Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacherreport.com:: Landry Sets the Record Straight about his Surgery and being a Redskin

JeffSchmeff

Landry is the only player on our team that at his best, is top 3 at his position.

With the greatest respect, NO player on the current Redskins roster is a top 3 league wide at his position, save maybe Fletch and Roca at a push. There's players like Williams and the OLB's who have the potential to push up there, but that's all that currently is. (Certainly not LL, but we've debated him to death so I won't rehash the counter argument why he's far from that.).

The only place that people think that is Redskin's nation. The place where we continue to overate our players in defiant B&G pride.

Hail.

It's hard to believe that after seven years playing in the league with the last two hardly playing that he will become the guy we dreamed about when he was drafted.

He hasn't been playing in the league 7 years. He was drafted in 2007. He's played 5, with the last two being cut short due to injury. Where are you getting 7?

With the greatest respect, NO player on the current Redskins roster is a top 3 league wide at his position, save maybe Fletch and Roca at a push. There's players like Williams and the OLB's who have the potential to push up there, but that's all that currently is. (Certainly not LL, but we've debated him to death so I won't rehash the counter argument why he's far from that.).

The only place that people think that is Redskin's nation. The place where we continue to overate our players in defiant B&G pride.

Hail.

To be honest, Redskins Nation is one of the few places where most DON'T believe he's a beast.

I don't think that applies anymore. Antonio Pierce and Ryan Clark happened years ago, under a different management group. Rogers was never as good for us while he was here as he was in San Fran. And who knows if he'll even be in San Fran next year - he's holding out for big bucks after playing on a one year deal. What other homegrown talent have we let walk? Rock Cartwright?
Would disagree slightly, last year was when they let Rogers go, and last year was with this management team. Many on the board recognized that Rogers was a better cover corner than Hall. He hasn't improved his coverage skills, which were always very good. What he has improved is his ability to hold on to interceptions he got into position to get. The Skins could have kept him for the same amount San Francisco got him for. Even the "bad" Rogers of last year is a better corner than the guys we replaced him wth.

Derrick Dockery was another one they let go. Before Buffalo took him with the $64 million dollar deal, the Skins, as every team does, could have opted to make a reasonable offer. The Skins were right not to try and compete with that type of money. But the offer was never made and the skill level of the OL suffered for it. Like it or not, at the time, Dockery was a fair OL and better than the guys that replaced him.

Yes, Pierce and Clark were way back earlier in the decade, but it was the attitude of the ownership and lack of recognition of talent that was so galling. Clark is still playing at a very high level. And Pierce was a keystone of the Giants defense for a few years after he left the Skins. He was a smart, capable player. Yet the reports published at the time said that Vinny/Snyder told both of them that if they thought they could get better money elsewhere they should go for it. Both did, and the Skins had to look for other talent to fill a need they shouldn't have had. With a little more brainy negotiating instead of the "My way or the highway" type negotiating, the resources expended to get their replacements could have been spent on other areas while keeping the home grown talent.

To be honest, Redskins Nation is one of the few places where most DON'T believe he's a beast.

THANK YOU! Here's a breakdown of what happens:

Redskins fans: continue to think the team is better than it is and has a legitimate shot after most offseasons (I fall in this category often too)

Other fans: continue to think the Redskins are farther off than they are and are still under the impressions we are coached/GM'ed by people with the inadequacy of Zorn/Cerrato.

Redskins fans: despite thinking the team is good, the majority VASTLY underrate several of our individually talented players (i.e. Orakpo, Landry, Wilson, Williams etc.). Only players they like/celebrate are rookies/2nd year players (plus Fletcher) that play well, but as soon as they don't hit 20 sack seasons, 1500 yards receiving, etc by the time they are 3rd year players or so, the fans turn on them and begin to underrate them again.

Other fans: see the talent and perhaps overvalue some players but are closer to recognizing the talent those players possess. Ask any fan of another team if they'd like to see Landry leave us or even join their team, they'll let you know.

LaRon Landry plays on a bad team, he's never been to a Pro Bowl, and he has never intercepted more than two passes in a season. His highlights are hard hits in meaningless games.

So why would anyone outside of DC know who he is, let alone think he's great? Nobody knows who London Fletcher is, and he has a Super Bowl ring, and has put up All-Pro numbers every season for 65 years.

LaRon Landry plays on a bad team, he's never been to a Pro Bowl, and he has never intercepted more than two passes in a season. His highlights are hard hits in meaningless games.

So why would anyone outside of DC know who he is, let alone think he's great? Nobody knows who London Fletcher is, and he has a Super Bowl ring, and has put up All-Pro numbers every season for 65 years.

Because he was drafted high. I'm sure he has a "sizzle reel" that'll get some fans from other teams excited when they see him laying out players. And they'll say, "I know that he just laid out his own teammate and the WR scored, but just imagine if he learns how to correct that and actually plays the right player!!"

I'm okay with giving Landry another shot at a one year deal, but I don't see it happening. Most likely I see is bringing in a guy like Tyvon Branch and never looking back.

How nice would this be at the safety position: "Branch played 99.13% of Oakland’s defensive snaps last season."

I always thought Landry was an idiot but his comments in this article prove it to me. Of course the second, third and fourth opinion guys will give you options to heal other than the surgery because guess what? those doctors are not the ones that will be paid for the surgery, the doctor will only get paid if you take the other treatment option that they offered. As for the plasma treatment, that will not heal an achillies injury on it's own, it will speed up the healing process after the surgery is done, but it won't actually heal the injury, but I bet his doctor that is performing this on him told him it will work.

My cousin does this plasma treatment stuff, and she stopped providing services to US based athletes in the 4 major sports since most of them wrongly believe that the plasma treatment is a miracle cure when it is not, it simply speeds up healing of a localized area by increasing the number of "repairing" blood cells (can't remember if those are white or red). Laron does not want to hear that he will miss 1 year plus, so he found a doctor that would not tell him that, and instead told him what he wanted to hear, just like a sleezy used car salesman only this one wears a white coat that provides a certain level of credibility.

Laron, this is the beginning of the end of your career, hope you enjoyed your time in the NFL, cause there won't be much left after opting for a different form of treatment.

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 03:07 PM ----------

I always thought Landry was an idiot but his comments in this article prove it to me. Of course the second, third and fourth opinion guys will give you options to heal other than the surgery because guess what? those doctors are not the ones that will be paid for the surgery, the doctor will only get paid if you take the other treatment option that they offered. As for the plasma treatment, that will not heal an achillies injury on it's own, it will speed up the healing process after the surgery is done, but it won't actually heal the injury, but I bet his doctor that is performing this on him told him it will work.

My cousin does this plasma treatment stuff, and she stopped providing services to US based athletes in the 4 major sports since most of them wrongly believe that the plasma treatment is a miracle cure when it is not, it simply speeds up healing of a localized area by increasing the number of "repairing" blood cells (can't remember if those are white or red). Laron does not want to hear that he will miss 1 year plus, so he found a doctor that would not tell him that, and instead told him what he wanted to hear, just like a sleezy used car salesman only this one wears a white coat that provides a certain level of credibility.

Laron, this is the beginning of the end of your career, hope you enjoyed your time in the NFL, cause there won't be much left after opting for a different form of treatment. So long you walking 15 yard penalty.

i can't help but think a lot people's infatuation with Always Hurty 30 (myself included) directly correlates to a fond remembrance of the late, great sean taylor and what could have been.

st and landry were Area 51--- a surefire bet to be the greatest safety tandem the league had ever seen. the fact it didn't work out like that is still a very tough pill to swallow.

people so desperately want LL to be good because he was supposed to be part of something really special in washington. it's hard to let go of what could've been and see laron for what he really is: a oft-injured, average safety.

If I was Landry, I might make the same decision with regard to treatment, I have no idea. But he has to realize that anything other than a middle of the road contract is just not worth it. He has to realize he's damaged goods, and simply hasn't been on the field for far too many games. If he does, and he wants to accept a reasonable contract, I'm sure he could have a place here. Otherwise, he's gone. He has to know this.

All real fans know of Landry....he is on the Injury list every Sunday...

As much as I love the Redskins, I hate to say this but when they want to launch a PR campaign to get rid of a player there is no length to what they are willing to say and do. I'm on record saying that we need to re-sign Landry, if we are truly going to change the negative stigma about our beloved team, we have to re-sign him. Too many players have left our team only to have great success somewhere else. Devin Thomas is the latest name on that list.

:helmet:

A couple fumble recoveries, some kick returns(and he was benched for a bit earlier this season), and not being utilized as a receiver is hardly a great success.

Would disagree slightly, last year was when they let Rogers go, and last year was with this management team. Many on the board recognized that Rogers was a better cover corner than Hall. He hasn't improved his coverage skills, which were always very good. What he has improved is his ability to hold on to interceptions he got into position to get. The Skins could have kept him for the same amount San Francisco got him for. Even the "bad" Rogers of last year is a better corner than the guys we replaced him wth.

Carlos Rogers could not reasonably "capgeek" himself and properly evaluate the market for him. Even if we exclude Washington from the market of buying football players' services, there are 31 other teams that could put in a bid for his service at his initial price, which was in the range of what Cromartie and Johnathan Joesph got. No one, not even San Francisco, give him that money or length of contract. San Francisco took him at a discount of 4.5 million, and with a 1 year deal, which was far less than what Rogers wanted. So what if he didn't want to be here, he did NOT play well enough to justify his obscenely high contract demands of 7+million , and all of the other teams were in agreement during the last FA period, even San Francisco.

Not only that, but we would have been rewarding Carlos Rogers for what he was BEFORE he stepped up his game, and what Carlos WAS BEFORE he was in San Fran was nowhere near his improvement in pursuit of a contract. Not even Albert Haynesworth got a big payday without busting out a couple good contract years first.

Carlos Rogers could not reasonably "capgeek" himself and properly evaluate the market for him. Even if we exclude Washington from the market of buying football players' services, there are 31 other teams that could put in a bid for his service at his initial price, which was in the range of what Cromartie and Johnathan Joesph got. No one, not even San Francisco, give him that money or length of contract. San Francisco took him at a discount of 4.5 million, and with a 1 year deal, which was far less than what Rogers wanted. So what if he didn't want to be here, he did NOT play well enough to justify his obscenely high contract demands of 7+million , and all of the other teams were in agreement during the last FA period, even San Francisco.

Not only that, but we would have been rewarding Carlos Rogers for what he was BEFORE he stepped up his game, and what Carlos WAS BEFORE he was in San Fran was nowhere near his improvement in pursuit of a contract. Not even Albert Haynesworth got a big payday without busting out a couple good contract years first.

The truth hurts for many but not for eye ;)

That's because those on the outside have only see the highlight reel hits. We the long suffering Skins fans have watched every play of his career and know how many plays he missed in between those hits. You should know that.

But because of the long suffering some Skins fans are jaded and if they see any sign of struggle they assume failure is inevitable and thus give up on players too soon, especially if they get injured at any point or are a high draft pick and aren't immediately top 3 in the league at their position.

But because of the long suffering some Skins fans are jaded and if they see any sign of struggle they assume failure is inevitable and thus give up on players too soon, especially if they get injured at any point or are a high draft pick and aren't immediately top 3 in the league at their position.

truth.

I don't blame the guy for not wanting the surgery, look at Kemo after his, he was never the same.

There's no guarantee Landry would come back at 100% 2 years later,, that's a lifetime in the NFL.

I say give him a shot and see if he can hold up.

This is a fantastic point that should be bought up more often.

Archived