Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your biggest Redskins "Oh ****" feeling of dread moment?

Vrikk

I'm gonna keep it current

When we were tied with Tampa Bay in the last 2 seconds last year, Gano had missed like 2 other field goals, and as he lined up for the almost automatic extra point, I knew somehow we were going to mess it up, and almost ON CUE we lose the game due to a botched snap (1999?)

We were looking to upset the undefeated Saints, Suisham lined up to take a 28 yard FG, and he missed it horribly, we would go on to fumble the ball with Mike Sellers or something like that, and I just kept thinking WE could have been the one to upset them, not the goddamn Cowboys getting our glory.

2011 Draft, Jake Locker is gone at number 8, we are at the wheel with the 10th overall pick and Gabbert is still on the board, I HATED Gabbert and I thought he would set our franchise back another 4 years, and it took really long to announce the trade I just kept worrying we would pick him.

ST comes first.. but heres one no one has mentioned yet:

LKnxvV3uMII

def an embarrassing moment. I dont get how this play was supposed to work.. wait.. the WR that ran to the right, from the "line", were they hoping he'd go uncovered?

oooh.. that guy mightve been open, had Smith had time to throw.

:doh:

The day that I heard Joe Gibbs retired the first time. Sick feeling came over me.

That is the time that stands out in my mind more than any loss the 'skins had ever had during the 80's - Super Bowl 18 included. I was in Physics class that afternoon when the teacher came in and said that he heard on the radio that Joe Gibbs had retired as coach of the Washington Redskins. I knew at that point the 'skins were in trouble. I just didn't realize it was going to be for mostly the next twenty years!

This is number one, but I have a couple more to add, from that same year actually:

The first Giants game, when we wore the Circle R helmets. 3rd and Goal, no huddle to the same play, 4th and Goal with Ladell Betts. That was the first game I went to.

Then the playoff game at Seattle, when after Seattle botches the kickoff return after we take the 14-13 lead, and we get the ball back inside the 20 and miss the FG. You could practically feel the momentum swing over to Seattle after that.

I was at that Giants game too! I've been to some really good ones and really bad ones over the years.

Well, a sad day for me was when Jack Kent Cooke passed away.

One of the "old school" owners who was a relic and a character in his own time and way, it was certainly an un-nerving day because he never got to see his stadium.

Followed up by Danny boy buying the team, and seeing he was a young entrepreneur, and seeing how stadiums which had their own name, or named after their owner, began selling out to ketchup companies, insurance crooks, etc etc, I knew exactly what direction he was heading, and personally Jack Kent Cooke Stadium sounded perfectly fine by me...

---------- Post added December-8th-2011 at 07:55 AM ----------

BTW: Good thread dude, but god the awful memories are making me cringe...

It was a game in the late 80s or 90...Riggs had his way with the Eagles all day setting a franchise record. We were nursing a lead and Riggs ran for a clinching first down but fumbled the ball. The defender illegally lateraled the ball forward to a teammate ultimately setting Philly up in position to score the game winning TD.

Yeah that was in '89. Opening play of the game was an 80 yard TD to Clark from Rypien. Then Riggs scored on their next offensive play. I believe they went up 21-0. After the Eagles came back, Riggs went down the right sideline for like 50 yards or something. Next play he fumbled and Wes Hopkins took a clear forward handoff from a teamate all the way back inside the 'skins 5 yard line. I remember that game like it was yesterday. And I think it was the second game of the season, after losing to the Giants on a last second field goal the week before. They still turned it around and wound up 10-6, but narrowly missed the playoffs. How great were the days were your "bad" seasons still ended up with 10 wins!? Miss those days...

Hearingthe Announcement of the Sean Taylor murder. God my heart dropped. ST is my oldest sons biggest hero. My sons dream has always been to go to the U and play football. He balled like a baby for a week. I'm getting choked up thinking about it. I haven't been as big a fan of a football player since Earl Campbell. R.I.P. S.T. #21

Dec. 16, 1979 Cowboys 35- Redskins 34

Staubach throws two TD's with about 2 minutes to go. Skins had the division title won and just like that it was snatched away and they also miss the playoffs.

(Side note:The Cardinals laid down and let the Bears run away with their game. Bears get the wildcard spot and not the Skins. :( )

I was 11 years old and that game still hurts. I remember sitting there, crying and crushed. :cry:

This was the worst one for me, still remember it to this day even though I was a kid...

Staubach throws two TD's with about 2 minutes to go. Skins had the division title won and just like that it was snatched away and they also miss the playoffs.

(Side note:The Cardinals laid down and let the Bears run away with their game. Bears get the wildcard spot and not the Skins. )

(Side note:The Cardinals laid down and let the Bears run away with their game. Bears get the wildcard spot and not the Skins. :( )

I was 11 years old and that game still hurts. I remember sitting there, crying and crushed. :cry:

This was the worst one for me, still remember it to this day even though I was a kid...

(Side note:The Cardinals laid down and let the Bears run away with their game. Bears get the wildcard spot and not the Skins. )

Double post, but it's not...:whoknows:

If we play the Steelers in the SB that year are we just as ref-owned as Seattle was? Part of that could be how much disrespect the hawks got for being in a super bowl. The entire crowd was terrible towels and they showed more shots of Jerome Bettis' mother than they did Shaun Alexander.

if it's the 'storied' Redskins vs Steelers in Detroit, I think there's more B&G in the crowd and more honest refs.

Agreed. That was a game for Cowhert and Bettis to get their rings... if Joe Jackson Gibbs was on the other sideline, it would've been a fair game.

gibbs calling the second time out against the bills... the pained expression gibbs had, the playoff implication of that game, the day being the sean taylor memorial, and just a brutal way to murphy's law the entire situation...

Marcus Allen's ridiculous 76-yard touchdown run against us in Super Bowl XVIII. That's when I understood that we will actually lose the game, which was a possibility I had not previously allowed. That loss still haunts me to this day.

In the same game, the Theisman screen that was intercepted somewhere like the ten.

gibbs calling the second time out against the bills... the pained expression gibbs had, the playoff implication of that game, the day being the sean taylor memorial, and just a brutal way to murphy's law the entire situation...

How does no one remember the fact that the kick went in anyways? As Gibbs called the time out, the Bills kicker made the kick... so it's not like it would've been that big of a deal. Sorry... minor pet peeve of mine.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198801310den.htm

Nope. Monk had the first big play of the game for the Skins even though it wasnt a TD it got the Skins rolling after it looked to be a blowout for the Broncos.

Ah, thanks. This is what I was thinking of: "The strike-season of 1987 saw union stalwart Art come up with 38 catches for 483 yards. He missed the final 3 regular season games and two playoff games against the Bears and Vikings, but his 40 yard catch midway through the first quarter of SuperBowl XXII was Williams' first completion, and set the tone for the eventual rout of the Broncos."

---------- Post added December-8th-2011 at 05:00 PM ----------

How does no one remember the fact that the kick went in anyways? As Gibbs called the time out, the Bills kicker made the kick... so it's not like it would've been that big of a deal. Sorry... minor pet peeve of mine.

Great point. God, that was such an awful day.

Yeah that was in '89. Opening play of the game was an 80 yard TD to Clark from Rypien. Then Riggs scored on their next offensive play. I believe they went up 21-0. After the Eagles came back, Riggs went down the right sideline for like 50 yards or something. Next play he fumbled and Wes Hopkins took a clear forward handoff from a teamate all the way back inside the 'skins 5 yard line. I remember that game like it was yesterday. And I think it was the second game of the season, after losing to the Giants on a last second field goal the week before. They still turned it around and wound up 10-6, but narrowly missed the playoffs. How great were the days were your "bad" seasons still ended up with 10 wins!? Miss those days...

It was the 2nd game of the 89 season, yes. Funny that you mention the forward handoff. I would love to see a video replay of that lateral because I remember it as being a forward lateral, too. What made that play so frustrating was Riggs was rumbling (221 on the day) and we were literally running the clock out to ice the game. Then Riggs fumbled, and the Eagles run it back nearly 80 yards to set up the winning score.

Going the other way (feeling of joy moment) I would go with the Darryl Grant TD in the NFC Championship to beat Dallas at RFK. I know many would say the Riggins SB run but the Grant TD probably got the biggest scream ever from me, lol.

This. I was 9 years old and that game still hurts. That one solidified my hatred for the Cowboys that burns to this very day. Even these days when someone asks me what made me hate the Cowboys, I just say '35-34.' Pretty much any Redskin or Cowboy fan worth his salt simply nods and understands.

The second one, for me, was 9/12/1993. Week Two of the Richie Petibone era. We had just dismantled the Cowboys and it looked as though were weren't going to miss a beat with Joe gone and Richie taking over. We were playing the Cardinals at home and, you know, back in those days when you played the Cards the big question was how big a margin of victory you were going to enjoy that day.

But something wasn't right. The Cards jumped up on us 17-0 in the first half. Rypien goes down and Conklin (?!?!) comes in. After being shut out in the first half we start turning it on. It's 17-7. Then 17-10. We have the ball. John Madden says 'here come the Redskins.'

But we just ... can't ... seem to score. We lose. To the Cardinals. At home.

I still remember sitting there after the game. Watching Cardinals head coach Joe Bugel celebrating on the sidelines, thinking 'what the hell just happened?'

The answer, of course, was The End Of Things As We Know It. The Redskins were terrible in 1993, winning just four games, and we've been one version of terrible after another ever since.

Archived