Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Indystar - Peyton Manning: Irsay, not Grigson, will decide his future with Colts (Merged with other Manning News)

papaSkins27

The more I read about this mess with the Colts, and the Jets, and how Jerruh's always bouncing around decisions to make with the cowboys...the better it makes me feel about the Redskins and having one guy: Shanny run the show. Bruce make the contract right. Done. There's no confusion as to what the Redskins need, they're in a beautiful salary cap situation, there's little-to-no drama...I mean this is a good situation the Skins are in here folks. And it only helps if other teams around the league are crashing and burning. The Eagles are all to pieces, the Broncos are a big question with their Tebow drama, AP's time in Minny is running out, same for Rivers SD, and on and on. We're just getting started.

I don't think Peyton would be a fit in Shanahan's scheme. Look what Shanahan did with McNabb, by trying to change habits he had since he came into the league. The only way I would be OK with Manning is if we somehow landed Tannehill. My 1st and 2nd option, however, is Andrew Luck and RGIII.

I have a feeling Luck won't want to go there and pull an Eli.

I wish he won't want to play for a team that would tank to get him, very unlikely I agree. It would be such a huge slap in the face of Irsay for running his mouth like that and the way he is handling Peyton.

After reading this, I'm convinced... Peyton will be a Redskin. Luck's locked in and RGIII won't make it past the third pick. We can't afford to trade up, price tags are too high and we need too many other pieces.

We've got suits eating lunch and claiming our QB's already been selected and that we'll all be "elated."

Kyle's tweeting that "age isn't an issue."

He's a Skin. No doubt in my mind.

Seriuosly? Without Peyton this year, the world got a chance to see how poorly run, managed, coached, and owned that franchise is. There is no way Peyton could have held out any information on the extent of his injury, as professional athletes must fully disclose their injuries and medical history to the teams they are under contract with. If the Colts didn't know about Peytons' injury, it is 100% on them and their medical staff. Funny how the media knew about it though.

Yes, the management who irsay is being criticized for firing by some in this thread. THAT management are the ones who messed up Indy.

And does the media know 100% about Peyton's injury? When did that news come out? No one knows if he will ever play again.

And :ols: if you think NFL players have to report all their injuries to their team. Remember that Peyton one time said that he would intentionally score lower on his concussion base line tests so that he wouldn't miss action. Don't be naive.

I'm not saying Irsay has been great in this whole ordeal but people are jumping on him when all he did was do what many people on here want Dan Snyder to do which is let a HOF personnel guy run the football side with no resistance. Did that for 13 years. This year it is found out that the team has been poorly ran and wholly dependent on one player and he cleans house. That one player signs a mega contract with the team and is 36 years old and is rumored to not be able to throw the ball with any velocity over 15 yards and the owner has said enough we have to rebuild. And he is getting criticized for saying that.

:ols:

Jim Irsay blocked me on twitter because I told him "the horseshoe" has turned into clown shoes

Yeah. He should def let a guy who uses something as hillarious as "horseshoe has turned into clown shoes" to keep abusing him on twitter.

After reading this, I'm convinced... Peyton will be a Redskin. Luck's locked in and RGIII won't make it past the third pick. We can't afford to trade up, price tags are too high and we need too many other pieces.

We've got suits eating lunch and claiming our QB's already been selected and that we'll all be "elated."

Kyle's tweeting that "age isn't an issue."

He's a Skin. No doubt in my mind.

Don't you think Peyton would rather play for a playoff contender (Jets) ? Don't you fear a clash of egos with Kyle / Mike ?

"If the doctors say he's healthy, and he says he's healthy, then that's enough for me," Shanahan said. "Everybody knows Peyton Manning is, if not the best quarterback to ever play the game, he's tied for it. He's as good as it gets."

They understand what they need. But Shanahan warned: "People make a lot of mistakes going and trying to trade their draft away or pay a lot of money to people who aren't [worth it]. You have to make sure you get the best guy possible."

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/redskins/2012/01/kyle-shanahan-health-only-issue-manning/2143266#ixzz1krgSTWEC

Sounds to me like we are getting Peyton and Kyle isnt too interested in giving a lot to move up.

Yes, the management who irsay is being criticized for firing by some in this thread. THAT management are the ones who messed up Indy.

And does the media know 100% about Peyton's injury? When did that news come out? No one knows if he will ever play again.

And :ols: if you think NFL players have to report all their injuries to their team. Remember that Peyton one time said that he would intentionally score lower on his concussion base line tests so that he wouldn't miss action. Don't be naive.

I'm not saying Irsay has been great in this whole ordeal but people are jumping on him when all he did was do what many people on here want Dan Snyder to do which is let a HOF personnel guy run the football side with no resistance. Did that for 13 years. This year it is found out that the team has been poorly ran and wholly dependent on one player and he cleans house. That one player signs a mega contract with the team and is 36 years old and is rumored to not be able to throw the ball with any velocity over 15 yards and the owner has said enough we have to rebuild. And he is getting criticized for saying that.

Yeah. He should def let a guy who uses something as hillarious as "horseshoe has turned into clown shoes" to keep abusing him on twitter.

Sorry, but it is you that is being naive. The first people to get all medical related news about any signed player is the team's physician team, and 90% of the time they are the first people to see/note/discover the injury of the players. There is no way in hell that the Colts were not aware of Peyton's injury and the questions that surrounded it and his recovery. They still chose to put the deal on the table without any clause about his recovery. That is 100% on the team and Irsay. Maybe if he would spend less time trying to be a Twitter star and hanging with Rob Lowe, he would have thought through the deal a little more with the front office personnel that HE hired and allowed to set that franchise up for failure.

:ols:

Jim Irsay blocked me on twitter because I told him "the horseshoe" has turned into clown shoes

Irsay must have some very thin skin. He just tweeted that he will block anybody and everybody that "hits below the belt" on his Twitter account.

What an unprofessional bunghole this guy is, I have a feeling thy the Manning/Irsay divorce is gonna be ugly just like the state of his team.

Time to fire up my Twitter account...

I don't think Peyton would be a fit in Shanahan's scheme. Look what Shanahan did with McNabb, by trying to change habits he had since he came into the league. The only way I would be OK with Manning is if we somehow landed Tannehill. My 1st and 2nd option, however, is Andrew Luck and RGIII.

No, look what McNabb didn't do under Shanahan. He phoned it in, refused to wear a wrist band when he struggled learning the playbook, and reports were he was asked to wear it because he wouldn't do the preparation necessary to learn the system and plays. Plus, there's not really a scheme which accounts for the QB throwing simple outs into the dirt.

Manning is a dedicated player, and a QB as great as him and as hard-working should be able to adapt to a system.

---------- Post added January-29th-2012 at 05:22 PM ----------

Sorry, but it is you that is being naive. The first people to get all medical related news about any signed player is the team's physician team, and 90% of the time they are the first people to see/note/discover the injury of the players. There is no way in hell that the Colts were not aware of Peyton's injury and the questions that surrounded it and his recovery. They still chose to put the deal on the table without any clause about his recovery. That is 100% on the team and Irsay. Maybe if he would spend less time trying to be a Twitter star and hanging with Rob Lowe, he would have thought through the deal a little more with the front office personnel that HE hired and allowed to set that franchise up for failure.

Just to point out, the same thing could have been said about Brees and the Chargers. It's why they drafted Rivers. Health is not the only factor in the Colts' decision with Manning. He's got a few seasons left if healthy, but is owed $28 million, and the Colts have the ability to draft a QB prospect not this hyped up since Peyton himself. Even if Peyton is perfectly healthy the Colts could still let him go and draft Luck. The issues of age and money are included in the decision, not just health.

No, look what McNabb didn't do under Shanahan. He phoned it in, refused to wear a wrist band when he struggled learning the playbook, and reports were he was asked to wear it because he wouldn't do the preparation necessary to learn the system and plays. Plus, there's not really a scheme which accounts for the QB throwing simple outs into the dirt.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Just to point out, the same thing could have been said about Brees and the Chargers. It's why they drafted Rivers. Health is not the only factor in the Colts' decision with Manning. He's got a few seasons left if healthy, but is owed $28 million, and the Colts have the ability to draft a QB prospect not this hyped up since Peyton himself. Even if Peyton is perfectly healthy the Colts could still let him go and draft Luck. The issues of age and money are included in the decision, not just health.

Oh, I understand that completely. I was responding to a poster who had earlier posted that Peyton had screwed over the Colts by not telling them how bad his injury was, and that is not the case. I would never argue the merits of age, health, and money in a decision like the one the Colts face. However, to say that the Peyton lied to the team is ridicules.

Oh, I understand that completely. I was responding to a poster who had earlier posted that Peyton had screwed over the Colts by not telling them how bad his injury was, and that is not the case. I would never argue the merits of age, health, and money in a decision like the one the Colts face. However, to say that the Peyton lied to the team is ridicules.

Oh, I got you, and I agree. I live in Peyton country, I've even been taught by and talked with professors who had him in their class when he was at UT. Never once heard a bad word, in fact I commonly heard that he was the serious one and reeled in the other players, making class easier to manage for the teacher. So that and his actions throughout his career make it difficult for me to believe as well that he would do what that poster suggested. Plus, as you said, the team's physicians examined him, so he can't lie anyways because they are the ones with the examination info.

Team physicians are employed by the team ownership. They are in place to protect the owner against false player claims. A player must submit himself to the team physicians for examination. They will tell ownership if said player is able to play. If Manning is cut, that means that the Colts don't think he's worth his bonus and salary for 2012, he's injured etc. To me, that would be a big red flag for any team to take a chance on him.

If the Redskins do pick up Manning if he's released, I'll be spending another year of doing things around the house when the Redskins play.

I didnt say they didnt choose to put the offer on the table. And they knew of Peyton's injury, but did they know how his rehab was going? Did they know how serious he was taking it? etc And considering that they didnt put Peyton on IR until December, how do you know they knew the full extent of his injury when the deal was offered?

Remember players couldnt see docs at all during the lockout.

Oh, I got you, and I agree. I live in Peyton country, I've even been taught by and talked with professors who had him in their class when he was at UT. Never once heard a bad word, in fact I commonly heard that he was the serious one and reeled in the other players, making class easier to manage for the teacher. So that and his actions throughout his career make it difficult for me to believe as well that he would do what that poster suggested. Plus, as you said, the team's physicians examined him, so he can't lie anyways because they are the ones with the examination info.

outside of mooning that female trainer on campus. Never heard that one tho, right?

I didnt say any of this to call Peyton a bad person or bad character. What I am saying is that there is probably more to the story than just some tweets that have so many of you riled up

Keep in mind that Indy's physician's advice is just one part of the decision to roll with or without Manning. Our own physicians will examine Peyton before we give him a contract, so us signing him would be indicative that he can play. As I said earlier in the thread, the Chargers let Brees go in part b/c of injury concerns. Several teams passed on Adrian Peterson in the draft b/c of injury concerns (unrelated to his current one). So just b/c a concern is there it doesn't mean the player is automatically done.

If Peyton does come here, on a reasonable contract, I will give the Skins the benefit of the doubt as they've earned it based on smart FA pick-ups already and savvy contract offers.

---------- Post added January-29th-2012 at 06:43 PM ----------

I didnt say they didnt choose to put the offer on the table. And they knew of Peyton's injury, but did they know how his rehab was going? Did they know how serious he was taking it? etc And considering that they didnt put Peyton on IR until December, how do you know they knew the full extent of his injury when the deal was offered?

Remember players couldnt see docs at all during the lockout.

outside of mooning that female trainer on campus. Never heard that one tho, right?

I didnt say any of this to call Peyton a bad person or bad character. What I am saying is that there is probably more to the story than just some tweets that have so many of you riled up

And? How does 1 minor incident, which may or my not be true, from a kid in college, indicate the character type you are suggesting? I streaked in college once, a lot of people did. Doesn't make any of us liars or dishonest people. Nothing in my posts shows I'm riled up about this either, that's merely you trying to suggest emotional irrationality which is a poor and unnecessary attempt to bolster your side of the discussion.

But hey, if you want to believe a rumor over first-hand accounts I've gotten then you're doing so because you care more that your opinion is right than what the sources are behind it.

Plus, this is all moot anyways until an actual decision is made.

And? How does 1 minor incident, which may or my not be true, from a kid in college, indicate the character type you are suggesting? I streaked in college once, a lot of people did. Doesn't make any of us liars or dishonest people. Nothing in my posts shows I'm riled up about this either, that's merely you trying to suggest emotional irrationality which is a poor and unnecessary attempt to bolster your side of the discussion.

But hey, if you want to believe a rumor over first-hand accounts I've gotten then you're doing so because you care more that your opinion is right than what the sources are behind it.

Plus, this is all moot anyways until an actual decision is made.

its a minor incident because it wasnt you or your GF, Sister, Aunt, Mom, friend? I got you, it doesnt matter much because it was unseen on unheard by most of the country. A bit of that "bro humor" right?

Naughright described herself as examining Manning's foot to see why he was in pain. She was positioned on her knees behind him, when, entirely unprovoked, Manning pulled down his pants and sat on her head and face. In a deposition, Naughright was more specific about the incident, but let's just say that it was much more than just a mooning.

Within hours, Naughright reported this to the Sexual Assault Crisis Center in Knoxville. She ended up the villain at the university, and ultimately agreed to leave Tennessee in a settlement that paid her $300,000.

Peyton also settled with the woman too.

Now I didnt call Peyton a liar or dishonest. I dont know the guy, and neither do you. What I do know is that he said he would intentionally test lower on concussions base exams so that he could stay on the field, and of course that incident.

All I am doing is throwing some reasonable doubt out there after you steadfastly believe that Peyton Manning couldnt have possibly mislead the Colts on the extent of his injury without knowing anything yourself.

And if Manning is going to retire now like Peter King has just said, then maybe, just maybe there is a lot more to this story than what you have chosen to already believe. And maybe thats why Irsay, albeit with poor media skills, has gutted that franchise and told Manning he isnt coming back.

IncarceratedBob is pretty reliable, as far as I have seen. He tweeted this in the past hour:

**BREAKING NFL NEWS**Source: Peyton Manning has quietly asked for a TRADE or his RELEASE!!!! I repeat Peyton Manning wants OUT of Indy

**BREAKING NFL NEWS**Source: Confirms the Colts will *RELEASE* Peyton Manning #IBN (News we broke 3weeks ago)

**BREAKING NFL NEWS**Source: Colts have alerted Peyton Manning that they will honor request4 #Release #DONE with Colts

Let the craziness begin.

The mill churns and the carousel spins.

If this is true, this will lead to a few very interesting weeks.

It also hurts our ability to evaluate him if he's breaking ties with the organization and not the other way around. If Indy had let him go, then we'd be able to tell that he's probably not the same Manning as before, but with him asking to leave then we can't be sure.

Archived