Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Timing Of the Rams Game Is Just Awful For Redskins

kleese

Not saying I think it should happen, but if we lose to the Rams and Grossman turns the ball over a few times... How long is Grossman's leash? (I don't think it's going to matter much. I think you'd get similar production out of Beck, via different means. Actually, I'd guess he'd be worse stat wise, and better turnover wise, so not much gained or lost there) I'm just thinking outloud.

The Skins caught the Giants at the right time. They could have easily lost to Arizona in Week 2... Dallas was so unorganized that Romo sits to pee had to school them on the field and with his injury and all, they still beat the skins... I am not giving up on the team but is looks suspiciously like the same old Redskins.

Everyone raves aobut the D but they gave up 6 scores and like always, couldnt hold the opponent when they absolutely had to.

Change the QB # to 17 and its almost like deja-vu.

If they cant beat an 0-3 team that they "should beat" then nothing has changed.

You're absolutely right and I agree 100%, but people don't want to hear that.

I think this is our bounce back game. This game is where we will go back to the basics, and start to run the ball a lot more.

Also the Rams really can't do anything on defense, as well will go after the Rams on defense.

Look for a dominate game on both sides of the ball. We will need this headed into the bye. That loss sucks, and hopefully it will have them wanting to beat their ass.

kleese...it's a nice thread and I see your point.

I think this mentality is a product of our 20 year struggle since 1991. Only the fan base of a very few NFL franchises would look at a match up against a winless team off a short week and think it was bad timing. Most teams would see this as an opportunity to lick their wounds and get healthy. We're not a great team, but most teams see this game the way the Steelers saw the Seattle game in week 2 (after their embarrassing loss to Baltimore).

That doesn't mean the team is always going to win, but playing a poor team is preferable to having to roll right into a game vs. Philly or New York.

If they lose to the Rams, I don't think you can get on anybody for refering to them as the "same ole Redskins." If they've turned the corner, they win this game by atleast 10 points.

i agree 100%.

I was not ready to say same ole redskins afrter the Dallas game, but if they lose or even eek out a win by like 2 points and score under 20 and show offensive ineptitude the entire game with a few flashes here and there ...

i will have to say ... "same ole' redskins."

and that will suck :(

But you're forgetting another "law of averages" scenario, that it's difficult for the same thing to happen in the same situation two years in a row.

Last year, we beat Dallas then had what looked like a great game against the Texans which we heartbreakingly lost. Guess who was next? The Rams, in St. Louis.

Everyone was saying we'd come back strong and trounce the Rams. Cooley yesterday said he thought they would win by two TDs at least in that game last year. Look what happened, and it was the beginning of the end. Nearly the same exact situation as presented itself this year.

There's no way the Redskins are looking past this team or taking them for granted. The Rams are certainly desperate, but desperation should only be able to carry them so far.

The Redskins will get their best effort. The Rams will get the Redskins'. Wherever the chips fall, we'll have a much better understanding of this team on Sunday evening.

Grossman is the key this week. Grossman and the running game.

I think the Rams are going to win this one. They have had our number for the past 4 years, plus we are coming off a short work week.

21-17 Rams :(

They haven't had our number the last four years. They beat us last year..... The year before we beat them, but we won in a dreadful way (9 to 6). I agree we don't play well against them, but to say they have our number is BS.

For the record... I think the timing favors us.... They have been humiliated. They have a boatload of injuries, and aren't playing great football. We are playing decent football, and coming off a loss to the lowly cowpukes. If that doesn't humble a hungry, talented team, I don't know what will. I finally think we are going to beat them, and beat them convincingly.

Skins are simply a more talented team. Cows have a lot of playmakers on offense and we held them out of the endzone; even with a first and goal from the 2! I think regardless of how we play on offense (as long as we aren't shut out), there is no way the Rams score enough points against our D to win.

If anything, I think THEIR timing is awful. Were gonna be pissed off all week that we blew the Dallas game. Combined with the fact that we went there last year and stunk up the joint, and knowing we need a win before the bye. The possibility is there for a blowout, although that never happens for us. I'm sure it will be a 1 point game.

I didn't expect us to win this one coming into the season. With that said, it is very much a winnable game for us. Bradford and Jackson have both been bothered by injuries so far. But at the same time, the Rams are better than their 0-3 record shows. Its big game for us. A win will put us at 3-1 going into the bye with some momentum. 2-2 wouldn't be terrible going into the bye, but we'd lose alot of the momentum we had built up in the first 2 weeks.

For the naysayers...

Who would you RATHER see the Skins line up against - on the road - this weekend?

I really can't understand why the Rams aren't made to order. They suck.

Again, I consider this a REAL rebuilding year, the first in DC since I can remember, and I consider any success this year gravy. I won't go suicidal and "same old Skins" if they lose.

But if they ARE going to have surprise success this year, the Rams game is a pretty good barometer on whether or not this is actually going to happen.

Nice post Ryp...I think we have to stop being so scared of everything. We wanted Kyle to run the clock out with 7 minutes to go and 1 point lead. We wanted to play prevent with a 1 point lead before the 2 minute warning. Now, we're worried about the "bad timing" of catching the Rams on a short week. 99% of football fans WANT to play winless teams to recover from losses.

And yes, I'm exaggerating to make a point. I realize that no one wanted to go into the Riggo Drill or play a prevent on Monday night. I'm also just messing around as the OP is a great poster on here!

My gut, heart, and mind say that this is a new team and that this isn't happening. The Redskins of old probably had the same logic as you, kleese, but I wholeheartedly believe that this is no longer the case. The Rams have had a horrible start; the Redskins have had 20 disappointing years. No one should have a bigger chip on their shoulder than the Redskins, and this team should look to avenge their two most recent losses to the Rams (especially Haslett, who had fire in his eyes when he faced the Zorn-led Redskins but has not shown such passion thus far in his tenure with the 'Skins). The Rams are desperate for a win, but this is not the organization that you now look to to break your spell (like the Rams and Lions have done in the past couple of seasons).

You never know what's going to happen in this league, but the Redskins's chances of winning this one are as sky high as the likelihood that the fickle, a**hat fans of the Rams will boo their team when they can't get the job done on Sunday.

The timing of this game is actually AWESOME for the Redskins.

A second straight road game - and it's the Rams?!

Couldn't ask for a better opponent.

The Skins will win this one.

Stop whining.

"Boo hoo...we always lose these....waaahhhhhh"

Get a grip people. If being a Skins fan really makes you this miserable maybe you should check out for a few years.

Wow. I agree levi. It's disturbing how pathetic a lot of you sound right now. This is a team full of captains. The work ethic and accountability will not allow this team to fail.

HAIL!

Everyone seems so worried about this game. I for one think we're going to win. Not a blow out, but a game that we control and play well. I think this will be our best effort of the season so far. Rams are coming off three straight blowout losses, but we're coming off a tough loss, and we're a better team. I understand your point that we're getting the Rams at a bad time, but I think they're getting us a bad time too.

From a fans viewpoint, the timing of the Rams game can't be better. We already won the first two signal games (NYG and then Arizona) but lost the next big signal (@Dallas). We now get a good signal in early October as to who this team is. This is somewhat analogous to the Detroit game last year, especially with the bye and then Philadelphia but we don't necessarily have to wait until late November. We win in a dominating manner, that likely means we're good and a win over Philly would make an even stronger case. If we win but just barely, that could mean we're decent but we have to have a strong win Philly to get some confirmation. If we lose this game and then the Philly game (esp. if we lose like we did last year), the "suck for Luck" talk has somewhat legit. We lose, we can just sit back and enjoy the overall NFL season. Another example we fans can use to judge who we are this year is 2008, right now seems we traded New York for Dallas but a victory over St Louis and then Philly would put us ahead of schedule. If our belief in Shanahan is just, he hits the turn 6-2 or better, we WILL be a playoff team, so again being early October, we'll know the margin of error.

Levi is right.

Sack up.

We've won two hard games and lost a tough one.

The Rams are weak, and the Redskins are not.

The timing of the Rams could not have been better, actually.

The redskins do have that monkey on their back from the last two times they were supposed to roll the Rams, so the motivation factor is there. I doubt anyone will overlook them based on that.

Add to it we've got better players playing better football than in either of those two Rams games and there should be at least SOME confidence around here.

~Bang

Actually this is the absolute perfect 100% bar none exact team to face next.

This game all by its lonesome will show the character improvement by the team.

Last year had alot of distractions, issues, and problem children on the field, and thus far this year has shown a big turnaround in the overall mentality of the team.

I could see them possibly going down by 14 early, but firing back to take a commanding handle on the game, and this will show whether Shanny has instilled a different mindset into the players, as well as the staff. To me, it already looks to be a different climate around the Skins on the field...

Archived