Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Will the Redskins draft a cornerback at No. 6?

SWFLSkins

Too many towards defense? Wasn't the 4th overall pick two years ago an offensive tackle?

Rogers

Taylor

Landry

Kerrigan

Jenkins

to one OT taken high.

Yet year after year scoring 25+ points is nothing short of a miracle for this offense.

For once, I'd like to see a season around here where the defense gets rewarded for a 3 and out instead of having to go back onto the field three plays later.

So let's draft the highest hyped safety or corner and enjoy the misery some more..........

If we have to stay at 6 with RG3 and Luck off the table, I wouldn't be upset with these guys.

Blackmon

Reiff

Floyd

Jeffrey

DeCastro

Dennard

Kuechly

I'm not in love with drafting an of them really, maybes besides one of the big 3 WRs.

You should also have trent Richardson on that list and take off the Olinemen.

it should look like

1.Blackmon

2.Trent Richardson

3. Dre Kirkpatrick

4. Jeffrey

5. Floyd

=D just my opinion obviously

If it is Morris Claiborne at 6 I will be physically sick, him and Patrick Peterson are cut from the same cloth. Garbage in coverage but good ball skills and flashy returns, ask any decent Cardinals fan about Patrick Peterson's coverage this year, very subpar in covering situations. Morris is the exact same in my opinion, he is overrated like PP was and like a Hall or McCourty, gamblers who make flashy plays that mask their mediocre coverage.

I think our secondary is good, everyone haters their corners it seems. The main issue with our secondary is the best players are injured all the time, like Landry and Atogwe. If we didn't have a shot at a great QB, I would advocating trading down if that opportunity presents itself, but if it isn't that opens a whole slew of questions and options. Blackmon would be nice to bolster our old and mediocre WR corp, a RT to solidify our line like Reiff or Martin.

If we have to stay at 6 with RG3 and Luck off the table, I wouldn't be upset with these guys.

Blackmon

Reiff

Floyd

Jeffrey

DeCastro

Dennard

Kuechly

I'm not in love with drafting an of them really, maybes besides one of the big 3 WRs.

How are they cut from the same cloth minus them both being from LSU? On top of that Peterson was coming on strong as the season went on. Its ridiculous to judge a rookie DB playing mostly man coverage against other teams top wideouts based on his rookie year, let along his first 8-10 games. Peterson showed a ton of promise and is in line to develop as an elite corner.

---------- Post added January-13th-2012 at 11:26 PM ----------

New Orleans-Great offense-Average/below defense

Green Bay-Great offense-Average defense

New England-Great offense-lousy defense

San Fran-Great defense-Pedestrian offense

Ratbirds-See San Fran because giving them any credit makes me sick

Denver-Solid defense-Depends on what Tebow shows up offense

Houston-Can be well-balanced

Giants??? They are a farking mystery sometimes.

Anybody see a pattern from the majority of the teams I've listed?

That all the teams you listed are great on one side of the ball? If its on D that we're great, then so be it. The Ravens have been in the playoffs year after year based on a great D. More importantly FREE AGENCY IS BEFORE THE DRAFT!!!!! Why don't we wait to see what we do in free agency before complaining about us potentially spending more picks on defense. At no point did I say ignore offense, but I think they'll be aggressive in filling offensive needs in FA.

---------- Post added January-13th-2012 at 11:28 PM ----------

Rogers

Taylor

Landry

Kerrigan

Jenkins

to one OT taken high.

Yet year after year scoring 25+ points is nothing short of a miracle for this offense.

For once, I'd like to see a season around here where the defense gets rewarded for a 3 and out instead of having to go back onto the field three plays later.

So let's draft the highest hyped safety or corner and enjoy the misery some more..........

Nobody is saying to ignore the offense, but you're ignoring free agency. To say we have to spend our 1st rounder on a particular side of the ball is ridiculous (unless its RGIII we're talking about!)

---------- Post added January-13th-2012 at 11:35 PM ----------

Rogers

Taylor

Landry

Kerrigan

Jenkins

to one OT taken high.

Picks in the top 4 rounds

2011- Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hankerson, Helu

2010- Trent Williams, Perry Riley

2009- Orakpo, Barnes

2008- Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Fred Davis, Reinhart, Tyron

2007- Landry- Didn't pick again until Rd 5 (depressing)

2006- Rocky- Didn't pick again until Rd 5 (more depressing)

2005- Carlos, Jason Campbell, Manuel White

2004- Sean taylor, Cooley

By my count that's 10 offensive players and 10 defensive players.

I see the need for cornerback, but the Skins will be drafting offensive talent this year. This Redskin draft is going to be QB, multiple OL and maybe a WR (assuming of course, no corrective measures are found in Free Agency) as the bulk of the first 4 rounds. Last year showed the OL was not good with the stats showing the OL below the NFL average in almost every category and number 3 worst in sacks + QB hits. The Redskins QB was hit or sacked on 1 out of every 4 passing plays. If the Skins get a new QB, they better get some fat boys to protect him. Getting a shiny new toy at QB and letting the defensive guys pound him all season is not good for the future of the new QB or the current coach.

People that claim we screwed the pooch by letting carlos rogers leave via F.A. dont know how to scout football. The front seven of the Niners can make a slightly above average CB like Rogers look like an all pro. Dont miss the guy, he's just a role player even on his best day and last I checked he still catches INT's like he's wearing oven mitts.

All the good D picks under Shanahan are part of the reason we can trade up for Griffin this year. Takes a QB + OL + pass catchers (and usually some semblance of a run game) plus a good D and STs and good coaching and some luck to win a SB. While we were trying and not succeeding in getting a QB our FO thought was 'the guy' (attempted trade for Bradford) we have been improving other areas.

We'll be adding 2 or 3 impact contracts to the O in FA and for the first time in a forever we will have starters and depth at all the important positions except QB. That's as important as potentially being in position to draft an elite talent like Griffin, that we have both at the same time, well some things are just meant to be.

I don't want Eli like competence, I want the real deal superstar QB.

All this guessing about the draft is really pretty fruitless until we get through free agency. IF the Skins sign a quality CB like Brent Grimes from Atlanta, there is no need to look for a top CB in the draft.

I am now generally against trading up for RG3. Just too costly when this team still has major needs for playmakers. If RG3 falls to us at #6....great! If not, pick a CB, or stud receiver, or stud lineman and then trade back into the bottom of the first round for Tannehill. The trade up from 2nd to late first is minimal....maybe a third or fourth rd pick. And we have two fourth rd picks this year (I'm pretty sure I read that).

IF Cleveland chooses to move up, the cost will just be too great. If it's Miami, then maybe the cost won't be too bad and worth it. But I doubt it.

I'm not sure the trade up back into the first is that inexpensive

has any of the insiders dropped any nuggets about what we plan on doing with d-hall? I wouldnt mind cutting him IF we plan on signing cortland Finnegan, grimes, or thomas from the giants. Josh wilson is an above solid #2 corner but we need a strong man coverage #1 corner

and a slot guy that has strong blitzing ability as well as speed to keep up with slot recievers. thats all haha

Our 4th takes us to 616pts combined with our 2nd with takes us to 30th pick (620pts)overall. Our 3rd takes it to 760pts, equal to 23rd overall.

But the poster was saying he was against giving away opportunities to get play makers by trading up. This suggestion is essentially doing the exact same thing except for a lesser talented QB.

I like how easy some people think it is.

Presume for a moment that Luck and RGIII are gone by six. No stretch I know. Presume of course that we made a serious effort to move up to get one but couldn't make it happen. Now presume that the top OL and WR talent have been taken already. Presume we`re sitting at number 6 and the phone is not ringing. Now presume that the next best player is a corner back. Is it so wrong that we draft him?

No one would want us to force a player in for need with a draft position so precious.

So let's stop off the ledges and consider that many different scenarios may be acceptable.

No way should we pick a corner at 6.

We have solid corners, even if one is a gambler.

Put a safety behind him who isn't slow and deaf and actually can be where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there, and Hall's gambles don't look so glaring. In fact, I'd wager that if we had a competent safety, his ability to make play on the ball would increase.

Josh Wilson.. if you know CB play you love this guy already. OUTSTANDING in man coverage. Receivers must go through him to make their plays, and even if they do, they have to contend with him punching and clawing at the ball while they're trying to make a reception. He knocks a lot of balls out like that.

Pat Fischer loves this guy,i bet. I bet he sees a lot of himself in Josh Wilson.

we've brought Raheem Morris aboard. Aside from upgrading backup safeties and nickel backs, I'd say that is QUITE significant to the future play of our DBs.

~Bang

I feel that there are six elite talents in this draft:

Luck

Griffin III

Richardson

Khalil

Claiborne

Blackmon

Sitting at number 6, i'd be content drafting any one of the aforementioned.

Claiborne is a beast and would allow Deangelo Hall and Josh Wilson to the 2nd and 3rd CB's, positions I think they are better suited for IMO

No way should we pick a corner at 6.

We have solid corners, even if one is a gambler.

Put a safety behind him who isn't slow and deaf and actually can be where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there, and Hall's gambles don't look so glaring. In fact, I'd wager that if we had a competent safety, his ability to make play on the ball would increase.

Josh Wilson.. if you know CB play you love this guy already. OUTSTANDING in man coverage. Receivers must go through him to make their plays, and even if they do, they have to contend with him punching and clawing at the ball while they're trying to make a reception. He knocks a lot of balls out like that.

Pat Fischer loves this guy,i bet. I bet he sees a lot of himself in Josh Wilson.

we've brought Raheem Morris aboard. Aside from upgrading backup safeties and nickel backs, I'd say that is QUITE significant to the future play of our DBs.

~Bang

But DHall, hes up to no good. Also Landry lifts too much weights to ever be a legit safety.

We need to find a QB that can start now there is no way that we can enter next season with Grossmen and Beck on the roster as 1 and 2. How free agency is looking right now the only quarterback worthy of starting would be Matt Flynn (in my opinion the jury is still out on Flynn the lions defense collapsed the last two weeks and he is 1-1 as a starter.) Many people are saying we should draft Tannehill he has a lot of raw talent however he is not ready to start and he needs to be groomed by a strong QB figure (just picture Rex the turnover machine grooming Tannehill) The bottom line is we need a QB if we can find our starting QB in free agency I would have no problem drafting a CB at 6. I also feel this is make or break year for Shanny if he does not go 8-8 or better Mr. Snyder may step in.

Archived