Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Godawful for Griffin (III)

NattyBo

I think it's between us, the Dolphins and the Seahawks, and you have to assume that the Rams would be less inclined to trade with a team in their division like the Seahawks. Sure we'd have to bid up, but I'm not sure that it's going to be an all out war like some are claiming with the Rams fielding 15 offers or something.

I would add that the Dolphins QB situation is something they can be patient with also, unlike ours. Matt Moore played pretty well this year and didn't start the entire season, so they could look at keeping their picks and drafting a guy later in the 1st or early in the 2nd and it wouldn't hurt them like it would us.

Not to say I don't think they want one of the top 2 QBs, but I don't think they NEED one like we do.

I would add that the Dolphins QB situation is something they can be patient with also, unlike ours. Matt Moore played pretty well this year and didn't start the entire season, so they could look at keeping their picks and drafting a guy later in the 1st or early in the 2nd and it wouldn't hurt them like it would us.

Not to say I don't think they want one of the top 2 QBs, but I don't think they NEED one like we do.

I agree their need isn't as high. But, their owner recently said to the papers finding a franchise Qb is an off season priority.

With Jones and Barkley back in school, RG3 is clearly the #2 rated QB in the draft, but probably not worth the #6 pick and for sure not worth moving up to get. He still has much to learn, many of his best plays are with his legs not arm. While there is no doubt he can make plays, our offense needs someone who can stand tall in the pocket and distribute the football. The Redskins must stay committed to rebuilding through the draft, and giving away picks for RG3 would be a bad move.

Again, you've made it abundantly clear that you have never seen him play and are making generalizations based on his 40 yard dash time and rushing numbers.

Again, you've made it abundantly clear that you have never seen him play and are making generalizations based on his 40 yard dash time and rushing numbers.

Terpskins has it right. If this dude thinks RG3 cant throw a ball then he has never seen him play. Some of his throws this year were insane. RG3 is definitely a throw first QB - he's got a huge arm and is incredibly accurate throwing on the run, and also his deep ball is usually on the money too.

Agree. Don't recall the source but I read on Twitter today the Vikings will likely actively try to trade their pick to build depth.

This is good news, if true, and something I thought would occur. More trading partners brings down the demand. If the Rams and Vikings decide they want to trade their pick, we may be able to trade the pick for less than anticipated.

I agree.

I think its a 3 team fight between the Fins, Hawks and us.

And I understand the rationale/reasoning to move up: peace of mind considering our dire QB situation.

My rationale for why Griff could be available:

o Miami had solid QB play from 2 different QBs which imo precludes them from wanting to surrender the picks to move up from 9.

o Seattle picks 12th, the compensation to move from 12 to 5 or higher is gonna be higher then the draft value chart indicates.

This is a very good point. Even Denver, who I think is a sleeper in a trade-up, would have to give up so much more to get to #2 or #3. The other thing is the Rams or Vikes are likely to be able to still get OL, WR or RB at #6.

This is a very good point. Even Denver, who I think is a sleeper in a trade-up, would have to give up so much more to get to #2 or #3. The other thing is the Rams or Vikes are likely to be able to still get OL, WR or RB at #6.

Yeah to me again the key is Cleveland, if they indeed get out of the way, R G 3 is likely ours if we want him.

He still has much to learn, many of his best plays are with his legs not arm. While there is no doubt he can make plays, our offense needs someone who can stand tall in the pocket and distribute the football. The Redskins must stay committed to rebuilding through the draft, and giving away picks for RG3 would be a bad move.

Sorry, but RG3 is a pocket passer. You probably haven't seen much film on Griffin if you think he is strictly a a QB that makes plays with his legs. If needed he can make plays on his own but Griffin is a pocket passer first and foremost. People think Griffin is just another Vick or Newton because he is black and that assumption is wrong.

Here's another interesting development in that, if GreenBay's Joe Philbin gets the Miami job I could see him bringing along Flynn. That would put one QB needy team out of the RGiii hunt.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/05/dolphins-will-interview-joe-philbin/

Headline: Dolphins will interview Joe Philbin

I think I'd feel more comfortable with Flynn landing in Cleveland than Miami.

Yeah to me again the key is Cleveland, if they indeed get out of the way, R G 3 is likely ours if we want him.

That's the real question isn't it?

You know, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea for Shanahan and Allen to walk into the FO in Cleveland and basically tell them that RGIII is ours and that we'll go to war and drive up the cost if they even try and take him. Make them realize that it's going to cost a lot more than their 2 1sts to get him. I don't think Holmgren or Cleveland want to get in a bidding war for RGIII, since it'll tank their ability to build their offense. I think Holmgren would back off, give McCoy one more year, and try and grab Richardson, and then probably Wright or somebody later on with the Falcons pick.

Then if we really wanted, we could talk them into trading down with us. They probably still get Richardson, and we could throw in an extra 3rd or something to bolster their draft. We'd still have to have packages for STL and MIN, but having Cleveland as a potential trading partner instead of a rival would be very helpful.

Finally, one more package that might catch their eye and get them off Griffin entirely would be to trade our 1st this year and 1st next year to move to 4, while we get their 1st this year and their 2nd next year. Basically, give them 2 1sts next year, so if they feel like McCoy needs to be switched out, we handed them the keys to Matt Barkley. If Holmgren is stuck between tanking his draft for RGIII, or building his offense while having an out at QB next year, I think he'll take the latter option.

Sorry, but RG3 is a pocket passer. You probably haven't seen much film on Griffin if you think he is strictly a a QB that makes plays with his legs. If needed he can make plays on his own but Griffin is a pocket passer first and foremost. People think Griffin is just another Vick or Newton because he is black and that assumption is wrong.

Yeah, he also said we "need a QB, not a RB/QB".

Clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

I definitely agree that Denver is a sleeper pick in regards to a trade up, but it would cost them a lot more in draft picks than it would us and do the Rams want to be that far down the draft board.

I think people need to get over the trading up, because the Skins are probably going to trade up with St. Louis or the Vikings. Lucky St. Louis will probably take Blackmon, so the Skins could get away with trading with the Vikings and grab RG3 at #3.

his dad sad week or so ago RG3 offical announcement to go pro would be 10th-12th.

Sorry LL, but that was erroneous reporting on behalf of mortenson and ESPN-

Here is the follow up article:

Monday January 2, 2012

Despite a report that Robert Griffin will enter the NFL draft, Baylor’s Heisman Trophy winning quarterback still hasn’t made a decision.

ESPN quoted sources on Sunday that said Griffin will declare for the draft before the Jan. 15 deadline. However, Griffin told a Baylor sports information official he hasn’t decided yet whether he’ll go to the NFL or return for his senior year at Baylor.

Whatever Robert does, he can’t make a bad decision,” said his father, Robert Griffin Jr. “He hasn’t made his decision because he wants to talk to Coach (Art) Briles first. From there, he will let people know.”

Griffin Jr. said his son will meet with Briles and his staff by the end of this week and plans to announce his decision by Jan. 10.

“Robert loves Baylor,” Griffin Jr. said. “Winning the Heisman gives him a very powerful connection to the school. Right now, he just wants to enjoy the bowl win. If he stays, there are still some things he can accomplish.”

Sorry LL, but that was erroneous reporting on behalf of mortenson and ESPN-

Here is the follow up article:

Monday January 2, 2012

Despite a report that Robert Griffin will enter the NFL draft, Baylor’s Heisman Trophy winning quarterback still hasn’t made a decision.

ESPN quoted sources on Sunday that said Griffin will declare for the draft before the Jan. 15 deadline. However, Griffin told a Baylor sports information official he hasn’t decided yet whether he’ll go to the NFL or return for his senior year at Baylor.

Whatever Robert does, he can’t make a bad decision,” said his father, Robert Griffin Jr. “He hasn’t made his decision because he wants to talk to Coach (Art) Briles first. From there, he will let people know.”

Griffin Jr. said his son will meet with Briles and his staff by the end of this week and plans to announce his decision by Jan. 10.

“Robert loves Baylor,” Griffin Jr. said. “Winning the Heisman gives him a very powerful connection to the school. Right now, he just wants to enjoy the bowl win. If he stays, there are still some things he can accomplish.”

still think he is coming out but we will see.I actually think its more backtracking by the father to let Robert have his moment. I have heard a few people close to RG3 say yes coming out as well.

Archived