Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Godawful for Griffin (III)

NattyBo

At this point in the infancy of the offseason, I'm running through all the hypothetical scenarios in my mind that would allow us to stay put at 6 and take RG3 and I just can't seem to think of a reasonable scenario where we won't still feel the need to move up (if that is indeed the ultimate decision Shanahan and Allen make)

For instance: Payton is healthy and stays with the Colts and they deal the #1 overall eliminating either the Browns, Phins or Seahawks from needing a QB. Next, one of the remaining two teams from the other 3 needing a QB (Phins, Seahawks, Browns) signs/trades for Matt Flynn therefore eliminating another one of the 3 contenders, outside of the skins, looking for a QB. Even in this fortuitous scenario, we still have to worry about 1 other serious contender (outside of a potential handful of surprise teams) trading up ahead of our 6th pick to take RG3.

The only aspect that we truly can't have a feel for is how confident our guys can be on draft day that Team X will or won't trade up based on any insight they gain through backroom disucssions, connections etc.

To me it appears they would have to trade up to #2 to be 100% sure they get their guy if they indeed feel that strongly, unless they have eyes/ears elsewhere telling them they can stay put without having to worry about another team trading up.

Free agency should serve to help eliminate at least some of the guesswork.

See Post #2220 in this thread for the latest update.

If Robert does go back to school for his senior year, then I would love to see the Skins sign Justin Blackmon. Kid looks like a young Vincent Jackson to me.

Vincent Jackson?!?! He looks like a middle of his prime Terrell Owens verbatim.

At this point in the infancy of the offseason, I'm running through all the hypothetical scenarios in my mind that would allow us to stay put at 6 and take RG3 and I just can't seem to think of a reasonable scenario where we won't still feel the need to move up (if that is indeed the ultimate decision Shanahan and Allen make)

Theoretically, if no trades were made, we'd have a good shot at RGIII at 6. Luck #1, Blackmon #2, Kalil #3, Richardson #4, Bucs whoever they want (but it won't be QB) #5, and then RGIII at 6.

Of course, every position outside of #1 and probably #4 presents an opportunity for a team to trade up. Everyone is talking STL, but MIN might deal too if STL wants to guarantee Blackmon. Bucs also might be willing to trade.

Unless the Browns, Seattle, and Miami all find franchise QBs before the draft, there's no way we can sit tight. And there's simply no way they find their QBs before the draft, there's just not enough good QBs in FA.

Now, we might get lucky, because Blackmon had a huge night and that might convince STL to sit tight and take him at two, making our trading partner MIN instead, and driving the cost of the pick down. Going from 6 to 3 probably only costs us our 1st and one 2nd, or possibly a 1st and 2 mid rounders. Especially because the lost opportunity cost isn't bad. If MIN is targeting Kalil, they'd have to go from him to probably Martin, and the drop isn't that bad, and that's assuming Kalil is even taken by Cleveland or the Bucs (and Tampa's D is terrible, so they might target Claiborne instead).

Yeah, Blackmon's an absolute monster. And that's why there's no way he's there at 6. A lot of people are saying we should draft him (not you Perry, but others), but he will be gone either at 2 (STL sits tight), 3 (STL trades and MIN pulls the trigger), 4 (Cleveland would love him, if, say, STL traded and MIN went Kalil), or 5 (Bucs had worst D in the league, but their O was 27th. Blackmon is a huge upgrade).

Hell, if Griffin and Blackmon are somehow both on the board at 6, I almost say take Blackmon and then either sell a dozen picks to get the #7 spot for Griffin or just take Flynn in FA. Flynn looks d*mn good with talent, and Lord knows Blackmon has it.

This!

The 81 certainly helps, but he appears to run with that same power and speed that allowed TO to take those 5-10 yard passes to the house... YAC ability comes to mind, which is something we've sorely been missing.

Theoretically, if no trades were made, we'd have a good shot at RGIII at 6. Luck #1, Blackmon #2, Kalil #3, Richardson #4, Bucs whoever they want (but it won't be QB) #5, and then RGIII at 6.

Of course, every position outside of #1 and probably #4 presents an opportunity for a team to trade up. Everyone is talking STL, but MIN might deal too if STL wants to guarantee Blackmon. Bucs also might be willing to trade.

Unless the Browns, Seattle, and Miami all find franchise QBs before the draft, there's no way we can sit tight. And there's simply no way they find their QBs before the draft, there's just not enough good QBs in FA.

Now, we might get lucky, because Blackmon had a huge night and that might convince STL to sit tight and take him at two, making our trading partner MIN instead, and driving the cost of the pick down. Going from 6 to 3 probably only costs us our 1st and one 2nd, or possibly a 1st and 2 mid rounders. Especially because the lost opportunity cost isn't bad. If MIN is targeting Kalil, they'd have to go from him to probably Martin, and the drop isn't that bad, and that's assuming Kalil is even taken by Cleveland or the Bucs (and Tampa's D is terrible, so they might target Claiborne instead).

Yeah, Blackmon's an absolute monster. And that's why there's no way he's there at 6. A lot of people are saying we should draft him (not you Perry, but others), but he will be gone either at 2 (STL sits tight), 3 (STL trades and MIN pulls the trigger), 4 (Cleveland would love him, if, say, STL traded and MIN went Kalil), or 5 (Bucs had worst D in the league, but their O was 27th. Blackmon is a huge upgrade).

Hell, if Griffin and Blackmon are somehow both on the board at 6, I almost say take Blackmon and then either sell a dozen picks to get the #7 spot for Griffin or just take Flynn in FA. Flynn looks d*mn good with talent, and Lord knows Blackmon has it.

If we could land Griffin and Blackmon I wouldn't even care if we had no picks left in the draft. I'd do freaking backflips.

my hope is that either the colts take or trade luck(doesnt matter), the browns sign matt flynn in FA or for whatever reason end up in a trade for him from the packers, the dolphins decide to stick with matt moore for a year (or trade for luck), and seattle stays put since they already have an RGIII esque player in joe webb who they dont like giving playing time(planned to target barkley but didnt declare or trade for luck). Then we sit back and watch Griffin slide to us at #6 without giving up picks. But for the record i would trade up for him

Joe Webb plays for the Vikings. Do you not remember him carving us up? lol

The good news about next year is that we will probably only be playing ONE rookie QB.

At least that's only one guaranteed loss on the schedule so far. :ols:

---------- Post added January-3rd-2012 at 07:17 PM ----------

Wasn't J Blackmon arrested for a DUI charge? I think the dude mught have some character issues once he is paid, I don't see a real effort to get Justin from Mike. But I can't call it, the dude is a beast none the less.

I think the Rams take him if they don't draft Kalil. So, he's either not going to be there at #6, or we're going to trade to #2 so we can take a QB anyway.

I haven't seen this guy much on TV, but it seems like it's his destiny to come here. Heard he grew up a Broncos fan, now he has a chance to work with the same coach and run the offence that he cheered for as a kid. Also, if the Browns pick him he could demand a trade or threaten to play Track & Field (similar to Elway), that's when we hand up the extra pick or two and he lands where he belongs. The irony would be sweet.

Godawful with Griffin. Does not fit in an NFL offense. He doesn't call plays in the huddle. They walk to the line, the play comes from upstairs to the sideline, and it's signaled in". "The coordinator upstairs is reading the defense, RGIII is not doing that at all. And in the NFL, you're going to have to be the one reading the defense. You have to know what's going on at all times. And you have to get him under center, taking 3-, 5- and 7-step drops."

Godawful with Griffin. Does not fit in an NFL offense. He doesn't call plays in the huddle. They walk to the line, the play comes from upstairs to the sideline, and it's signaled in". "The coordinator upstairs is reading the defense, RGIII is not doing that at all. And in the NFL, you're going to have to be the one reading the defense. You have to know what's going on at all times. And you have to get him under center, taking 3-, 5- and 7-step drops."

Same exact thing was said about Cam Newton. Just because you DON'T do those things by design, doesn't mean you CAN'T.

The more I ponder the possibilities of what pans out I have a harder and harder time thinking that the Browns don't take RG3. They can take him and tben still land another real position of need. Reminds me when we landed Samuels &Arrington in the same draft. It's an enviable place to be for them. (Of course Im hoping I'm completely wrong but I do have faith in Shanny to find the best avenue for us.) I think the best we could hope for is the Browns falling in love with Richardson (cause Hillis is not coming back) and Trent is the best RB to come out since Peterson. He would immediately make life easier for Colt. Don't see how we can get there w/o some horse trading.

If the Browns get Matt Flynn, we can nab RGIII at #6. No trading up necessary.

Yeah but that is the only way that we can get RG3 without trading up. If they don't get Flynn, even if sources say the Browns want Richardson or Blackmon, the Skins would still have to trade up to ensure that they get RG3.

Archived