Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Timing Of the Rams Game Is Just Awful For Redskins

kleese

First of all, the theory I'm about to expound on has no merit when you talk about the extremes... The excellent teams and the dreadful teams. The scale I propose means little to nothing to those teams.

I've always believed that when you play teams in the NFL is almost as important as who you play. This has been heightened over the years as parity has become the norm. You can even ride this scale to a playoff berth ala the 1999 Redskins or 2010 Chiefs.

The law of averages matters. Teams in the NFL generally don't go on long win streaks or long losing streaks. Teams generally don't get destroyed two or three weeks in a row.

In week one, we caught the Giants at a great time. We were at home, coming off a good preseason and pretty healthy. They were extremely banged up and had a down preseason. Being the home team on 9/11 was also an added advantage. On the timing scale, week one was heavily in our favor.

Week two I'd consider close to neutral, with a very slight lean in our favor because the Cardinals won in week one and came cross country for an early start.

Week three was a small lean to Dallas. They had good momentum heading into the game off an emotional win and we were probably due for a loss considering we'd won two fairly close games the first two weeks. Also, Dallas was 0-2 in home openers at Jerryworld and chances were that they'd win one eventually.

So through three weeks, overall, I thought we caught teams at good times.

This week is much different. I would say we catch the Rams at a horrible time.

They have been terrible so far. Just terrible. They might be a bad team but they aren't THAT bad. The Ravens game was a joke and I'm sure that entire Rams team is desperate and embarrassed right now.

And look at their schedule after us:

at Green Bay

at Dallas

New Orleans

If they lose to us, 0-7 is highly likely. And chances are that an NFL team won't lose seven games in a row.

The Rams have played below their talent level thus far. Maybe not WAY below, but below nonetheless. And those things generally correct themselves over time.

I haven't made a decision on who I am picking yet, but these factors most certainly will come in to play.

This is a bad spot this week.

I will go ahead and say it. If the Skins lose to the Rams, Rex Grossman will be a big reason. He won't be the only reason but Rex will probably have 2-3 turnovers that the Rams convert into points; should the Rams upset us.

Hopefully, after the Dallas performance everyone is embarrassed enough to play lights on Sunday. That would show we are little different. If we end up losing, it will be the same old Redskins.

After all the talk of being 4-0 going into the bye this time last week, if we do indeed lose to the Rams it will feel like 0-4; when in reality 2-2 would be an excellent start given we've had two tough divisional games and just what stage where currently at.

All things considered, we should not only beat the Rams, but beat them convincingly. As much of a work in progress as we are, they are a real bad team. But then we're just as capable of beating ourselves as winning when we are actually expected.

Good points on the Rams current run and schedule kleese man. I hope we bounce back Sunday, but I'm half expecting the worse.

Hail.

Steven Jackson healthy just in time for the Skins. The last time I watched him healthy he scampered for a 50 yard TD vs Philly before he went out with the injury. He has dominated the Skins in recent years & although this is a different/improved D they have still given up 5 yards per carry. Its tough to say one guy can beat you, however one or two big plays can. I know you feel more confident coming in 3-0 than you do 2-1 so I understand maybe some fans coming back down to earth. The Skins have nothing to lose though. They were predicted to be damn bad this year by many pundits & now have a chance at 3-1. Just do the damn thing !

The timing of this game is actually AWESOME for the Redskins.

A second straight road game - and it's the Rams?!

Couldn't ask for a better opponent.

The Skins will win this one.

Stop whining.

"Boo hoo...we always lose these....waaahhhhhh"

Get a grip people. If being a Skins fan really makes you this miserable maybe you should check out for a few years.

I think that it's short-sighted to doubt a pissed off Shanahan team, especially our defense. Say what you want about Hall, but I don't want to play him when he's pissed (****y is another story), and Orakpo is already getting my juices flowing.

This Redskins team hasn't lost, remember that. 4-0 versus starters in the preseason (yes, I was totally blown away by Flacco's ability to score with his first team against our second, too) and 2-1 for the real deal.

I'm very interested to see how this team responds to a loss. I don't envy Bradford.

Now that expectations have been tempered a bit, I'm going to go into the next set of games the way I went into the Giants game...excited to watch this young, developing team grow and improve. I had no expectations of a win in week one. In fact, by halftime, I was excited that we had already performed better against the Giants than we had in the previous 3 years. The second half was gravy. I was nervous about the Arizona game but very excited by how we rallied to win the game despite losing half of our secondary and looking lifeless for much of the first half.

Monday night's game was fun to watch from an intensity perspective but also frustrating as we had many chances to win the game. Had we won that game, as a fan I think I'd have to start looking toward a playoff berth (no matter how you get to 3-0, once you're there it's a realistic possibility that you can make the post-season). Being 2-1 is different. Now, we're only one game ahead of where I thought I'd be going into a game I thought we'd lose before the season started. Granted, the Rams are beat up and have struggled more than I expected that they would.

Overall though, I'm going to look forward to watching new/young players like Hightower, Helu, Davis, Young, Austin, Kerrigan, Bowen, Cofield, Williams, etc. play well and develop. I'll hope that solid veterans like Landry, Fletcher, Moss, Cooley, Brown, Orakpo, etc. continue to lead our team. I'm hoping for the win of course, but I'm not going to be white-knuckled like I was Monday Night. That game reminded me that this rebuild (or retool) is a process and we're not quite there. That's OK and it's not going to diminish the fun for me on Sundays. I've been waiting for this type of organizational direction for a long time and I'm still fully on board.

Its tough to say one guy can beat you, however one or two big plays can.

Only when you don't put up points can one or two big plays beat you. That's why the Skins are in these dodfights week in, week out and that this game will be close.

Two things about the Rams:

1). They can't defend the pass.

2). They have no WR's and have trouble passing the ball

Bottom line, if the Skins shut down the Rams running game, we should be able to pressure Bradford into some picks and win the game regardless of how well our offense does. The Skins defense is starting to become a force to reckon with.

I disagree.

First of all I do not think the Rams are playing below their talent level, they have two aging running backs, receiving core is average at best, average defense with no playmakers...

Second, every year there are 4-5 teams that win 2-4 games, meaning they will be going on some long losing streaks. There is no reason to believe that the Rams are incapable of losing 4 in a row. I mean they could lose 7 in a row and the go 8-1 and still make the playoffs in the NFC west.

I would rather be playing a beaten down 0-3 Rams team than a better team coming off a win.

---------- Post added September-28th-2011 at 11:31 AM ----------

Two things about the Rams:

1). They can't defend the pass.

2). They have no WR's and have trouble passing the ball

Bottom line, if the Skins shut down the Rams running game, we should be able to pressure Bradford into some picks and win the game regardless of how well our offense does. The Skins defense is starting to become a force to reckon with.

I agree with this, our defense should be able to control the game no matter what our offense does. Plus, we should be able to run the ball on the Rams this week, which will make Rexy look MUCH better.

This should be a huge game for our Defense. The Rams O-line is horrible (given up 12 sacks and 30 QB hits!) and Kerrigan, Orakpo, Landry et. al will be looking for blood. Yes, Steven Jackson is coming back but Sam Bradford's supporting cast (besides Jackson) is as bad as its o-line

Their defense is not much to write home about either.

I'm not "overlooking" them, I'm just looking at the facts. Just look at the locker room interviews from the last game, this team is not going to crumble, they're going to come back with a vengeance.

The Skins caught the Giants at the right time. They could have easily lost to Arizona in Week 2... Dallas was so unorganized that Romo sits to pee had to school them on the field and with his injury and all, they still beat the skins... I am not giving up on the team but is looks suspiciously like the same old Redskins.

Everyone raves aobut the D but they gave up 6 scores and like always, couldnt hold the opponent when they absolutely had to.

Change the QB # to 17 and its almost like deja-vu.

If they cant beat an 0-3 team that they "should beat" then nothing has changed.

I agree but just like the Gibbs and Zorn teams, they just couldnt hold the lead when the offense failed.

And I also hate to say it but these early games are nearly must win for the Skins - their Nov - Dec opponents (Bills, Dallas, Jets, Pats, Gmen and Eagles) arent going to make it any easier on them. NFC wins are imperative... AFC not as much but you have to have those tie-breaker advantages.

Archived