Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caps '11-'12 Thread [Dennis Wideman to Calgary for a 5th etc.]

Sticksboi05

Canadiens hire Michel Therrien

Updated: June 5, 2012, 12:59 PM ET

Associated Press

MONTREAL -- Michel Therrien is coach of the Montreal Canadiens again, a home-grown product who rejoins a storied franchise that fell to last place this season and angered many fans across Quebec over a previous coaching hire.

Therrien succeeds Randy Cunneyworth and was to be introduced at a news conference Tuesday afternoon. The Montreal native coached the Canadiens from 2000 until he was replaced by Claude Julien in 2003.

The announcement ended weeks of speculation over the ...

Source: AP/ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nhl/conversations/_/id/8011105/montreal-canadiens-hire-michel-therrien-new-coach

Is anyone else ready to dump either McPhee or trade Kuznetsov? I mean, ****... one or the other needs to happen because this little song and dance is getting very old. Two more years with the KHL?

Is anyone else ready to dump either McPhee or trade Kuznetsov? I mean, ****... one or the other needs to happen because this little song and dance is getting very old. Two more years with the KHL?

He is still pretty young. He needs more time to develop and there is better talent in the KHL than the AHL. It may be better for the Caps in the long run. He probably wouldn't play in the NHL this year if he came here.

McPhee, sure. Kuznetsov, NO.

Bro, it's only 2 years. If he's adamant about staying in Russia after this stint is over, then yea....maybe it would be time to explore moving him. Think about it....he'll be 22 when he hopefully comes to play for the Caps. There is a lot of FO turmoil right now and until there is some stability as far as who are coach is and what system we are going to run, I can't fault him one bit for extending his stay in the KHL. On top of it all, he's getting a nice deal (tax-wise).

He is still pretty young. He needs more time to develop and there is better talent in the KHL than the AHL. It may be better for the Caps in the long run. He probably wouldn't play in the NHL this year if he came here.

I get that much, but don't you see how he just gives McPhee the finger in the press? The press asked him earlier this year (during his press conference where he announced that he was staying in Russia) if he had told the Capitals that he decided to play in the KHL next year and he said "Well... they know now."

He just has no respect for McPhee. I'm not a Kuznetsov apologist or a huge fan yet, but I already don't like McPhee and to me this is just another issue on a long list.

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 11:54 AM ----------

McPhee, sure. Kuznetsov, NO.

Bro, it's only 2 years. If he's adamant about staying in Russia after this stint is over, then yea....maybe it would be time to explore moving him. Think about it....he'll be 22 when he hopefully comes to play for the Caps. There is a lot of FO turmoil right now and until there is some stability as far as who are coach is and what system we are going to run, I can't fault him one bit for extending his stay in the KHL. On top of it all, he's getting a nice deal (tax-wise).

He was picked in the first round of the 2010 draft. We are talking about a 1st round pick that won't contribute for 4 years minimum. That's absurd to me. Even if he is young. If you are a GM and you pick a guy out, you should be able to get him here (or know that he WILL come here) within 2 years at a minimum.

It's just irresponsible to me. It almost seems like he told McPhee that he wasn't interested and McPhee picked him anyways. Obviously that's just a theory/opinion of mine, but this cat McPhee just seems to get no respect and there has to be a reason for it.

I get that much, but don't you see how he just gives McPhee the finger in the press? The press asked him earlier this year (during his press conference where he announced that he was staying in Russia) if he had told the Capitals that he decided to play in the KHL next year and he said "Well... they know now."

He just has no respect for McPhee. I'm not a Kuznetsov apologist or a huge fan yet, but I already don't like McPhee and to me this is just another issue on a long list.

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 11:54 AM ----------

He was picked in the first round of the 2010 draft. We are talking about a 1st round pick that won't contribute for 4 years minimum. That's absurd to me. Even if he is young. If you are a GM and you pick a guy out, you should be able to get him here (or know that he WILL come here) within 2 years at a minimum.

It's just irresponsible to me. It almost seems like he told McPhee that he wasn't interested and McPhee picked him anyways. Obviously that's just a theory/opinion of mine, but this cat McPhee just seems to get no respect and there has to be a reason for it.

Teemu Selanne didn't make his NHL debut until he was 22/23 years old. It's not a big deal if he wants to stay in Russia for another 2 years. Honestly, I think the current turmoil with the franchise has a lot to do with his decision. That being said, he'll come over here bigger, stronger, faster, and a more mature player. No need to give up on him just yet. We have other issues that need to be fixed before thinking about what to do with Kuznetsov.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/capitals-will-not-re-sign-jeff-halpern/2012/06/08/gJQAAuamNV_blog.html

Helpern's gone.

Good luck @MikeKnuble22 !!! Gr8 time with you!!!...U were best old guy i know who like russian music hahahah!!!!
2 things w ovi's tweet. 1 I aint old yet 2. Russians don't even like Russian music. Just Ovi and Peggy from USA prime credit. Haha
:rotflmao:

The Kins scored 3 or more goals in nine games during the playoffs. Hopefuly the Caps realize you don't have to play ULTRA defensive hockey to win the Cup.

Honestly, the clowns who think you have to win Cups averaging 2 goals per game are nuts.

And no surprise, a team that made big deals in the season has it pay off. McPhee will be a coward as usual this offseason while other teams improve, he'll say getting some over the hill used to be decent center will fill our 2C role.

Just saw on CSN TV that a Blackhawks Assist coach is the emerging canadit right now for the caps head coach?

I didn't see his name so Im sorry :/

Scratch that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/capitals-coaching-carousel-dale-hunter-back-london-dean-192306324--nhl.html

Finally, on the Capitals' gig, Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington reports that former Chicago Blackhawks assistant coach Mike Haviland might be the frontrunner for the team's vacancy. From Gormley:

Haviland, 44, is believed to have interviewed for the job with Capitals general manager George McPhee but has not been offered the job. McPhee is expected to continue to meet with candidates through the NHL draft, which will take place Friday and Saturday in Pittsburgh.

Jon Cooper, who is coming off a Calder Cup victory with the Norfolk Admirals, is expected to meet with McPhee this weekend to discuss the Capitals' head coaching vacancy.

Haviland has spent the past three seasons as Joel Quenneville's assistant coach in Chicago, but was fired by the organization on May 8 following the Blackhawks' disappointing first-round elimination by the Phoenix Coyotes.

As McPhee said last week: NHL coaching experience isn't a necessity for his next coach. But one imagines Haviland's experience with the Blackhawks and Joel Quenneville might give him an advantage here.

Mike Haviland is an interesting pick.

It wouldn't be a Teddy.com type of move, but I wouldn't be upset.

Bummer about Dean Eveson... I love him and Johnson this year, but at the same time he got a coaching gig in the AHL as a HC.

Archived