

He had one really great 8 game stretch, but before that and after that, he was as known for bad angles, blown coverages, and overall mediocre play. As hard as he hits, he doesn't generate turnovers and as fast as he is, how often did he run someone down to break up a pass or prevent the big play?

There is something missing in him and his game. He lives for the hit, the highlight play. That's not enough to be a winner.

A few observations. First, if these truly are direct quotes, the guy cannot articulate complete sentences that even make sense. Second, he has a bit of a Carlos Rodgers attitude and despite the fact that he tries to say all the right things, the tone of his comments to me is he really does not want to be here. The tone of his comments are already such that he is trying to set the fans up that if I leave it's their fault. I think it is clear from the article that unless he does not have other options he will not be a Redskin. So be it as far as I am concerned because if he cannot stay on the field then it doesnt matter what his potential is. You also get the impression from his comments that he thinks much more highly of his career than in fact he has statistics to back it up and that is never a good thing.

I have a few observations:

First, if these truly are direct quotes, then the guy cannot synthesize complete and coherent sentences. Second, he reminds me of Carlos Rogers in terms of his attitude, and despite the fact that he tries to say all of the right things, the tone of his comments seems to be that he really does not want to be here and that he is trying to [i don't even know how to translate this for you].

I think that it is clear from the article that unless he has no other teams willing to sign him, he will not b ea Redskin. That is fine with me, as if he cannot stay on the field, then his potential does not matter.

One can also get the impression that there is a disparity between his understanding of his career and the statistics to validate such a claim.

Isn't it funny how people who ***** about how NFL players speak, as if they're paid to speak, have a very difficult time articulating themselves?

All the negative landry talk is tiresome. Really guys if your a skin fan cut the crap! Why wouldn't u want to see him perform and live up to huis expecatations b4 the injury. Or when talyor was around.

I hope this does work out because I love the way he plays the game. Well except for not wrapping up on hard hitting tackles lol. He gives u everything! What more can u want from a player as a fan!

All the negative landry talk is tiresome. Really guys if your a skin fan cut the crap! Why wouldn't u want to see him perform and live up to huis expecatations b4 the injury. Or when talyor was around.

I hope this does work out because I love the way he plays the game. Well except for not wrapping up on hard hitting tackles lol. He gives u everything! What more can u want from a player as a fan!

Better angles and better coverage of receivers :D

Seriously, I wouldn't mind him back, but he's not a pro-bowl safety, not an all star safety. He's an average to good safety based on what he does on the field. I don't know if that eight game stretch was real or not. He's never replicated it and he never played that way before. At this point, we shouldn't have to guess at what kind of player he will be. We should know.

He's an intense hitter who likes to train away from the camps and is oft injured with uneven play and below average coverage skills.

Too many players have left our team only to have great success somewhere else. Devin Thomas is the latest name on that list.

:helmet:

Devin Thomas is having "great success" somewhere else? A high second round pick caught 3 passes and made a few special teams plays and you really consider that great success?

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 07:26 AM ----------

I for one don't think Landry is done with the Skins because he won't have surgery. The fact is that he hasn't been healthy since the 09 season and considering that he says that they were different injuries to the same area of the body makes it seem even more likely that he'll never be fully (NFL level) healthy again. Beyond that, he misses tons of practice, has sat out most of his training camp time since he's been in DC, and his stats tell us that the's been an average safety at best. If he wasn't such a high draft pick he'd be out of DC for sure this offseason, and nobody would care.

One other thing is the money end of it. He said once publicly that he "might" consider taking a cheap one year deal to stay in DC. He also says lot's of things like "I’m totally dedicated in getting back, getting what I deserve out of the game". IMO, he's only staying here on a cheap one year deal if he doesn't get a better offer from another team.

Take an honest look at his production over the first five years of his contract. He's an okay player with a ton of potential.

Here's another thing.

How much longer can you continue to say that "he has so much potential"

He turns 28 in the first half of next season. He should have been at the height of his potential by now. As he nears 30 and beyond, his body will continuing to break down more. Realistically, even if he was healthy, how many more prime playing years does he have left? 4 .. maybe 5?

He's now a much older version of Malcom Kelly.

Landry is the only player on our team that at his best, is top 3 at his position. But, I understand that if he isn't healthy it's a huge risk to sign him to a contract longer than 1 year. I fully understand why he doesn't want to get the surgery.

But, I really think we should try and bring him back for that 1 year "Try Out". A few reasons why..

1) Gomes and Reed- Gomes was terrible last year. Don't try and say differently. He can't tackle. And I'm not saying he takes bad angles and he doesn't wrap up or anything like that, he is simply to small to tackle the TE's he will be covering with any regularity. Landry as a SS, in 2007, 2010, and 2011... He rarely misses tackles. Not even close to as much as he did in 2009 as a FS. And Reed is a VERY smart player. He is always in the right place at the right time, he knows what's going to happen before the WR or TE does some of the time, but it doesn't matter because he is so slow. Sooooo slow. Sooooooo slow.. Just think about this.. Gronk CARRIED Reed AND Gomes for about 5 yards.. As much as some of you hate LL.. That wouldn't have happened with LaRon by himself. Think, this year against Marshawn Lynch he went way high on him and still brought him down by himself.

2) He has never had a bad year at SS. In 2007, he was a slightly above average SS as a complement to ST. He was 3x as good in his Rookie year as Gomes was. In 2010 for the 9 game he played in, he was the 2nd best SS in football. And in 2011, for the 8 games he plate in he was average, playing with a bum hammy and achillies. He did not play badly last year. He just wasn't very good. He was... Average.

3) We are on our way up (Hopefully). And Landry is a PERFECT player for a good team. With a crazy crowd in a PO atmosphere.

Archived