Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '11-'12 Thread [Dennis Wideman to Calgary for a 5th etc.]

Sticksboi05

They aren't paying players like Joel Ward and Jeff Schultz $3 mil a year. Not to mention Tom Poti, who has played a whopping total of 91 games the last 3 years.
They're top 4 forwards account for $26.235M (Nash, Gaborik, Richards, Callahan). Our top 4 forwards account for $25.7M (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Ribeiro, Laich). The difference is in defense. Our top 3 D account for $12.3M (Green , Hamrlik, Schultz). They're top 3 D account for $8.6M (Staal, Girardi, McDonagh). Of course, they only have D under contract. They have to sign at least 2. Even with the Nash contract, they technically have more cap space than us. Of course, once Poti goes back on LTIR we free up $2.75M.

I thought Poti's contract was up this year? How many more GD years do we have to carry this guy? It's like Michael Nylander all over again.
Tjis will be the last year of Poti's contract. But unlike Nylander, Poti goes on LTIR so his salary doesn't count against the cap once the season starts.

Well, Nash to the Rangers just put them in the drivers seat. Screw the financial part of it, they get a great player, while we sit back with our thumb up our butt. The current core of players that we have has underacheived for 5 years. The future is now and I want a damn cup. Tired of competing. What are we, the Eagles? I've been through 10 years of playoff competing with the Caps in the 80s and late 90s. No cups equals a **** team. I don't want anymore southeast division titles, I don't want anymoe president's trophies, I just want a stanley cup. Just win it once and I don't care what happens after that. Just to say my team one it once before I die is good enough for me.

Change the dates and specific names, and this is exactly the same type of post I've written for the past 3-4 years.

The Caps FO just isn't specifically interested in winning a Cup as its primary focus. The proof (as they say) is in the pudding. Caps sit idly by while other teams just zoom past us. Just sad.

Change the dates and specific names, and this is exactly the same type of post I've written for the past 3-4 years.

The Caps FO just isn't specifically interested in winning a Cup as its primary focus. The proof (as they say) is in the pudding. Caps sit idly by while other teams just zoom past us. Just sad.

The team that you're talking about "zooming" past us was pushed to a game 7 by the Caps.

Nash is not going to put the Rags over the hump. Offseason isn't over yet. We've added depth and an EXCELLENT 2C. Still a long way to go before April. No need to panic just yet.

The team that you're talking about "zooming" past us was pushed to a game 7 by the Caps.

Nash is not going to put the Rags over the hump. Offseason isn't over yet. We've added depth and an EXCELLENT 2C. Still a long way to go before April. No need to panic just yet.

And that same team just added a 75+ point guy to keep from going to 7 games with teams like us. What have we done besides Robiero? Who's going to score besides Ovie and Backs? This Caps team looks almost like the days when the only scorers we had were Bondra and Oates.

^^^^^ LMAOOOOOOOO at the Flyers

I know, isn't it great. Big move by Nashville.

Deadspin has a good article on it. It has a little NSFW language in it...

http://deadspin.com/5928701/nashville-matches-shea-weber-offer-sheet-remains-viable-nhl-franchise

So what do the Flyers do in the meantime? They'll probably throw a bunch of money at P.K. Subban, but that won't end well. Either Montreal matches, or they don't because Philadelphia comically overpays him. Yup, sounds like summer in Philly.

---------- Post added July-24th-2012 at 04:23 PM ----------

Even though this is gonna CRIPPLE the Preds...the look on Flyers fans' faces is priceless...they were running tv spots about him already lol

It actually shouldn't cripple them cap-wise because they were so far under the floor and the contract is so spread out. They just need to make sure they have the actual cash.

It actually shouldn't cripple them cap-wise because they were so far under the floor and the contract is so spread out. They just need to make sure they have the actual cash.
Not only will this not cripple Nashville, but they still have to sign a couple more players to reach the salary floor! With the new Shae Weber cap hit of $7.857M/year, they only have $53,711,310 committed to player salary. The salary floor is $54.2M. And they only have 5 D-men under contract.

And that same team just added a 75+ point guy to keep from going to 7 games with teams like us. What have we done besides Robiero? Who's going to score besides Ovie and Backs? This Caps team looks almost like the days when the only scorers we had were Bondra and Oates.

1) Rick Nash and 75 points don't belong in the same sentence.

2) The addition of Ribeiro was HUGE. You're selling his acquisition short by saying "what else have we done?" Point being, the offseason is not over yet.

3) Low-risk/high-reward signing of Wolski....when motivated (and he should be), he'll be a boost to our top-6. ESPECIALLY playing w. MR.

4) Did I mention the offseason is not over yet?

Look, everyone knows that the absence of Semin leaves a huge hole in the lineup. Hopefully, Wolski can help soothe that loss by picking up some of the scoring slack. However, I have a feeling that we'll be in play for Bobby Ryan. If it takes a combo of something like MoJo, Orlov, and a future 1st, then let's do it. We'll be fine when the season starts. No worries what-so-ever.

*I liken the Rangers to the Knicks of old. They make huge spashes via trades or FA, but always come up short.

2) The addition of Ribeiro was HUGE. You're selling his acquisition short by saying "what else have we done?" Point being, the offseason is not over yet.

3) Low-risk/high-reward signing of Wolski....when motivated (and he should be), he'll be a boost to our top-6. ESPECIALLY playing w. MR.

Look, everyone knows that the absence of Semin leaves a huge hole in the lineup. Hopefully, Wolski can help soothe that loss by picking up some of the scoring slack. However, I have a feeling that we'll be in play for Bobby Ryan. If it takes a combo of something like MoJo, Orlov, and a future 1st, then let's do it. We'll be fine when the season starts. No worries what-so-ever.

*I liken the Rangers to the Knicks of old. They make huge spashes via trades or FA, but always come up short.

1) Pardon me, but he's been a 60+ to 70 point guy most of his career, but with no talent around him, what do you expect? He'll be a 75-80 point guy in NY. He's a big body who can handle the puck. We could use a winger like that to replace Knuble. Plus he's alot younger.

2) Yes, getting a 2nd line center was HUGE as we've been lacking that for years. But when you have no one to pass it to to score, it makes it a moot point.

3) Wolski? Who? (Yes I know who he is, it was sarcasm). So now, you are counting on a typically unmotivated player to become motivated?

4) True that it's not over and I'd love to get Ryan, but Orlov wouldn't be part of my trade. I'd trade Mojo, Schultz and a #1 for Ryan. Gabby loves Schultz, so he would love to have him in Anahiem.

The Rangers usually do come up short, but they had a very solid team last year and now add to what they had. They're going to be tough. NYR, Pitt and Philly are typically our main competition in the East. Those teams seem to do what they need to do, while we try to plug holes with inferior players that cost way too much. Hell, if we're going to throw money away (Ward, Schultz, Brower) on marginal players, might as well blow money on an allstar like Nash.

1. As PJ said so eloquently, Rick Nash is a goal scorer and will be so much more dangerous when he's not the only real threat. His last 5 years' points have been: 69, 79, 67, 66, 59 (his last, very contentious year). 75+ pts with Rags is easily in sight.

2. Yes, Ribeiro is a nice addition (not huge, Parise and Suter - that is HUGE). He would have made the second line better, but w/o Semin or another scorer, it just doesn't matter that much.

3. Banking on a guy who's bounced around the bottom lines on NHL teams is a giant stretch. Players like that don't help win Cups.

4. That line has been used by GMGM supporters for the last 4 years and he still hasn't made a move to make the Caps real contenders.

Lastly, as much as it hurt last spring, the Rags actually beat the Caps in those 7 games. In the off-season, they have gotten better while we have treaded water (at best).

*Maybe you missed 1994. May have been a while ago, but not nearly as long as 1975 (and counting).

1. As PJ said so eloquently, Rick Nash is a goal scorer and will be so much more dangerous when he's not the only real threat. His last 5 years' points have been: 69, 79, 67, 66, 59 (his last, very contentious year). 75+ pts with Rags is easily in sight.

2. Yes, Ribeiro is a nice addition (not huge, Parise and Suter - that is HUGE). He would have made the second line better, but w/o Semin or another scorer, it just doesn't matter that much.

3. Banking on a guy who's bounced around the bottom lines on NHL teams is a giant stretch. Players like that don't help win Cups.

4. That line has been used by GMGM supporters for the last 4 years and he still hasn't made a move to make the Caps real contenders.

Lastly, as much as it hurt last spring, the Rags actually beat the Caps in those 7 games. In the off-season, they have gotten better while we have treaded water (at best).

*Maybe you missed 1994. May have been a while ago, but not nearly as long as 1975 (and counting).

Since we like numbers, I'll keep it going.

1) You're banking on a 75 point explosion when he's only done that once in his career. Also, look at Brad Richards. PPG player in each of the previous two seasons before joining the Rangers. Had 66 last year. There is NO guarantee that Nash is going to be the piece that's going to put the Rangers over the top. Rick Nash - for all of his talent - is widely regarded as being a very overrated player. Who knows? Maybe having guys like Gaborik, Richards, Kreider around him will help his offensive output. Until he does it, I'll stand pat on my judgement of Nash and what he'll potentially bring to the table for the Rangers. I'll eat crow if he tops 75 points and plays up to his capabilities.

2) We needed a 2C and we got him. Ribeiro is one of the better playmaking centers in the league. He'll help immensely. THis was huge for US. Parise/Suter would have been nice, but it wasnt at all realistic. I do agree that we need more scoring to fill the void of Semin. I addressed that already in another post.

3) Again, Wolski is a low-risk/high-reward type of player. He should help our top-6. Not sure what he's going to do statistically, but if he's in it from a mental POV, he'll help.

4) Last year, we were cup favorites after our offseason FA signings and trades....and how'd that go? This year, there was a plan (getting a 2C) and still more offseason to go. I don't get why you think it's over just yet? As Marlo from the Wire said "You want it to be one way, but it's the other way."

Since we like numbers, I'll keep it going.

1) You're banking on a 75 point explosion when he's only done that once in his career. Also, look at Brad Richards. PPG player in each of the previous two seasons before joining the Rangers. Had 66 last year. There is NO guarantee that Nash is going to be the piece that's going to put the Rangers over the top. Rick Nash - for all of his talent - is widely regarded as being a very overrated player. Who knows? Maybe having guys like Gaborik, Richards, Kreider around him will help his offensive output. Until he does it, I'll stand pat on my judgement of Nash and what he'll potentially bring to the table for the Rangers. I'll eat crow if he tops 75 points and plays up to his capabilities.

2) We needed a 2C and we got him. Ribeiro is one of the better playmaking centers in the league. He'll help immensely. THis was huge for US. Parise/Suter would have been nice, but it wasnt at all realistic. I do agree that we need more scoring to fill the void of Semin. I addressed that already in another post.

3) Again, Wolski is a low-risk/high-reward type of player. He should help our top-6. Not sure what he's going to do statistically, but if he's in it from a mental POV, he'll help.

4) Last year, we were cup favorites after our offseason FA signings and trades....and how'd that go? This year, there was a plan (getting a 2C) and still more offseason to go. I don't get why you think it's over just yet? As Marlo from the Wire said "You want it to be one way, but it's the other way."

Now...we both know last year's FA/Trade class was weak and there is no comparison between Brouwer, Ward, and Hamrlik and Suter, Parise, Doan, Semin, Nash, Ryan, and etc. Our point is that we are sitting back (Ribeiro filled a need i know but not having another skilled sniper on the line nullifies that to me) while our chief rivals reload (well mainly just NYR...LOL AT THE FLYERS)

Now...we both know last year's FA/Trade class was weak and there is no comparison between Brouwer, Ward, and Hamrlik and Suter, Parise, Doan, Semin, Nash, Ryan, and etc. Our point is that we are sitting back (Ribeiro filled a need i know but not having another skilled sniper on the line nullifies that to me) while our chief rivals reload (well mainly just NYR...LOL AT THE FLYERS)

Point is, we were considered Cup favorites after going after Ward, Hamrlik, Halpern, and trading for Brouwer. Our team was already stockpiled with talent and those guys were supposed to fill in the gaps. It didn't work out.

Now, we do need to add more scoring with Semin gone but I think GMGM will address this before the season starts. Let's see how the roster looks in November when it starts for real.

Too bad they'll get a good player HALF the time... 50/50
As long as there is a strong, veteran voice to hold him accountable, he will be OK. Eric Staal will grab him by the throat and punch him in the face (figuratively) if he isn't with the program. I have no doubt he will score 30-40 G next year and have 60-80 points.

Archived