Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC - FOX says 'Muppets' are brainwashing kids

The Evil Genius

I love Fox News. Good for a few :ols: a month.

Although - I am sure this will bring out their defenders. It usually does.

BTW - if anyone is a Muppets fan - saw the movie yesterday and it was a lot better than the last few.

FOX says 'Muppets' are brainwashing kids

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/05/9229560-fox-says-muppets-are-brainwashing-kids

By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper

The villain in "The Muppets" is Tex Richman, an oilman who wants to tear down the Muppets theater in order to drill for oil underneath.

Just a character and a storyline, or a secret liberal Hollywood plot to brainwash children?

The topic was debated on FOX's "Follow the Money," with a network host and two commentators saying big oil isn't being treated fairly.

"Liberal Hollywood depicting a successful businessman as evil? That's not new," said host Eric Bolling, before tossing the subject to guest Dan Gainor of the conservative Media Research Center.

"This is a Muppet movie," said Gainor. "The only thing green that should be up there on that screen is Kermit the Frog."

Gainor said liberal Hollywood filmmakers have been "brainwashing" moviegoers "for decades," citing "Cars 2." "Syriana," and "There Will Be Blood" as other biased media. "None of them (remind) people what oil means for most people which is fuel to light a hospital or heat your home," he said.

MORE AFTER LINK

Best part:

Bolling then went on to ask fellow Fox host Andrea Tantaros about the issue, and she also criticized "Sesame Street," where The Muppets got their start. A primetime "Sesame Street" special that aired Oct. 9 featured a Muppet whose family didn't have enough food.

"We've got Medicaid, there's a record number of people out there on food stamps ... there's all these kinds of programs out there to take care of hungry kids," Tantaros said. "Why would that Muppet be starving?"

Incredible.

Movies don't have messages. Ever. And kids aren't especially impressionable. Got it. :ols:

I haven't seen this Muppet movie yet, so I can't comment on it specifically, but it's not an unreasonable assertion that a movie may have an underlying objective or message. Avatar is one of my favorite movies ever, but I had to be able to overlook the "message" behind it to be able to say that.

Movies don't have messages. Ever. And kids aren't especially impressionable. Got it. :ols:

I haven't seen this Muppet movie yet, so I can't comment on it specifically, but it's not an unreasonable assertion that a movie may have an underlying objective or message. Avatar is one of my favorite movies ever, but I had to be able to overlook the "message" behind it to be able to say that.

It's the Muppets. Of course it has a message. But it's not the message that the idjits on Fox News are ranting about though.

The message of the movie was...spoiler in black below

Everyone has a purpose (and talent - even Walter) and you have to hold on to those that you love and let them know it (that's on you Kermit).

There - that was the entire movie in a nutshell.

The thing is - they could have used NKorea or Big Bank as the foil and the message would have remained the same.

This movie wasn't a message about the evils of Big Oil anymore than the Walking Dead is a message about the evils of cannibalism.

:)

Yes because after watching Muppets and Captain Planet, kids will walk away with the impression that being rich is bad and that humans are evil planet destroying species.

I await Sesame Street crafting its own welfare system so our kids aren't exposed to the fact that there are people out there who can't feed their families. :ols: :doh:

I'll tell you the one example that pissed me off the most. There's a scene in "Finding Nemo" where two fish are talking about the pollution in the water these days, and how they wish people wouldn't pollute so much. One says to the other, "Yep. Probably Americans."

That went a LONG way toward ruining an otherwise great movie for me. There was absolutely NO reason for that line. None whatsoever. And you want a message? There ya go. I'll find the clip when I get home.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 05:58 PM ----------

Yes because after watching Muppets and Captain Planet, kids will walk away with the impression that being rich is bad and that humans are evil planet destroying species.

I await Sesame Street crafting its own welfare system so our kids aren't exposed to the fact that there are people out there who can't feed their families. :ols: :doh:

I already said I haven't seen it, and can't comment on that specific movie. But anyone who says movies DON'T often have agendas or messages they're pushing truly IS an idiot.

FWIW, I've never had a problem with the Muppets or Sesame Street. I've benefitted from both.

I'

I already said I haven't seen it, and can't comment on that specific movie. But anyone who says movies DON'T often have agendas or messages they're pushing truly IS an idiot.

FWIW, I've never had a problem with the Muppets or Sesame Street. I've benefitted from both.

And no one is suggesting that movies don't have messages, underlying or overt (seriously, who would even argue that movies don't have messages?). However the desperation to pin this movie, and the other examples they used (Captain Planet, Sesame Street etc) as a liberal agenda to brainwash kids into thinking that rich=evil and humans=bad is comical, but typical of Fox.

I'll tell you the one example that pissed me off the most. There's a scene in "Finding Nemo" where two fish are talking about the pollution in the water these days, and how they wish people wouldn't pollute so much. One says to the other, "Yep. Probably Americans."

That went a LONG way toward ruining an otherwise great movie for me. There was absolutely NO reason for that line. None whatsoever. And you want a message? There ya go. I'll find the clip when I get home.

Those animated sharks portraying Americans in a bad light.

Thanks for the laugh.

And no one is suggesting that movies don't have messages, underlying or overt (seriously, who would even argue that movies don't have messages?). However the desperation to pin this movie, and the other examples they used (Captain Planet, Sesame Street etc) as a liberal agenda to brainwash kids into thinking that rich=evil and humans=bad is comical, but typical of Fox.

Captain Planet kind of did...not so much anti-rich, but it was full of enviormental and anti-corporation propaganda.

Doesn't mean it wasn't entertaining, but the amount of bias in that show was painful at times.

Uh ... they were making fun of non-Americans who blame Americans for everything.

As far as the article goes ... well, it's idiotic. The Muppets didn't invent rich and powerful bad guys. Hollywood didn't invent that either. If the bad guy was poor and lazy we'd have some pretty boring movies.

Uh ... they were making fun of non-Americans who blame Americans for everything.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Those sharks were at a ****ing AA meeting for God's sake. They aren't the voice of Australia.

I swear, folks will go out of their way to suck all the joy out of films.

Unbelievable. Next thing you know people will start assuming all Africans have bones in their noses.

Way off topic, but I pretty much lived in Oklahoma till I was 8, when my family moved to Illinois.

And I understand that after we'd been in the new place for a few days, I came home from school, and I was really sad. I wanted us to move back to Oklahoma. Right now.

See, the other kids, at recess, had been asking me about Oklahoma. And I had been brought to the realization that I had lived my whole life in Oklahoma, and I had never seen an Indian. (Nor had I ever seen a tornado.) We had to go back, so that I could correct the deficiency in my upbringing.

That was when my parents explained to me that I am an Indian. (Well, I'm 1/8 Pottawatomie. But that's sufficient to be a member of the tribe.)

That our next door neighbors were Indians.

I simply had never met anybody who wore feathers, face paint, and greeted people with "How."

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 06:26 PM ----------

Captain Planet kind of did...not so much anti-rich, but it was full of enviormental and anti-corporation propaganda.

Doesn't mean it wasn't entertaining, but the amount of bias in that show was painful at times.

Love the way that "pollution is bad" becomes "environmental propaganda"

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 06:27 PM ----------

Took the words right out of my mouth. Those sharks were at a ****ing AA meeting for God's sake. They aren't the voice of Australia.

There you go, trying to indoctrinate people with that idea that Australians who are trying to stop drinking don't speak for all Australians.

:)

Maybe its because I've been so long removed from it, but as a kid, the last thing on my mind while watching Captain Planet was that corporations are evil.

The target audience for Captain Planet (kids) would pretty easily, and overwhelmingly, describe it as a show that teaches you to respect the planet, nature and to not pollute. It's an enormous stretch to conclude any other significant message.

Those animated sharks portraying Americans in a bad light.

Thanks for the laugh.

Ever repeat anything you heard in a cartoon as a kid? Ever heard a kid do that?

Bah. Hell no. In one ear and out the other. Everytime.

Why portray Americans in a bad light to American kids anyway?

Forget it. Y'all are cool with it, so good on you. :cheers:

Archived