Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '11-'12 Thread [Dennis Wideman to Calgary for a 5th etc.]

Sticksboi05

I'm very happy about Ribero and Forsberg. Not happy about Wilson. After reading about him, it looks like he is going to be a project. Pretty high price to spend on a project.

Still, a good center and one of the top forwards in the draft makes it a great day.

I'm very happy about Ribero and Forsberg. Not happy about Wilson. After reading about him, it looks like he is going to be a project. Pretty high price to spend on a project.

Still, a good center and one of the top forwards in the draft makes it a great day.

I'm fine with Wilson. Even guys picked 15-20 are usually projects in the NHL.

3rd round:

Chandler Stephenson, C/LW, 5'11", 190 lbs. Former teammate of Caps prospect Garret Mitchell, who says Stephenson is a speedy power-forward we'll enjoy watching. Chandler says he's an offensive forward but would like to work on his defensive game to become a two-way player.

4th round:

Thomas Di Pauli, C, 5'11", 188 lbs.

Austin Wuthrich, RW, 6'1", 190 lbs. Wuthrich and Di Pauli are teammates at Notre Dame and US Development squad. Austin won Gold at U18 WJC.

5th round:

Connor Carrick, D, 5'11", 185 lbs. Two-way defenseman.

6th round:

Riley Barber, RW, 5'11", 195 lbs.

7th round:

Christian Djoos, D, 5'11", 158 lbs.

Jaynen Rissling, D, 6'4", 223 lbs. He seem to be a tough-guy with a number of fights on youtube.

, (Rissling splits his opponent wide open in this one)

Sergei Kostenko, G, 5'11", 187 lbs.

It's worth it. Eakin was not going to be any more than a 3rd liner on a team with legit depth.

I asked that because everyone was so high on Eakin. I'm just glad we have the depth in the minors to make a trade like this. I know alot of you in here have been wanting GMGM to give up some prospects to get some veteran presences in here.

Nick Backstrom isn't good enough for you?

Backstrom is the one real deal center...

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 10:17 AM ----------

I asked that because everyone was so high on Eakin. I'm just glad we have the depth in the minors to make a trade like this. I know alot of you in here have been wanting GMGM to give up some prospects to get some veteran presences in here.

Really we just needed an actual 2C.

since we've discussing other teams' moves in here anyways, the thread is nearing its end, and I don't want to find the general NHL thread...

Flyers trade James Van Riemsdyk to Leafs straight up in return for Luke Schenn. Over the course of a couple days, that means two sets of brothers have been reunited with Carolina teaming Eric and Jordan Staal (and they've also got Jared Staal in the minors; now they need to pry Marc away from the Rangers) and Luke joining brother Brayden in Philly.

The unexpected drafting of Filip Forsberg for the future allows the Caps greater flexibility now to make a deal during the offseason to acquire a second line scorer to go with Ribeiro. Ribeiro is good for 45-50 assists but he has to play with someone that can finish and right now Jason Chimera with a career high 20 goals is not the answer for a team looking to do more than tread water next season.

I am not suggesting this team will be in the sweepstakes for any of the top free agents or be willing to take on a long-term contract at high dollars in trade, but a move to add a veteran who is capable of scoring 25 goals and perhaps has a year or two left on his current contract would seem to be the target of opportunity.

It's nice to think that Marcus Johansson is really going to emerge as a winger now that he is being moved from center where he never really managed to put it together, but he is a smallish player who has consistency issues.

With the Penguins looking to add a Parise or Suter type player, the Caps need to do more than simply add Ribeiro to a team now minus Alexander Semin and hope to compete.

The unexpected drafting of Filip Forsberg for the future allows the Caps greater flexibility now to make a deal during the offseason to acquire a second line scorer to go with Ribeiro. Ribeiro is good for 45-50 assists but he has to play with someone that can finish and right now Jason Chimera with a career high 20 goals is not the answer for a team looking to do more than tread water next season.

I am not suggesting this team will be in the sweepstakes for any of the top free agents or be willing to take on a long-term contract at high dollars in trade, but a move to add a veteran who is capable of scoring 25 goals and perhaps has a year or two left on his current contract would seem to be the target of opportunity.

It's nice to think that Marcus Johansson is really going to emerge as a winger now that he is being moved from center where he never really managed to put it together, but he is a smallish player who has consistency issues.

With the Penguins looking to add a Parise or Suter type player, the Caps need to do more than simply add Ribeiro to a team now minus Alexander Semin and hope to compete.

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 08:23 PM ----------

the unexpected availiabilty of Filip Forsberg should give the Caps flexibility in 2012 to go out and add a veteran scorer to play with Mike Ribeiro on the second line. Jason Chimera scored a career high 20 goals last year but has not been known as a traditionally good finisher. The Caps would not want to go long on such a player, but a mid-30's veteran with perhaps 1-2 years left on his current contract..............

With the Penguins and Rangers still looking to add a top tier talent, the Caps to remain competitive in the East are going to need more firepower on the second line with the departure of Alexander Semin.

If we resign Mike Green and John Carlson and let Dennis Wideman go in free agency that should provide the necessary cap room to take on that extra contract.

It is very nice. You will not win Cups with puny wimps (physically) like Johansson centering your second or first line (good Lord really). He is the kind of guy who you want chipping in here and there from the wing. You need your centers to control possession. Ribeiro isn't a possession center but he is a precision passer and great playmaker. People don't get how nasty Backstrom is. That shift against New York where he put Anisimov on his ass after that perfect zone entry pass and then set up to snipe it past Lundqvist was reminiscent of another Forsberg and his name isn't Filip. He used to do that all the time in the 90s/early 2000's. Now imagine Backstrom but a better goal scorer and with better instincts and a bit stronger on his skates and you have Crosby.

I really like the trade of Ribeiro as Caps now finally have another top 6 centre along with Bäckström, but as most others, I feel we need another goal scoring winger. Chimera - Ribeiro - Mojo/Laich doesn't really get me going. What wingers do you see filling in for Semin? P.A. Parenteau is an UFA after July 1st. 67 points last year, though only 18 of them were goals. Had a cap hit of 1.250.000 in Islanders. What do you guys think about him and how much do you reckon he'd get in this overpayed market as an UFA?

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

About to take off for Chicago. Hearing Adam Oates new head coach in Wash.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

WSH will make formal announcement in about 30 minutes that Adam Oates is the new coach of the Capitals. Just as @DarrenDreger reported.

Archived