Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Mess going on at Penn state Thread

Elessar78

Try as you might to protect your school.

This abomination of neglect needs to be pointed out and everyone involved fired!

Supporting the children is their only job and they failed miserably.

Football is just a nice after affect for entertainment

Did you post that You can't call the police because an employee told me that a 10yr old child was raped in my showers?

Seems like that is the first thing that should have happened IMMEDIATELY, followed up by everyone "in charge" being at the facility within the hour.

Bostic: Penn State disagrees with your statement :

I know that everyone immediately wants to pass judgement; I ask that everyone remember there is a difference between a "moral requirement" and a "legal requirement".

and i quote from the website:

Our motto, Leges sine moribus vanae, translates to "Laws without morals are useless."

Wondering if someone will do a Bang Style rant on coaches and atheletic directers.

Terrible story by the way. Sad to see yet another case of people covering up for **** like this.

(Also makes you wonder just how prevalent this kind of thing really is)

Not from me, my friend.

I rant for fun,, nothing funny here.

This is terrible.. I'm a PSU fan, and it rips my heart out.

There's no way I can ever watch my team play again without this coming into my mind.

IMO, the entire program is smeared.. it's unfortunate that JoPa will have this hanging over his end, but it can't be ignored. If Sandusky had been arrested as soon as the truth got out, I could respect that, but there's absolutely no way I can ignore that the school tried to cover it, all the way to the point of him continuing to work with developmentally disabled children. Paterno did the right thing in itially, but when the law didn't show up, he should have pressed the issue.

It smears the entire program, irrevocably.

There is not a punishment bad enough for Sandusky, and as unfortunate as it is, JoPa deserves the shame.

The lesson I learn: Never "respect" anyone you've never actually met. Joe Paterno, you're killin' me here.

~Bang

OK - I've read Pennsylvania's statute about mandatory reporting (if curious - http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter42/s42.42.html), and it seems that Paterno may be able to skirt around "legal" responsiblity here. The PA code says that reporting is mandatory for any suspected abuse involving a "child coming before them in their professional or official capacity." Since Paterno didn't have a professional relationship with these kids (presumably), he probably gets off without criminal charges. For what its worth, I'm familiar with the mandatory reporting laws in multiple states (from work/training as a pediatrician) and PA's are the most limited and narrowest-scope ones I've seen. He wouldn't get away with this in some other states.

Regardless, if these stories are true, Paterno knew about a child rapist and did nothing. He continued to enable this monster. Even if he doesn't go to jail, I hope he (and everyone else involved) is tormented by guilt for the rest of his sorry days.

Well, here's the problem. The reporting requirement is only valid for employees of the organization. In 1998, 2 outside agencies were given report of the allegations. Sandusky resigned in 1999 -- every other allegation was after 1999, meaning he was no longer an employee of PSU. He did these alleged crimes while working for the Second Mile Foundation, not PSU.
Since at least one of the (not alleged) crimes occurred within the football complex, and was immediately reported by a football graduate assistant to Joe, he is on the hook as is PSU.

Again, as I said in the CFB thread . . . I don't believe Paterno knowingly ignored nor sanctioned Sandusky's use and involvement with the university beyond 2002(?). The satellite campuses are pretty spread out and are essentially their own entities. I'm not sure if Joe could keep track of everything Sandusky did and went. I think you take the body of work the Paterno has done and it's not characteristic of him as a person. I do think he exercised poor judgment, but I also don't agree that he needed to lead the witch hunt so to speak.

To that point, my wife has her Masters in Adolescent Sex Offender treatment. We live and work in the state of Pennsylvania. In her career she has seen many innocent people railroaded by the system because of the excessive zeal with which prosecutors go after child sex abuse cases. Some years she has spent as many as 100 days in court with various clients/patients. I'm not saying that Sandusky is innocent, nor be treated as a sympathetic figure. BUT lives and reputations are so easily ruined by these witch hunts and once someone is accused of this-you can't unring the bell. Acquitted or not, the label sticks. I say this because the measured response isn't always "harboring a criminal". Additionally, investigations take time. Victims do not always come forward easily. So when you say that officials move too slowly, but that's in the nature of cases like these.

Again, I don't know why they still let him be "associated" with PSU after 2002. I think it's super-negligent, can it be laid at the feet of Paterno? Yeah. I'm not sure how he could escape being noticed in the facilities even if it was only Paterno and McQueary that knew of the incident.

To me, Paterno was above board up until 2002. Beyond that I need more info as to how Sandusky was allowed to be involved with the University still.

I do think he is done. Despite, my belief that he has done nothing wrong and probably in good moral standing (benefit of the doubt, you're entitled to your opinion if you disagree) but I don't see him keeping his job after this.

I think the Penn State Board of Trustees has made a decision that everyone can be sacrificed in this mess - except Paterno. His name and legacy are far far far too valuable to them. So, don't be surprised when the university president resigns....and somehow Paterno survives. It's not many coaches who are worth literally billions of dollars to their institution, but Paterno is that.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 09:38 AM ----------

Joe will be fired for this. If he had knowledge of it he is gone. He wont go to jail but the next worst thing.

I don't think he will be "fired." Like I said, I see the university administration and entire athletic department being sacrificed before Paterno goes. But I could see him "retiring" at the end of the year.

It's an obvious analogy, but the Catholic Church has done all it can do to insulate John Paul II from the sex scandals. Any number of church officials could go down as long as he remained untouched. This is the same situation - except Paterno has more clout at PSU than the Pope does in the Catholic Church.

The crazy thing is that there is a missing District Attorney in Centre County (where PSU is located). He was involved in investigating a prior Sandusky allegations. Now one thing doesn't relate to the other, DA's investigate a lot of crime. But he disappeared several years back and this year he was pronounced legally deceased. It would blow my mind if this was related to that.

Found this: http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/05/2975854/conflict-what-conflict.html

The crazy thing is that there is a missing District Attorney in Centre County (where PSU is located). He was involved in investigating a prior Sandusky allegations. Now one thing doesn't relate to the other, DA's investigate a lot of crime. But he disappeared several years back and this year he was pronounced legally deceased. It would blow my mind if this was related to that.

Found this: http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/05/2975854/conflict-what-conflict.html

Paterno didn't report this either.

Here's a great graphic showing the timeline of events in the case: http://www.collegian.psu.edu/

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 08:57 AM ----------

Paterno didn't report this either.

I can't tell if you're being facetious. In all reality, the 1998 incident was public knowledge and was the precursor to Sandusky retiring/forced out/asked to resign in 99. The Gricar disappearance was big news in that area.

I think there's a big difference in what was known locally and what has become known nationally in the last few days.

I fully expect Sandsuky to be found dead of a self-inflicted wound within the next few days.

I also can't fathom how anyone in good conscience could "report" this incident to University "authorities" and then basically wash their hands of the issue like Paterno appeared to do. A man of his staure could've put an end to these disgusting acts, but because he didn't they continued and as we all know there are probably MANY unreported victims.

As far as I'm concerned, based on the evidence at hand, if you defend Paterno you should perhaps have your head examined.

Sick, just sick. In all honesty, I don't trust any adult (coaches or anyone of authority) who has full, unguarded access to kids.

And Paterno should be fired.

Unfortunately, what comes out of these situations is that people who are actually trying to help kids will be subjected to more background investigations (which doesn't necessarily stop these instances) and oversight. Hard to say it's not warranted, but I believe sick people like this will find ways to act out their perversions and destroy lives.

My thoughts as well.

I'd like to see the students at Penn State step up and demand that all be fired, Paterno included.

I am/was a huge PSU and JoePa fan. Without knowing everything about this case, I can't disagree with you. No way JoePa should be the coach in 2012. With as much power as he wields up there, there should have been no reason he didn't pursue this more. Following the letter of the law might work for some laws, but not for child molestation (IMO). As fantastic a person/coach he has been, this will put a blight on his career.

I'm looking forward to hear what Lavar has to say about this today.

Unfortunately, what comes out of these situations is that people who are actually trying to help kids will be subjected to more background investigations (which doesn't necessarily stop these instances) and oversight. Hard to say it's not warranted, but I believe sick people like this will find ways to act out their perversions and destroy lives.

The way to stop this is for adults to start listening to children more and not putting more credence into adults' statements that nothing is going on. Children should not be alone with adults in positions of authority. Other children and more adults should be always present. And offenders should be prosecuted, always.

I am/was a huge PSU and JoePa fan. Without knowing everything about this case, I can't disagree with you. No way JoePa should be the coach in 2012. With as much power as he wields up there, there should have been no reason he didn't pursue this more. Following the letter of the law might work for some laws, but not for child molestation (IMO). As fantastic a person/coach he has been, this will put a blight on his career.

I'm looking forward to hear what Lavar has to say about this today.

Exactly.

And I'm with you on Lavar. This is the first time since he's been on the radio, that I actually want to hear what he has to say.

You guys wanting to hear from Lavar - Wise interviewed him for his article that was published in the WP this morning:

“I knew him the way I knew him; he was always someone I admired, respected and looked up to,” LaVar Arrington, who played for Sandusky in the late 1990s at the university nicknamed “Linebacker U,” said by telephone Saturday afternoon. “His foundation has helped tons of kids.”

But the former Redskins Pro Bowler and Penn State all-American linebacker, who is a contributor to washingtonpost.com, also added: “I’m not declaring anything. I’m neutral right now.”

“Because I am also a father and because the thought of one of my kids coming home and saying something bad happened to them like that, I can’t even think about it. I don’t want to discount the stories of the families and their children. Innocent or guilty, he’s tarnished himself by this. I’m very disappointed it’s actually even a possibility.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/if-jerry-sandusky-allegations-are-true-penn-state-and-joe-paterno-deserve/2011/11/05/gIQAYIucqM_story.html

The way to stop this is for adults to start listening to children more and not putting more credence into adults' statements that nothing is going on. Children should not be alone with adults in positions of authority. Other children and more adults should be always present. And offenders should be prosecuted, always.

I agree...although I have a friend who's career, marriage and life basically, was ruined by a 14y/o girl lying (admitted after he spent several weeks in jail) about being molested by him. Children will also hide these incidents from their parents/authorities, thereby making it tough to detect them. I'm definitely with you on adults being smart about putting themselves in bad situations. I coach sports and never give rides to kids without at least another kid or two being along.

You guys wanting to hear from Lavar - Wise interviewed him for his article that was published in the WP this morning:

His reaction makes sense. Former mentor of his and he's a part of print/radio media, so he can't come out and say what he really thinks.

If allegations about GA reporting to Paterno and then Paterno reporting to Curley are true, Paterno is done. Essentially 36 hours elapsed and NO ONE reported the incident to the police. This isn't stealing team sweatshirts, giving money to recruits, or getting a car from a booster. No way he survives this. I'd be shocked if he coaches in their bowl game.

Archived