Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Indystar - Peyton Manning: Irsay, not Grigson, will decide his future with Colts (Merged with other Manning News)

papaSkins27

link

Are Peyton Manning's playing days over?

Four-time NFL MVP Peyton Manning has hit a plateau in his rehabilitation from neck surgery, and the slow rate at which the nerves in his arm are healing indicate he will not play again, Yahoo! Sports reported Monday, citing two sources.

Manning's future with the Indianapolis Colts has dominated headlines in recent weeks, with team owner Jim Irsay facing a decision on whether to pay $28 million to retain the star quarterback.

The 35-year-old began throwing in December after the fused vertebrae in his neck healed as expected, but he has not shown any improvement in the velocity of his passes.

The two sources feared Manning would never show improvement again.

Further, two league-affiliated doctors told the website that it could take a year before Manning knows if he will be able to return and said they would recommend Irsay let go of him.

ha, Incarcerated Bob, I'll let this nugget marinate with you all:

The best part is how he backpedals when he's wrong and acts like he's not at fault. I got into a discussion with him about Eli Manning being better than Drew Brees (his stance, not mine). He couldn't argue what I was saying, so he blocks me because I was schooling him with football knowledge.

This is the opinion of an NFL.com writer, so take it for what it's worth:

A Slip of the Tongue by Eli?

INDIANAPOLIS — We preface this be stating what you’re about to read is not a pathetic attempt to stir up drama. We’re simply reporting on what we saw and heard. Stand down!

Eli Manning spoke with the media Monday afternoon from the Giants’ team hotel in downtown Indy, where a potential slip of the tongue left at least one NFL.com reporter arching his eyebrow.

“(I) haven’t thought much about playing in Indianapolis,” Manning said when asked about trying to win a Super Bowl in Peyton‘s house. “It’s not really the time to reflect on that. It’s just a matter of trying to get ready for the Patriots, trying get ready to play this game, get prepared for their defense.”

Everything’s cool so far. But then …

“And we’ll look back on the fact that we played in a Super Bowl in Peyton’s, in the town he played his NFL, uh, you know, plays for the Colts and we’ll look on that later.”

This is a direct transcription, complete with Eli’s semi-stammer after referring to his brother’s career with the Colts in the past tense. Eli smirked as he caught himself, showing the type of poise that’s made him an elite player.

Again, we’re just the messenger. Check out the end of the video above and judge for yourself.

– Dan Hanzus

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/01/30/a-slip-of-the-tongue-by-eli/?module=HP11_hot_topics

Certainly sounds like Peyton is likely going to be out of Indy. Lots of change going on there. They simply can't afford his huge bonus AND the 1st pick in the draft both at QB.

Now.. remove the 28 million bonus.. which will be gone if he's cut.. I don't see any reason we can't sign Manning AND draft RGIII or Tannehill (depending on who we can get our hands on)

people can ***** and moan.. but man... Manning and RGIII/Tannehill .. whoever we get... is an enormous upgrade over Grossman/Beck

I like your thinking. But one question. Peyton Manning is going to eat up valuable cap space. How much should we spend to get him? Also then how much left for RGIII/Tannenhill? plus we have other FA's we need to sign. London Fletcher is a must. It's a big risk going after Manning. Especially if he can't play like before.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7524484/peyton-manning-indianapolis-colts-expects-play-again-no-timing-decision?eleven=twelve

---------- Post added January-31st-2012 at 04:11 PM ----------

Manning, in an interview with ESPN's Trey Wingo, said that he and Irsay will discuss whether the Super Bowl-winning quarterback will remain with the Colts "at the appropriate time, and when we do, I think some decisions will be made after that. But until then I'm just continuing to rehab, work hard, and to enjoy this week because it really is a special week for the city and certainly for my family."

Manning said that his recovery from spinal fusion surgery in September -- his third surgery in 19 months -- is going well despite the fact he didn't play last season.

"I really feel good. I continue to make progress every day," he said. "Everything that the doctors have told me has been on point, which is encouraging to me. I just had a great day today with rehab, just got back from the facility, and that's what we continue to do. Just keep trying to get better. So far I have. That's the plan from here on out."

Archived