Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Mess going on at Penn state Thread

Elessar78

What's not clear? He told the college police. When they did nothing he should have taken it to law enforcement.

Yes, he should be fired.

That's what I thought you meant. Chipwhich threw me off with his reply though. Absolutely you're right. I don't know how he slept at night knowing that this guy was essentially getting away with something like that.

Paterno and Grad Assistant went to the AD, AD told the Grad Assistant that authorities were contacted and Sandusky was not allowed to use the locker rooms. It was also reported to the charity he was working for. So now it's Paterno's fault that he was lied to by his AD and the School President. Also, if this is the case why not go after the GA? He saw the whole thing first hand, why shouldn't he go to the cops. Why you guys are attacking Paterno, I have no idea. He reported it to the AD and was told that the authorities were notified, what more should he do? Demand to see the report paperwork?

Wouldn't be shocked to see both Paterno and Mcqueary (the GA) go down for this - fairly or unfairly.

Wouldn't be shocked to see both Paterno and Mcqueary (the GA) go down for this - fairly or unfairly.

We still need more info, obviously as a PSU fan my initial instinct is going to be to defend the man that brought my school to glory. But I'm man enough to admit I'm wrong and criticize Paterno if he did infact know that these actions continued after the first meeting he had with the AD.

We still need more info, obviously as a PSU fan my initial instinct is going to be to defend the man that brought my school to glory. But I'm man enough to admit I'm wrong and criticize Paterno if he did infact know that these actions continued after the first meeting he had with the AD.

You should be man enough to know that these actions occurred period. Not after a meeting with the AD.

Then say the same about the GA (McQueary), he saw the incident first hand. Quit attacking Paterno and his character.

The more I think about this the more I think there is no way that McQueary survives this.

He's the head recruiter - how is he going to walk into houses and convince parents that their kids will be taken care of at Penn State.

The more I think about this the more I think there is no way that McQueary survives this.

He's the head recruiter - how is he going to walk into houses and convince parents that their kids will be taken care of at Penn State.

McQueary will be gone, Joe Pa will retire at the end of the year, and PSU will be left in a giant hole struggling to recover. This is going to destroy the program which is already struggling to keep up as it is.

From what I know so far....the grad assistant was McQueary. God bless him for actually reporting it. That could not have been easy.

It seems like Paterno followed the letter of the law. The university administration certainly did not follow the law.

I love Paterno, but at some point, shouldn't he have asked, "Hey...whatever happened to that thing with Sandusky?"

Penn State banned Sandusky from bringing kids to the football facilities in 2002...which is pretty strong evidence that they knew what was going on. But - and this is amazing - Sandusky was holding overnight football camps at the staellite campuses until 2008.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 01:29 AM ----------

I think McQueary is the only one who showed any character at all. He was a grad assistant and Sandusky was a living legend. And he reported him. Maybe he could have raised a larger stink, but if Paterno, the AD, and the administration weren't, I can see why he would have backed off.

All the ppl who say paterno will be gone must not follow penn state. Because Paterno is a God there and nothing will take him out of penn state ever

Knowing that his top assistant for 30 years was molesting kids might actually be enough to budge him. I've followed Penn State since Curt Warner's days. I love Paterno. I think he needs to go.

Also, sentences are your friend.

All the ppl who say paterno will be gone must not follow penn state. Because Paterno is a God there and nothing will take him out of penn state ever

He was going to retire at the end of the year anyways (his contract is up), he will go in peace but this will be a black mark on his legacy.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 12:50 AM ----------

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_executives_step_dow.html

And it begins

Woody Hayes was a god at Ohio State.

Bob Knight was a god at Indiana.

etc, etc, etc.

I'm going to wait a bit before I really pass judgment, but if Paterno ends up being at fault for any of this, it'll be worse than throwing chairs across a basketball court and being a prick or punching a rival player in the neck.

Being a "god" means nothing.

Paterno is God at PSU he wont be fired and he will not resign at the end of the season the only way this would kill paterno is if he was molesting boys other than that he will be their till he dies and u can take that to the bank

Even if he isn't, IMO he should be. The incident reported to him by McQueary was 9 years ago. Paterno and Sandusky knew each other well enough, and Sandusky was still around PSU and satellite campuses after '02. So Paterno not only knew that Sandusky saw little reprimand for his actions, but apparently also never questioned Schultz nor Curley again about it, and for 9 years later there's no way he didn't hear of, or maybe even see, Sandusky around other kids, and had that doubt about him from the '02 incident, yet Paterno never took it any further. He should have reported it to the police. Poor enforcement by your superiors is not an excuse. When they failed to act, Paterno should have gone to the next highest authority, the police, and gone directly to the school President. But he failed to act, and should face the consequences, same with McQueary for failing to follow through with police when no actions were taken against Sandusky. He's a recruiter now, so it could be he decided not to act on it further out of desire to keep good ties with the coaching staff he wanted to work for.

If it was your kid, would you forgive Paterno?

A lot of PSU heads are going to roll over this, and Paterno's legacy won't likely fully escape it, though because of his coaching career and the fact he did at least report the incident to his superiors, his reputation may not be completely tarnished, he could escape like Roethlisberger or Vick, though their legacies are, at the least, tainted.. Every single person who knew about an incident and failed to report it to police when Sandusky received no punishment, is responsible, this includes the the person from Public Welfare and the detective who interviewed Sandusky on the '98 incident.. Had police been involved early, the later incidents could have been stopped.

Very shameful events that's unfolding

Reporting criminal incidents to campus police anywhere in the US is a dicey proposition. There is often no action taken, local police forces are not informed, all to protect the reputation of the university/college.

This abuse has been ongoing for decades and people in authority knew about it. It's like the Catholic Church all over again. These poor children, no one protected them.

I think that campus police forces should be required to report all crime to the local police for disposition, rather than doing that themselves. Let the chips fall where they may as to whether a campus is safe or not. I'm sick of the coverup of crime we keep reading about. It should be everyone who is responsible for children in an organizational way to report abuse, not just doctors/nurses/teachers. Coaches, after hours care, anyone so children can feel that there is someone that they can report abuse to, and that it will be taken care of properly instead of hushed up to protect the adult.

I'm very surprised that Paterno isn't included in the criminal charges, and I suspect he might be down the road. Pennsylvania (like every state) has mandatory reporting laws. Basically anyone who becomes aware of child abuse or neglect is legally obligated to report to the appropriate authorities (police or child protective services). As a pediatrician, I've gotten training on these laws in every state I've worked. If I learn of child abuse and don't report it, I lose my license and can be charged with a crime. All school employees are also included as "mandatory reporters." I've called police or CPS a bunch of times related to my patients. Its not fun, but its not difficult, and its something you simply have to do.

Paterno getting off the hook, either legally or morally, just because he passed it up the in-house chain and never called police or CPS is a crock. If these accusations are accurate, he's complicit in the rape of children. Same goes for anyone else who knew and didn't do the right thing.

I'm very surprised that Paterno isn't included in the criminal charges, and I suspect he might be down the road. Pennsylvania (like every state) has mandatory reporting laws. Basically anyone who becomes aware of child abuse or neglect is legally obligated to report to the appropriate authorities (police or child protective services). As a pediatrician, I've gotten training on these laws in every state I've worked. If I learn of child abuse and don't report it, I lose my license and can be charged with a crime. All school employees are also included as "mandatory reporters." I've called police or CPS a bunch of times related to my patients. Its not fun, but its not difficult, and its something you simply have to do.

Paterno getting off the hook, either legally or morally, just because he passed it up the in-house chain and never called police or CPS is a crock. If these accusations are accurate, he's complicit in the rape of children. Same goes for anyone else who knew and didn't do the right thing.

Well, here's the problem. The reporting requirement is only valid for employees of the organization. In 1998, 2 outside agencies were given report of the allegations. Sandusky resigned in 1999 -- every other allegation was after 1999, meaning he was no longer an employee of PSU. He did these alleged crimes while working for the Second Mile Foundation, not PSU.

Well, here's the problem. The reporting requirement is only valid for employees of the organization. In 1998, 2 outside agencies were given report of the allegations. Sandusky resigned in 1999 -- every other allegation was after 1999, meaning he was no longer an employee of PSU. He did these alleged crimes while working for the Second Mile Foundation, not PSU.

I don't think so. The obligation to report doesn't have anything to do with the employer or location of the abuser. The purpose of the laws is to protect children and to get the abused kids out of a dangerous situation. If I (as a pediatrician) see a child I suspect of being abused, it doesn't matter where the parents (or other abuser) works - it just matters that a kids in danger. There may have been some in-house rules for PSU employees, but that doesn't alter one's obligation to protect the kids involved.

I know that everyone immediately wants to pass judgement; I ask that everyone remember there is a difference between a "moral requirement" and a "legal requirement". I am in no way condoning what has allegedley happened in State College. It seems alot of folks want to hang JoePa. Everyone is clearly able to make their own judgements about this set of incidents and if JoePa (and others) performed their "moral requirement" or just failed in the legal facets. The PA AG will be having a presser this afternoon to answer some of the outstanding questions.

FYI: Curley and Schultz has both resigned.

From ESPN:

"Unfortunately," Scott Paterno said, "once that happened, there was really nothing more Joe felt he could do because he did not witness the event. You can't call the police and say, 'Somebody tells me they saw somebody else do something.' That's hearsay. Police don't take reports in that manner. Frankly, from the way he understood the process, he passed the information on to the appropriate university official and they said they were taking care of it. That's really all he could do."

The attorney general also discussed a 1998 police report involving Sandusky and inappropriate behavior with children. No charges were brought. Sandusky retired the next year to devote his time to The Second Mile, a charity he founded to help children. Sandusky also raised many foster children.

The two events were unrelated, Scott Paterno said, because his father knew nothing about the police report. A recent request to read it was denied by the university. Sandusky retired with great fanfare.

"Does anybody really think," Scott Paterno said, "that if (the university) thought he was a child rapist, they would have given him a farewell tour?"

Nevertheless, hindsight has left Joe Paterno and his wife Sue in anguish.

"Sue and I have devoted our lives to helping young people reach their potential," Joe Paterno said in his statement. "The fact that someone we thought we knew might have harmed young people to this extent is deeply troubling. If this is true we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families. They are in our prayers."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7200340/joe-paterno-penn-state-nittany-lions-says-true-were-all-fooled

Archived