Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Joe Paterno retire or step down after Jerry Sandusky alleged molestation???

skinsforlife101

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't think he should be fired, but I do believe it would be in his best interest to step down after the season.

I don't really see where he did anything wrong, he took what info he had from a GA and went to the AD (Joe Pa's superior). Should he have told the cops? Yeah probably. But its not like he had concrete evidence of it. But, I still think he should step down at the end of the year because this could get really messy for him.

I like the idea that Joe Paterno has superiors. That's hysterical. The university president couldn't fire Paterno. The only person in PA who could conceivably fire Paterno is the governor....and that's probably only true in a circumstance like this.

The AD was a former walk on who played for Paterno in the 70s.

I don't think he should be fired, but I do believe it would be in his best interest to step down after the season.

I don't really see where he did anything wrong, he took what info he had from a GA and went to the AD (Joe Pa's superior). Should he have told the cops? Yeah probably. But its not like he had concrete evidence of it. But, I still think he should step down at the end of the year because this could get really messy for him.

This basically covers most of my response to that:

So' date=' for ten years, Joe saw Jerry Sandusky walking around with kids in his locker room...and had no obligation to do anything?

This is not some 25 year old grad assistant who is worried about his job. This is Joe Paterno, Lord of Pennsylvania, Friend of Presidents, Master of Happy Valley.[/quote']

Joe heard about this in 1998 and again in 2002. It's now been reported that Sandusky was at see at PSU practices with a child as late as 2007.

Both Paterno and McQueary should be ashamed and resign immediately as far as I'm concerned.

He should be fired, humiliated, and tormented for the rest of his sorry days. He looked the other way and enabled the repeated rape of children. No amount of good deeds or good will from his other work can undo that horror. I'm sick of people listing all the good deeds he's done, and offering him a gracious way out. He doesn't deserve it. His other accomplishments are irrelevant now, and don't change the facts of this awful situation.

I'm not familiar with this case, but what about the possibility that he didn't believe that the guy actually raped that kid?

McQueary comes to him in '02 and tells him "something" about Sandusky and a kid in the shower. Everyone is vague now about what McQueary told Joe. In his grand jury testimony, McQueary was graphic. Joe has said he didn't know how serious the allegations were.

Anyway, Joe believed McQueary enough to pass along the info to the AD. More importantly, McQueary is later hired as a full time coach and is now in charge of recruiting.

If Joe thought McQueary was a liar, why would he later give him such important jobs in the program? Until this week, I thought McQueary had a decent chance to be the next HC - a longshot but I saw him being a kind of compromise candidate. He's not Jay Paterno and he's not Tom Bradley and he's not an outsider.

What I don't get is what Joe P thought could have happened in the shower with a coach and a kid that was serious enough to warrant "ridding" the program of him (though it appears he was still there), but not serious enough to go to the police. I mean you have 2 naked people, one of whom is below the age of consent. How do you let this go unreported and from the sounds of it uninvestigated? I think everyone from the guy who reported to Joe P all the way up through the administration of the school should face civil liability from every victem after the 2002 incident, and I would think them possibly criminally liable as accessories. Regardless, they should all be paupers after the civil cases are through with them.

Personally, I step in at the time, but I also acknowledge being unusually sensitive to cases like this because of personal history. I suspect there is a reason why I've heard it advized to women not to yell "rape," but rather yell "fire!" or "I'm on fire!" Sex is one of those things about which we are culturally trained to be blind, but everybody stops to watch a fire. What's more, we are more likely to attempt to be a hero because there is no adversary.

We as a society are judged by how we protect the young and the old. We did a poor job here and I hope the Governor of Pennsylvania rectifies that today. If not maybe there is evidence he took children outside of state lines and the Federal Justice system can take over. As someone said we must not allow this but showing a public outcry for justice. This bothers you so much email Tom Corbett here...I am.

http://www.governor.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/contact/2998/e-mail_the_governor's_office/465341

Now you tell me he should not be fired.....

There can be little doubt that Paterno has known since at least 1998 that Sandusky had a “problem” with “inappropriate behavior” toward children, i.e., he was a child molester. That’s when the campus police did a six-week investigation after a mother reported to them that her 11-year-old son had showered with Sandusky. From the grand jury report:

Stay.. He did his job, he reported it to a higher authority. That is all his job is to do.. he is a great coach who deserves to retire on his own terms. Not going above and beyond the call of duty is not a fire able offense.

However, whoever he told that didn't due their due diligence and bring it to the proper authorities should have to burn for this..

I'm speaking hypothetically here, but if I'm a Dad and I knew you had knowledge of my child possibly being raped and you failed to notify the PROPER authorities? I'm pretty certain it would be worth my while to spend a little time in jail for ****ing you up.

What I don't get is what Joe P thought could have happened in the shower with a coach and a kid that was serious enough to warrant "ridding" the program of him (though it appears he was still there), but not serious enough to go to the police.

JoePa wanted to protect his legacy, but not some kids. This should repeated from every hill and mountaintop.

Step down? Retire?

He should be arrested

In a law of moral court, I'd agree; but it looks like JoePa's story checks out in a court of law. He did everything he had to do according to the law. He wont, nor should he be, arrested.

He should, though, live with the guilt for the rest of his life, which will be just as bad.

I really don't get this "he told someone higher up" nonsense. If someone KNOWS that a reprehensible crime has been committed it is their duty to report it. I'm sorry, but if I find out my supervisor is touching kids I'm not going to HR or something I'm going DIRECTLY to the cops myself and if I don't and it's later found out I knew what was going on my ass is in big trouble.

It's my understanding that someone else told him. He didn't witness the conduct, so he didn't have personal knowledge. Whoever witnessed the conduct should be skewered (the molester should be drowned), but not Joe. From what we can tell right now, he reported hearsay to an administrative superior.

I'd like to know how any parent of a high school senior would allow their child to go to Penn State next year.

He should be fired, but wont. He should step down, but wont.

Penn State University has lost all credibility, but Im certain they will continue to argue and fight claiming the law is on their side, while ignoring the real issue.

Burn in hell JoePa.

For the rest of history, no one should ever mention anything about Joe Paterno without first mentioning that he allowed little boys to be raped in order to protect his own legacy.

He is a first rate piece of **** and you can't post something horrible enough for me to say it is unwarranted.

He should unceremoniously be fired, humilitated; ****, a firing squad would not be too stiff a penalty in my eyes.

I had a lot of time to think about this last night. I am not associated with this school whatsoever, but I can't stop thinking about the victims here. The more and more I think about it the more disturubing that no further action was taken. I mean morally, how could you live with yourself knowing something like this was happening on your campus.

JoePa needs to be fired. I honestly feel like the Penn State Football progam should be boycotted until he is removed.

I can't remember something that has bothered me in the news more than this.

I have lived up here in PA since '83, and have been a adamant PSU fan and supporter of Joepa. I always held him very high as a moral man and a coach and mentor.

That said (and most of you know this) I have been coaching lacrosse up here for over ten years. I have always done my best to instill personal responsibility and good decision making in my players. I have personally fired assistant coaches for verbal abuse of my players. If it was the kind of abuse that went on at Penn State? I'd be in jail.

I can not EVEN fathom that this would be going on , but unfortunately truth talks and BS walks. I am incredibly disappointed in the fact that a man like Paterno would turn a blind eye to something so heinous. How does the guy sleep at night, knowing that he let this **** happen?

Sandusky is the worst type of human being. Preying on vulnerable kids to feed a disgusting sexual habit. I hope they throw him into the darkest hole on the planet.

As far as Joe is concerned? Step down, change your name, get as far away from PSU as possible, and go to hell and take all these other ****s with you

Archived