Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Finally some life shown at the WR position (Hankerson)

Uno Mas

I know today was just a repeat of the same garbage we've all become accustomed to watching the last several weeks, but I personally was very encouraged by what I saw from LH85.

I was excited when we drafted him and a bit discouraged by some of his drops in the preseason. But going against the norm, we finally gave a young receiver a chance to play, albeit probably because of injuries at that position. Either way, based on what I saw today, Im excited about his future in Washington. I hope his injury isnt serious, now we just need to draft a QB who can get him and others the ball consistantly. I wont hold my breath...

Anyway, cheers Leonard!:cheers: Good game.

Tandler says it a "hip strain". Does not sound like a serious injury. Hope he can get back next week and build on this.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/

though we lost, it is easy to see why Rex is in. The passing offense simply was not progressing with Beck. At least now we can see if Hank can play. So far, so goo.

It would be just our luck if it was like an ACL tear or something. knock on wood.

But yeah, I was always high on Hankerson,I remember yelling at my television telling us to draft him haha. I mean the young players flashed, and the players on their way out played terribly as usual, so it isn't that bad. I just hope that people don't start calling for Shanny's head, that would be the worst thing we could do right now. Just saying.

idc but shouldnt this go in the wr thread created by the mods? or are we not doing that

Yes. Youre exactly right. I havent been around here much recently and I just read the 'Cooling off period' thread. I actually came back here to apologize. (great idea, btw)

So, please excuse me for not following the rule.... Now if I may be excused, there is a very good professional football game in OT Id like to get back to. First one Ive seen all day...

I know it was a depressing game, but Hankerson just put up a more impressive game than Devin Thomas/Malcolm Kelly did in two years.

That's got to say something about Shanny's talent evaluation in the draft.

Good game Hank.

Actually, this draft is panning out pretty well. Hankerson looks like an NFL player as does Helu and Kerrigan. Jenkins looked fantastic in preseason, but sadly we never got to see him in a real game. Would love to see what Gomes does in a real game. Hurt looks really uneven, but what can expect for a seventh rounder.

Overall, this is by far our best draft in a long, long time.

You know, no offense to the guy who started this thread and I'm sure he didn't mean it negatively and was just following the consensus among the vocal majority (cough incessant complainers cough) here on this board... but how many times will Shanahan have to say (and then actually back up his talk with action) that when a guy shows up consistently in practice he will play, no matter how young or who's in front of him on the depth chart?

I can never understand why we apply previous regimes philosophies to Shanahan's. Last year he showed that with putting Korey in over Dockery, Torain over Portis, Barnes in at Safety, Bryant over Kemo, benching McNabb, giving Banks opportunities at WR as well as Austin, Banks at returner over Devin Thomas, etc... and yet we still say things like "going against the norm" when putting young guys in. What norm? The Redskins norm previous to Shanahan? If so, why even mention that? What does he have to do with any of that?

This year we've seen Grossman get benched as his play declined; Fred Davis get most of the opportunities even when Cooley was in there; Chris Neild make the team over Bryant and get consistent playing time; Riley get an opportunity to start at ILB at the beginning of training camp (but failing to take the spot) and now, after proving himself capable, starting over Rocky; Kerrigan starting immediately at OLB this year; Trent starting at LT immediately last year; Roy Helu being totally involved in the offense from the get go; Niles Paul getting an opportunity even before Hankerson; of course Hankerson starting at WR now; oh, and how about Jarvis Jenkins who was looking like he was going to start at DE for us during preseason; and so on and so forth.

I mean, how many times does this need to happen before we accept the fact that Shanahan has been really good about giving everyone an opportunity to prove themself into playing time? How many more times does it need to happen before we start saying things like "player x must not be cutting it in practice which is why he's not getting any playing time"?

No, instead we hear ridiculous things like "why did we pick this guy up off waivers instead of giving Royster a chance! Waaaaaaah! "

I mean, really?

*This was not intended to be directed at the OP, just something I've had to read way too many times on here which was triggered by the OP, albeit slightly. Hope I didn't offend you, man!*

The Skins do have young talented WRs in Leonard Hankerson, Niles Paul, and Terrance Austin.

Time to show the door to Brandon "one trick pony" Banks.

Agree with Hankerson and Paul...and Banks (goodbye) but not sure what people see in Austin? I've seen one nice catch, several drops and a fumble. Am I missing something?

On that fade pass to Fred Davis, Hankerson was wide open coming underneath on the slant.... too bad Rex didn't see him. He has played well, and in my opinion, this is why Rex needs to play... because the Wide Recievers won't get looked at deep with Beck in there.

On another note, Perry Riley's play was OUTSTANDING today. I was very pleased with him and think he is a massive upgrade over Rocky McIntosh!

Hopefully Hank-time comes out of this injury okay.

HAIL!

*This was not intended to be directed at the OP, just something I've had to read way too many times on here which was triggered by the OP, albeit slightly. Hope I didn't offend you, man!*

No offense taken, and I agree with you btw.

As you can see, my comments werent directed toward the current coaching staff. I was simply making an observation based on what Ive seen from this team in recent years, especially when we have been so thin at the position.

It was just nice to see a relatively high pick getting a chance to prove himself on the field. His route running looked crisp to me and his hands looked reliable as well. When was the last time a rookie receiver had a 100 yard game for us, I wonder?

Im encouraged.

Receivers are getting hot in the system! Offensive line defintely needs some depth! Defensicve line will be better next year with Jenkins for sure! Time to load the offensive line and Corner Backs. Most of all a Quaterback. We have a great nucleuse of youg talent! Next year could be great! lok out 2 years from now!!!

No, instead we hear ridiculous things like "why did we pick this guy up off waivers instead of giving Royster a chance! Waaaaaaah! "

This was a great post but the above comment was my favorite part. I LOL'ed pretty hard at that. For the record, I couldn't agree with you more.

Archived