Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Will the Redskins draft a cornerback at No. 6?

SWFLSkins

Lol, you really are one of the more argumentative posters on ES. Let's hope we don't have to find out because I don't see Shanahan staying for more than 3-4 losing seasons.

Why thank you. I disagree with you, so get over it. You think your opinion is so great that nobody disagrees with it? seriously? I really think the reason you have not heard from Snyder lately is the fact that Bruce and Mike are truly in charge, sucks when the fans get what they want huh? Snyder is not going to fire Shanahan if next years results are the same as this year. He might turn up the heat for the next year after, but if there was trouble brewing you would already heard about it.

There is no smoke, so why bring out the fire extinguisher just yet?

Why thank you. I disagree with you, so get over it. You think your opinion is so great that nobody disagrees with it? seriously? I really think the reason you have not heard from Snyder lately is the fact that Bruce and Mike are truly in charge, sucks when the fans get what they want huh? Snyder is not going to fire Shanahan if next years results are the same as this year. He might turn up the heat for the next year after, but if there was trouble brewing you would already heard about it.

There is no smoke, so why bring out the fire extinguisher just yet?

Where did I say that I had a problem with you disagreeing with me? This is the 2nd or 3rd thread I've been in with you being argumentative with me and acting like a jackass about it. And I'm sticking with my story on the Shanahan/Snyder debate. This year was painful for all of us involved and with the speed that the NFL changes these days, I can't see Snyder keeping Shanahan around if we have a third consecutive failure of a year, unless we can get a QB that can show a lot of promise for the future.

I don't see us going CB with Jamal Brown's bad play. I think his hip injury still gave him problems. We go RT. :(

Man i probably want a brand new drafted RT more than anyone here but i'd hope Shanallen exhaust ALL options before one at #6 though.

Shanahan already trying to shift attention away from QBs onto something plausible like corner. I fully expect Shanahan to draft a QB(maybe not rg3) within the first two rounds this year EVEN we acquire one in free agency. We also go after a wide out in FA and draft all lineman only taking bpa when it's really hard to pass up.

Fixed that so it was truthful. Let's not even mention all the bad angles to the ball carrier/receiver he makes and then strikes "the pose" after giving up one first down after another.

As for Kenny Rogers, he definitely lives up to his "Gambler" character......

Every Safety misses angles from time to time. Look at his tackle numbers vs the numbers of games he has played. And this isn't doughty syndrome as it is rarely him being picked on in coverage. ES'ers and their witchunts. I bet you want to trade Orakpo

Where did I say that I had a problem with you disagreeing with me? This is the 2nd or 3rd thread I've been in with you being argumentative with me and acting like a jackass about it. And I'm sticking with my story on the Shanahan/Snyder debate. This year was painful for all of us involved and with the speed that the NFL changes these days, I can't see Snyder keeping Shanahan around if we have a third consecutive failure of a year, unless we can get a QB that can show a lot of promise for the future.

You called me "one of the most argumentative posters on ES"-pretty much indicates you have a problem with me disagreeing with you. I know you train and like to battle probably both physically and mentally, but your not drawing me in to a name calling battle. You think I am a Jackass and Old School so be it. I think you are unable to hold a conversation. So I am out. Take care.

You called me "one of the most argumentative posters on ES"-pretty much indicates you have a problem with me disagreeing with you. I know you train and like to battle probably both physically and mentally, but your not drawing me in to a name calling battle. You think I am a Jackass and Old School so be it. I think you are unable to hold a conversation. So I am out. Take care.

I have no problem with someone disagreeing with me, I expect it on a forum dedicated to discussing our beloved Redskins, I just get the impression that you can't (or won't) debate politely without making little jabs at people or throwing in smart remarks. BTW I don't think you're a jackass, I was referring to the way you were acting. But I agree that it's best that we just drop it. Take care yourself.

No. No. Absolutely not. We don't need to waste another decade trying to build from the outside in. No more drafting receivers and corners when our lines are anything other than littered with studs and the only people we have to play most important position on the field are a mediocre has-been and an awful never-was.

No. No. Absolutely not. We don't need to waste another decade trying to build from the outside in. No more drafting receivers and corners when our lines are anything other than littered with studs and the only people we have to play most important position on the field are a mediocre has-been and an awful never-was.

Outside in. We have invested a lot in the front 7 on D. Do I think we're through there? No....I'd like some depth at DE and a young inside linebacker to develop behing Fletcher BUT this defense has been built around the front 7. Now its time to get some playmakers in the secondary to take this D from good to great. Look at the playoffs. The teams that won were able to create turnovers and physically impose thier will on the opposition. You can look at one of the losers...The Texans defense was lights out versus the Ravens and it kept them in the game (along with Foster),,,,Thus team needs to strive to be great one one side of the ball and good on the other. To me, the side that's closer to being great is the D and if getting a corner can take us from good to great than that's fine with me.

CB in 1st at 6 only if:

1. Shanahan has a plan for QB that doesn't involve the 1st rounder.

2. Blackmon or Kalil aren't there

3. That CB is Claiborne.

1 is probably not likely, but we don't know yet. 2 is very likely, as those guys are projected to go top 5. 3 is unlikely, he's probably gone to Tampa, since 90% of mocks have Tampa taking him.

No one outside of Claiborne is worth #6. Kirkpatrick is teens, Dennard late teens-early 20s, Jenkins mid-20s to early 2nd, etc etc. If we want a CB and Claiborne isn't there, we ought to trade down.

Furthermore, whoever we get needs to be a top man-to-man coverage guy. Jenkins probably fits that mold, but we really need to make sure he's off the drugs before we pull the trigger on someone like him.

CB in 1st at 6 only if:

1. Shanahan has a plan for QB that doesn't involve the 1st rounder.

2. Blackmon or Kalil aren't there

3. That CB is Claiborne.

1 is probably not likely, but we don't know yet. 2 is very likely, as those guys are projected to go top 5. 3 is unlikely, he's probably gone to Tampa, since 90% of mocks have Tampa taking him.

No one outside of Claiborne is worth #6. Kirkpatrick is teens, Dennard late teens-early 20s, Jenkins mid-20s to early 2nd, etc etc. If we want a CB and Claiborne isn't there, we ought to trade down.

Furthermore, whoever we get needs to be a top man-to-man coverage guy. Jenkins probably fits that mold, but we really need to make sure he's off the drugs before we pull the trigger on someone like him.

I like this line of thinking. It certainly seems plausible and accurate. As Hubbs said, though disagree about the DL, I would rather trade down if the QB and Corner are gone and build the line. I don't think the WR core is a weak as you, though a game changer would obviously help any incoming QB.

Corner is one of the most overvalued pieces in football in my opinion, I think people think they do a lot more than what they actually do, I think the safety positions are much more valuable to stopping the pass, and the front 7 is actually how you stop the pass, a pass rush. I think our secondary was mediocre this year because of the loss of 2 complete studs in the backfield half the time, LaRon and OJ were always injured and I think it did a toll on our secondary, cornerbacks I think are the least valuable pieces on a defense because if you have no pass rush or safety up top, no CB is going to cover their man for more than 4 seconds without letting in a window for any decent QB to zip it into, even Revis has trouble with this as he really isn't a true 0 catch 0 yard shutdown corner, just a great cover corner. Eagles had asomugha, DRC, and Asante, look where they got this year. Or look at the 2000's Redskins which I really don't need to explain, Green, Sanders, Bailey didn't vault us to a championship.

Cornerback is fool's gold to an extent, if we want to improve our defense and being abused in the pass we should get a true stud NT, because pressure is what makes a good QB turn bad, Manning, Brady, Rodgers never had trouble getting a first down unless they got pressured. Look what Los is doing in San Fransisco when he sees a real front 7 generating pressure and forcing the QBs into bad throws, he is actually playing half decent as opposed to getting picked on because the QB had 5 seconds to throw when he was here all these years.

It depends on what we accomplish in FA. But if you're going to address the secondary in the draft, I really feel we should be looking at safety, not corner. Our safety play has been atrocious in pass support for our man coverage and definetly in run support. F'n pathetic...

I wonder if there are any talented prospects that could potentially play corner and safety (not at the same time)?

If Atogwe and Landry are healthy I think we're set there, but it would be nice to have solid options there since both have health concerns. Our corners are ok, but one injury and we're in trouble there as well.

A solid corner could enable us to move Hall to safety for the short term if needed. His skills at sitting back and reading the QB could be an asset back there, though it's a little risky putting a gambler as your last line of defense. Perhaps that would fit the aggressive style of D we play though.

Of course, you really need three solid corners in today's 'passing' league, so all that might be a moot point.

Archived