Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC - FOX says 'Muppets' are brainwashing kids

The Evil Genius

Maybe its because I've been so long removed from it, but as a kid, the last thing on my mind while watching Captain Planet was that corporations are evil.

The target audience for Captain Planet (kids) would pretty easily, and overwhelmingly, describe it as a show that teaches you to respect the planet, nature and to not pollute. It's an enormous stretch to conclude any other significant message.

Captain Planet was a fun and heartwarming cartoon.

It was also chock full of anti-pollution, anti-big business, "you need to care about the enviorment or else the world is screwed" messages.

I mean that's what most of the show was about.

I was still a kid when it came out and I liked the show, but after a while it just got annoying how the show was so focused on pollution and everything.

Obviously that's what it was meant to be, and they don't shirk from that.

But let's not pretend it was just like any other cartoon.

(to make it clear, I don't think it's really fair to compare it to say the Muppets, or He-man, or Gi-Joe, or some other show where the story or action takes precedent)

Captain Planet was a cartoon built around a message.

It was pretty much an infomercial with more action and appeal.

Captain Planet was a a fun and heartwarming cartoon.

It was also chock full of anti-pollution, anti-big business, "you need to care about the enviorment or else the world is screwed" messages.

I mean that's what most of the show was about.

I was still a kid when it came out and I liked the show, but after a while it just got annoying how the show was so focused on pollution and everything.

Obviously that's what it was meant to be, and they don't shirk from that.

But let's not pretend it was just like any other cartoon.

It was pretty much an infomercial with more action and appeal.

I am having a really hard time understanding the point you are trying to make.

You are criticizing Captain Planet for:

1. Speaking out against pollution

2. Caring about the environment

3. Annoying because it focused too much on pollution based stories

And this is supposed to be bad?

It wasn't just like any other cartoon and had a rather easy to understand social message. The message was to keep the planet clean. This is propaganda? You are reaching badly.

It wasn't just like any other cartoon and had a rather easy to understand social message. The message was to keep the planet clean. This is propaganda? You are reaching badly.

Not at all.

I'm just stating what it is.

I'm not saying it's bad or evil.

Ever repeat anything you heard in a cartoon as a kid? Ever heard a kid do that?

Bah. Hell no. In one ear and out the other. Everytime.

Why portray Americans in a bad light to American kids anyway?

Forget it. Y'all are cool with it, so good on you. :cheers:

Honestly. I don't think you got the joke. . . .

They were making fun of people who blame Americans.

I'll tell you the one example that pissed me off the most. There's a scene in "Finding Nemo" where two fish are talking about the pollution in the water these days, and how they wish people wouldn't pollute so much. One says to the other, "Yep. Probably Americans."

That went a LONG way toward ruining an otherwise great movie for me. There was absolutely NO reason for that line. None whatsoever. And you want a message? There ya go. I'll find the clip when I get home.

You're too sensitive, h_h. Kids simply do not pick up on a lot of the sense of humor and messages present in the things they watch. Hell, the things they do learn tend not to easily override the influence of their parents and peers. Even if they repeat a line like that, they almost certainly haven't digested it to the point that you seem to fear. Besides, there's no harm in exposure to different points of view.

Robin-Hood-walt-disney-characters-20143820-1261-768.jpg

Also hated by fox news

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 09:24 PM ----------

What about Scrooge McDuck glorifying excess? What kid doesn't want to make a big pile of money, so they can swim in it? Damn, right wing agenda.

I actually took my change i had saved up spread it around on the living room floor and swam around in it.....

I'll tell you the one example that pissed me off the most. There's a scene in "Finding Nemo" where two fish are talking about the pollution in the water these days, and how they wish people wouldn't pollute so much. One says to the other, "Yep. Probably Americans."

That went a LONG way toward ruining an otherwise great movie for me. There was absolutely NO reason for that line. None whatsoever. And you want a message? There ya go. I'll find the clip when I get home.

TOMMY_LEE_NCFOM.jpg

That reminds me of this scene in "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" where government super-agent Remo Williams, his Korean master Chiun, and lady-friend the Major steal a Dodge truck to escape a corrupt mountaintop military facility under the control of a crooked defense contractor. Except the rickety old Dodge has no brakes and is halfway through being repaired -- meaning it still has no brakes as they careen out of control down the mountain. And this harrowing three-minute action scene results:

YOUTUBE LINK

remofilm-300x239.jpg

I tell you what, the totally not at all satirical anti-American agenda of the script just about ruined that movie for me!

Ever repeat anything you heard in a cartoon as a kid? Ever heard a kid do that?

Bah. Hell no. In one ear and out the other. Everytime.

Why portray Americans in a bad light to American kids anyway?

Forget it. Y'all are cool with it, so good on you. :cheers:

It all makes sense now... I memorized the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme song as a kid, and that's why I'm a marine biologist now. I mean, except for the being a marine biologist part. But other than that, everything's true.

I think the thing that bothered me most about Lion King was glorifying the continuing oppression of the middle class Christian white male.

Haven't they suffered enough? They could have made it an albino lion instead of perpetuating stereotypes and oppression, but no...can't have a wise heroic father figure that's white...

They could have made it an albino lion instead of perpetuating stereotypes and oppression, but no...can't have a wise heroic father figure that's white...

because James Earl Jones' voice is like honey drizzled over sugarcane, nobody would believe that voice would come from a middle class white guy....white people are so lame (I think that was on the liberal agenda for the Lion King)

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 11:29 PM ----------

Captain Planet seems way more aggressive than I remember

Ol Tex could have just bought land near the theater. We all know that you can drill at angels, besides, can only drill in that one spot? I just think Tex, eithere hates Muppets or theater.

Stuff like this is on par with saying your teacher ia hot, and getting suspended.

OTOH, we need more sparkling vampires!

Archived