Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Grossman reportedly sharing first-team snaps again with Beck

TheGreatBuzz

Okay, whew, I was about to say!

This whole Rex worship/savior stuff is soooooo not the guy I saw this season. He got worse with each game. he was the 32nd ranked QB in the league Even the winning stuff to me is nonsense, they lost 2 out of the last three, when the injuries started to happen against the Eagles, he was a train wreck.

"Players are constantly being evaluated throughout the week, at practice, at all positions, and the individuals who are working the hardest, and performing the best, will play". That's just a paraphrase, but that sentiment has been said over, and over since Shanny took over the team. Its a built in excuse for him to be able to play whoever the hell he wants to play, and not have to answer to it, and frankly i'm glad. Its the way it should be, he's the coach, he makes the calls.

Exactly. Shanahan's made this clear all along. There's no mystery about whether he's a "loyal" coach or "one who can admit when he's wrong," etc. He just tries to put the best player at the time out there, through an evaluative process. Pretty rational, and easy to understand.

This whole Rex worship/savior stuff is soooooo not the guy I saw this season. He got worse with each game. he was the 32nd ranked QB in the league Even the winning stuff to me is nonsense, they lost 2 out of the last three, when the injuries started to happen against the Eagles, he was a train wreck.

Isn't it amazing that, even just a few weeks later, how wonderful the "good old days" of Rex in 2011 were to some?

Exactly. Shanahan's made this clear all along. There's no mystery about whether he's a "loyal" coach or "one who can admit when he's wrong," etc. He just tries to put the best player at the time out there, through an evaluative process. Pretty rational, and easy to understand.

To add to that, I'm still wondering why people think that Shanahan gives a **** about anything that anyone not named "Mike Shanahan" has to say.

Yes, he said that he was staking his reputation on these two clowns. So? He said it to inspire confidence in his team and to get the media to STFU about these guys. Even if they go down as the two worst quarterbacks that we've had since Matthews and Wuerferevfefefel (not even going to try), it doesn't matter. "I'm still Mike ****ing Shanahan and I'm getting my quarterback, anyway. Let me know when you get these rings and then tell me how to run a team."

It's just amazing that people are already trying to run the guy out of town based on this quarterback situation.

NNNNNNNNOOOO!!! ***insert The Office 'gawd no'** Our championship dreams are over. We should not repeat the mistakes of past years of playing the more seasoned guy to eek out a few more wins. We have to get 1 of the top 3 QBs this yr. Unless Beck is putting other players' developement in jeopardy we should stick with him.

This. I wanna see The Shannys doing whatever it takes to win. After Rex threw the 4 pics I was ready to see what beck has also and so far he's shown nothing. So by halftime tomorrow if beck hasnt shown something, insert Rex, let's give it our best shot. I think it will help in the development of our young wideouts and give the team a little more confidence.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan was considering returning Rex. I don't think it was just about the level of play at QB -- it really was about who fit better with the personnel Shanahan had left. Beck was a more 'survivable' option for QB behind the decimated offensive line. But with the offensive line settling down a bit, Rex is the better QB passer between the hashmarks, and throws a more catchable ball. Rex is probably a better QB to evaluate the WRs.

However, I also felt that Beck would be allowed to start a decent enough number of games to show Shanahan just what he had talent-wise during game conditions, and how well he fit the Shanny's play-schemes. To date, I thought Beck was only showing performance somewhere around the level of 'rusty backup.' As the Miami game will be Beck's fourth game in a row -- he'll need to show that the rust has gone, and that he exhibits enough familiarity in how Shanahan wants a QB to manage sustained offensive drives. In a way, it reminds me of the time leading up to Becks last pre-season chance to beat out Rex.

Alternatively, it could simply be that this is simply a little practice time for Rex, to get back in the flow of the offense. After all, Grossman was seriously ill for a while, and even if he remains a backup -- it's probably a good idea for Rex to refresh his muscle memory under controlled conditions. After all, since the Skins still have a somewhat porous offensive line, there is always a chance of some gametime change ...due to QB injury.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82406235/article/grossman-reportedly-sharing-firstteam-snaps-again-with-beck

Now some will say this could have gone in one of the other numerous QB threads......

1. He switches back to Rex. I like this because it shows he isn't so stubborn that he can't admit he was wrong. I would rather a coach admit his mistake and attempt to fix it than insist on staying the wrong course because he can't admit he ****ed up. But on the flip side, I'm not sure I like my coach making those kind of mistakes. And what does it show other players about his loyalty?

2. He stays with Beck. Pretty much the opposite of above. He is stubborn (unless in the long run he ends up being right). He believes in his decisions. He shows loyalty through adversity.

So thoughts anyone? How do you see a flip flop or even just this news coming out affecting his career? His stance with the locker room? Any other bits of wisdom you may want to share?

If Grossman received 1st team reps I think it was to send a message to Beck and to get Grossman back in the groove after missing a couple weeks.

I trust Mike Shanahan will make his decision based on the choice that gives him the best chance win.

I can't imagine Mike's decision would be driven by anything other then what he sees on the field.

If he "flips" it means that he believes Grossman gives the team the best chance to win.

I can only imagine the 'flop' happens if Beck is h o r r i b l e.

I suspect this is more about Beck being bad than Rex being good.

If Beck gets the hook, it's because Shanny has decided his ceiling isn't as high as he thought and that Grossman is the better option now and in the future (although I highly doubt either starts next year).

It's all up to Beck now. To me, the guy looks shot confidence wise and that's a hard thing to change.

EDIT: Read DarrellGreenies post, who said what I was trying to -- just better.

I can only imagine the 'flop' happens if Beck is h o r r i b l e.

That doesn't take much effort on Beck's part.

In Buffalo he took so many sacks that the next game he turned into Captain Checkdown.

Now when he watches film of the Niners game and sees guys like Gaffney and Hankerson behind the defense waving and jumping up and down.....

He'll go into Rex mode and start chucking everything deep...... :ols:

It sounds like Grossman is finally over a fairly serious illness and is ready to compete again. On one hand I get why everyone thinks Shanny is so stubborn - on the other I consistently see him making moves and changing his lineups/decisions based purely on who is working harder and looks better. He benched McNabb in less than one season after sending away multiple picks for him. Moss is our only injured receiver and Hankerson has moved from inactive to starter. Helu is starting over Torain and Shanahan consistently goes with the hot hand at running back. Armstrong, despite all the praise (and rightfully so) for his performance last year and his work ethic, is not getting snaps right now because other receivers are outperforming him. I suppose you could make an argument either way but I feel like Shanahan is quick to point out his mistakes and move on and he has come out and said that's what you have to do as an organization several times.

I am certainly hoping this is true and when Beck comes out and lays another egg this Sunday I'm praying we get to see Grossman. I look forward to watching our RECEIVERS make some plays, getting Davis more involved early, and a general upbeat in excitement/enthusiasm in the players based off of LavarLeap's informed comments about the way the team feels with Grossman as opposed to Beck as the quarterback. The Colts are going to finish with a worse record than us. Period. And they will not trade away the first pick - they will take Luck no matter what.

It will be interesting to see how Rex fares with the same Moss-less WR Corps and awful front line that Beck has had. No running game, no pass protection, getting the OL shoved back in your face on every drop, it won't really matter who the QB is. Switch them out every quarter or bring Ramsey or Brunell back for all the difference it will make. (I'd suggest Campbell but he's injured.) This offense is missing too many pieces for a QB to make a difference at this point.

Honestly... the fact that Rex throws the deep balls, and the balls in double coverage, gives our young receivers a chance to grow and see how they respond to tough situations. It helps them practice their skills when having to get physical with the ball, and basically make a play. I almost cried when Beck went into the game a few weeks ago.

On one hand I'd like to win a few games (Grossman), but on the other hand, I'd rather pick higher in the draft (Beck). Kind of a tough time to be a Redskins fan right now.

why? a few more wins will even set this franchise more behind. we shouldn't be forced to trade up to get a QB, lets just suck it up!

No Rex is a winner and it's going to be amazing when this team still wins the division with him at starter so all those analysts can stick their opinions up their ass or up each others

---------- Post added November-12th-2011 at 12:33 PM ----------

the defense is good. This defense is good enough to play in the postseason. Even though we really need to get rid of Reed Doughty, he should have been gone 3 years ago. Rex will give the threat of the deep ball, and Terrence Austin will emerge.

---------- Post added November-12th-2011 at 12:34 PM ----------

Impossible to tell, but there is absolutely no way that Rex would have lost 4 straight games. Terrible decision by Shanahan.

---------- Post added November-12th-2011 at 12:35 PM ----------

The Giants will collapse and we will win the division as long as the real gunslinger stands up.

---------- Post added November-12th-2011 at 12:35 PM ----------

14 of his 30 completions went to Helu, that just shows you how sorry Beck is

On one hand I'd like to win a few games (Grossman), but on the other hand, I'd rather pick higher in the draft (Beck). Kind of a tough time to be a Redskins fan right now.

I want to be proud of the redskins every sunday. Win or lose. I had that with Rex despite his gambling ways. I like the aggressive nature and I felt like the offense as a unit and the individual players on the offense had identity and potential. Now it's just a big impotent blah of blah blah. I want to draft a future QB but I've never been one to support losing games by design. We can improve our team in many ways by winning and to lose on purpose is even more of a gamble with the future if you ask me. Compete every week and let the chips fall where they may.

I didn't support starting Beck and I want the Sexy back.

Rex is WAY better than Beck. I don't care what you say. I have recorded every game this year and of pre season. There is no contest. Rex lacks accuracy and mobility, but he MAKES THE PLAYS. He actually has a fairly attractive deep ball. Maybe Shanny isn't arrogant. This is the right move. Rex could salvage our season

Archived