Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Indystar - Peyton Manning: Irsay, not Grigson, will decide his future with Colts (Merged with other Manning News)

papaSkins27

Of course and my first direction is to draft a guy. We need a bonafide 10+ year, drafted stud to lead the team for the future. But alas, I really don't see Manning signing here.

That's true. I think Peyton is too smart to do that. Shanahan doesn't seem like a coach who'd let him do his thing at the LOS as much as Dungy or Caldwell, plus the organization's dysfunctions make it not that attractive of a place currently. I'm sure he wants to go somewhere he'll contend for a championship.

However, given how bad the Colts are without him, you'd think he could pretty much make ANYONE a Super Bowl contender. lol

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Whether we sign Manning, Flynn, Orton, whomever...if we don't land RG3 or Luck this year we are going to be looking for a new QB in 3 years. None of the other QBs this year are going to become franchise QBs (and I felt this way even before Jones and Barkley went back to school). Signing a veteran stopgap like Manning will only make it that much harder to land a blue-chip prospect. The time is now because we were bad enough to be in position for a guy if we can trade up. If we're picking in the high teens 2 years from now, we won't have a shot.

A lot of the franchise qb's currently playing were drafted outside of the top 10. It's much easier to move up to the top of the teens then to the top of the draft.

It's a win/win situation -- we're still getting younger and can still get our franchise qb of the future to learn from Peyton.

This is based on the assumption that a QB not named Luck or RG3 will become a franchise QB of the future out of this draft. This is an assumption I wholeheartedly disagree with, regardless of whether they get to "learn behind Peyton" or not. Again - if we don't land Luck or RG3, we will be looking to draft a new QB in 2015 so whatever QB we draft now to learn under Peyton won't be of consequence by then.

I really think people are overrating how good this year's crop of QBs is and not having Barkley or Jones makes it that much weaker. Kellen Moore, Kirk Cousins, Brock Osweiler, and Nick Foles are not franchise QBs in my opinion and learning behind Peyton won't change that. Sure, they may be able to go in and play well enough to land us a wildcard spot if everything else around them is perfect, but that's not how you win championships. Sustained greatness at the QB position is what it takes and three years of Peyton and then scrambling to find another QB does not fit the bill.

This post is just in case some of the well-intentioned and absolutely proper warnings to the OP are based on the other Manning thread in the Stadium being closed and the included directives about how to appropriately start a new Manning-oriented thread.

The directives were that a new thread on Manning would have be based on "new" news and be of significant (meaningful) nature. This is "new" news and while argubale, it is close enough to "significant" on at least one relevant aspect (Manning clearly indicating his choice on retiring) that it's "ok." Plus, it's in the ATN which also is appropriate given the article content.

Just in case any of that is useful info for anyone.:)

Editorially speaking, I never cease to be amazed at how message board posters can beat the same dead dead dead horse of a matter (ala "manning to the 'skins") with nothing new that can possibly be said until there is actual "news." Even to an expert in human behavior, it's amazing.:)

A lot of the franchise qb's currently playing were drafted outside of the top 10. It's much easier to move up to the top of the teens then to the top of the draft.

Sure, this is true. However, guys like Rodgers and Roethlisberger were considered to be great prospects. Roethlisberger slid a little bit and Rodgers did a lot. No one outside of Luck or RG3 this year is supposed to be a top 10 pick and if you ask a lot of people, no one else is worthy of a first round grade.

You can't apply what happened in the past to this year's draft class because every year is different. This year, the QB class is extremely top-heavy and not as deep as analysts would have you believe. If you honestly ask me, the only QB outside of Luck and RG3 that I think has a good shot at developing into something is Russell Wilson and his height is going to hold him back.

I just don't see both things happening. That'd obviously be ideal but with the money involved, it wouldn't make sense. Signing Manning gives our staff leeway to forget about QB in round 1, sell the fans on some mid rounder (which the last 10 years have shown has almost a zero percent chance of success), and have to start over anyway once Manning retires.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Whether we sign Manning, Flynn, Orton, whomever...if we don't land RG3 or Luck this year we are going to be looking for a new QB in 3 years. None of the other QBs this year are going to become franchise QBs (and I felt this way even before Jones and Barkley went back to school). Signing a veteran stopgap like Manning will only make it that much harder to land a blue-chip prospect. The time is now because we were bad enough to be in position for a guy if we can trade up. If we're picking in the high teens 2 years from now, we won't have a shot.

I think everyone prefers to bring in the young QB of the future, but what if we can't?

I wanted us to do anything and everything to get Bradford (and I think we tried) but the Rams just weren't going to give him up. I would have been fine with Locker at ten last year (and I think Shanny would have been too) but he was gone and not worth trading up for. ****, I even would have been okay with Sanchez if he was still on the board that year (similar to how I felt about Locker), but was more then happy we ended up with Orakpo/Kerrigan instead. My point is I, like most Skins fans, have been dieing for a young QB that we build around and develop to be the face of this franchise for years now.

That being said, who's to say the same thing doesn't happen to us again this year; the Colts let Manning walk and end up dead-set on Luck, the Rams don't want to miss out on Blackmon and stay at #2 (or take a better offer from Cleveland), the Vikings stay at #3 for their franchise LT, and then Cleveland takes RGIII? We're ****ed, again.

I hope we try and trade up, it would be a dream come true for RGIII to come to DC. I would love for us to have a young QB with years of potential and promise to look forward to, but if it just isn't in the cards we have to figure something else out.

I look at potentially bringing in (a healthy) Manning more as an insurance policy than a future investment. I would love for us to land RGIII or Luck but if we simply can't pull it off due to whatever circumstances, having Manning and a young mid round QB behind him starts looking pretty damn good.

:2cents:

I think everyone prefers to bring in the young QB of the future, but what if we can't?

I wanted us to do anything and everything to get Bradford (and I think we tried) but the Rams just weren't going to give him up. I would have been fine with Locker at ten last year (and I think Shanny would have been too) but he was gone and not worth trading up for. ****, I even would have been okay with Sanchez if he was still on the board that year (similar to how I felt about Locker), but was more then happy we ended up with Orakpo/Kerrigan instead. My point is I, like most Skins fans, have been dieing for a young QB that we build around and develop to be the face of this franchise for years now.

That being said, who's to say the same thing doesn't happen to us again this year; the Colts let Manning walk and end up dead-set on Luck, the Rams don't want to miss out on Blackmon and stay at #2 (or take a better offer from Cleveland), the Vikings stay at #3 for their franchise LT, and then Cleveland takes RGIII? We're ****ed, again.

I hope we try and trade up, it would be a dream come true for RGIII to come to DC. I would love for us to have a young QB with years of potential and promise to look forward to, but if it just isn't in the cards we have to figure something else out.

I look at potentially bringing in (a healthy) Manning more as an insurance policy than a future investment. I would love for us to land RGIII or Luck but if we simply can't pull it off due to whatever circumstances, having Manning and a young mid round QB behind him starts looking pretty damn good.

:2cents:

I don't disagree with anything you said. My issue will be if we don't even TRY to land Luck or RG3 because we signed Peyton. As I've already stated in the thread, I don't believe in any of the other QB prospects this year and that fuels my urge to trade up and solve the QB position once and for all.

I wouldn't be opposed in the least to Peyton AND RG3 if we could somehow pull it off. I just don't see it happening and I don't think signing Peyton and then trying to develop a mid rounder behind him is going to solve anything.

You're right in that we may just not be able to do it. We have to try, though, regardless of what happens with Manning.

This post is just in case some of the well-intentioned and absolutely proper warnings to the OP are based on the other Manning thread in the Stadium being closed and the included directives about how to appropriately start a new Manning-oriented thread.

The directives were that a new thread on Manning would have be based on "new" news and be of significant (meaningful) nature. This is "new" news and while argubale, it is close enough to "significant" on at least one relevant aspect (Manning clearly indicating his choice on retiring) that it's "ok." Plus, it's in the ATN which also is appropriate given the article content.

Just in case any of that is useful info for anyone.:)

Editorially speaking, I never cease to be amazed at how message board posters can beat the same dead dead dead horse of a matter (ala "manning to the 'skins") with nothing new that can possibly be said until there is actual "news." Even to an expert in human behavior, it's amazing.:)

Thanks Jumbo, I was nervous enough with it being my first thread and worried I'd get blasted for it.

I agree this horse is extra crispy, but hearing the tone from Peyton himself finally got me thinking this **** might actually happen! Who knows, but I'd rather speculate on my Skins then talk about another Giants vs Patriots superbowl :puke:

Sure, this is true. However, guys like Rodgers and Roethlisberger were considered to be great prospects. Roethlisberger slid a little bit and Rodgers did a lot. No one outside of Luck or RG3 this year is supposed to be a top 10 pick and if you ask a lot of people, no one else is worthy of a first round grade.

You can't apply what happened in the past to this year's draft class because every year is different. This year, the QB class is extremely top-heavy and not as deep as analysts would have you believe. If you honestly ask me, the only QB outside of Luck and RG3 that I think has a good shot at developing into something is Russell Wilson and his height is going to hold him back.

I understand and agree with both of the things you said. What I am saying is why not pick him up before someone else does INCASE we can't get who we want. We still have the ability to make moves on draft day (who knows could even use Peyton at that point to move up). Signing Peyton isn't saying we're not going RGIII or another QB - BUT you have to assume that we aren't guaranteed RGIII and have to go elsewhere for a franchise QB - there is no better player to learn the position from than Peyton

I understand and agree with both of the things you said. What I am saying is why not pick him up before someone else does INCASE we can't get who we want. We still have the ability to make moves on draft day (who knows could even use Peyton at that point to move up). Signing Peyton isn't saying we're not going RGIII or another QB - BUT you have to assume that we aren't guaranteed RGIII and have to go elsewhere for a franchise QB - there is no better player to learn the position from than Peyton

This is true, it's just that given we'd have to sign Peyton BEFORE the draft, there's a high chance that our staff opts for quick fixes at other positions of need with Peyton already in the fold rather than invest further resources into the QB position. That will work fine in the short term, but long-term we still won't have the QB to build around.

I just don't think there's any way we sign Peyton AND move up for RG3, and as I've said, I don't think we solve our QB position outside of the next 2-3 years without RG3 or Luck somewhere in the mix.

IMHO, Peyton would want to start wherever he's going. For that reason, he'd probably not go a team that drafts Luck or RGIII, be it us or Indy or any other team.

If we're not trading up, but take a QB further back (Tannehill or Foles or whoever), it appeals to me more to have them sit for a season or two behind Peyton as opposed to have them sit behind Grossman.

Peyton "just" costing money (and not draft picks) doesn't hurt, either.

oh screw it, just get him. If they cut him, pick him up, whatever. It's Peyton freaking Manning. I think we're forgetting who Peyton freaking Manning is. We're watching Brady right now, with Peyton in the back of our minds, and forgetting it's not like Brady is far and away better then Peyton. Not at all. I know, his neck, whatever. I have a feeling if he's gone a whole year, and he's not ready to play this fall, he won't be ready to play ever again. So if the doctor says go, screw everything else and get him. Screw worries about the Oline or receivers, if anyone can overcome that, it's Peyton.

What I would be scared of is the idea that Peyton=superbowl or bust, and we're going to hear more 'should have lost more games for draft pick' crap if we don't go far in the playoffs. As if getting that far and losing with RG3 would be totally different and not a big deal. If Peyton comes via simply signing him, there's no reason we can't also draft a QB anyway. Maybe not a trade up for RG3 (lol that would be awesome though), but in fact a trade back, get another 12 draft picks and have literally half of the 53 man roster consisting of 22-23 year olds, in a matter of 2 drafts.

I feel like we can't lose actually. the worlds' our oyster.

Assuming he's healthy and he's a free agent; then I would take a shot at him. I would still draft the QB of the future somewhere from rounds 2-4.

Thing is, if he is a free agent; Washington would be the last place on his list.

He would want to go somewhere where he can win quickly and that isn't Washington.

Arizona or New York Jets would be his top choice. Heck, the warm weather of Miami and the have a WR would be a better choice for him.

Thing is, if he is a free agent; Washington would be the last place on his list.

He would want to go somewhere where he can win quickly and that isn't Washington.

Arizona or New York Jets would be his top choice. Heck, the warm weather of Miami and the have a WR would be a better choice for him.

I doubt that he'd rather play for Rex Ryan than Shanahan and Az just threw down a lot for Kolb and didn't we beat them with a worse QB? I doubt we get him anyway but I think Shanahan being one of the better offensive coaches helps us more than hurts us with QB signings.

We'll never learn.

I really love how the people who don't want to "mortgage the future" to trade up for RG3 are generally in favor of a move for Peyton Manning. They don't give a damn about the future and would rather the instant gratification that Manning will bring us. Yay everyone, Manning will help lead us to a potential wildcard spot where we'll lose every year, and then retire and leave us scrambling to pick the fourth or fifth best QB in our draft class and continue the endless cycle of mediocrity. You know, since we shouldn't be trading up and "mortgaging our future".

My view on this is we need a long and short term answer to the QB problem. If we can get Luck (very doubtful) or RGIII (much more possible) then you could possibly solve both problems with one player. However there is a very real possibility that however hard we try we will not be able to draft either guy and the next teir of QBs in the draft while possible long term answers are unlikely to be short term solutions.

Figure in that this is year 3 of Mikes 5 year deal and he might struggle to get through another 5 or 6 win year. Also figure in that free agency comes before the draft so we cant wait to see what we get out of the draft and then look at the free agent market or we will be in the same boat we were this year and I think we can all agree we dont want a repeat of that. So looking at the free agent market if Peyton Manning becomes a free agent - and is healthy - he will be head, shoulders and most of his legs the best QB available. I dont get why you would not want us to go after him - who else would you sign from the free agent pool?

Whoever we sign as a free agent - and we have to sign someone even if its Rex - we can and almost certainly will draft a QB and it might still be RGIII so its not either or. Peyton Manning being backed up by RGIII looks very very attractive after a year of Grossman being backed up by Beck.

We'll never learn.

I really love how the people who don't want to "mortgage the future" to trade up for RG3 are generally in favor of a move for Peyton Manning. They don't give a damn about the future and would rather the instant gratification that Manning will bring us. Yay everyone, Manning will help lead us to a potential wildcard spot where we'll lose every year, and then retire and leave us scrambling to pick the fourth or fifth best QB in our draft class and continue the endless cycle of mediocrity. You know, since we shouldn't be trading up and "mortgaging our future".

What does signing Peyton have to do with mortgaging our future?

We can sign Peyton as a FA if he's released and STILL draft a QB.. trading up if we want to.

Manning + RGIII is an extreme upgrade to Grossman + Beck...

some people seem to assume that signing Peyton means we don't draft a QB?? That would definitely not be the case.

What does signing Peyton have to do with mortgaging our future?

We can sign Peyton as a FA if he's released and STILL draft a QB.. trading up if we want to.

Manning + RGIII is an extreme upgrade to Grossman + Beck...

some people seem to assume that signing Peyton means we don't draft a QB?? That would definitely not be the case.

Um, don't you think that Manning will want mega millions, a bunch of it guaranteed? Why pay that for someone who could be 1 hard tackle away from retirement?

Um, don't you think that Manning will want mega millions, a bunch of it guaranteed? Why pay that for someone who could be 1 hard tackle away from retirement?

Obviously he has to be healthy and that might be an issue - lets assume it's not though for a moment. Would you not sign a healthy Peyton Manning on what would be effectively a 3 year deal and develop a rookie behind him? We have plenty of cap space to do it.

Archived