Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Awesome Magical Adventures of Herman Cain Thread (aka.....Herman news)

@DCGoldPants

Snark only goes one way?

~Bang

I thought snark was a two way street? OR is it a boulevard?

I must look that up.

SnarkLog.gif

---------- Post added October-14th-2011 at 08:48 AM ----------

How does he ever expect to sell this to the public?

A family of four making under 120K per year then you will pay more taxes under Hermain Cain.

IT's the trickle trickle down effect. 999 upside down is 666, hhahaha

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain might be in the midst of his campaign’s first crisis, all thanks to ice cream.

Now leading in at least one national poll, Cain is frequently asked if he is the new political flavor of the month. Cain’s canned response is: “Haagen-Dazs black walnut tastes good all the time.”

Here’s the problem: Haagen Dazs no longer makes black walnut ice cream. It was a limited edition, and is no longer available. So, in a manner of speaking, you might say that Haagen Dazs black walnut was – by definition – a flavor of the month.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/10/fact-check-herman-cains-ice-cream-meltdown/

:ols:

What does Cain's 9-9-9 plan mean for people who live in Delaware, where there is no sales tax?

Have not been following him at all so I don't know if this has be asked/addressed

Fair share? They use schools, highways etc. ?

They stopped making the icecream because they are racist.

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain might be in the midst of his campaign’s first crisis, all thanks to ice cream.

Now leading in at least one national poll, Cain is frequently asked if he is the new political flavor of the month. Cain’s canned response is: “Haagen-Dazs black walnut tastes good all the time.”

Here’s the problem: Haagen Dazs no longer makes black walnut ice cream. It was a limited edition, and is no longer available. So, in a manner of speaking, you might say that Haagen Dazs black walnut was – by definition – a flavor of the month.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/10/fact-check-herman-cains-ice-cream-meltdown/

I read this yesterday and thought... really?

This is an "issue" for Cain?

Honestly of all the real things that can be talked about, someone wasted how much time writing that Cain slipped up because Haagen Dazs doesn't make Black Walnut?

Ridiculous.

~Bang

I read this yesterday and thought... really?

This is an "issue" for Cain?

Honestly of all the real things that can be talked about, someone wasted how much time writing that Cain slipped up because Haagen Dazs doesn't make Black Walnut?

Ridiculous.

~Bang

agreed. I'm just glad he doesn't use pizza analogies all the time.

9-9-9 came from SimCity?

Huffington Post

WASHINGTON -- In Herman Cain's America, the tax code would be very, very simple: The corporate income tax rate would be 9 percent, the personal income tax rate would be 9 percent and the national sales tax rate would be 9 percent.

But there's already a 999 plan out there, in a land called SimCity.

Long before Cain was running for president and getting attention for his 999 plan, the residents of SimCity 4 -- which was released in 2003 -- were living under a system where the default tax rate was 9 percent for commercial taxes, 9 percent for industrial taxes and 9 percent for residential taxes. (That is, of course, if you didn't use the cheat codes to get unlimited money and avoid taxes altogether.)

Welp, I just have to say that all of you bashing the black man on matters of policy are racists. Your rules.

dude.. for smoeone that is colorblind, you talk about race FARRRRR too much.

honestly, you bring it up more than the entire rest of this board combined.

dude.. for smoeone that is colorblind, you talk about race FARRRRR too much.

honestly, you bring it up more than the entire rest of this board combined.

Then you haven't been reading much.

Even the calm, rational posters have accused the Tea Party of supporting Cain to "prove" they're not racist. But give their bull**** a free pass. :cheers:

Then you haven't been reading much.

Even the calm, rational posters have accused the Tea Party of supporting Cain to "prove" they're not racist. But give their bull**** a free pass. :cheers:

I have, and I hate to say it, but he's right.

You bring it up in threads where it has no bearing.. it's a pet peeve of yours and it's obvious.

In this thread, for example, I saw no mention of race until you came in and laid it up on the table. And even though I read it as tongue-in-cheek.. there it is, and race is now a part of this discussion.

~Bang

Ya, Herman Cain, that populist:

"Cain, a radio host in Atlanta, Georgia for three years, blasted the proposal to save teachers’ jobs during his radio show on Aug. 11, 2010. The former Godfather’s Pizza CEO mocked those who “[d]idn’t want to lay off teeeeachers” and called the move a “$26 billion bailout of teeeeachers.”

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/10/14/344332/cain-mocks-pelosi-teachers/

Why do right wingers mock teachers so much?

Because they have become union ****es and part of the problem rather than the solution.

Same reason Dems profess their love for them (as long as they toe the line)

"Union ****es"? Isn't that a bit of a hyperbolic accusation? And not only that, but to despise teachers due to a mutually beneficial association -- unions -- is a bit unfair, especially when conservatives are supposed to be "individualists." But I guess that's a bit of a myth, ain't it?

"Personal liberty! Freedom! Oh, except for you union ****es!"

Democrats support unions because many of them are pro-worker -- unlike Cain, and I guess you as well.

BTW, maybe Texas needs more teachers' unions, considering its dismal educational ranking. Yep, I am going to frequently harp on that point, just for you! :-P

Dismal as in our students outscore most of the US? ...perhaps you are confused by rating bs rather than actual student test scores? (rating bs influenced by union ****es I might add)

Harp all ya want,you will be wrong ,just as ya were on us not being a donor state.:pfft:

If Union members don't want the flack they need to be better advocates for real solutions,rather than adding to the problems

Herman Cain’s 9-9-9 economic plan gets lukewarm reviews from conservatives — and a Cain consultant

By Aaron Blake, Published: October 12

Herman Cain’s opponents in the presidential campaign aren’t the only ones who aren’t on board with his 9-9-9 plan for the economy.

So do many major conservative groups and even — wait for it — one of Cain’s own consultants.

The plan, which would overhaul the tax code with a 9 percent sales tax, a 9 percent income tax, and a 9 percent corporate tax, was the most touched-upon subject at Tuesday night’s Washington Post-Bloomberg News debate.

And Cain’s opponents — from Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann to former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney to former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum — sought to invalidate it.

“When you take the 9-9-9 plan and you turn it upside down, I think the devil is in the details,” Bachmann said Tuesday. (6-6-6. Get it?)

But Bachmann and her cohorts aren’t the first to raise major concerns about a plan which, on the surface at least, is a great political sell.

Conservative groups from the tea party-aligned FreedomWorks to the libertarian-leaning Cato Institute to Grover Norquist’s Americans for Tax Reform have already begun raising questions about the plan, as has the conservative Wall Street Journal editorial board. And one of Cain’s consultants said today that the plan is more of a grand idea than a practicable economic policy.

“You’re trying to go to a system that taxes income once and only once and quits double-taxing savings,” paid Cain consultant Gary Robbins told Politico. “That’s something that can really juice the economy; it’s probably worth 15 percent in growth. … The problem with the big-bang changes like that — the flat tax or the fair tax — is that they are so alien to the current system that it would be a great big shock.”

And Robbins has company.

An ATR official told The Fix that his group doesn’t outright oppose the idea but has “strong reservations” — particularly about a Value Added Tax that they think is too easy to raise.

“We are very, very opposed to that, so we would be very uncomfortable with transitioning business taxes over to a VAT,” said ATR tax policy director Ryan Ellis. “It’s pretty easy to raise that rate of the VAT when you’re in a budget crunch.”

Likewise, FreedomWorks legislative counsel Dean Clancy wrote a blog post last week hitting the plan for its practicality — or lack thereof. Clancy noted that Cain wants to eliminate the income tax too, which Clancy argues would require a 25 percent sales tax to maintain current revenue levels.

Clancy also contends that the sales tax represents the dreaded value-added tax, which many conservatives argue is the worst tax of all.

“It’s the most insidious of all taxes, because it is built into the price of everything and consumers can’t see how much of the price is due to the tax,” Clancy writes.

Asked if Clancy’s position was the official position of the tea party-aligned group, FreedomWorks spokeswoman Jackie Bodnar said, “I think it would be fair to say that’s the consensus around here.”

Added Cato tax policy director studies director Chris Edwards, in an interview with Bloomberg: “The business base would be much broader because businesses don’t get a wage deduction, but then it would be narrower because they get to deduct dividends paid to shareholders,” Edwards said. “That’s a significantly different base.”

Likewise, some conservative bloggers, including RedState.com’s Ben Howe, the Daily Caller’s Matt Lewis and Townhall.com’s Guy Benson, have said the plan is a non-starter.

“Cain is correct in arguing that fixing our tax system will require fundamental reform,” Lewis writes. “His mistake is in proposing — as Bachmann said — to ‘give Congress another pipeline for revenue.’”

Added Benson: “If you don’t exempt basic staples, the sales tax could amount to a major tax hike on the working poor and middle class -- an obviously problematic outcome.”

Not everyone has been so critical, of course. The fiscally-conservative Club for Growth earlier this year gave Cain generally positive marks for his economic rhetoric, while stressing that it was based only on his words and not on a public record.

The review came out before Cain launched his 9-9-9 plan, though. Club spokesman Barney Keller said the group was reserving judgment on the plan, while praising its ingenuity.

“His 9-9-9 plan is bold, intriguing and appears strongly pro-growth,” Keller said. “We look forward to reviewing it in more detail in the future.”

Now, it’s important to note that these groups and people won’t necessarily turn your average voter off from Cain. That’s because most voters don’t dig far enough into the details of Cain’s plan to read these reviews. (See our piece this morning on the political savvy behind 9-9-9.)

But if a consensus grows among top conservative thinkers that Cain’s plan is not a serious one or that it could lead to trouble down the road -- most likely through that sales tax — it could cause problems for the Republican contender.

Right now, Cain is on the cusp of being considered a legitimate top tier candidate, and if his economic plan isn’t seen as the work of a serious candidate, he may not get the time of day with important donors, activists and opinion-makers.

Cain has already hamstrung himself in that regard by refusing to release his list of economic advisers (he names one: Rich Lowrie). That leads to the perception that the the former chairman of the board of directors of the Kansas City Federal Reserve doesn’t have smart people in his inner circle.

In the end, his plan will be evaluated on its merits; and right now, it’s not getting sterling reviews.

Dismal as in our students outscore most of the US?

I'm genuinely curious to see the numbers for this. I've never bothered to check but from listening/reading, it's always projected that Texas produces well below average SAT scores and has dismal graduation rates.

How do Texas public school students grade out?

When you take the 9-9-9 plan and you turn it upside down, I think the devil is in the details; Bachmann said Tuesday. (6-6-6. Get it?)

The very fact that a presidential candidate in 2011 thinks this is actually relevant is a pretty sad statement.

~Bang

Ya, Herman Cain, that populist:

"Cain, a radio host in Atlanta, Georgia for three years, blasted the proposal to save teachers’ jobs during his radio show on Aug. 11, 2010. The former Godfather’s Pizza CEO mocked those who “[d]idn’t want to lay off teeeeachers” and called the move a “$26 billion bailout of teeeeachers.”

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/10/14/344332/cain-mocks-pelosi-teachers/

Why do right wingers mock teachers so much?

Because what many right wing upper 1% don't want, more than anything else, is a country of citizens capable of critical thinking. It screws up there vision for themselves and their friends when people won't stand for ****tier jobs that don't increase salary with cost of living among benefits being cut and so on.

And lol at tax cuts for the rich ever doing anything to help create jobs. Trickle down my ass crack...

There is and has been an anti-intellectual movement going on in the Republican party for years.

---------- Post added October-14th-2011 at 05:38 PM ----------

The very fact that a presidential candidate in 2011 thinks this is actually relevant is a pretty sad statement.

~Bang

I've always believed that when politicans make statements regarding religion (Christianity especially, well only actually) they never actually believe what they are saying and they only do it because they think it will gain votes.

Archived