Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Syracuse, Pitt Leaving Big East For The ACC; TCU Bolting For Big 12

mjah

'Nova, WVU, or GTown would be a good last team to take.
The ACC won't take a school without an FBS Football program. The options from the Big East in addition to 'Cuse, Pitt, and UConn are Rutgers, WVU, Louisville, Cincinnati, or South Florida. Or the ACC might make a play for one of the independents, like Army, Navy, or Notre Dame.

The ACC won't take a school without an FBS Football program. The options from the Big East in addition to 'Cuse, Pitt, and UConn are Rutgers, WVU, Louisville, Cincinnati, or South Florida. Or the ACC might make a play for one of the independents, like Army, Navy, or Notre Dame.

Kind of hoping for a little guy. Maybe some one like ECU

As a 'Cuse fan and alum, I support this.

now if they can just change their name back to Orangemen, all will be right in the world.

Amen. I really don't even see how the change to "Orange" makes sense from a PC perspective. Weren't the female teams frequently referred to as the Orangewomen?

http://twitter.com/PeteThamelNYT/statuses/115497029341417472

RT @ESPNAndyKatz UConn aggressively pursuing ACC membership: es.pn/o2hzK0

So basically ACC is BE lite.

I stared at this post for about a solid minute trying to figure out how in God's name any person on the planet could see the ACC cherry-picking the best parts of the Big East and come to the conclusion that the ACC is "BE lite," but I had to stop because my brain was about to explode. Luckily, others have summarized my feelings nicely:

Between ACC and BE, ACC does not look like the lite one. ;)
Fixed..
That's the exact opposite of how anyone should describe it.
:ols: How do you come up with..... how do you totally reverse....

ixcuincle, is the sky blue in your world? :ols:

edit: I don't know about the money or academics, but Louisville might be a nice addition?

I could see Louisville happening.

Notre Dame in the ACC would make absolutely zero sense. On the other hand, if the Big East continues to collapse, we might finally see ND cave and agree to join the Big Ten. WVU is probably blackballed because of academics. I doubt Army or Navy will want to give up their independence. Depending on how much the conference wants to be a stickler when it comes to geography, Cincinnati and Louisville might be out. (Pitt is at least in a state that's on the coast, and we have no idea whether or not the rumors about Texas are true.) South Florida is a problem academically, and also doesn't add anything in terms of expanding the conference footprint.

Rutgers makes the most sense, with Cincinnati and Louisville lingering as possibilities.

Kind of hoping for a little guy. Maybe some one like ECU

The ACC isn't going to add a fifth North Carolina school unless the conference is absolutely determined to get to 16 and, for some reason, ECU winds up being the only available option.

good ones. The NCAA doesn't care about that lol

But some of the conferences really do. The Big Ten and ACC are two of those conferences.

Notre Dame in the ACC would make absolutely zero sense. On the other hand, if the Big East continues to collapse, we might finally see ND cave and agree to join the Big Ten.

I'm not sure you have any clue what you're talking about.

This article from an ND beat-writer suggests exactly the opposite and that the Irish should join the ACC ASAP.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110918/SPORTS/110919631

Basically, ND will never join the Big 10. ND hates the Big 10. But times are changing. They haven't been relevant since Hitler invaded Poland. If they miss the Superconference boat, the Irish will be SOL. And I'm pretty sure their administration knows it.

Shux, I wouldn't be surprised if the ACC was flirting with Penn State along with the Irish. Joe Pa always considered PSU an eastern school yet they're stuck in a Midwest conference. He's always dreamed of an eastern super conference. PSU's travel costs would plummet if they joined the new ACC.

I'm not too excited about playing Pitt and Syracuse again. I rejoiced when VT left that godforsaken conference, but it might work out nicely. Swofford could actually end up making

the SEC look silly too. Basically, "Nice try stealing VT, FSU, and Clemson, but we're strong, and now you're stuck with the Eers. Good luck with that."

Wouldn't mind a UConn addition, but if we invite the Jersey Shore, I'll be livid. Swoffie needs to pull the coup with Notre Dame. Midwest demographics are in a death spiral. We have no manufacturing base left in this country which built the Midwest and their flagship institutions. Not a short term problem, but what about 20 years from now? How many television sets will be left in the Midwest? Michigan and Ohio are becoming depression-induced ghost towns.

This, along with the fact the ACC will be the Ivy League of the superconferences makes the ACC more attractive to ND. Not only that, but NdBC's contract is a mere pittance to what the new ACC network will pull. I'm sure NBC is probably sick of paying millions to air a really bad football team too. And this ain't 1940. ND has to know if they keep up with independence status, they're screwing themselves long-term.

But since conference realignment is nothing but idle speculation, I wonder what the new ACC would look like. Some variation of this I suspect.

North Pod:

Sorryexcuse, PukeONN, Fredo, and the Non Determinant Blushing Irish.

Commonwealth Pod:

Awesomeness, France, Spitt, and Twerps.

Carolina Pod:

Demon Dorks, Puppy Pack, Dork, and UNCheat

South Pod:

Free Shoes, scUM, the Kittens, and Paul Johnson's ego.

Might be fun.

I actually have to amend what I said earlier about Notre Dame and the ACC. I've been reading through a bunch of different college message boards, and I now think that ND to the ACC, while still quite unlikely, does make sense in some ways, and is indeed possible. Both staying independent and joining the Big Ten are still much more likely, of course. I wish I had the next couple of days to just scour the boards as all of this unfolds, it's fascinating as hell.

EDIT: Ha, I wrote this before even seeing hokie's post. I'll address some of your points in a few minutes, hok.

so what are we going to have in 15 years, exactly?

Pacific, Southeast, Atlantic, Midwest. Is that about right?

Probably. And no one seems to be talking about what this realignment means for fans. I honeslty think its awful. I think the 16 team big east structure was freaking moronic for the last few years. There are teams in the conference that don't play each other AT ALL during the regular season. What a joke. Now its going to be like that everywhere?

Unfortunately, football money is all that matters, and the fact that it sucks for fans is being glossed over.

WVU looks to be trying to get into the SEC. They would be among the lower rung of teams in the SEC.

i seriously don't think you know anything about this, you just bash wvu to do it.

if wvu goes to the sec, they will be in a division with vanderbilt, georgia, kentucky, florida, tennessee and i'm forgetting someone. wvu split a home and away with auburn in '08 and '09. before that, they swept miss. st. in a home and home. they gave lsu all they could handle in baton rouge last year (with gomer pyle running the show and a midget league offense....they were a pat patterson punt return (or a flag on an obvious block in the back on the play) away from winning). they beat georgia IN THE GEORGIA DOME in a bcs game. i'm pretty sure we're a rung above kentucky and vanderbilt.

if we go to the sec, our expectations change, for sure. every year, it's reasonable to think we have a shot at the big east title. that won't be the case in the sec, but we'll be very competitive. not to mention, our resources will be much better (expanded, upgraded facilities, and our recruiting would surely take a bump.)

---------- Post added September-19th-2011 at 10:45 AM ----------

As an ACC alum: Yes to ND (UConn isnt bad either), no to WVU :pfft:

i can't blame you for wanting to play the irish and not the 'eers.

No Texas or ND is the word local here. Swofford has said that the schools all having equal revenue is a HUGE issue and that Texas with their own network and ND with their TV deal make them hard to add.

That being said, Swofford did make an interesting comment that Texas has their network deal with ESPN as does the ACC and maybe there could be a work around.

Archived