Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your biggest Redskins "Oh ****" feeling of dread moment?

Vrikk

the 79 game verses Dallas. - Horrible !! Riggins killed Dallas that day and we still lost

but the biggest thing.. is no longer having any feelings after a lose. I use to get so pissed .. for DAYS !!! and now ... nothing !! Monday mornings looking at the draft databases checking who people think we will draft. I want the good ole days back !! I especially want it for so many Skins fans that have never experienced it !!!

Someone else commented on the pick 6 before 1/2 time. But I kept hoping that somehow there was a comeback.

I mentioned that. I can see thinking we were in it after at that point. But by the time of the Allen run (the last play of the 3rd) we were down 28-9, had just been stopped on a 4th and 1, the Raiders had all the momentum, etc. After Riggo got stopped on 4th down, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that we had lost.

mine was in the superbowl against the broncos, late in the first quarter, i suspect the broncos called a qb sneak for Elway to score a touchdown and as the Oline went to work a huge hole opened up thats when i was thinking if they score here at 17 to nil we really dont have any chance then Dave Butz appeared and sacked Elway so at the quarter it was 10 to nil and history showed how that worked for us.

the 79 game verses Dallas. - Horrible !! Riggins killed Dallas that day and we still lost

but the biggest thing.. is no longer having any feelings after a lose. I use to get so pissed .. for DAYS !!! and now ... nothing !! Monday mornings looking at the draft databases checking who people think we will draft. I want the good ole days back !! I especially want it for so many Skins fans that have never experienced it !!!

Such a great point, the fact that we've grown numb to the losses. Back in the '80s, a Skins loss meant the entire D.C. area was glum on Monday. Now, it's just a shrug as the final whistle blows. All one can really do is look to the future and look at mock draft boards, and engage in "roster-bation" online discussions with hypothetical trade proposals, etc. So much more boring than winning games.

I need a whiskey shot after this thread, lol

Marcus Allen's ridiculous 76-yard touchdown run against us in Super Bowl XVIII. That's when I understood that we will actually lose the game, which was a possibility I had not previously allowed. That loss still haunts me to this day.

For me, it was either this one or Jack Squirek picking off Theismann in that game. The loss still haunts me as well. Ugh.

Good point. So true. So sad.

I think I have one every season.

- The first one I remember was The year Petitbon took over, the game after our Monday night opening victory against the Cowboys. We lost to the Cardinals. I suddenly realized our killing the Cowboys was not a shadow of things to come, it was just the setup for the enormous disappointment that was that season. The exclamation point came in the 3-0 loss to the Jets.

- Every season Norv was coach it was whenever the losing streak began. We'd either come out hot and look awesome, then tank the 2nd half of the season, or we'd tank the 1st half and earn his job back during the 2nd half and end every season mediocre.

- Of course, in the Tampa playoff game it was the snap.

- I could say the moment we all realized Heath Shuler's sulkiness wasn't just the product of a rookie quarterback, it was the product of a really ***** rookie quarterback.

- The moment when most of us realized Michael Westbrook was just another bust (though a head case of a bust).

- When dumb *** Gus decided head butting a cement wall was a really great idea for a TD celebration and hurt himself, we were doing pretty good that year, until that.

- When we looked AWFUL during the entire preseason with Marty and his son was a horrible OC, then we continued to look awful for the first 5 games or so, and then when he got fired at the end of the season for Steve Spurrier who I disliked anyway.

- When Rob Johnson was our BEST option.

- When Gibbs signed Brunell.

- When Ramsey lasted a whole drive into the regular season w/ Gibbs

- When Steven Alexander got knocked out of the Seattle playoff game and we had dominated them physically the whole game. Then after that everyone on our team looked like they'd gone completely soft. That was infuriating.

- ST

- When Gibbs retired.

- When we were destroyed by the Steelers at the midpoint of Zorn's first season.

- When we barely beat the Rams in Zorn's 2nd season. (I think we all knew the season was over at that point, game 2)

- When McNabb sucked.

- When Grossman threw 4 picks and then every Beck game after.

And here we are. I think my next "Oh ****" would be if we sign Peyton Manning (who MIGHT last a year or two) and skip over getting a QB in the draft or fail to trade up to get one of them if it's necessary.

After all these years of stress and depression, that one might actually make me vomit.

EDIT:

I forgot one, when Darrell Green let Rod Smith (a total unknown at the time) get open for the game winning TD against Denver, I think in 1995. I knew if our best player couldn't keep tabs on a total no-namer we were pretty much ****** for a while.

- When we looked AWFUL during the entire preseason with Marty and his son was a horrible OC, then we continued to look awful for the first 5 games or so, and then when he got fired at the end of the season for Steve Spurrier who I disliked anyway.

Marty's son wasn't our OC, just one of your errors in your post.

I forgot one, when Darrell Green let Rod Smith (a total unknown at the time) get open for the game winning TD against Denver, I think in 1995. I knew if our best player couldn't keep tabs on a total no-namer we were pretty much ****** for a while.

I think that was actually Rod Smith's first career catch. As I remember it was a great pass by Elway and a great catch by Smith. Don't be too hard on #28! We'll never have a player like him again.

I must have amnesia or something because I can't remember anything from that 05 Seattle game. I know I watched it, but I can't remember anything from that game. I think it messed me up so much that my mind has found a way to erase any images from that game. I can remember a lot of stuff, I MEAN A LOT OF THINGS!!! But that Seattle playoff game in 05 is something I can't. :doh:

I have an embarrassingly bad one that was unwarranted and turned out to be 1,000% wrong!

When I heard on the radio that we had traded Jay Schroeder to the Raiders for some offensive tackle, I was sure that we had just (to quote SHF) set our franchise back 5 years! I was a kid though, so I get a pass. Obviously, that was an incredible trade!

Dec. 16, 1979 Cowboys 35- Redskins 34

Staubach throws two TD's with about 2 minutes to go. Skins had the division title won and just like that it was snatched away and they also miss the playoffs.

:cry:

This. I was 9 years old and that game still hurts. That one solidified my hatred for the Cowboys that burns to this very day. Even these days when someone asks me what made me hate the Cowboys, I just say '35-34.' Pretty much any Redskin or Cowboy fan worth his salt simply nods and understands.

Exactly. That is when my hatred for the Cowboys was burned inside me.

Staubach to Tony Hill. :( Then the Redskins tried to call a quick timeout to set up a long FG but the refs seemed to ignore it and the clock ran out.

Archived