Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Syracuse, Pitt Leaving Big East For The ACC; TCU Bolting For Big 12

mjah

if we go to the sec, our expectations change, for sure. every year, it's reasonable to think we have a shot at the big east title. that won't be the case in the sec, but we'll be very competitive. not to mention, our resources will be much better (expanded, upgraded facilities, and our recruiting would surely take a bump.

my only problem with WVU in the SEC is geography. Yes, it matters to me. :D

Though, to your point, they would certainly be competitive.

whats sort of funny to me are the schools that kind of get grandfathered in to these monster conferences, while schools with legitimate programs are doing everything they can to get in.

UVA? I'm not even sure they belong in Div 1. Vanderbilt, Miss State, Wake Forest, etc.

my only problem with WVU in the SEC is geography. Yes, it matters to me. :D

dude, we neighbor kentucky and aren't very far from tennessee or georgia. without googling, i'd say we're not much further from florida than arkansas.

---------- Post added September-19th-2011 at 11:10 AM ----------

I know right, the fans are a different class all together...I'm glad you agree ;)

we're not in the early 90's anymore.

I don't. It may be what gets us a playoff. And if not, its the best shot there is. It sucks that tradition is dying, though. I don't necessarily like that aspect.

Tradition is dying and now it will be close to impossible for any schools not included in these conferences to rise up and become a football power - like Boise State and a few others have done.

It's basically going to become a club with closed membership.

I don't. It may be what gets us a playoff. And if not, its the best shot there is. It sucks that tradition is dying, though. I don't necessarily like that aspect.
I would much prefer doing away with conferences altogether. Each school gets to schedule 3 games of rivalries. 5 more games are scheduled from their "region" on a rotating basis by the NCAA. And 3 outside their region.

That would balance the schedules among all of Division 1 teams and open the door for a playoff.

I would much prefer doing away with conferences altogether. Each school gets to schedule 3 games of rivalries. 5 more games are scheduled from their "region" on a rotating basis by the NCAA. And 3 outside their region.

That would balance the schedules among all of Division 1 teams and open the door for a playoff.

Won't happen because there are too many people making money off of conferences. :(

Same with the BCS.

http://twitter.com/McMurphyCBS/statuses/115812689607016448

Rick Pitino blasts Pittsburgh & uses Godfather analogies on what happened to Big East bit.ly/npwfQg

"Never go against the family, Pitt."

---------- Post added September-19th-2011 at 11:47 AM ----------

I think Junior can sum it up better than I can

The results of those games — a split for the ACC, with wins for Miami and Clemson and letdowns for Maryland and Florida State — served as reminder: All these football-motivated moves don’t do nearly as much to help the ACC as they do to hurt the Big East.

Florida State’s loss to top-ranked Oklahoma likely means, once again, no ACC school will seriously contend for the mythical national title. More likely, the ACC champion will play a three-loss Big East champion in a bowl no one really wants to watch.

Adding Pitt and Syracuse doesn’t really change the league’s football profile at all. They are no different and certainly no better than Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Maryland et al: teams that will win a lot of little ones but not very many big ones.

The new schools are certainly positive in men’s basketball, especially at a time when the ACC has become essentially a two-team league in that sport. No ACC team other than Duke or North Carolina has been past the NCAA tournament’s round of 16 since 2004.

i seriously don't think you know anything about this, you just bash wvu to do it.

if wvu goes to the sec, they will be in a division with vanderbilt, georgia, kentucky, florida, tennessee and i'm forgetting someone. wvu split a home and away with auburn in '08 and '09. before that, they swept miss. st. in a home and home. they gave lsu all they could handle in baton rouge last year (with gomer pyle running the show and a midget league offense....they were a pat patterson punt return (or a flag on an obvious block in the back on the play) away from winning). they beat georgia IN THE GEORGIA DOME in a bcs game. i'm pretty sure we're a rung above kentucky and vanderbilt.

if we go to the sec, our expectations change, for sure. every year, it's reasonable to think we have a shot at the big east title. that won't be the case in the sec, but we'll be very competitive. not to mention, our resources will be much better (expanded, upgraded facilities, and our recruiting would surely take a bump.)

---------- Post added September-19th-2011 at 10:45 AM ----------

i can't blame you for wanting to play the irish and not the 'eers.

I'll agree with them being a step above KY and Vanderbelt but that's it. When WVU will have to compete with them on an annual basis; it won't be so easy for them to get wins.

SEC EAST

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vanderbelt

Recruiting against at least 4 of those teams will be tough plus against the SEC WEST. WVU will be an 8-9 win max team year in and year out.

I'll agree with them being a step above KY and Vanderbelt but that's it. When WVU will have to compete with them on an annual basis; it won't be so easy for them to get wins.

SEC EAST

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vanderbelt

Recruiting against at least 4 of those teams will be tough plus against the SEC WEST. WVU will be an 8-9 win max team year in and year out.

8 to 9 wins isn't bottom half though.

8 to 9 wins isn't bottom half though.

The problem for WVU is that they will be competing with teams with recruiting bases now, and they don't have that situation in the Big East - outside of possibly Pitt and Western PA is not what it used to be.

WVU, Cincinatti, South Florida, UConn, Syracuse, etc. all have to cast a wide recruiting net and pick up talent that slips through the cracks in Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. WVU has an advantage in this game in the Big East because it has the best national name and the best facilities.

PS Tennessee isn't always going to be this mediocre.

Getting the third best talent in Florida is fine when Cincy is getting the fourth best talent in Ohio. It's going to be a problem with Florida.

Having said that, I doubt the SEC really wants WVU. A&M makes it 13. Missouri makes a lot more sense.

(Just something to think about if WV goes to the SEC. Florida has 18 million people. Georgia has 9.6 million. Tennessee has 6.3 million. South Carolina has 4.6 million. West Virginia has 1.8 million).

The problem for WVU is that they will be competing with teams with recruiting bases now' date=' and they don't have that situation in the Big East - outside of possibly Pitt and Western PA is not what it used to be.

WVU, Cincinatti, South Florida, UConn, Syracuse, etc. all have to cast a wide recruiting net and pick up talent that slips through the cracks in Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. WVU has an advantage in this game in the Big East because it has the best national name and the best facilities.

Getting the third best talent in Florida is fine when Cincy is getting the fourth best talent in Ohio. It's going to be a problem with Florida.

Having said that, I doubt the SEC really wants WVU. A&M makes it 13. Missouri makes a lot more sense.[/quote']

they pull enough to more than compete with the sec over the past several years. wvu is recruiting texas now, too with holgy. they recruit dc / md / va, not as much the tidewater area as before but there are ties there, too.

i'll never say we'll light the sec up, but we'd compete. and at this point, i don't care where anyone ends up, even wvu...as long as we're in an AQ conference. like zoony said, the system is flawed a bit when you have vandy, duke, etc. that are in but a well established, legit successful program like wvu isn't.

i'm hoping for the best, but i'm nervous as **** right now.

they pull enough to more than compete with the sec over the past several years. wvu is recruiting texas now, too with holgy. they recruit dc / md / va, not as much the tidewater area as before but there are ties there, too.

i'll never say we'll light the sec up, but we'd compete. and at this point, i don't care where anyone ends up, even wvu...as long as we're in an AQ conference. like zoony said, the system is flawed a bit when you have vandy, duke, etc. that are in but a well established, legit successful program like wvu isn't.

i'm hoping for the best, but i'm nervous as **** right now.

No, WVU has to go to get to an AQ conference. That's a no-brainer.

I just think people look at "Hey, we beat Georgia and played LSU tough so we can do this" and don't look at the bigger picture. Bowl games are after a month off. Playing an SEC team between Marshall and Lousiville is different than having to run a gauntlet of Florida, Tennesse, Alabama, and Georgia in one month. A Big East schedule gives you some time to regroup. You can lose a starting running back and a defensive linemen and still have hope of competing against UConn. You have that happen in the SEC and even Kentucky will exploit you.

I think the ACC is the better match for WVU competitively, but I think the academics and reputation lock them out of that country club. The SEC would be great for WVU from a financial standpoint and it matches up with those schools culturally. I just simply can't imagine a scenario where WVU can make an SEC title game more than once every fifteen years or so.

The Big East makes so much sense for them, but it is dead. The idea of a grab-bag of Big East and Big 12 survivors holds some appeal to me. I don't know if that conference would get an automatic bid or any tv money though.

The question is stability versus competitiveness - and that is only if WVU actually has options.

I think it is amusing that WVU is being thought of as "academically inadequate" for the ACC with schools like FSU and UNC already in the conference.

Just my two cents though.

I agree though that WVU football does currently lack depth in some positions; however after a year or two, I would think their program would be extremely competitive and start competing for a title with the teams already existing in the SEC. Note, no one thought WVU could hang in any of its bowl games over the past 5 or 6 years either, but looked how well that turned out.

I think it is amusing that WVU is being thought of as "academically inadequate" for the ACC with schools like FSU and UNC already in the conference.

I agree though that WVU football does currently lack depth in some positions; however after a year or two, I would think their program would be extremely competitive and start competing for a title with the teams already existing in the SEC. Note, no one thought WVU could hang in any of its bowl games over the past 5 or 6 years either, but looked how well that turned out.

?????

UNC is one of the best public schools in the entire country - unless a ton has changed from 2002 when I was looking at colleges.

Yea, you are way off on UNC. They are a top 25 university in the country. ACC also has teams like Duke, UVA, BC, etc. I believe they showed the stats, and Maryland, for example, was rated like 58th overall, Cuse like 59th overall (could be the other way around), and WVU was like 160th. Big gap there. And I'd guess that Maryland, FSU and NC St. are probably the three "worst" academics in the ACC.

Yea, you are way off on UNC. They are a top 25 university in the country. ACC also has teams like Duke, UVA, BC, etc. I believe they showed the stats, and Maryland, for example, was rated like 58th overall, Cuse like 59th overall (could be the other way around), and WVU was like 160th. Big gap there. And I'd guess that Maryland, FSU and NC St. are probably the three "worst" academics in the ACC.

Are you arguing that WVU doesn't hold up to Free Shoes U academically?

No' date=' WVU has to go to get to an AQ conference. That's a no-brainer.

I just think people look at "Hey, we beat Georgia and played LSU tough so we can do this" and don't look at the bigger picture. Bowl games are after a month off. Playing an SEC team between Marshall and Lousiville is different than having to run a gauntlet of Florida, Tennesse, Alabama, and Georgia in one month. A Big East schedule gives you some time to regroup. You can lose a starting running back and a defensive linemen and still have hope of competing against UConn. You have that happen in the SEC and even Kentucky will exploit you.

I think the ACC is the better match for WVU competitively, but I think the academics and reputation lock them out of that country club. The SEC would be great for WVU from a financial standpoint and it matches up with those schools culturally. I just simply can't imagine a scenario where WVU can make an SEC title game more than once every fifteen years or so.

The Big East makes so much sense for them, but it is dead. The idea of a grab-bag of Big East and Big 12 survivors holds some appeal to me. I don't know if that conference would get an automatic bid or any tv money though.

The question is stability versus competitiveness - and that is only if WVU actually has options.[/quote']

LKB basically nailed it in terms of describing the change of pace from what WVU has been facing in terms of recruiting and scheduling to how those factors would change once in the SEC.

I don't think WVU would become a cellar dweller, but they're not even close to having the all around resources that programs like UF, Alabama, LSU, and even UGA or USC have.

Did you really mean to include the University of North Carolina there?

I also don't think you understand the Tier rankings in academics, the research qualifications for schools, and how even a school like FSU still meets those standards more than a school like WVU does (although, WVU to be fair, has its own disadvantages to deal with in that area considering it's the state school for West Virginia).

Dont sleep on UMD's academics, Clemson, FSU, NCST, and VT are worse :pfft: :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Maryland,_College_Park#Rankings

The University is ranked 56th in the latest 2011 U.S. News and World Report rankings of "National Universities" across the United States, and it is ranked 18th nationally among public universities. 29 undergraduate and graduate programs are ranked in the top 10 and 90 programs are in the top 25

http://www.beyondusports.com/acc-top-bcs-conference-academic-rankings/

Every year there’s a competition that takes place far from the gridiron and hard court. It’s the battle for supremacy in the US News and World Report Top Colleges List.

Of course this year’s list is topped by a bunch of Ivy League schools, with Harvard leading the way at number 1. We don’t care about those brainiacs though. We can about the schools that also play sports on a high level.

Stanford was the top BCS conference school. The Cardinal came in at number 5. Duke was next at number 10. The ACC over all had seven schools ranked in the top 40: Duke, UVA and Wake Forest tied at 25, North Carolina at 29, Boston College at 31, Georgia Tech 36, and Miami at number 38.

The top half of the Pac-12 is pretty good after Stanford. Cal is ranked 21, USC 23, UCLA 25 and UDUB is ranked 42. After the top five though, the next school is the new edition of Colorado. They rank 94. The bottom school in the Pac-12 is Oregon State at 138.

The Big Ten always does well academically. Like the ACC, the Big Ten’s lowest school ranks 101. That was new partner Nebraska. Northwestern in the top school in the Big Ten at number 12.

The BIG 12, SEC and Big East have some ground to make up. Texas is the top Big 12 school at number 45. On the other hand Texas Tech is the bottom school in the conference at number 160.

The SEC has Vanderbilt, at number 17, to thank.Vandy is the only SEC school in the top 50. Florida dropped nine spots to number 58. Mississippi State is the bottom school in the SEC at 157.

The Big East is just not an academic conference. UCONN and Pitt are the top Big East football schools at a tie at 58. USF is the bottom school in the Big East at 181.

As far as the independents go. Notre Dame was ranked 19 and BYU number 71.

Sorry WVU :pfft:

Archived