Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Finally some life shown at the WR position (Hankerson)

Uno Mas

I thought it was a solid game by Riley, but he didn't have a strong preseason this year and I'm not sold. This was one game against one of the worst offenses in the league. If he keeps it up I might start biting, but i'm not sure i'm buying him as a starter for next year.

The thing I liked about Riley today was that he did not luck into any of his plays. He was in the right place, making the right play. He followed his assignments, and it's rather telling that when Fletch was out for a play, they gave him the helmet with the signals.

I thought he played a very disciplined game. He didn't over-react like first timers will, didn't get burned on play fakes that I could see, and he played his gaps very well. He played within the scheme and within his position, and he did not miss his tackles when he got his chance.

Color me very impressed with his first start. He looked like a leader out there.

As much as i hate to say it,, he reminded me of Antonio Pierce.

~Bang

Anyone want to upload some Hank highlights? Wasn't able to watch the game this week.

I saw the game, but would love to see his catches again. Really impressed me today. that deep in cut route and catch was beautiful.

Anybody making highlights. Hank and Riley highlights would be awesome.

Hank could be a great wr he has that smooth athleticism ability to cut on a dime , goes up with 2 strong hands grabs the ball drives corners back with his speed. Not sure why he's always looking for the ground after he catch I'm guessing its because he does;t wanna make a mistake and fumble that he'll feel more comfortable soon and run hard after the grabs.

He has a chance to be special.

Riley was just a revelation He is sudden and brings real punch when he hits. very decisive quick. shows great form on tackles. Great recognition. these 2 are something to be excited about.

we still need a cb another lb another dl a real rb and another wr but things are looking up lol

Life at the WR position? I thought this thread was about our new blood David Anderson. Wow, what a performance! He reminds me of Ed Mcaffrey.

But seriously, how has Armstrong fallen so far that a guy off the street plays before he does?

This definitely shows that Shanahan REALLY knows how to draft them. Kerrigan, Riley, Hankerson, and Helu were all impressive and the D line is getting consistent pressure with these new additions. Definently have to give Shanny his props for this, although our offense is terrible right now, I doubt even Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi could stop Rex from forcing passes into coverage and John Beck from throwing a dump off. I believe this is one of the BEST Redskins drafts in recent memory, take that for what you will though. Kerrigan is consistent, smart, and a playmaker, Hankerson gets seperation easily and is a big body, Riley has great instincts it looks like and good football IQ, Helu fights for extra yards and can get yards even when the blocking is less than great. Although I still believe we should have draft Wisnewski instead of Jarvis and never should have draft Aldrick Robinson, I'm impressed and Shanahan's resume seems to show consistent excellent drafts which if anything, will help us later down the line.

Shanny is drafting the cornerstones of the offense and then is waiting to put it all together come April. Props to BOTH of them. Hankerson is a stud and future #1 WR.

I saw the game, but would love to see his catches again. Really impressed me today. that deep in cut route and catch was beautiful.

That was a nice route but the route and catch which really impressed me was one where he slowed to a stop like he was sitting down in a soft spot, got the DB to commit and then took off across the DB to make a really nice catch over the middle. That route showed paitence, a good understanding of where the DB was and a firm grasp of the offense. It was an impressive performance.

Anyone got any updates on the injury? Like everyone I really hope it does not keep him out long as these reps he is getting are invaluable.

So after today's performance, do you guys think we should still draft a WR in the earlier rounds of the draft? Or is Hankerson the #1 we have been waiting for? I hope for the latter and pray for a qb.

I think we still need another WR probably through free agency - someone like Bowe from KC. Hankerson has shown he can be a starter but I'm not sure he has shown he can challenge a defense deep and be a No.1 type. Lets see how the rest of the year plays out though assuming the injury is not more serious and keeps him off the field.

So after today's performance, do you guys think we should still draft a WR in the earlier rounds of the draft? Or is Hankerson the #1 we have been waiting for? I hope for the latter and pray for a qb.

Was talking about this with LL56 earlier.

I'd love to see Hankerson, Paul, Austin as our starting three, but Bowe is probably going to push Austin out. Of course, Moss can stay as long as he wants. :)

Actually, this draft is panning out pretty well. Hankerson looks like an NFL player as does Helu and Kerrigan. Jenkins looked fantastic in preseason, but sadly we never got to see him in a real game. Would love to see what Gomes does in a real game. Hurt looks really uneven, but what can expect for a seventh rounder.

Overall, this is by far our best draft in a long, long time.

Absolutely. I think Shanahan/Allen did a brilliant job and hopefully the players work and grow and make their obvious potential a serious reality.

Hankerson has serious baller abilities and he's beginning to show it now that he has been given a chance. And it also helped that he was playing with a QB that's willing to throw the ball more than 10 yards down field.

---------- Post added November-14th-2011 at 08:06 AM ----------

Was talking about this with LL56 earlier.

I'd love to see Hankerson, Paul, Austin as our starting three, but Bowe is probably going to push Austin out. Of course, Moss can stay as long as he wants. :)

I think what we're seeing from Hank and Austin (although I think he was much more impressive in the preseason than he's been lately) leaves us with no reason to spend an early pick on a WR. Unless of course a grand talent falls into our laps and the BPA simply demands it.

I think we still need another WR probably through free agency - someone like Bowe from KC. Hankerson has shown he can be a starter but I'm not sure he has shown he can challenge a defense deep and be a No.1 type. Lets see how the rest of the year plays out though assuming the injury is not more serious and keeps him off the field.

I don't see how Bowe leaves KC. He'll get franchised.

Everyone knew, that was paying attention, that Hankerson was going to take a bit of time to develop into a NFL receiver. He had concentration issues coming out of college and dropped balls because of it. But he had a good work ethic and good size and was a pretty good route runner in college. He's starting to understand the concepts at the NFL level, as evidenced yesterday. Hankerson is going to be alright.

And I hope this puts a nail in the "we need to draft a receiver in the first round" coffin. Not sure why anyone thought that would be a good idea with major holes at QB/OL anyways... But I hope this stopped that thought. Now, we just need to figure out a way to end the "Let's draft Trent Richardson in the first" talk :ols:

I don't see how Bowe leaves KC. He'll get franchised.

Probably right - I was just using him as an example. We need some speed and weapons on offense as well as at least one starter on the O'Line and I think Shanny has already been quoted as saying that we need at least two significant free agent signings on offense - I think one of them will be at receiver.

Archived