Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: DC Officials Taking First Steps to Lure Skins Back to RFK Site

E33Green

First off, I'm not sure I understand those of you who are referring to the Skins' "lease" at FedEx Field. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they have a lease given that Daniel Snyder owns the stadium and the land.

I'd be all in favor of the team moving back to DC (presumably back to a renovated RFK or to a new stadium on that site). The thing I found ironic is that some of the commenters actually were upset that DC United might move someplace else or be displaced by the Skins. Admittedly I'm not a soccer fan, but...do people not realize the socio-economic impacts that having the NFL back in the city would have? I get the whole "don't take my team" thing, but I think that the number of Skins fans that would love to see the team go back to DC far outnumbers the number of die-hard DC United fans.

We just say lease because that's basically what it is.

From a January 2007 Washington Post Article:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2007/jan/12/20070112-125237-5424r/

Team general counsel Dave Donovan said the Redskins are legally bound to FedEx Field until 2027 because of agreement between the team, the state of Maryland and Prince George’s County, and said the team has expressed no interest in leaving the Landover facility at least until then.

~~~

Whatcha talkin about Willis?

This past decade DC kicked out all the poor black people. You would be putting a sales tax on a bunch of douchy 20 something hipsters

Not all of them..... well not yet. It is coming though. The biggest being Barry Farms who are on a year by year lease with Bolling Air Force Base.

If we can play in friggin Toronto, why can't they clean ol' RFK up and play at least 1 game a year there?

I'd go on a limb and say the Skins would win every game they played there. Man, what a sight it was to see the stadium on t.v.; "YOU ARE LOOKING LIVE AT RFK STADIUM", crowd going bananas, bleachers shaking, camera jumping around from the vibration. THATS the kind of feeling every Redskin player should get an opportunity to feel; there was no other atmosphere like it...

i'm gonna go suck my thumb in the corner and cry...

That place was just awesome in the mid 90s, wasn't it?

The reason you can't play one game a year there is because a) the place should be condemned and B) you would be telling suite owners and club seat owners to go **** themselves.

Curses? Or that Fedex Field is a monstrosity in bum**** PG County?

Curses. As if the football gods doomed us to be mediocre for leaving DC for PG County. Its almost hilarious...like as a group, sports fans revert back to early pagans when it comes to explaining things they don't understand--like how a team that was so great in the past sucking for two straight decades. It must be a curse! :doh:

Curses. As if the football gods doomed us to be mediocre for leaving DC for PG County. Its almost hilarious...like as a group, sports fans revery back to cavemen when it comes to explaining things they don't understand--like how a team that was so great in the past sucking for two straight decades. It must be a curse! :doh:

Oh I don't believe in a Skins curse. But I'm also not going to pass up an opportunity to **** on FedEx Field. Hate that ****ing place.

We just say lease because that's basically what it is.

From a January 2007 Washington Post Article:.

Right. But what is interesting is that PG County gets the right of first refusal to build a new practice facility if/when the Redskins leave Ashburn.... so this is a lot of moving and shanking by Vincnent Gray and his lackies unless someone has found some sort of an out.

I would love to see that lease myself. lol.

FedEx. Got no problem with PG County at all.

Oh, that is good.

I always wonder how different would stadium have been if was out in Potomac Yards (Alexandria) instead of Landover.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 02:14 PM ----------

Right. But what is interesting is that PG County gets the right of first refusal to build a new practice facility if/when the Redskins leave Ashburn.... so this is a lot of moving and shanking by Vincnent Gray and his lackies unless someone has found some sort of an out.

I would love to see that lease myself. lol.

Yeah, that is why he is so pissed that the information got out. Like I said though, if DC wants the Redskins facility, they will get it. I don't know how, but they will get it.

I always wonder how different would stadium have been if was out in Potomac Yards (Alexandria) instead of Landover.

Funny you mention that, bc I frequently drive though present day Potomac Yard and often wonder the same.

The Metro rail situation would have been equivalent to FedEx, and there would have been about the same amount of room to park at Potomac Yard as we have in Raljon today. But the traffic situation at PY would have made Landover look like a picnic. The GW parkway and Route 1 would have been the only roads to serve the place. So we're talkin four lanes on the Parkway; and then another 6 lanes featuring 20 stop lights on that two mile stretch of Route 1 through Crystal City... the only path leading to and from 395. Getting to the Beltway through Old Town? Foe getta bout it.

Funny you mention that, bc I frequently drive though present day Potomac Yard and often wonder the same.

The Metro rail situation would have been equivalent to FedEx, and there would have been about the same amount of room to park at Potomac Yard as we have in Raljon today. But the traffic situation at PY would have made Landover look like a picnic. The GW parkway and Route 1 would have been the only roads to serve the place. So we're talkin four lanes on the Parkway; and then another 6 lanes featuring 20 stop lights on that two mile stretch of Route 1 through Crystal City... the only path leading to and from 395. Getting to the Beltway through Old Town? Foe getta bout it.

Yeah, I gotta agree with that. Although somehow I think they could have made it work.

If a stadium does comeback to DC, it has to be either at the old RFK site or somewhere near Nationals Park/Navy Yard. Having a stadium with that close to a metro station would make things so much easier on everybody.

They need to move the Stadium back to RFK, use the same field but build a new stadium around it. It could be called FedEx Field at RFK.

The practice facilities should stay in Ashburn, VA. It's a better place out there for the players to live and for the young men to mature. Being in the city might be too many distractions for them to focus on football.

The team needs to focus on getting back to the district for game days not practice.

Where I come from on this is that I am in favor of it - just like I am in favor of us picking up Andrew Luck or trading a 3rd and a 5th for Adrian Petersen or sending Jamal Brown and a 7th rounder to NE for Brady. It strikes me as just about as likely to happen:

MLSKINS said part 1 of what I want to : we are calling it a "lease" but the Redskins have an agreement with the State of MD and PG to play through 2027. All this talk of "breaking the lease" and moving in the next 15 seasons after this one is the equivalent 'handwave' you often see from SciFi enthusiasts who predict that "somehow" we will figure out faster than light travel....even though at this point it is simply not scientifically feasible.

Pt. 2 though is that Snyder owns Fedex, he owns parking and concessions and he owns the second most profitable NFL Franchise on the planet..... so imagine what kind of dough the DC government will have to cough up to have him abandon all that and on top of that cut his own throat by having a white elephant on his hands in Landover ... I am not saying there isn't a "number" for Snyder- sure there is, we all know there is - but it starts with a "B" as in Billion and I bet it is north of 2, when including the costs of building the new stadium. I say no way politically that DC can pony that kind of dough up. I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

Where I come from on this is that I am in favor of it - just like I am in favor of us picking up Andrew Luck or trading a 3rd and a 5th for Adrian Petersen or sending Jamal Brown and a 7th rounder to NE for Brady. It strikes me as just about as likely to happen:

MLSKINS said part 1 of what I want to : we are calling it a "lease" but the Redskins have an agreement with the State of MD and PG to play through 2027. All this talk of "breaking the lease" and moving in the next 15 seasons after this one is the equivalent 'handwave' you often see from SciFi enthusiasts who predict that "somehow" we will figure out faster than light travel....even though at this point it is simply not scientifically feasible.

Pt. 2 though is that Snyder owns Fedex, he owns parking and concessions and he owns the second most profitable NFL Franchise on the planet..... so imagine what kind of dough the DC government will have to cough up to have him abandon all that and on top of that cut his own throat by having a white elephant on his hands in Landover ... I am not saying there isn't a "number" for Snyder- sure there is, we all know there is - but it starts with a "B" as in Billion and I bet it is north of 2, when including the costs of building the new stadium. I say no way politically that DC can pony that kind of dough up. I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

We are talking about NOVA. Two things NOVA has- Traffic and money.

Okay, maybe I'm dumber today than usual, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Why did JKC move us to Landover in the first place?

2) Who currently owns RFK? Depending on the answer to that, perhaps a FedEx/RFK trade of some sort could be worked out?

3) Couldn't a new stadium be built in the same spot? (The DC United could move their games to Landover, no?)

I've been a Redskin fan since I was a kid, but only in the last few years have I been able to attend games live, so I don't know either area particularly well. I'll probably get blasted for asking this stuff, but I'm curious and don't know where to look for the answers.

Archived