Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Godawful for Griffin (III)

NattyBo

So we've had Suck for Luck, and now Mail it in for Matt. I think it's time we discussed being Godawful for Griffin. Lay a turd for the Third. And so on.

I posit that if the Redskins finish the season with a top 10 draft pick, we need to commit the future to Robert Griffin III.

Who is he, you ask?

uO3QkCbt0ys

In addition to being an ideal QB for Shanahan's system in terms of accuracy and mobility, here's some other stuff you should know about RGIII. First, his college resume and bio.

30bXt.png

Academics:

- He graduated a semester early from High School

- Graduated in the top 7 in his class in High School

- He already completed his undergraduate degree last December.

- He'll graduate with a masters degree this spring.

This guy is the complete package. Arm, legs, brain and character. I know it sucks to be talking about the draft in November, but I'm legitimately excited about the chance to draft him.

I'm not sold yet. And probably won't be till we get all these guys under the microscope. What I saw is a QB who has really great touch and tremendous athletic ability. I didn't see too much of the ability to drive the ball on a line across the middle or to the far part of the sidelines. When he seemed to really fire one in, the ball seemed to sail high and didn't have a ton of velocity.

This is all just based on this one clip. Perhaps there are others that would show more of his game that will translate better to the NFL, but I saw a guy that was killing defenses that were stacking the box against him. Exploiting one on one matchups and showing great touch on 9 routes. Part of it is probably the system, but I'd want to see him at the combine and how he hits things like the stick route.

To be fair, I'm not sold on quite any QB. I'd be a fool to not want Luck, but after that... I'm undecided. I do like Foles in the second as a lower risk proposition.

I really like this guy too, but the one thing that scares me is he might be injury prone. I know he is having an amazing year and I'd LOVE for him to be in burgundy and gold tearing it up, but he had a pretty bad knee injury a year or two ago (If I'm not mistaken it was a knee and not some other part of the leg) but with his slender frame and running style he might be an injury waiting to happen? But I really like his brain (weird sentence) and the threat that he poses. The style of offense that he plays in I think really boasts his stats, I think Vick would have had wayyy higher stats in college even than he did with that kind of offense. SO... I think he will be a poor man's Mike Vick. More accurate coming out of college (less explosive runner obviously) but the injury prone thing just scares me, I want someone that I can count on every game for many years.

Seeing as though Griffin III plays in the Big 12 Conference, I'd say that makes him more impressive than Luck coming out of college. Luck plays in the Pac-10, where there's only two schools that can compete with Stanford. Landry Jones, like Griffin III, also plays in the Big-12. Does that automatically make them better than Matt Barkley or Andrew Luck? Maybe and maybe not. But if Griffin III does declare, I would be pleased if we drafted him.

he's getting a masters 18 months after his bachelors? how does one do that?

---------- Post added November-10th-2011 at 07:16 PM ----------

isnt he a senior?

No he's only a Junior. Graduated HS early and has graduated college early.

Anyone who cares to read if you click on the link in my sig theres a RG3 profile I've written up. Hope you all enjoy it!

No he's only a Junior. Graduated HS early and has graduated college early.

Anyone who cares to read if you click on the link in my sig theres a RG3 profile I've written up. Hope you all enjoy it!

cool. bleacherreport has us taking him 4th overall. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/924136-2012-nfl-mock-draft-why-robert-griffin-iii-is-next-transcendent-nfl-quarterback

posted this is gigantor draft thread, may as well stick it here:

Anyway, as the year goes on, we find out more and more which pick we're gonna have, and at this point I think it's reasonable to set sights on Griffin? And I mean that only from a draft order standpoint. I know it's still too early to tell, and when you try to search there's no real consensus idea of where he'll be drafted. It seems to be rising, but from where and where to, I have no idea. I guess you can't predict the future.

I did read on walterfootball.com that Robert Griffin "doesn't seem like a MIke Shannahan quarterback." I thought exactly what Shanny wants is mobility, rollouts, strong arm etc. They think Newton's play will change that, but I don't think so. I think they're pretty different.

How he could compare to Newton is accuracy, especially on the long ball, but I'm pretty sure Griffin blows Newton away in that department. It's ridiculous how accurate his numbers show he is, but I wonder if it's a result of his offense. He certainly shows accuracy when throwing on the run, but I think they throw a hell of a lot of screens.

Also, Cam's a big dude, and Griffin's a relatively little dude at QB. Cam can afford to smash into dudes, Griff can't, and seems to have a problem with trying to do so when he should slide. Lose the ball or get hurt is the result.

But I think he can adjust that. In fact, his improvement from last year is really really good. I know these are just 2 games, but the first is from last year, and the second from this season:

vs Illinois 2010

vs TCU 2011 (crazy game)

You can see improvements in all the little areas, mainly just basic decision making. Won't throw a pointless pass to a guy who's about to get rocked, wont sail a bad floater on a backwards pass screen, won't run unnecessarily into a bunch of guys. Shows intelligence, and everything else you read about him does, too. I would think a big factor in NFL success is the ability to learn quickly, be a critical thinker, and really show the turnaround on the field. Griff seems to have done that this year with flying colors, so if he's half as good at adjusting to the NFL level, he'll be fine. (Tebow's been trying to learn how to not release the ball from his waist for years, and can't)

Speaking of release, it's a pleasant surprise to see his. You know how they put those little timers on their release on QBs during a short Monday Night Football bit or something, and they show Payton and Brady have everyone beat? Griff challenges them, seriously. It comes out like a pistol. I refuse to refer to Vick, but I will say I think it's faster than Newton. And again, very very accurate, which is what's so difficult about throwing fast anyway.

So his size, at 6'2" is the question. You can mention short guys like Drew Brees or whoever, but I think Griff is different. He moves laterally and creates throwing lanes, rather than having to stand over top of the line. The Skins (Kyle's) offense seems to use a lot of crossing patterns, or double outs to get guys open. Rex and Beck have both found these guys and had the ball batted down at the line, or even behind it. Griff jumps quickly to the side, sets his feet and delivers the pass through a nice open window. If this is the style of the offense, not to mention rollouts, then it's necessary to have the quick guy/run threat. Again, hate to mention Vick, but **** it, he and Newton are succeeding, at least offensively which is what we're DYING for right now.

When our offense has done well, earlier in the year, you saw a lot of rollouts, and guys completely buying on play action. Not only does that mean the QB has time, it means guys are getting open. Say what you want about Kyle, he gets receivers open. Say what you want about Gaffney too, but he's open ALL the time. Griff can throw it through a tire on the run. In fact, one of his 'downsides' if you can call it that, is that he spears the ball at guys so fast, so unexpectedly, that they drop it, or weren't ready for it. To that, I would just tell my players: be ready for the ball at all times. Not a problem for me.

In short, a great fit for this offense. What Shanny wanted in Mcnabb but with the little bonus of, oh, I dunno, ridiculously good accuracy. Seems like a very real possibility at this point. Actually, if we're going to be in the mid top 10 picks, Jones and Barkley are in the hunt, but likely the in form of a trade up. I haven't followed them very close either lately, so I can't say if it's worth a trade up...and the QB pick is VERY important next year... If it's a screw up, everything is ****ed. But I like the idea of not trading away picks and the possibility of being the team that can really use Griffin to his fullest. The accuracy alone is almost enough to sell me on the guy. And not trading up for him, having him around 8 would be nice and easy.

he's getting a masters 18 months after his bachelors? how does one do that?

Its actually becoming a lot more common. I got my Masters in a year and a summer. He's getting his in Communications, not sure how long that takes though.

I hope Kendall Wright can convince him to declare.

Saw on ESPN that Kiper has him in the 20's and he's not in McShay's top 32.

Both have the QB's as Luck, Jones, Barkley and Griffin III (presumably, for McShay since he didn't actually rank a 4th QB).

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7212214/2012-nfl-draft-updated-big-board - Kiper

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7211296/2012-nfl-draft-usc-qb-matt-barkley-continues-rise-board

He throws crossing routes, out routes and bubble screens most of the time, has a nice deep ball and can run. That by itself doesn't say franchise QB to me and so far that's all I've seen him do. He is also absolutely lost when his first read is gone. Watch the non existant degree of difficulty on most of his throws and you'll see why his accuracy numbers are up so much.

Archived