Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '11-'12 Thread [Dennis Wideman to Calgary for a 5th etc.]

Sticksboi05

He passed away yesterday in his sleep. Really. They are waiting for an autopsy. You can see the sticky thread at the top. 27 years old.

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 10:35 AM ----------

Good. I hated the defensive Hunter Hockey. We're a skilled team with gritty forwards. We need to live and die with the up-tempo style. We have good and fast skaters. We shouldn't have been on our heels.

Too be honest I am not sure how we are skilled that much more, we lose Semin and Wideman (thank god, but we was skilled offensively) . Yeah we got Ribeiro, but hes no Semin. We have to make a move IMO.

Too be honest I am not sure how we are skilled that much more, we lose Semin and Wideman, Yeah we got Ribeiro, but hes no Semin. We have to make a move IMO.

Semin is not necessarily lost. His agent said he was as good as gone, but that was news to Semin. Wideman... well I'm sure we'll manage. With Green healthy and Orlov getting older and Carlson remembering how to play hockey in the playoffs, I think we've got a solid blue-line with a few call-up options available to us.

We do need to sign a 2nd line winger, though, be it Semin or someone else, to give Ribeiro someone to play with. Maybe Stanislav Galiev will be able to come up this year and establish himself as that guy?

Semin is not necessarily lost. His agent said he was as good as gone, but that was news to Semin. Wideman... well I'm sure we'll manage. With Green healthy and Orlov getting older and Carlson remembering how to play hockey in the playoffs, I think we've got a solid blue-line with a few call-up options available to us.

We do need to sign a 2nd line winger, though, be it Semin or someone else, to give Ribeiro someone to play with. Maybe Stanislav Galiev will be able to come up this year and establish himself as that guy?

Our second liner is coming from free agency, not out of the blue being asked to score 30 goals in the NHL.

Too be honest I am not sure how we are skilled that much more, we lose Semin and Wideman (thank god, but we was skilled offensively) . Yeah we got Ribeiro, but hes no Semin. We have to make a move IMO.

actually he scored more points than Semin last year...and Semin only scored 3 more goals than him. Also, he's a playmaking center while Semin is a sniper.

As far as 2 line wingers go...Shane Doan and Lee Stempiak are possible targets.

actually he scored more points than Semin last year...and Semin only scored 3 more goals than him. Also, he's a playmaking center while Semin is a sniper.

a lot of that has to do with how we as a team played last year, though, I'd say. Our entire team had a huge down-year in scoring. Just a couple years back we had, what, 7 20-goal scorers and then this year we were lucky to have 3?

Depends on what your criteria is for skill. Ribeiro has more assists than Semin. Semin is more of a goal scorer. We'll have to replace his goals. And I think Orlov is just as skilled offensively as Wideman with better defense.

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 11:50 AM ----------

I'd take Doan.

Depends on what your criteria is for skill. Ribeiro has more assists than Semin. Semin is more of a goal scorer. We'll have to replace his goals. And I think Orlov is just as skilled offensively as Wideman with better defense.

I wouldn't put Orlov on Wideman's offensive level just yet, but he does have a very enticing upside. Wideman only had 11 goals, but he led the team in assists.

As for Ribeiro v. Semin, I think Semin's ability to set people up for goals is a bit underrated. Backstrom obviously led the team in assists per game by a wide margin (.71), but Semin was tied for number 2 at .43, and he was number 2 in overall assists at 33. If you go a couple years back to when we actually had an offense, Semin had 44 assists at a rate of .60 assists per game

I wouldn't put Orlov on Wideman's offensive level just yet, but he does have a very enticing upside. Wideman only had 11 goals, but he led the team in assists.

As for Ribeiro v. Semin, I think Semin's ability to set people up for goals is a bit underrated. Backstrom obviously led the team in assists per game by a wide margin (.71), but Semin was tied for number 2 at .43, and he was number 2 in overall assists at 33. If you go a couple years back to when we actually had an offense, Semin had 44 assists at a rate of .60 assists per game

Pretty good for a winger, yes. But we always looked for him to score first, much like Ovie. Riberio being a center will give him more opportunities to be a "playmaker." And yes, Orlov has a ways to go, but I liked what I saw in his limited time. He'll have a full training camp and season to get to know the rest of the NHL.

Pretty good for a winger, yes. But we always looked for him to score first, much like Ovie. Riberio being a center will give him more opportunities to be a "playmaker." And yes, Orlov has a ways to go, but I liked what I saw in his limited time. He'll have a full training camp and season to get to know the rest of the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put Ribeiro down. I'm ecstatic that we got him as I was hoping we'd be able to land him at the trade deadline. I just think people tend to forget what Semin brings to the table aside from goals, which includes a high number of assists AND he's the perennial team leader in takeaways.

Um...no. He looked kinda amazing in the Philly series even though they were killed. He is still the best player in the league, I'm sorry guys. Just sit and watch his most recent games and you'll see him do **** that is crazy. (and yes, I still think he's a *****)

I'm with you, I still think he's the best player in the league when he's healthy.

I'm really hoping we take a run at Parise now that Oates is on board. It would be great to replace unpredictable high-end talent (Semin) with more consistent high-end talent (Parise).

If we can lock Parise up for a long term deal I say do it, damn the costs.

He's 27 and Doan is 35. Not that hockey players are normal or anything but I'll take 27>35.

Oh yeah, just adding a 27 year old goal scorer to the mix would make us one of the favorites next year. PokePacker said we could have around 13 million under the cap after re-signing most of our guys. Hell, we've been paying Semin 7 million a year the last few years.

Um...no. He looked kinda amazing in the Philly series even though they were killed. He is still the best player in the league, I'm sorry guys. Just sit and watch his most recent games and you'll see him do **** that is crazy. (and yes, I still think he's a *****)

He played in that series?

It's like he's been injured the last 2 years, I didn't notice :ols:

Archived