Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Indystar - Peyton Manning: Irsay, not Grigson, will decide his future with Colts (Merged with other Manning News)

papaSkins27

Obviously he has to be healthy and that might be an issue - lets assume it's not though for a moment. Would you not sign a healthy Peyton Manning on what would be effectively a 3 year deal and develop a rookie behind him? We have plenty of cap space to do it.

This is good question to think about Martin...

It all hinges on his health though... is there anyway for teams to audition Manning first before signing him?

This is good question to think about Martin...

It all hinges on his health though... is there anyway for teams to audition Manning first before signing him?

Teams will be able to give him a physical before signing him and Peyton himself will want full clearance before he commits.

I look at potentially bringing in (a healthy) Manning more as an insurance policy than a future investment. I would love for us to land RGIII or Luck but if we simply can't pull it off due to whatever circumstances, having Manning and a young mid round QB behind him starts looking pretty damn good. :2cents:

This is a good assessment as to how I feel. Get RG3, but if you can't, maybe Peyton can be plan B.

I would really not like to go the injured veteran route, even though it is Peyton Manning. We've beem down that road before, but on the other hand, my heart keeps saying, "if the guy is healthy this IS Peyton Manning dude." If they did decide to sign him, I'd still want to move up for RG3. We absolutely need a young top 3 QB waiting in the wings.

My thoughts exactly. I'm fine with signing Peyton and then draft a QB like RG III, Tannehill or Foles and give them two years of watching and learning from one of the best.

---------- Post added January-25th-2012 at 02:47 PM ----------

Obviously he has to be healthy and that might be an issue - lets assume it's not though for a moment. Would you not sign a healthy Peyton Manning on what would be effectively a 3 year deal and develop a rookie behind him? We have plenty of cap space to do it.

In a heart beat. If that works out, we could be set at QB for 15 years or more. How nice would that be? Lol.

What does signing Peyton have to do with mortgaging our future?

We can sign Peyton as a FA if he's released and STILL draft a QB.. trading up if we want to.

Manning + RGIII is an extreme upgrade to Grossman + Beck...

some people seem to assume that signing Peyton means we don't draft a QB?? That would definitely not be the case.

Go back and read a couple more of my posts in this thread. I'm all for Manning + RG3. However, the reality of the situation is that if we sign Peyton, Shanahan will be more likely to go for other positions in round 1 rather than trade up for RG3. I also made it very clear that I don't believe any QB outside of Luck and RG3 are franchise caliber players.

---------- Post added January-25th-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

This is a good assessment as to how I feel. Get RG3, but if you can't, maybe Peyton can be plan B.

Plan B can't come BEFORE Plan A, though. Peyton will be available in March if the Colts decide they don't want to pay him. He's not going to wait until after the draft to sign with a team.

If we sign Peyton, he IS plan A.

Plan B can't come BEFORE Plan A, though. Peyton will be available in March if the Colts decide they don't want to pay him. He's not going to wait until after the draft to sign with a team.

If we sign Peyton, he IS plan A.

I realize he will be released before the draft, but I'm hoping the FO has RG3 as plan A and Peyton as plan B, even if they do them in reverse order. As I said, I won't be against signing Peyton, but I'm not exactly for it either.

In all honesty, I really don't see Peyton signing with us. I think its alot of rumor and inuendo right now. I like that Shanahan is coaching the Senior Bowl. Gives him and the staff extra time to evaluate some players. I just wish RG3 was a senior so he could have him on the roster.

I realize he will be released before the draft, but I'm hoping the FO has RG3 as plan A and Peyton as plan B, even if they do them in reverse order. As I said, I won't be against signing Peyton, but I'm not exactly for it either.

In all honesty, I really don't see Peyton signing with us. I think its alot of rumor and inuendo right now. I like that Shanahan is coaching the Senior Bowl. Gives him and the staff extra time to evaluate some players. I just wish RG3 was a senior so he could have him on the roster.

Reports are Weedon is having a really strong week at the Senior Bowl, maybe he is a guy like Dalton who we take high 2nd and starts from day 1. He's not a guy you want sat on the bench for 3 years - that would have him over 30 before he starts.

I'm saying it right now, NO chance Manning is a Colt next year.

Agreed. I think Irsay is in full "blow it up" mode. I can see him getting rid of the majority of the old guard (Wayne, Mathis, Saturday, Clark, Gonzalez, Brackett, Addai) while keeping maybe Dwight Freeney and younger core pieces like Collie and Garcon.

Agreed. I think Irsay is in full "blow it up" mode. I can see him getting rid of the majority of the old guard (Wayne, Mathis, Saturday, Clark, Gonzalez, Brackett, Addai) while keeping maybe Dwight Freeney and younger core pieces like Collie and Garcon.

Garcon is a FA I believe. I could see him leaving depending on the QB situation.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20120124/Colts-Manning/?cid=hero_media

I

NDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The NFL's most watched offseason drama has turned stunningly ugly.

Two days after Peyton Manning complained about the dour atmosphere around the Colts' complex, team owner Jim Irsay called his four-time league MVP a ``politician'' and said he didn't appreciate Manning's public campaign.

The comments upstaged the introduction of Irsay's new coach, Chuck Pagano, and came six weeks before Irsay must decide whether to pay the still-recovering Manning a $28 million bonus. Manning missed the entire 2011 season after having his third neck surgery in September.

``I don't think it's in the best interest to paint the horseshoe in a negative light, I really don't,'' Irsay told reporters following Pagano's introduction. ``The horseshoe always comes first, and I think one thing he's always known, because he's been around it so long, is that, you know, you keep it in the family. If you've got a problem you talk to each other, it's not about campaigning or anything like that.''

Apparently, Manning got the message.

<more at link>

Irsay is an ass. I don't think anything that Peyton said is putting the Colts in a negative light. It is what it is by his observations. Maybe if Irsay didn't make all these changes, Peyton wouldn't have commented. Jeez, its really getting to where a person can't speak his mind without offending anybody anymore.

Um, don't you think that Manning will want mega millions, a bunch of it guaranteed? Why pay that for someone who could be 1 hard tackle away from retirement?

We re-signed McNabb for 78 million and it all went away in the blink of an eye. Vinny is not running the show. McNabb would have had 60 million of that guaranteed under Vinny. Bruce is a contract master and it didn't cost us any money under the cap to release/trade McNabb. Have faith in Bruce that (if for insance/hypothetical) we signed Peyton, we'd have an "out" clause in the contract.

Or an Elway haha and come to us

Wouldnt it be funny if he pulls an Elway and then Elway trades up for the Colts #1 pick? 1983 the Colts had the first pick and Elway had them trade with Denver. The difference was Elway actually had leverage since he could go to baseball or play in the USFL too.

people getting on Irsay when its probably Peyton who did the Colts dirty. Fair enough he made it into a One year contract out of his deal, but I have a feeling he didnt exactly tell the Colts the full extent of his injury before he signed.

He may never play for the football again.

Seriuosly? Without Peyton this year, the world got a chance to see how poorly run, managed, coached, and owned that franchise is. There is no way Peyton could have held out any information on the extent of his injury, as professional athletes must fully disclose their injuries and medical history to the teams they are under contract with. If the Colts didn't know about Peytons' injury, it is 100% on them and their medical staff. Funny how the media knew about it though.

Wouldnt it be funny if he pulls an Elway and then Elway trades up for the Colts #1 pick? 1983 the Colts had the first pick and Elway had them trade with Denver. The difference was Elway actually had leverage since he could go to baseball or play in the USFL too.

Elway would literally have to trade the entire draft to get the number 1 pick, and then some. The value of the picks drops significantly from 1 to 23/24

Archived