Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please tell me who's in the wrong?

DaRock

Me and my lady are having this argument and I need some insight on this as we are at a crossroad of me not thinking I'm wrong and her not thinking she's wrong although believe me, this is the petty argument of the century. We are currently away from each other for the past few months for education and employment, so the long distance is driving us insane...

:saber:

Situation: She just bought a new car and when you get into the car without putting your seat belt on it beeps say 8 times or until you put your seat belt on. If you don't put your seat belt on, it waits a minute or so and then does the 8 times beeping again. Since she has bought the car a few months ago and we are away from each other, we are spending a lot of time on the phone and when that beeping comes on, I have a bluetooth in and I told her it is too loud and it hurts my ears.

Her knowing that it hurts my ears, she would refuse to put her seat belt on, even going to the point of me saying, if you don't put it on, I'm hanging up and I would, in the end, just hang up.

So now, yesterday, she got into her car, it beeped, I said "okay, that's loud, turn it off" and she began to say it wasn't loud, "I don't understand how it's loud", etc. all over again, so I got pissed. She then told me that she had lowered the volume on the beeping sound, so I said I appreciate that, but it still is loud and hurts my ears, so we got into it for a few minutes of her telling me how she can't understand how it hurts my ears and that it doesn't hurt my ears when I'm telling her it does.

So THEN, I say, "well, put your seat belt on" and she says my seat belt is on and hangs up on me. I called her back and say why the H did you hang up on me and she says because you didn't hear the beep and you assume I didn't have my seat belt on. I said, well with your car, it waits a minute or so, then beeps again, so I thought it was in that waiting period and also, from all the times in the past, I said, I thought you just didn't care again and just were gonna let it keep beeping.

She then, she said I was just trying to push her buttons when I said "put your seat belt on" and called me a liar for not hearing the beep, but telling her to put on her seat belt, which I never told her I heard the beep when I said "put on your seat belt", I told her that I heard it at first and I figured she wasn't gonna put her seat belt on and I thought it was int he waiting period and was gonna beep again. She is now ignoring my calls, texts, messages, etc. and I am wondering if I am in the wrong here, which I don't think I am.

Am I missing something here? Did she misinterpret "Put your seatbelt on" for something else? Am I wrong for assuming that she wouldn't have her seat belt on like in the past? Am I a liar? Is this just long distance miscommunication? I've explained my side of the story several times to her, but she's not understanding that I didn't hear a beep at the moment I said "Put you seat belt on", but I just thought the beeps were coming soon. I keep trying to explain this to her, but she just says, "will you stop", like my reasoning means nothing and isn't correct.

Like said, this is the petty argument of the century, but she is making me think I did something wrong here and I will take responsibility if I did, but I just don't think I did. So, I am looking for some responses from men and women to try and help me sort this BS out in my head. So, be happy you and your loved one don't have arguments like these and help me out? There should be a place that couples can go, besides $couples counseling$ to just post what happened and get responses as to who's right and who's wrong, haha.

Sorry, but lol at your argument. Why is she not wearing her seatbelt tho???

For serious, having been in a long distance relationship for nearly a year, I know that it's really easy to argue about really stupid **** when you're stressed because you can't just hang out with each other. Don't take the stress of not being able to see each other out on each other. That's what it sounds like is happening, in this case in the form of arguing about a seat belt notification. My advice is one of you just needs to be the bigger person and apologize for the confusion and move on. If you apologize and she doesn't accept that, then figure out what she's really mad about.

I have a couple of thoughts about this situation:

1) Why isn't she wearing her seatbelt anyway? Accidents happen and too many bad things happen to humans when they become flying missles inside a chaotic car, even to the point of leaving the vehicle through points of least resistance like glass. Point out that you love her and want her to be safe and wearing a seatbelt keeps us safer. There are reams of evidence to this point.

2) The beep over the bluetooth. Obviously she can't hear the sounds over a bluetooth because she is the one in the car and she probably has gotten used to the sound and ignores it/doesn't really hear it. When you are together again, give her the bluetooth, get in the car and let her hear the beeping. This demostration will say more than words could ever say. The timeline for the demostration will depend upon when you get together.

3) Before you can perform the demonstration, in your next conversation sans car interaction, tell her that you will wait the minute to see if the beeping starts and if it does, then you will end the conversation. Tell her you are not being punitive, but until you can directly demonstrate the beeping, you have no choice but to respect your hearing and understand if you hang up if you hear it after an appropriate period of time. Then you must have the patience to not make comments until you experience the beeping, which if it happens you say "Bye, babe, talk to you after you get out of the car."

4) You can research how the beeping can be disconnected and then share this info with her. If she insists on driving around without seatbelts, then she should take care of the beeping as you have told her how it hurts your hearing.

5) Stop talking with her when she's in the car, period. Extreme problem solving but also the simpliest. But it will play havoc with your communication time. I get this because I talk on the phone when I'm in the car too.

6) I hope you are both using handsfree in the car.

And last but not certainly least, she is behaving in a very passive agressive way and is not listening to you about this problem. And though this problem seems petty, it is an indicator of how she will also address big problems. For me, her behavior is a big old red flag. You don't say for how long this long distance period of time will last, so I think that some type of relationship counseling on how to best communicate may be helpful to your overall relationship. I think she is being rude and not considerate of your expressed hearing experience. And she's not handling this in a mature matter. She can totally take care of this and refuses to acknowledge that it is a problem that she can solve and that you just have to get over it.

maybe call her when she's not going to be driving?

This.

A couple more things. She can't turn the volume of the beeping down, that's a lie. If she gets into an accident while driving and talking to you on the phone without wearing her seat belt, she could die. Air bags are meant to use with seat belts, serious injury can result if an air bag goes off and the passenger isn't wearing a seat belt. I'm sure that the beeping, if not painful is at the very least annoying as hell.

She's clearly in the wrong, as women are most of the time. The right thing to do though, would be to apologize and ask if she'll call you back when she's not driving.

Get an airhorn.

Blast it in the phone and tell her to hang on, your hot pocket is done.

Then get some crackers and chew them loudly in the phone, and if she asks what it is, tell her it must be the wind.

Then go test the smoke detector right by the phone, and tell her you bought a canary.

You could pay someone to t-bone her car, and thereby teaching her the valuable lesson of seat belts.

I could go on with suggestions all day.

~Bang

Get an airhorn.

Blast it in the phone and tell her to hang on, your hot pocket is done.

Then get some crackers and chew them loudly in the phone, and if she asks what it is, tell her it must be the wind.

Then go test the smoke detector right by the phone, and tell her you bought a canary.

You could pay someone to t-bone her car, and thereby teaching her the valuable lesson of seat belts.

I could go on with suggestions all day.

~Bang

If you want to break up with her, just keep on the point that she should wear her seatbelt.

Otherwise yeah, only talk to her when she isn't driving.

The beeping doesn't matter, the fact she isn't wearing her seat belt does, so I'd have to say you're both wrong. Her for not wearing her seat belt and you for caring more about the beeping in your ears than what those beeps are telling you.

Next you'll tell us you were arguing about her not wearing a motorcycle helmet because the wind noise is annoyingly blasted through your blue tooth.

And last but not certainly least, she is behaving in a very passive agressive way and is not listening to you about this problem. And though this problem seems petty, it is an indicator of how she will also address big problems. For me, her behavior is a big old red flag. You don't say for how long this long distance period of time will last, so I think that some type of relationship counseling on how to best communicate may be helpful to your overall relationship. I think she is being rude and not considerate of your expressed hearing experience. And she's not handling this in a mature matter. She can totally take care of this and refuses to acknowledge that it is a problem that she can solve and that you just have to get over it.

I agree with this... 110%.

Not saying that this situation warrants a break up or anything like that BUT not acknowledging something that bothers you and that you have brought up repeatedly is definitely a red flag.

Honestly, dump her. Anyone who drives in a car without a seat belt is an idiot. Sorry. The rest of the argument doesn't matter. Who gives a **** about the beeping and your ears? What you should care about is that she could easily die in a traffic accident. The fact that she drives constantly without her belt is enough for me.

Honestly, dump her. Anyone who drives in a car without a seat belt is an idiot. Sorry. The rest of the argument doesn't matter. Who gives a **** about the beeping and your ears? What you should care about is that she could easily die in a traffic accident. The fact that she drives constantly without her belt is enough for me.

+1. People that don't wear their seatbelts tick me off because it isn't even mildly inconvenient and it can save your life. The arguments against it are so dumb too. Tell her to start wearing her seatbelt or you're done.

LOL Definitely one of the more pettier arguments I've ever heard. However, and don't take offense to this, I think your wife's being a *****. She should be wearing the seat belt in the first place, then you wouldn't even be having this stupid argument. Not only is she not wearing it, she won't even put it on in the time you guys are talking? And then has the gall to tell you that it's not hurting YOUR ears. Unreal.

---------- Post added October-8th-2011 at 01:48 PM ----------

Point in your favor: She should be buckled up anyways, especially if she is on the phone.

Point in her favor: A car beeping HURTS YOUR EARS?!?!?!?! :wtf:

Final judgement: Need to know how hot she is on the classic 1-10 scale before I can make a ruling.

I'm not sure if the beeping actually hurts his ears or not. I'm thinking it could just be that's it's annoying as hell. I have a friend that calls me, and he's forever opening up a bag of chips, or drinking a soda when we're talking. Or worse, chewing gum. Annoying as hell. Few things in life annoy me more than the sound of someone smacking. And every time he does it now, I simply tell him I have to run. And if I'm the other poster, I simply wouldn't talk to his wife while she's driving.

Thats how girls are. They wanna fight over the stupidest things. And then when u get pissed and talk back to them they get emotional and start crying. Then u gotta make them feel better.

You should try one trick on do on my gf when she starts acting up. dont say anything just be silent or quiet and answer questions like yes or no. then they feel ur ignoring them and not giving em enough attention. which gets them to act nicer and more lovey dovey towards you.

+1. People that don't wear their seatbelts tick me off because it isn't even mildly inconvenient and it can save your life. The arguments against it are so dumb too. Tell her to start wearing her seatbelt or you're done.

They are definitely inconvenient. I wear it. But I hate how it wrinkles up my shirts.

Archived