Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacherreport.com:: Landry Sets the Record Straight about his Surgery and being a Redskin

JeffSchmeff

Landry did more than just once or twice. 10 times or more is a fair estimate.

So what if he did? What are we, the head coach? Are we supposed to scold him?

NFL is so weird, people are so involved, so emotionally invested, they talk and act like coaches. Just root for you guy, geez.

If you DON'T like him, and don't want to root for him, you need a better reason than a tackle celebration IMO.

So what if he did? What are we, the head coach? Are we supposed to scold him?

NFL is so weird, people are so involved, so emotionally invested, they talk and act like coaches. Just root for you guy, geez.

If you DON'T like him, and don't want to root for him, you need a better reason than a tackle celebration IMO.

I am not longball. Stop treating me as if I were him. However, one thing I wilil mention is that if you got your ass kicked and you're proud of being ass kicked, then you have a strange thought process. It is not that he celebrates, but that he does so after giving up first downs.

I am not longball. Stop treating me as if I were him. However, one thing I wilil mention is that if you got your ass kicked and you're proud of being ass kicked, then you have a strange thought process. It is not that he celebrates, but that he does so after giving up first downs.

So he needs to work on his judgment about when to celebrate. That's agreed upon, but it has nothing to do with his overall ability.

Rehabing an achilles is a bad move, which is what I stated. Non-weight bearing, time and luck are all that will potentially heal it. He said he didn't sit on his butt, and thus this hurt his recovery. Landry is a gym rat, look at him and you know he is a physical specimen--this desire to continue to lift hurts his recovery That time has passed and he didn't do that so its time for him to be put under the knife. By surgery I meant he never had it cut and repaired like many recommended. By the way, i know plenty about the biologic matrix marketplace, its marketing and any ortho surgeon will tell you its essentially a form of PRP. If he doesn't get surgery and he does come back, he will not last longer than 8 games. But I am sure you know more than me. i am just involved in Sports medicine surgery on a weekly basis. But hey you know more than me.

I didn't claim I knew more than you, just that your "facts" ij your first post were not in synch with what was said in the article. Plus, now you're saying Landry needed to give the post-surgery achilles time to heal, yet you started off your post by saying he gave it too much time to heal which caused a re-injury. So again which is it?

Only 1 recommended the full cut, which is Dr. Andrews, the team followed suit since he is the team doctor. But Dr. Andrews recommended the first surgery and Laron did get that one done. Your post implied that Laron never had a single surgery, which isn't true.

The article claims what Laron is getting now is not the same as PRP. I am not an expert in that stuff, so I went with the article over a random message board poster whose statements on the situation were not in line with the article.

---------- Post added February-11th-2012 at 05:00 PM ----------

I love how Landry hits a guy after a 15 yard run and celebrates his tackle. This guy is one of the GREATS!! True burgundy and gold material.

---------- Post added February-11th-2012 at 02:19 PM ----------

I suppose without the injury it would be a 14 yard gain tackle, with a spectacular celebration. Love when he flex's---its what football is about in my book.

Comments like this make your other posts have even more merit!

Funny though, because when people perceive a player as doing well, then they love the intensity from a player. But if that player struggles ever so slightly, because of scheme, coaching, a down game or season, or because of injury, then certain people just love to bring out the exaggerations.

Sorry, but as houston pointed out in post 145, experts, who watch game film, believe Landry is a good player. So if this myth of Landry routinely giving up long passes and celebrating were true, then those experts wouldn't hold the favorable opinions of Landry that they do.

I think you and I just disagree. We will need to see how it plays out. I do view Landry as an individual. Who is know claiming the victim role in the article.

Let us see what happens, I would love to be wrong. But knowing what I know, he will be lucky to play 8 games. And he will be nursing during that time.

---------- Post added February-11th-2012 at 09:56 PM ----------

After a big gain? Nope, only once or twice.

Look at the tape my friend.

THANK YOU! Here's a breakdown of what happens:

Redskins fans: continue to think the team is better than it is and has a legitimate shot after most offseasons (I fall in this category often too)

Other fans: continue to think the Redskins are farther off than they are and are still under the impressions we are coached/GM'ed by people with the inadequacy of Zorn/Cerrato.

Redskins fans: despite thinking the team is good, the majority VASTLY underrate several of our individually talented players (i.e. Orakpo, Landry, Wilson, Williams etc.). Only players they like/celebrate are rookies/2nd year players (plus Fletcher) that play well, but as soon as they don't hit 20 sack seasons, 1500 yards receiving, etc by the time they are 3rd year players or so, the fans turn on them and begin to underrate them again.

Other fans: see the talent and perhaps overvalue some players but are closer to recognizing the talent those players possess. Ask any fan of another team if they'd like to see Landry leave us or even join their team, they'll let you know.

Exactomundo :D

Laron is clearly worried about getting a contract. I've said it before, I think he's pretty replaceable. He's a good player if he's healthy, but I think we might have a Shawn Merriman case on our hands here. Look around the league, teams just don't pay big contracts out to safeties unless their names are Polamalu, or Reed. Landry clearly isn't close to the players those guys are.

I think it's time to move on and spend the money elsewhere. We can't go into another season with Landry at starter (resign Doughty because he's cheap and we spent too much on Landry) then in week 5 Doughty is our starting safety. It's just not going to cut it anymore.

There are a lot of decent secondary players that are free agents this year and I think the Redskins should take advantage of it.

Oh a yahoo article. Touche. It says he celebrates like he 'won the superbowl'. Think the writer's a little biased? Exaggerating a bit?

Besides, I don't care if you show me 20 times that he did a tackle celebration. Why are you taking such joy in shooting down your own player, as well as your own fellow poster on this board? I don't care what he does after a tackle, I don't care what he drinks on the sideline, I don't care what his favorite TV shows are. It doesn't matter. What matters is, he's injured. When he's not injured, he plays very well. So far, the reasoning to want to get rid of Landry is that he celebrates too much and that he's injured?

---------- Post added February-12th-2012 at 12:32 PM ----------

Landry clearly isn't close to the players those guys are..

Polamalu is exactly who he was compared to, and was playing in a way that would have had many consider him DPOY OVER Polamalu, had he stayed healthy. Some of you need to stop and think, and realize what DPOY stands for. Some of you need to remember how well he played. And some of you need to stop speaking so matter-of-fact-ly about how what kind of player he will be after this injury. You are not a fortune teller. Neither am I, but oh, I dunno, I just choose to be optimistic about my favorite football team.

So I say again, why are people mad at Laron Landry for being injured? The way he's going about fixing his injury? Sure, you can have your opinion on that, but as fans we can't really know all the inner workings of such a thing.

So, you post a video of him doing it, after Hitman agreed that he HAS done it, and you try and rub it in his face?

Again, Landry doesn't normally "Celebrate" after a firstdown or a big gain. He just looks at them and talks trash. Which in some cases works. Dez Bryant said LaRon scared the bejeezus out of him because of him walking around talking trash..

Oh a yahoo article. Touche. It says he celebrates like he 'won the superbowl'. Think the writer's a little biased? Exaggerating a bit?

Besides, I don't care if you show me 20 times that he did a tackle celebration. Why are you taking such joy in shooting down your own player, as well as your own fellow poster on this board? I don't care what he does after a tackle, I don't care what he drinks on the sideline, I don't care what his favorite TV shows are. It doesn't matter. What matters is, he's injured. When he's not injured, he plays very well. So far, the reasoning to want to get rid of Landry is that he celebrates too much and that he's injured?

I happen to care how a player acts after a tackle is made, and so did a very classy all heart & guts player London Fletcher. I celebrate shooting him down because I think he brings a negative individual attitude to the team that is trying to seperate form such cancer. He says different in this article but he has always acted as an individual. Its been a couple years since Landry was all over the field. I feel he handled his injury wrong from the getgo. The point of the board is expressing your opinions. Which you are doing i your post, I just happen to think you're wrong and way off base.

---------- Post added February-12th-2012 at 03:46 PM ----------

So, you post a video of him doing it, after Hitman agreed that he HAS done it, and you try and rub it in his face?

Again, Landry doesn't normally "Celebrate" after a firstdown or a big gain. He just looks at them and talks trash. Which in some cases works. Dez Bryant said LaRon scared the bejeezus out of him because of him walking around talking trash..

I was not attmepting to rub it in anyone's face, I provided an additional source to my position and opinion. I learned this in Jr High School.

It wasn't a video just an article, maybe it has merit and maybe it does not. But London, the leader of the defense thought it was a problem this season as he confronted Landry on such antics.

I view Landrys trash talk and the celebration as one of the same. He makes a tackle and his jaw doesn't stop moving most of the time. I also think that he makes terrible judgement calls, just look at his late hit record. As for the Dez Bryant reference if this happened, your saying he was affraid of Landry for his trash talking? Words hurt you know.... I guess if this did happen we can chalk it up to him being a Baby Cowboy.

Hey, I'm actually in a medical program right now and have been studying this specific injury for a while. I just had some quick questions.

Did you notice a change in your explosiveness after the injury? I ask because Landry seems to feel he's not 100% and that's why he wasn't going as well this past season. My curiosity is whether he's perceiving the actual drop in explosiveness and perceives that as not being full healed.

Also, was there any bone remodeling pre or post surgery? Do you notice any ongoing aggravations from the injury (little pains here and there, a lack of stretch in the tendon, things like that)? I know the histology of the injury and the healing process, but I'm wondering what the athlete perceives.

Anyway, thanks if you get the time to answer.

And welcome to ES. My only advice is, grow thick skin and take nothing personally.

Sorry it took a while but since the topic is Landry's achiles injury I will reply on this ongoing post. Regarding explosiveness after injury. full sprint(on toes) was difficult during 6-9 month post but once full calf strength came back at 10 months, explosiveness is back. I even had some people say I was faster.

I had no aggravations from injury and no bone remodeling

Check out achillesblog.com if you are interested in hundreds of people's recovery. I believe the key is to be active as possible after surgery, I was full weight bearing in boot seven days after surgery and back to work(on my feet all day as a PE teacher). After the stitches were out, he wanted me on my feet( full weight bearing in a boot six weeks) but walking. Rehab without a boot started at six weeks and I was full weight bearing in shoes 10 weeks, jogging by 4 months. New studies are showing that this is speeding up recovery and the WORST thing you can do is sit on your &^%. Keep in mind every achiles injury is different and it appears he needed some other procedures done with surgery. However in my non-medical opinion it is not out of the question that he would of been back for next yr healthy if he had gotten the surgery two months ago. I do wonder if landry wore a boot at all during his first go around because other studies have shown that this can be effective since it gives the tendon time to heal and will not allow it to be stretched at all. It is very hard to wear that boot though, it is like wearing one high heal all day for six weeks straight.

Speaking as physical therapy student...

Does anyone actually know what they are going to do if they are doing surgery on his achilles?

Because, generally speaking, outcomes are probably going to different significantly from a full tear, to a partial tear, to excising parts of chronic degenerated tendon and fixing it up.

For the most part from what I've seen in the clinic and having a couple friends who have torn them, you get around 90-95% ability back around 8-12 months (depending on how rehab goes). And around 100% in 1.5-2 years.. the last little bit like ACLs can take a bit to get back.

The things he has going for him to improve his recovery rate is that he's still fairly young, has good genetics (anyone in the NFL needs fairly good genetics to be there), rehab being his full time job as an athlete, etc. I wouldn't say 90-95% at 6-8 months would be out of the question for an elite athlete who have pretty much the best rehab people money can buy.

But the difference between a couple percentage points of ability is also the difference between 4.4 and 4.5 or 4.6 40 speed. So getting the last little bit back is extremely important. He may be able to play "good" next season if he had the surgery earlier this year, but maybe not elite.

I think he is thinking that he wants to see if non-invasive procedures can jump start healing more than already has as rehab will be much shorter to getting back to "elite"

But I guess we'll have to see...

This whole conversation has jumped the shark. You clearly aren't being honest. This thread is at the point it needs to be closed. It has run it's course.

I'm not being honest? How so?

My stance has always been that, while he has been known to do that stuff on occasion, by no means is it a "regular occurrence" that some on here would like to suggest.

...and yes, I would rather him not do it. But by no means is it a deal breaker as to whether or not I would like the F.O. to resign him.

When healthy, Landry is one of the premier safeties in the league. That's not Hitman the Homer saying it, that's many an NFL scout who say it. He is a difference maker and should be a key cog for the foreseeable future in our defense. I'm willing to overlook a couple instances of misplaced showmanship (which everyone is prone to, not just Landry) to make our defense better for the long haul.

That's been my stance from day 1. What about that isn't honest?

Archived