Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '11-'12 Thread [Dennis Wideman to Calgary for a 5th etc.]

Sticksboi05

Oh yeah, just adding a 27 year old goal scorer to the mix would make us one of the favorites next year. PokePacker said we could have around 13 million under the cap after re-signing most of our guys. Hell, we've been paying Semin 7 million a year the last few years.

Granted, that's $13 mil for this year. Next year we've got a bunch more players to re-sign. Alzner will be in line for a pay raise, as well Holtby and Neuvirth. Ribeiro's contract will be up, so we may have to bump his salary a bit. Matt Hendricks will probably get a little pay-bump, as will Marcus Johansson. I may have to play with salaries a bit to see what we'll be capable of doing next year.

This is good, because at least both sides are talking. 21 million under the cap. http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=30

Granted, that's $13 mil for this year. Next year we've got a bunch more players to re-sign. Alzner will be in line for a pay raise, as well Holtby and Neuvirth. Ribeiro's contract will be up, so we may have to bump his salary a bit. Matt Hendricks will probably get a little pay-bump, as will Marcus Johansson. I may have to play with salaries a bit to see what we'll be capable of doing next year.

Tom Poti and Roman Hamrik will be off the books, that 6.5 million in our pockets! =)

This is good, because at least both sides are talking. 21 million under the cap. http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=30

Tom Poti and Roman Hamrik will be off the books, that 6.5 million in our pockets! =)

Poti's already off our books for all my calculations as he's LTIR. Hamrilik coming off the books will free up some money, but he also needs to be replaced at the blue line. The top candidates for that are probably Cameron Schilling,Thomas Kundratek, or Jordan Henry (if we actually sign him; we may have acquired him only because the Flames were at their contract limit when trading for Wideman).

Another UFA coming off our books will be John Erskine, and depending on how Oates treats him, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't re-up next year after he got so little playing time last year.

I took a lot of stabs in the dark with people's up-coming salaries, and I came up with a number of about $7 million in cap space next season with a roster size of 20 (meaning there's still 3 spots to fill). Stanislav Galiev could very well take up one of those spots, putting our cap space to about $6.4 million.

the salaries I estimated for players (which could be WAY off, I'll gladly accept feedback from others who have opinions on salary):

Mike Ribeiro (UFA): $6 million

Mike Green (RFA): $5 million

Troy Brouwer (UFA): $3 million

Karl Alzner (RFA): $3 million

John Carlson (RFA): $2.5 million

Marcus Johansson (RFA): $2.5 million

John Erskine (UFA): $2.5 million

Michal Neuvirth (RFA): $2 million

Braden Holtby (RFA): $2 million

Matthieu Perreault (RFA): $1.2 million

Matt Hendricks (UFA): $1.2 million

Jay Beagle (RFA): $1.2 million

I'm sure I've given a number more than their share, but I'm taking the conservative approach to see what kind of money we should be looking to spend on a free agent winger this year so that we still can sign our guys next year, and it looks to be in the range of $6 million. Cut a few corners in costs and we can make it up to around $7.5 million, I think. Say goodbye to an UFA or so and we can get into the double-digits. I also haven't taken into account the growth of the salary cap, which will probably pad us a couple million as well.

Man, I haven't posted in this thread in ages.

Here's my thoughts on the current state of the Caps...

Adam Oates. I'm cautiously optimistic about him. I hope that he can do for the offense what Dale Hunter did for the defense. I've stated before, I want this team to go back to its offensively dominant roots. I think that Oates did a good job as an assistant in turning Kovalchuk's game around and seems to have been well liked by the team in NJ. He was only an assistant though, he didn't have to make the tough decisions that a HC has to make. He could be the players buddy in NJ. He'll need to establish a harder line here in Washington.

Mike Ruberio. Love the trade. We gave up nothing and got a definite 2C. This is something that we've needed for the better part of 3 seasons. We are finally solid down the middle. Ruberio is such a good pick up that you could potentially pair him with Ovechkin as well. I'm definitely excited about this pick up.

Alexander Semin. If he's gone, fine. We need a bonafide second pure goal scorer. If we give up Semin but don't pick up an equal for the second line, we're toast. You can't win with one scoring line. Unfortunately, FA depth doesn't go much past Parise and I've heard that he wants the league max. I'd take Semin at 6M if Parise wants 10M. Somebody is going to overpay for that guy, if it's the Caps then fine. We just need to recognize that picking up Ruberio was a mistake if we don't have somebody for him to feed the puck to.

Dennis Wideman. Glad he's gone. We all should be. Defensive liability with a marginal offensive upside. He as a serviceable PP point man but the PP is less and less important. They just don't call penalties any more. No point in keeping a defenseman who's only upside is on the PP if you don't get enough PP time to make it worth it.

Like the draft. It'll be a cool feeling when we get Forsberg and Kuznetsov on the ice at the same time. Unfortunately there isn't even a chance of that until the 2013-14 season. Not too sure about the goon that we drafted at 16. Seems like a wasted pick to me.

So that's that. I'm sure I have other opinions floating in my head right now but I'll stop for now.

Like the draft. It'll be a cool feeling when we get Forsberg and Kuznetsov on the ice at the same time. Unfortunately there isn't even a chance of that until the 2013-14 season. Not too sure about the goon that we drafted at 16. Seems like a wasted pick to me.

Kuznetsov won't be over next year, I don't think, but hopefully the year after. As for Wilson, I think the only two knocks on him I've read are his skating (common complaint for big guys; takes them awhile to adjust to their size) and his release. If he can get those straightened out, he could me a nice, gritty power-forward for us down the line. Apparently we should also keep our eyes on 7th rounder Jaynen Rissling, as he's got a hockey pedigree, he's tough, and a lot of people had him projected in the second or third round a few months before the draft. I think the big knock on him is skating, but he's another one of them big-bodies (6'4", 223 lbs, if I recall correctly), so hopefully that's something we can get worked out.

---------- Post added June-30th-2012 at 10:03 PM ----------

Do they even have the cap room? Not familiar with cap space for NHL teams. If they have the room, go for it.

After re-signing our RFAs, I estimate we'll have about $13 million in cap space this year, but we could be a bit tighter next year with more guys to re-sign. Perhaps bringing in folks like Galiev and possibly Forsberg and/or Sjogren (is he back on our good side after we used him as a practice body during the playoffs?) can help keep the cap manageable.

All they really need is one move. Either resign Semin or pick up a player of his caliber to replace him. If neither happens, we're toast.

If the Caps miss out on Parise, I expect them to be in on the Bobby Ryan sweepstakes. Semin, as polarizing as he is, will leave a big void as far as scoring. There needs to be some sort of plan to not only replace him on the wing, but also get someone in here who can put the puck in the back of the net.

If the Caps miss out on Parise, I expect them to be in on the Bobby Ryan sweepstakes. Semin, as polarizing as he is, will leave a big void as far as scoring. There needs to be some sort of plan to not only replace him on the wing, but also get someone in here who can put the puck in the back of the net.

I don't expect the Caps to land Parise. Just don't think it's in the cards.

It would be monumentally stupid to finally land a good 2C and not have a quality goal scorer at 2LW or 2RW for to take advantage of this.

dont know much about him. will he help us?

He's been with the Maple Leafs. He doesn't have big time stats. 15,15, 26 are his pts for the last 3 season. 3,7,11 are his goals for the last 3 season. Other we just want some depth or we're making a major reach. He's 29 and been in the AHL most of his career.

Archived