Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '11-'12 Thread [Dennis Wideman to Calgary for a 5th etc.]

Sticksboi05

As long as there is a strong, veteran voice to hold him accountable, he will be OK. Eric Staal will grab him by the throat and punch him in the face (figuratively) if he isn't with the program. I have no doubt he will score 30-40 G next year and have 60-80 points.

I dont think he will score 40 goals at all.....

Maybe high 20's low 30's... nothing over 35

I dont think he will score 40 goals at all.....

Career G:

10, 38, 26, 34, 40, 28, 21

If he is playing with Staal and Staal, he will score over 35. He will be given lots of time and space because the D has to respect the other wing and C. Ideal fit for him if he gets to play on that line.

Caps are no longer the best team in the SE (in my opinion)

Considering that Fla finished ahead of them last season AND have a great slew of younger players coming up, the Caps are now 3rd best in SE at this point.

I don't think he will score 40 goals at all.....

Even if you put him at 35 goals, that puts him only 3 behind Ovie from last year and 15 + goals ahead of everyone else on the team.

Horrible decision by FO not to re-sign him or his replacement. It will take a huge year by a couple of players just to get this team to the playoffs.

yeah, you guys are freaking the **** out. The Carolina Hurricanes have nothing in the defenseman category and last time I checked that is kind of important. Semin is still Semin and until he proves that he can be that 40 goal guy consistently, I believe that we should chill out on the predictions. Everyone is decent to good in the division but everyone has issues as well. You guys act like 3 teams can't come out of the SE

This team looks like straight garbage next season.

Love Ovechkin and Backstrom, but what else? Nothing, that's what.

I've always been on the GMGM bandwagon but the cat needs to go, and go right now.

Looks like an average team to me. Ovie plus a few guys who can score 20 goals. I see another 7th place in the conference.

Looks like an average team to me. Ovie plus a few guys who can score 20 goals. I see another 7th place in the conference.

7th place 'maybe'. You're assessment is right on. This team has gone from a legit Cup contender to mid-level team that will struggle to make the playoffs in just a couple of years. The main reason - the FO (combination of GMGM and Teddy) just don't put enough real effort to bringing in players who can lead this team to a Cup. I really am believing that Ted cares more about the $$$ than winning a Cup. That's sad.

why not bring in Shane Doan?

Always 50 + points, 20 + goals.

Money reasons? Obviously he may want to stay with PHX but it's worth a shot, correct?

Absolutely, but now the problem is that the price will be steep and the organization has shown consistently they won't make the big moves necessary to be a real contender.

I'm not crazy enough to say we won't make the playoffs but we are wayyy too complacent in upgrading the team. When was the last time the Caps brought in a BIG-TIME player via FA or trade?? Fedorov doesn't count cuz he was 78... The problem with the team is that there isn't enough scoring (which is ******* crazy to think about) and is full of glorified grinders. We need a Top 6 sniper on our second line right now. Wolski has potential but he's a worse Semin than Alex Semin. Even with a 20+ goal season, no one is afraid of Chimera offensively. No one will ever fear Mojo...period. We need Doan or Ryan to be serious contenders...However,I still believe that we are a playoff team

GMGM HAS to have a plan right? Or maybe he'll get an extension, Ernie Grunfeld style....

---------- Post added July-27th-2012 at 04:35 PM ----------

And I think the main think that pisses me off is that we aren't ever in the discussion for anybody...but you hear about Pit, Philly, Det, NYR, etc. We are nowhere to be found...

Not only are those teams in play, they usually make the move. We trade for 2nd tier players at the deadline somehow thinking that will put us over the top. Our window is closing and closing fast for a cup. I went through this with our last superstar (Bondra), I would hate that Ovechkin/Backstrom never get at least 1 cup.

Interesting reading this thread.

A general excuse used in the Wizards thread is that the reason for absolutely terrible recruiting of FA's and incredibly stupid trades is that "No one wants to play for a team as bad as the Wizards".

It seems like the Capitals aren't doing anything either, even though they are only one year removed from two dominant seasons. Have a core of great young talent. Have made the playoffs consistently. Still no high caliber FA signings or big time trades.

I think there is a pattern. Ted Leonsis can't make the gutsy move. Too complacent.

The offseason isn't over but like seriously, can we just get Bobby Ryan...

I really think that we're going to be in play for Ryan and or Doan.

Reason being, you don't go out and get a legit 2C like Ribeiro and not do anything else to bolster your roster before the season starts. IMO, there is too much panic going on before the dust has even settled in the off-season. We still have a ways to go. I'm not worried. Yet.

Also, here's an AMAZING read on Alex Semin and how the media was very unfair to him (in comparison to Rick Nash) during Free Agency.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/07/27/holding-nash-to-the-same-standard-as-semin/

I really think that we're going to be in play for Ryan and or Doan.

Reason being, you don't go out and get a legit 2C like Ribeiro and not do anything else to bolster your roster before the season starts. IMO, there is too much panic going on before the dust has even settled in the off-season. We still have a ways to go. I'm not worried. Yet.

Also, here's an AMAZING read on Alex Semin and how the media was very unfair to him (in comparison to Rick Nash) during Free Agency.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/07/27/holding-nash-to-the-same-standard-as-semin/

Yeah...but I have this awful feeling that GMGM really thinks that Wolski is the 2nd line winger answer

---------- Post added July-28th-2012 at 05:36 PM ----------

I been preparing myself for this reality for awhile now. I sadly think it will happen.

I don't expect any of my hometown heroes to ever get rings...#dcsportfanproblems

I don't expect any of my hometown heroes to ever get rings...#dcsportfanproblems

And sadly we won't be considered a true hockey town until we get the Cup. We'll always be a football town but to be considered also a hockey town too we need that Cup. Until we do we'll just be considered the city that got a good team that chokes every year with a fanbase that seemly didn't exist until we turned good(Even though some of us know that's not true). Our fanbase, Our team, and hell the entire organization need that damn Cup.

If an NHL team wants a shot at landing Shane Doan, it's going to be quite costly.

A source told Globe and Mail hockey columnist David Shoalts on Friday that the unrestricted free agent forward is looking for a four-year, $30 million contract if he leave the Phoenix Coyotes - the only franchise he's ever played for.

Source: TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401580

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man the NHL will be out of business in a few years.....Didn't we go over this 5 years go? The NHL needs max/slotted contracts.

The Semin article makes it seem like the only thing he brought to the table was his control and goal scoring.

He is a great shooter, and truth told, I think his wrist shot is far better than Ovi's. He gets it off very quickly.

The article ignores what I suspect many in DC think of with Semin. At least I remember an ill timed, lazy penalty for every memorable goal. Now, I don't know if the numbers are exactly even, but they sure felt like it. The worst part was the penalties were almost always positional/stick penalties.

I also don't remember him battling in the corners on the cycle all that often. Now he is fantastic in space, but he needs somebody to create the space for him.

Leonsis did a Q and A with Japers Rink which included the following comments:

I'm not an expert on the draft, free agency or making trades. I'm not an amateur scout, professional talent evaluator or a coach. We hire experts in those areas, and it is important to allow them to do their jobs. I know my limitations. Sometimes I wonder: Do our small, dedicated group of fans on message boards ever have that level of self-awareness?

http://fans.capitals.nhl.com/community/topic/60785-leonsis-shot-at-the-message-board/

I think Leonsis is losing it....

Hey- Screw You Leonsis. I've been a fan of the Capitals and Wizards longer than you have. Why don't you stop being an asshat and bring us a championship. You're getting almost as bad as Pollin was. Worry less about what fans are saying and worry more about trying to get your pathetic team out of the 1st round of the playoffs.

Archived