Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacherreport.com:: Landry Sets the Record Straight about his Surgery and being a Redskin

JeffSchmeff

Its good to hear his side of the story. I now understand where he is coming from. An achilles surgery probably would greatly impact his career negatively. The guy is already 27. If he had the surgery he'd be out for 1-2 years. Sometimes you have to do what's best for you. I am hoping the Skins are able to resign him. We really can't afford to lose impact players offensively or defensively.

I hope for his sake he's right, but the fact is that for over a year now he has been hurt.

True, but he did have surgery on the achilles when it first got hurt, but it didn't fully heal. The same doctor then wanted to cut him open and remove tendons and shave bone, which would be debilitating, cause a year and a half recovery time, and could permanently limit Laron's range. Other doctor's said that surgery was unnecessary, recommended the treatment he's seeking now, and Dr. Andrews, the original one, has now said he supports that treatment. Dr. Andrew's is the team doctor, so he has to err on the side of caution, but it is possible he is mistaken in Laron's case, since his initial surgery didn't fully take, and Laron comes back well from the new treatment.

Remember, Laron hadn't missed a game in his football career up to this point, so it stands to reason that if he does fully recover from the achilles that he could be good to go. The treatment he is getting now has yielded successful regenration and recovery, so hopefully that occurs in Landry's case. If he can return to form, then having a 27 year old safety being able to play at the level he did at strong safety before the injury would be immensely valuable to the Redskins. Plus, having a dedicated player who wants to be here and is excited to work with Raheem Morris (who wouldn't be though?) is also a good thing to have.

I can understand him not wanting the surgery as there is a risk that even if it's successful he would lose some range of motion and some of his explosion. He might never be the same player again.

The thing is this alternative therapy is a crap shoot as well, with lower odds of it solving the underlying problem and a good chance he ends up right back where we are now - with him needing surgery. No team is going to sign him to a long term contract with guaranteed money until he can prove he is healthy and I don't see that being possible until he has played through 2013 in some way.

I think he is looking at getting a 1 year 'prove it deal' or a multi year with a team opt out after 1 year with very little upfront money but a big roster bonus before the 2nd year. I'm not sure we will be the team giving him that deal.

Yeah it would be a bummer to see him walk. Carlos Rogers said it best that this organization lets its homegrown talent walk. It is time to put this to an end. Would be hard to watch dirty 30 playing the hell out of an NFL field like we all know that he is more than capable of doing in another uniform. It is a risk we must take to start finally keeping some homegrown talent.

I can understand him not wanting the surgery as there is a risk that even if it's successful he would lose some range of motion and some of his explosion. He might never be the same player again.

The thing is this alternative therapy is a crap shoot as well, with lower odds of it solving the underlying problem and a good chance he ends up right back where we are now - with him needing surgery. No team is going to sign him to a long term contract with guaranteed money until he can prove he is healthy and I don't see that being possible until he has played through 2013 in some way.

I think he is looking at getting a 1 year 'prove it deal' or a multi year with a team opt out after 1 year with very little upfront money but a big roster bonus before the 2nd year. I'm not sure we will be the team giving him that deal.

Since the surgery would take him out for a year and a half, I don't see why he wouldn't try everything possible first to heal up to avoid that. If he has to have the surgery then no team is going to sign him right now anyways. The Skins have a little over a month to decide, Landry has a little over a month to see if this new procedure works. If he's going to be out for a year and a half because of surgery, then 1 month isn't hurting things, especially when the reward would be great and would mean we don't lose him for a year and a half and he doesn't come back to play until he's 29 and possibly is not the same player as before. The team is hesitant because of what their doctor recommended.

Since the surgery would take him out for a year and a half, I don't see why he wouldn't try everything possible first to heal up to avoid that. If he has to have the surgery then no team is going to sign him right now anyways. The Skins have a little over a month to decide, Landry has a little over a month to see if this new procedure works. If he's going to be out for a year and a half because of surgery, then 1 month isn't hurting things, especially when the reward would be great and would mean we don't lose him for a year and a half and he doesn't come back to play until he's 29 and possibly is not the same player as before. The team is hesitant because of what their doctor recommended.

I agree he has a tough decision and as I said I can see why he is trying to avoid surgery. He is not going to be able to prove his health in a month, he can't do that until he has been through OTAs, camp and preseason and there is no reaction and has shown he has full function. There is no way I can see that he can show any team he is going to be healthy by the time free agency starts.

It really does not matter at this point. He is not going to get the money he's going to want. His days in DC are over.

Money is not the issue that will make Landry go elsewhere, it's solely his health. He has said before he'll accept a reasonable deal, that he's not looking to be top paid at his position.

Yeah it would be a bummer to see him walk. Carlos Rogers said it best that this organization lets its homegrown talent walk. It is time to put this to an end. Would be hard to watch dirty 30 playing the hell out of an NFL field like we all know that he is more than capable of doing in another uniform. It is a risk we must take to start finally keeping some homegrown talent.

I don't think that applies anymore. Antonio Pierce and Ryan Clark happened years ago, under a different management group. Rogers was never as good for us while he was here as he was in San Fran. And who knows if he'll even be in San Fran next year - he's holding out for big bucks after playing on a one year deal. What other homegrown talent have we let walk? Rock Cartwright?

Money is not the issue that will make Landry go elsewhere, it's solely his health. He has said before he'll accept a reasonable deal, that he's not looking to be top paid at his position.

I should have said "from the Redskins" at the end of my post. Someone will pay him some nice money. But it wont be Washington.

I wish LL30 the best but I'm skeptical that he'll be healthy. And I doubt seriously that any team out there will offer him any more than the Vet minimum + incentives. I think Bob Sanders from Indy scared a lot of teams off from investing heavily in a player that can't seem to stay healthy; even if he is a beast when his body is right. I also have to wonder if he's seeing some of the same people Springs was seeing in Arizona. When he came back looking like a Strong Safety. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that there's a big HGH regimen that he's going thru.

Anyone in here with a medical background have any idea if Biological Matrix treatment for the achilles is a sound reviewed science or crack pot stuff?? If it's sound, it seems he may have a good argument, if not he would be grasping to avoid the surgery.

Yeah it would be a bummer to see him walk. Carlos Rogers said it best that this organization lets its homegrown talent walk. .

The problem is there is serious challenge to how much some of these players who become the subjects of this kind of debate really are giving their team, bottom-line, in relation to cost, time, and effort (using team resources like coaching energy too). Other than Antonio Pierce for example, there is a lot to question about what the overall cost-to-benefit ratio has been with players like Carlos and Landry (and B. Lloyd,for instance) while on the 'skins and where it's at when they depart---not to mention how determined the player might be on his own to leave, for how ever he perceives or views his place in DC at the point in his career.

It's not an automatically accurate negative reflection (though fans often like to play if that way) on a team when a player leaves it under such debate and does better on the next team. It's often (as in Carlos & Brandon) at least as much about the player getting better on his own effort and improvements facilitated by other players on the new team then "things the coaches/FO did wrong with him."

Landry presents a quite debatable cost-to-benefit ratio with all things considered, and if he doesn't stay here as a result and yet does well elsewhere, that's the category I think it's most likely to be representative of, and not some "the FO screwed the pooch again on homegrown talent" theme.

I think he will be a Redskin next year. I hope so anyways. They should tag him and then discuss a long term deal after the season provided he can stay healthy.

Reports are we will be using the tag on Davis so that would not be an option for Landry.

Archived