Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: DC Officials Taking First Steps to Lure Skins Back to RFK Site

E33Green

D.C. officials visit NFL Bucs' facility to help bring home Redskins?

What were Mayor Vincent C. Gray, and D.C. Council members Jack Evans and Michael Brown doing at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport on Friday?

The trio was headed south to get a behind-the-scenes look of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' headquarters and practice facilities.

Washington "deserves the Redskins" and the "Redskins deserve Washington," a source told me.

"We're still in the early planning stages," said the source. "It will take six months to demolish the buildings currently on the site of Reservation 13 and three or so years to build the new facilities."

Reservation 13 straddles the Anacostia River, is adjacent to the underutilized RFK Stadium and provides easy access to major north-south and east-west arteries.

A new state-of-the-art D.C. training field would certainly prove more suitable than facilities in Ashburn, where a planned bubble-encased structure will have to suffice for the Redskins' indoor facilities.

Click for full article:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/city-state/2011/nov/1/dc-officials-visit-nfl-buc-facility-help-bring-hom/

Apparently Vincent Gray was extremely pissed that this trip got leaked. Read into this what you will.

I saw this on channel4 this evening, it was reported that DC is trying to lure them out of Redskins Park. As far as they knew at this point it was only for office and traing facilities.

I have to agree with Chipwich on this one, a new stadium will price ALOT of people out of season tickets. I'm ok with the facilitites being in DC but not the stadium, atleast not yet.

I'd like to see this happen. Landover is way too far off the beaten path, it's been a nightmare at some points trying to get in & out. Plus, with the team moving back to DC, the Metro is within walking distance to just about everywhere. Not so in MD.

Truth be told, yes ticket prices would probably rise, but don't think for a second that the die-hards won't find their way into the stadium week in & week out.

They need to make the stadium in similar fashion to RFK, with an overhang to help keep crowd noise in, but with no roof, to let the elements play a part as well.

JKC had FedExField built with the idea that the Super Bowl could be hosted there. Moving forward, the Skins need build a stadium in DC that functions for the Skins & Skins fans primarily.

They need to not worry about building a stadium that can accomodate for a Super Bowl & just cater to the fans that will be there every week. That's just my opinion, tho.

I'd like to see this happen. Landover is way too far off the beaten path, it's been a nightmare at some points trying to get in & out. Plus, with the team moving back to DC, the Metro is within walking distance to just about everywhere. Not so in MD.

Truth be told, yes ticket prices would probably rise, but don't think for a second that the die-hards won't find their way into the stadium week in & week out.

They need to make the stadium in similar fashion to RFK, with an overhang to help keep crowd noise in, but with no roof, to let the elements play a part as well.

JKC had FedExField built with the idea that the Super Bowl could be hosted there. Moving forward, the Skins need build a stadium in DC that functions for the Skins & Skins fans primarily.

They need to not worry about building a stadium that can accomodate for a Super Bowl & just cater to the fans that will be there every week. That's just my opinion, tho.

Nice concept. Fans will flock to Landover with a winning team.

Meanwhile a stadium in DC will be much like Jerry World in Dallas. High priced seating for corporations.

Don't let the $100 lower level seats at FedEx make you forget you get what you ask for. ;)

Fed Ex will never host a Super Bowl. It is ridiculous how much money the franchise and surrounding community profit from hosting a Super Bowl. It's only a matter of time before the Redskins move into a state of the art facility. Most likely that'll be back in DC. That'd be a good thing.

"Now, I hear you. The 'Skins FedEx record ain't what it used to be."

I guess he's referring to 05.

Sounds like DC is looking into giving a nice chunk of land to Danny at the RFK site for free, and then they'll offer every tax break possible to build a new practice facility. This is the first step of a long term plan to eventually build a new stadium at RFK, but I don't see any benefit to anyone at this time.

Fed Ex will never host a Super Bowl. It is ridiculous how much money the franchise and surrounding community profit from hosting a Super Bowl. It's only a matter of time before the Redskins move into a state of the art facility. Most likely that'll be back in DC. That'd be a good thing.

Definitely. FedEx sucks. I hate going there. It has all the charm of a seasick crocidile. The Skins NEED to be back in DC. Like the Nationals and the Caps (ok, ok the Wizards too, if they ever play again...)

"Now, I hear you. The 'Skins FedEx record ain't what it used to be."

I guess he's referring to 05.

Sounds like DC is looking into giving a nice chunk of land to Danny at the RFK site for free, and then they'll offer every tax break possible to build a new practice facility. This is the first step of a long term plan to eventually build a new stadium at RFK, but I don't see any benefit to anyone at this time.

That sounds about right to me.

But if they find a way to get the City to build the stadium, do we still have to pay PSLs? I thought that was only when the owners paid for it and wanted to get that money back?

Archived