Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Mess going on at Penn state Thread

Elessar78

Ask any girl who has been subjected to harassment, assault, rape, and stalking on any college campus and reported it to campus police what ended up happening to her case. Often, it's a big cover up job because the university doesn't want negative publicity or a bad rating as an unsafe campus. Campus police are there mainly to protect the university and not the students, kinda like HR is there to protect a corporation and not the employees.

I think McQueary is the only one who showed any character at all. He was a grad assistant and Sandusky was a living legend. And he reported him. Maybe he could have raised a larger stink' date=' but if Paterno, the AD, and the administration weren't, I can see why he would have backed off.[/quote']

yeah, I'd hope that if I were Mcqueary, I would have the fortitude to stop the abuse, report it, and see it to the end. but at least i can understand some of the pressure on McQueary. what i dont understand is how Paterno, who basically runs shop up there, did nothing but attempt to cover himself.

In reading the grand jury testimony' date=' two things stand out.

1. The only person who unequivocably did the right thing is Steven Turchetta, the high school coach and principal who actually properly reported Sandusky.

2. University Police NEVER questioned McQueary. How is that even possible?

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 01:39 PM ----------

You again have to consider who Sandusky is and how highly revered he was. To his players, this is probably like finding out that their father was a pedophile. I've heard Lavar talk about Sandusky. He absolutely reveres the man.

Nearly ever Penn State player seems to love Sandusky unconditionally while most of them had respect and admiration for Paterno that turned to affection over time. This is not your run of the mill assistant.

I agree LKB, and I hate Lavar Arrington, but this has to be a very weird situation for him. He probably won't know how to feel for a few weeks, it all has to sink in.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 12:44 PM ----------

yeah, I'd hope that if I were Mcqueary, I would have the fortitude to report it and see it to the end. but at least i can understand some of the pressure on McQueary. what i dont understand is how Paterno, who basically runs shop up there, did nothing but attempt to cover himself.

If I was McQueary and I was 6'4 220lbs, I pray that I would've beat Sandusky within an inch of his life, but not kill him. How do you walk away from that? How do you look at a 10 year old kid being raped, and walk away?

Trust Navy Dave to come in here and assert that the sex of the victims is more important than their age.

Or to suggest that being gay means a guy is somehow more likely to be a pedophile. (See: post #108 above.)

Get the hell out of here with that crap.

What would you do if you saw a minor sexually assaulted, right in front of you? I'd hope that you'd rescue the child and immediately report it to the police. Why stand there then walk away when you know that something that should never happen is indeed happening without doing something to help the child? That's what boggles my mind in all this.

If I was McQueary and I was 6'4 220lbs, I pray that I would've beat Sandusky within an inch of his life, but not kill him. How do you walk away from that? How do you look at a 10 year old kid being raped, and walk away?

that too. im still processing this information, its shocking. i just dont understand why one wouldnt step up and be a "man". remember the Chinese video posted a couple weeks ago where the young girl was run over by multiple vehicles. and people just walked by, avoiding the girl. not doing the right thing because of the possible consequences or just not caring at all. something is wrong there.

i went to Penn State football camps when i was young teen. i remember thinking how weird it was that everyone revered the higher ups there. it was strange. i can only assume that this reverance toward those in power was what intimidated people such as McQueary from putting a stop to it.

I'd like to believe that would be the case with me, but I honestly don't know. As I pointed out before, McQueary is from State College and that place can be a little cultish. He played on the last really good Sandusky Era teams. It had to be like seeing God commit a crime.

Ask any girl who has been subjected to harassment, assault, rape, and stalking on any college campus and reported it to campus police what ended up happening to her case. Often, it's a big cover up job because the university doesn't want negative publicity or a bad rating as an unsafe campus. Campus police are there mainly to protect the university and not the students, kinda like HR is there to protect a corporation and not the employees.

I would agree with that, having gone to VCU (their campus police were terrible), but if an ADA had visability on this and he didn't run it to ground, he or she needs to get disbarred from the State Bar. There is no excuse for something like that. You can't necessarily argue ethics for everyone, but you can for an attorney. At a minimum that ADA should not be allowed to practice law.

What would you do if you saw a minor sexually assaulted, right in front of you?

I like to think I would stop it. But if the person committing the crime was someone I more or less admired from age 2, I can't make that guarantee.

We have myriad examples now of priests, teachers, coaches, etc who have done this sort of thing. There are many examples of eyewitnesses. There are no examples that I can reall of a physical intervention. I think psychologically, the mind rejects what it is seeing in these circumstances. I'm certainly not going to play internet tough guy.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 01:54 PM ----------

I would agree with that, having gone to VCU (their campus police were terrible), but if an ADA had visability on this and he didn't run it to ground, he or she needs to get disbarred from the State Bar. There is no excuse for something like that. You can't necessarily argue ethics for everyone, but you can for an attorney. At a minimum that ADA should not be allowed to practice law.

I think the ADA who knew about this in '98 is missing and now declared dead.

I don't think any ADA knew about the '02 incident because, well, it never got to that desk.

I'd like to believe that would be the case with me' date=' but I honestly don't know. As I pointed out before, McQueary is from State College and that place can be a little cultish. He played on the last really good Sandusky Era teams. It had to be like seeing God commit a crime.[/quote']

sportsjunkie and LBK, I agree... that would be weird. These GAs will do anything to stay in (see Brian Kelly sending his kid up to his death in that wind storm last year) but this is something that has to hit your human sentiments.

If ever a witch hunt needed to be done, it needs to be done here. Executives and football people in that school need to be thrown in jail.

This whole thing stinks to high heavens and in my opinion that football program has to be nuetralized for at least a season to clean house. That is the minimum the NCAA should do right now.

And if it comes out that McQuerry was given a job coaching recievers in light of this, he needs to face the music too.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 01:04 PM ----------

I think the ADA who knew about this in '98 is missing and now declared dead.

I don't think any ADA knew about the '02 incident because' date=' well, it never got to that desk.[/quote']

Rrrrreeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyy?

Well now we are talking full mini-series/all out motion pitcture stuff here. This is going to get very real for that little town. All this to beat out Bobby Bowden?

And if it comes out that McQuerry was given a job coaching recievers in light of this, he needs to face the music too.

That's my fear in all of this.

Paterno knew that McQueary saw the assault and reported it. And then he hired him as an assistant and put him in charge of recruiting. Hell, at this point, McQueary is practially the face of the program. He's the one on the sidelines acting as a conduit to the players and referees. Obviously, he didn't think he was dealing with a psychopath who makes things up about legendary assistant coaches.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 02:07 PM ----------

interesting...just how far does the rabbit trail go?

That just seems to be an added piece of color. There is no evidence one has to do with the other

This is just to sad, on too many levels, first and foremost for the victims and their families. It is also sad to see people bicker about who is liable, what this means for PSU football or JoePa, when the real issue here is young boys being RAPED. I Caps'd that word to remind people who forget what the real issue is here.

Sandusky was working for the charity where he stalked his victims for over 34 years, and to think that there is only 8 victims is naive at best. I read the GJ testimony, and it sounds as if Sandusky had his routine pretty set, something that could only have happened if he did in fact make it routine. I doubt all victims would be willing or able to come forward, so here is hoping Sandusky uses his faith to repent ALL of his sins, and hopefully offer some closure to victims. If he does not repent fully, I doubt we will ever know the full extent of his crimes.

sportsjunkie and LBK, I agree... that would be weird. These GAs will do anything to stay in (see Brian Kelly sending his kid up to his death in that wind storm last year) but this is something that has to hit your human sentiments.

If ever a witch hunt needed to be done, it needs to be done here. Executives and football people in that school need to be thrown in jail.

This whole thing stinks to high heavens and in my opinion that football program has to be nuetralized for at least a season to clean house. That is the minimum the NCAA should do right now.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 01:04 PM ----------

Rrrrreeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyy?

Well now we are talking full mini-series/all out motion pitcture stuff here. This is going to get very real for that little town. All this to beat out Bobby Bowden?

That ADA went missing in '05 and was about to retire. I doubt anyone was trying to shut him up about a story that was never presented to him three years prior.

That just seems to be an added piece of color. There is no evidence one has to do with the other

and the janitor (war vet) who saw the oral sex scene in the shower... now he's in a mental institution. (toward the end of the pdf)

could be coincidental again, but these conincidences are multiplying.

im skeptical about the depth of this cover up, to say the least.

It's a shame that these children's lives were ruined because of all the greed within the Penn State athletic community.

I'm not even sure it's greed. It may be greed for the university president, but PSU Athletics does not run on money. It runs on its own self-righteousness. Joe Paterno has spent the last 43 years telling everyone else in college football how to run their programs. The idea that one of tha architects of The Grand Experiment was a pedophile strips away PSU's very identity.

As of Saturday, Penn State no longer has an identity. Everything that school has allegedly stood for for 40 years is gone. It's not they have been revealed to be the same as everyone else - they are worse than everyone else. Miami wouldn't have protected an assistant coach who did this, because Miami doesn't need to protect its reputation above all else.

and the janitor (war vet) who saw the oral sex scene in the shower... now he's in a mental institution. (toward the end of the pdf)

Pretty sure he was in a nursing home, and had dementia.

He was a Korean War vet, so he was definitely old. I highly doubt there's more to the story than that.

Well dementia is a side effect of PTSD, which many vets get. I will tell you this issue didn't help him any, but he was headed there anyways. I am sure my day will come soon too, unfortunately.

What got me about his story was how he was AFRAID to report it because he didn't want to lose his job. I mean, we want to ***** about Redskins park, this place is on another level.

LBK do you have a link to the story about the ADA going missing?

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 01:26 PM ----------

Very ignorant statement. Could Joe have done more, sure. Cover up? Don't think so, Sandusky wasn't even employed by Penn State at the time and possibly not recommended the UVA job by Paterno himself.

Okay... so what other motivation was there to cover up child rapes by this sicko?

And try to actually READ everyone's attachments and READ the Grand Jury Indictment before you comment. Several of the accusations by the victims took place when Sandusky was the defensive coordinator.

Archived