Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Virginia adding ‘conscience clause’ to adoption laws

SkinInsite

RICHMOND — Virginia will likely become the second state in the nation — after North Dakota — to allow private adoption agencies to turn away parents based on sexual orientation or religious and moral beliefs.

The General Assembly is considering a measure that would add a “conscience clause’’ to Virginia law that would allow state-funded, faith-based agencies to choose which parents are suitable for adoption based on the agencies’ beliefs.

Daniel Gri and James Abbott, who adopted two sons in California, say that through the proposed guidelines their adopted home of Virginia is further hampering gay people from adopting.

“It makes it seem like it’s not about sexual orientation,” said Gri, who lives in Oakton. “That’s a technique anti-gay organizations use.’’

But supporters of the legislation say it would protect religious freedom by *allowing birth parents to choose an agency — and as a result, adoptive parents — who adhere to their religious beliefs.

“This measure will chisel into law the principle that people of faith can adhere to their convictions without fear of reprisal from those who would discriminate against their religious beliefs regarding how we should raise our children,” said House Deputy Majority Leader C. Todd Gilbert(R-Shenandoah).

The legislation’s fate became clear after Republicans took control of the state Senate and gained an even heftier majority in the House. The House voted overwhelmingly to pass the measure last week, largely along party lines, while the Senate is expected to vote this week.

Gov. Robert F. McDonnell ® is expected to sign the legislation. He has repeatedly said that faith-based organizations should be able to make their own policies.

Virginia has 77 private agencies, 16 of them faith-based. They placed 557 of the state’s 2,503 adoptions last year, according to state figures. In total, the agencies and 120 local social services departments received $144 million in state and federal funds for child placement last year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/virginia-adding-conscience-clause-to-adoption-laws/2012/02/03/gIQAUJ6gxQ_story.html

Religious beliefs? Yep. I can see that in some circumstances. I wouldn't let one of those loons that won't take a child to the doctor because "God will fix it" adopt a baby. But I could also see that being abused. We can't let those evil Muslims have our kids.

Sexual orientation is ridiculous. Period.

Upon further review, I want to opine on this part too. :dunce:

Religious beliefs? Yep. I can see that in some circumstances. I wouldn't let one of those loons that won't take a child to the doctor because "God will fix it" adopt a baby. But I could also see that being abused. We can't let those evil Muslims have our kids.

You can pretty easily draft the law to speak to general unfitness to be a parent if someone doesnt believe in doctors, you don't need to single out religious beliefs. And I say this as someone with no religious beliefs.

Kudos to the forward-thinking of people like those in the great state of VA who are willing to impede this process of ruining perfectly good heterosexual Christian babies by allowing them to be taken by non-Christian homosexuals. This is exactly what the Founding Fathers wrote into our original Bill of Constitutions.

I dont dislike McDonnell generally. He seems to do stuff like this just to make a point about being a conservative sometimes.

Agreed. And some of those things are going to come back and bite him hard in '16. I expect him to be effective in the "Clinton shift" he's going to have to make though.

I agree too that it would make more sense to define "unfitness" as thoroughly as possible, instead of going after the religious aspect. But that **** would actually take effort.

As tax payers we are funding organizations that are allowed to discriminate?

How about we just fund those organizations that agree to act in the best interest of the kids, and within the law.

Homosexuals are not a protected class when it comes to discrimination protection.

---------- Post added February-8th-2012 at 03:10 PM ----------

As tax payers we are funding organizations that are allowed to discriminate?

How about we just fund those organizations that agree to act in the best interest of the kids, and within the law.

No, no. That would discriminate against bigots.

And orphans. :ols:

Homosexuals are not a protected class when it comes to discrimination protection.

---------- Post added February-8th-2012 at 03:10 PM ----------

And orphans. :ols:

So long as no kid is placed in a home where the parents believe NASCAR is a sport, I'm OK with it.

Another step backwards.

How many studies need to be done and for how long until it is shown that these kids who have been adopted by same sex parents grow up normally and typically are well adjusted to society?

I wonder, do the kids who have been in foster care for 7 or 8 years thank these closeminded politicians for preventing them from going to a loving home?

~Bang

Religion and sexual orientation shouldn't have to be a part of the decision as to whether or not someone is a good person and would be a good parent. Atheists, muslims, christians, etc. are all capable of being good people, same with hetero- and homosexuals.

The potential for legalized discrimination here is alarming, but since it is for private agencies then it's up to the couple giving the child up for adoption to choose an agency that fits what they want for the child. It's just too bad, IMO, that some care more about religious affiliation or sexual orientation and assume that only people of their particular flock would be fit for parenthood, and that such a provision would reinforce that close-mindedness. If they really care about what religion the child is raised under, if they are really that devout, then why not raise the child themselves?

Archived