Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '11-'12 Thread [Dennis Wideman to Calgary for a 5th etc.]

Sticksboi05

I'll lean heavy on the "unconfirmed" side of that news. Seems awfully high for a player like Semin. Good for him if he gets it though!
If Radulov can get 4 years at $9.2M/year, I have no doubt Semin would be offered a 3 year/$30M contract. Sergei Federov is running CSKA.

If Semin goes to the KHL, I'm not sure there is anyone out there that can provide and offensive boost for us.

I REALLY REALLY wanted Bobby Ryan. Since that's probably not going to happen, and I don't want Nash and his contract, I'm warming to the Idea that we can find out second line scoring in house. Two things: we played Hunter Hockey last year. It was a complete overhaul for this team and everyone's stats took a hit. OV's Semin's Mojo Knuble Laich. In a more offensive scheme, everyone's numbers should increase. 2.) We have Centers. Backstrom missed a ton of time and we traded for Ribeiro. Pencil him in for 20 gs and around 50 assists. His teammates in Dallas raved about his passing. Mojo could score 25+ with Ribeiro.

---------- Post added July-9th-2012 at 04:50 PM ----------

Filip Forsberg, who reminds a lot of Corey Perry is a year away as well.

I think a bunch of people are underestimating the Backstrom affect. We played half the season without him last year, and it showed. If he is healthy from the start next year, he easily adds 7 Ws. Add in consistent goaltending from Holtby all year, and we coast to the div title again.

Now, if Oates can get the PP rolling and turn the Caps into an LA-lite, we can be looking at thge dominant team in the east.

Carlson-Alzner

Green-Hamrlik

Orlov-Schultz/Erskine/Kundratek/Hillen/Schilling

That is an above average defensive corps. They aren't the biggest or most physical group, but they can be effective. If Mike Green can come anywhere close to his 2009 season, he will be a Norris candidate again (the Norris winner this year basically had Greens 2009 season).

Ovie-Backstom-Brouwer

Laich-Ribeiro-MoJo

Chimera-Perreault-Hendricks

Crabb-Sjogren/Beagle-Ward

That looks like a decent lineup. I still think we need a scoring wing to replace MoJo. But the bottom 6 look to be pretty decent (assuming Sjogren is ready to center the 4th line). You can flop Laich and Chimera, or even have him center the third line. I really wouldn't mind seeing Semin back if he is willing to come in around $5M/year ballpark. But it has to be more than a 1 year deal, preferably 2 with a team option. I don't think he is really getting that much interest on the open market. Hate him all you want, he is a consistent scoring threat who could thrive in Oates system.

Sadly, I think the team you have laid out is pretty close to what we are going to see on the ice.

That team will compete for the Division title, but little else. Brouwer is nowhere near what a first line wing should be, and Laich is a nice player, but nowhere NEAR the offensive player that Semin is.

Sorry, but that team looks like a sure-fire out in first round (second if things break well), but nothing even close to a Cup contender.

I'm liking our defense and goaltending but I shudder to think where the offense will come from outside the top line. I like Mojo but I think he's a third liner at best at this point. We need someone to replace Semin for secondary scoring.

To me it's all about pairings. Dale showed us that he knew how to pair players, but Bruce had a more offensive scheme. I think if you get guys with similar games together, they'll play well.

I'd much rather put Laich on the top line with Ovie and Nicky.

I'd put Brouwer, Riberio, and Chimera on the second line.

Your top line is more finesse and your second line is more blue collar. JMT.

We just signed Wojtek Wolski...he's a sniper I'm pretty sure lol. I actually used him as my second line winger in NHL 12 last year lol

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 04:26 PM ----------

He's 26 and scored 40 points last year (15 goal) with FLA. He's bounced around from places like NYR. PHX, and Colorado. I think I heard that he was like Semin in that he has a ****load of potential but hasn't put it all together. It's a 1 year deal for $600,000 so it's low risk, high reward

Interesting signing. He's got the tools to be successful, but he hasn't produced the past few years on a couple different teams. He's still young, so it's not a matter of diminishing ability from aging. At 1 year $600,000, though, there's no way we can lose on this signing. If he's a success then wonderful. If he flops... well he's hardly crippling our cap this year and we can just not sign him next year.

I'd rather have Semin back, but at least it's something.

Looking in, and looks like we've got yet another shootout ace. With Hendricks, Ribeiro, and Wolski, I have a hard time seeing us lose many shootouts.

Looking in, and looks like we've got yet another shootout ace. With Hendricks, Ribeiro, and Wolski, I have a hard time seeing us lose many shootouts.
One thing is for sure, with Ribeiro, Wolski and Hendricks we will not lose a single shootout this year. Take that to the bank.

It's like Dejavu all over again. Jinx buy him a Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerPacker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MonkFan8 View Post

One thing is for sure, with Ribeiro, Wolski and Hendricks we will not lose a single shootout this year. Take that to the bank.

It's like Dejavu all over again. Jinx buy him a Coke.

If we could only convince the league to have shoot-outs in the playoffs.

Semin backstage rider...

Alexander Semin, NHL All Star and possessor of excellent hockey skills, remains unsigned and the reasons why have been vexing and mysterious. Until today.

Lighthouse Hockey has obtained perhaps the single biggest reason why Semin has yet to find a new home - a lengthy backstage rider contract stipulating various outlandish demands the winger is making on any team that dares try to retain his services.

Backstage rider contracts are typically issued by rock bands and other touring acts to promoters as a "wish list" to detail stage design elements, private spaces and anything else the performer might want no matter how insignificant. It is believed that no NHL player has ever formally submitted a complete rider document to a team before signing a free agent contract.

Semin's orders range from the size of his private dressing room to amenities to specific brands and amounts of drinks and snacks to be provided to him and his guests. All the provisions are expected to be followed strictly and religiously. While this may seem like an example of spoiled athlete excess, some hockey insiders believe that many of the more detailed requests may in fact be traps to make sure general managers had actually read the entire 143 page document.

Excerpts from the rider are after the jump. Both Semin and his agent Mark Gandler refused to comment on the validity of the document. Which, to us, means it must be true.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012/7/11/3150776/alexander-semin-nhl-free-agent-backstage-rider

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 04:56 PM ----------

Funny comment to the story I posted about Semin...

ESPN Host: "Coming up a leak of Sidney Crosby's back stage demands hits the - "

EPSN Producer: “Psst, it’s actually Alexander Semin’s backstage rider.”

H: “Who?”

P: “Alexander Semin.”

H: “Who in the hell is Alexander Semin.”

P: “He’s a hockey player.”

H: “I thought Sidney Crosby was the hockey player.”

P: “Well, he’s also a hockey player, yes.”

H: “You mean there’s more than one?”

P: “Yes, there’s actually quite a few….”

H: “This is like that whole David Beckham thing all over. Deja Vu to you too, America.”

:ols: :ols:

Sources: NHL makes first CBA offer

Updated: July 14, 2012, 1:57 PM ET

ESPN.com news services

As the NHL's labor negotiations begin to take shape, the league has made its first collective bargaining offer to the Players' Association, one that reportedly includes massive changes to the league's current CBA, league and union sources confirmed to ESPN.com's Scott Burnside.

More From ESPN.com

No alarms and no surprises. The NHL's first CBA offer was a stiff one, yes, but that doesn't mean it was unexpected, writes Scott Burnside. Story

According to multiple media outlets, the offer asked the union to take a 19-percent reduction in total hockey-related revenues, from their current 57 percent to 46 percent. The league's offer also limited contract lengths to five years, while forcing players to accrue 10 seasons -- regardless of age -- before becoming an unrestricted free agent, the reports said.

Source: ESPN

Full Article Click Here:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8166038/nhl-first-cba-offer-nhlpa-reportedly-features-big-givebacks

Here we go again (however, I do agree with the contract term limits) :doh::doh::doh::doh:

Instead of limiting contract lengths, just make it so a player's salary cannot decrease from the previous season (within a contract). I mean, look at what we did with Ovechkin and Backstrom. We didn't do any of that front-loading bull****, but rather gave them lengthy contracts with consistent pay throughout.

---------- Post added July-14th-2012 at 03:28 PM ----------

GMGM on Tom Wilson: "He is what we were looking for when we drafted him. He's a big strong kid that really competes and, uh--boy the first 3-4 shifts in the opening scrimmage earlier in the week--I was worried if he did that all week we'd only have two or three players left on the ice."

Sounds intimidating.

Check this out... very detailed article about Semin...

Very long and detailed.

http://www.anguscertified.com/alexander-semin-and-ignoring-the-10-percent/

Yeah, that is why I was hoping they would resign him for 3 years, at like $4.5m/year. There is NO reason that Semin shouldn't be back this year. And I would even propose going back to the SOB line full time. It allows Ovie to have much more room tp operate, as the opposing team can't simply target him. If they do, Semin scores 40. Backy could lead the league in assists, and we could have a dominant top line.

The Washington Capitals have re-signed defenseman Mike Green to a three-year, $18.25 million contract extension, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. Green will earn $6 million in 2012-13 and 2013-14 and $6.25 million in 2014-15.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637986

ugh, that's steep...but we really didn't have any other options....Just hope he doesn't end up like Tom Poti...

Glad Green is going to be back. I'm not worried about his two "down" seasons - other than his durability issues. Everyone on the team had declining stats due to the system turmoil we had. Hopefully we'll get some stability and points production (as well as good health) out of what Oates wants to run. If healthy, I don't see why Green can't get more than 50 points per year from here on out. He's that good and I expect him to bounce back in a big way. Good signing and I'm not even mad about the money. Cap is going up so this was market value.

I really don't get the hate for Green. He has a NHL career +/- of +62, with 82 goals, 169 assists, for 251 points over 6 full season (and a callup). 13G, 28A, 41PT averages for D is VERY good. If he has that average over the next 3 years, we made out.

Now, GMGM needs to resign Semin.

Archived