Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Will the Redskins draft a cornerback at No. 6?

SWFLSkins

People that claim we screwed the pooch by letting carlos rogers leave via F.A. dont know how to scout football. The front seven of the Niners can make a slightly above average CB like Rogers look like an all pro. Dont miss the guy, he's just a role player even on his best day and last I checked he still catches INT's like he's wearing oven mitts.

You must not have checked too hard because he was tied for 4th in the league with 6 picks this year.

I feel that there are six elite talents in this draft:

Luck

Griffin III

Richardson

Khalil

Claiborne

Blackmon

Sitting at number 6, i'd be content drafting any one of the aforementioned.

Claiborne is a beast and would allow Deangelo Hall and Josh Wilson to the 2nd and 3rd CB's, positions I think they are better suited for IMO

I honestly do not understand the infatuation with Trent Richardson.

This may well happen depending on what the Browns do. I've also checked out a number of mock drafts and the Skins may not have a choice but to take the best player available and that"s a CB.

Like alot of other have said, the Browns and that extra #1 pick is evil to us. And now with the Fisher hiring in St. Louis , any speculation of Bradford not being the man there is dead. Our best bet is to hope and pray the browns and that front office go with Matt Flynn duirng FA period.

But the poster was saying he was against giving away opportunities to get play makers by trading up. This suggestion is essentially doing the exact same thing except for a lesser talented QB.

I was just pointing out the points aspect, I want Griffin via trade up if required. If not and Blackmon is gone I'd be looking at Coples if I couldn't trade down.

I can't believe the panic level in this thread. People are just simply talking about draft scenarios and some of you are acting as if taking a corner at six is a done deal.

What's even more amusing to me is that there are a lot of people on this forum that chastised people for wanting the 'skins to lose a few more games and now those same people are wishing we had a higher pick. Oh the irony.

I'd have no problem with a CB. There is still too much speculation, all the offseason draft hype has not yet happened. RGIII may not look as good in the offseason and may fall to us. Shoot, Luck may not either. I wouldn't want RGIII anyways but that's for a different thread. Claiborne or Kirkpatrick could end up showing they are absolute studs and worthy of being picked at 6. IF we can trade down, I'm all for that too, looks like this draft has some solid promise for being pretty deep.

No, but another 5-11 season and Snyder will.

BS. Snyder is going for the long haul this time.

---------- Post added January-14th-2012 at 09:19 AM ----------

If it is Morris Claiborne at 6 I will be physically sick, him and Patrick Peterson are cut from the same cloth. Garbage in coverage but good ball skills and flashy returns, ask any decent Cardinals fan about Patrick Peterson's coverage this year, very subpar in covering situations. Morris is the exact same in my opinion, he is overrated like PP was and like a Hall or McCourty, gamblers who make flashy plays that mask their mediocre coverage.

I think our secondary is good, everyone haters their corners it seems. The main issue with our secondary is the best players are injured all the time, like Landry and Atogwe. If we didn't have a shot at a great QB, I would advocating trading down if that opportunity presents itself, but if it isn't that opens a whole slew of questions and options. Blackmon would be nice to bolster our old and mediocre WR corp, a RT to solidify our line like Reiff or Martin.

You have some opinions that are unique. Afterall Claiborne won the Thorpe award for best backer and played in the SEC, facing top notch competition on a regular basis. If there is no chance to trade up and get RG3, I would love to have Claiborne. Heres to you being physically ill when we draft him, a big physical corner who could take on the top WR and not play 10 yards off to get a head start. Morris Claiborne meet Raheem Morris your coach.

We have young WR's looking to get on the field already, and Gaffney was far from mediocre.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/01/lsu-morris-claiborne-nfl-draft-michael-brockers/1

Claiborne, who won the Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back, is expected to be one of the top picks this April after a season where had six interceptions and recorded 51 tackles.

He is ranked as the No. 4 draft prospect by ESPN's Mel Kiper.

---------- Post added January-14th-2012 at 09:21 AM ----------

I can't believe the panic level in this thread. People are just simply talking about draft scenarios and some of you are acting as if taking a corner at six is a done deal.

What's even more amusing to me is that there are a lot of people on this forum that chastised people for wanting the 'skins to lose a few more games and now those same people are wishing we had a higher pick. Oh the irony.

Those two don't go together. Who wouldn't want a higher pick? But what person roots for their team to lose to do so? Trade up and get the guy if it is possible, if not take a great player or trade down and get more picks. I don't see a losing scenario if played correctly.

The only real LSU game I watched this year was vs WVU, since I am a WVU fan (I did watch some of his games on youtube if that counts). And these plays are what stands out to me when I think of Claiborne, I just don't think his coverage skills are that great, I think there are better cover corners in the draft and I believe Claiborne to be overrated, thats all. I wouldn't take him in the top half of the first round.

If we are left to BPA at #6, and no one wants to trade up to our spot.

It will probably be a CB we take.

Luck, Kahlil, RGIII, Blackmon, Richardson, and 1 of 2 CBs will be gone 1-5. That leaves one of the other CBs.. either Dre K. or Clairborne or Quinton Couples (DE.. which we dont need).. as BPA.

We wouldnt take Reiff cause I don't think he fits the MS zone blocking system.

Luke Kuechly (ILB) would be a major reach at 6.

Youd have to take one of the 2 top 10 CB's.

The only coach I can think of in the last 20 years to get a fourth chance after three bad seasons is Belichick with the Browns. I don't see Snyder being that patient if we have another year like we just had.

I disagree, Bruce Allen has brought common sense to the rebuilding and just consider where the team was when they came on board. Snyder has backed off and will let this play out for at least five years.

---------- Post added January-14th-2012 at 03:47 PM ----------

The only real LSU game I watched this year was vs WVU, since I am a WVU fan (I did watch some of his games on youtube if that counts). And these plays are what stands out to me when I think of Claiborne, I just don't think his coverage skills are that great, I think there are better cover corners in the draft and I believe Claiborne to be overrated, thats all. I wouldn't take him in the top half of the first round.

And one game makes you think he has no chance of succeeding in the NFL. C'mon man.

Landry can't stay on the field long enough to ever be a legit safety.

Fixed that so it was truthful. Let's not even mention all the bad angles to the ball carrier/receiver he makes and then strikes "the pose" after giving up one first down after another.

As for Kenny Rogers, he definitely lives up to his "Gambler" character......

It depends on what we accomplish in FA. But if you're going to address the secondary in the draft, I really feel we should be looking at safety, not corner. Our safety play has been atrocious in pass support for our man coverage and definetly in run support. F'n pathetic...

It depends on what we accomplish in FA. But if you're going to address the secondary in the draft, I really feel we should be looking at safety, not corner. Our safety play has been atrocious in pass support for our man coverage and definetly in run support. F'n pathetic...

there arent any top 20 safeties in this draft.

the article is talking about who we pick if we have #6, RGIII is gone and we cant trade down.

All this guessing about the draft is really pretty fruitless until we get through free agency. IF the Skins sign a quality CB like Brent Grimes from Atlanta, there is no need to look for a top CB in the draft.

I am now generally against trading up for RG3. Just too costly when this team still has major needs for playmakers. If RG3 falls to us at #6....great! If not, pick a CB, or stud receiver, or stud lineman and then trade back into the bottom of the first round for Tannehill. The trade up from 2nd to late first is minimal....maybe a third or fourth rd pick. And we have two fourth rd picks this year (I'm pretty sure I read that).

IF Cleveland chooses to move up, the cost will just be too great. If it's Miami, then maybe the cost won't be too bad and worth it. But I doubt it.

I am new to the board but I agree 100 % with this. I don't think it is worth giving up the picks to move up to take RG3(I think there is more chance of bust them boom), if he falls to 6 then take him. I am a die-hard LSU fan and Mo Claiborne is gonna be a stud or if somehow Justin Blackman were to be sitting at 6 I think he would be a steal.

Archived