Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Syracuse, Pitt Leaving Big East For The ACC; TCU Bolting For Big 12

mjah

If it goes to 16' date=' it will be UConn and Rutgers.[/quote']

Only as a last ditch effort.

Multiple reports have come out stating that for further ACC expansion, no remaining Big East programs are priorities.

It could be UConn and Rutgers, but I think that only happens if something else behind the scenes falls through first.

you did, and i hate that you're right. the big east faltered because it let small catholic basketball schools run the show. now wvu is left in the cold, despite being top 20 in all-time wins, most wins w/ out a championship. meanwhile, duke, wake and vandy get to compete for an AQ every year. makes sense to me.

gotta say, i'm surprised that you feel bad for us and aren't gloating in our misery right now. i always knew deep down you were ok. :cheers:

Eh, I remember those internet battles fondly. Yeah, I hated the Eers. But not that much to wish you all to be in your current predicament. I just enjoyed whoopin' Eer ass every year and rubbing your face in it. Ha. Cheers mate.

Still early yet for WVU though. Still too many factors in play to commit to anybody right now. This is like the OK Corral. Everybody's preparing to draw, but they're scared to. The ACC just shot somebody's hat off, and now people are REALLY scared to draw. The gun fight won't really start until the ND/Texas situations are clarified.

If that's true, that pretty much destroys your whole "this is ONLY about football" argument. Pick a side or STFU.

It is only about football. It's not about being "Good" in football. If that were the case, WVU would be in a new conference right now.

UConn and Rutgers offer tv sets when negotiating your football tv deal and your eventual cable station deal.

---------- Post added September-20th-2011 at 12:11 PM ----------

This just sucks especially for schools like georgetown for basketball. Hate how money driven everything is.

Georgetown may actually be helped by all this. The Big East will go back to being a lean, basketball conference that can sell itself free of any football nonsense. If anything, the Big East is more attractive in basketball now because schools like DePaul and Marquette expand its reach. Georgetown's power in the Big East is certainly going to be large again.

In the age of games being shown not just regionally, are we really going to talk about media markets?

If WVU has an undergraduate enrollment of 25000 and BC has an undergraduate enrollment of 9,000 - are we just assuming the Boston area will watch BC - when virtually no one goes there? What about all the people who went to WVU and moved back home (to the NE)?

The worst case scenario, is that the BE football teams merge with what's left of the B12 teams. If we are truly hung up on media markets, peplacing Pitt and Syracuse with Kansas and KState, Mizzou (if they don't bolt to the SEC), and whoever else isn't that much of a loss. Besides, St. Louis (MIzzou) is a bigger market than Pittsburgh (which WVU holds a share of), anyways....and Kansas City ain't too shabby either (which Kansas has a stranglehold on).

I just don't see Notre Dame making a move until NBC pulls the plug on them. They don't have to panic, because there will always be a conference waiting for them when they want to make that move. They are like Texas in that way.

---------- Post added September-20th-2011 at 12:19 PM ----------

In the age of games being shown not just regionally, are we really going to talk about media markets?

If WVU has an undergraduate enrollment of 25000 and BC has an undergraduate enrollment of 9,000 - are we just assuming the Boston area will watch BC - when virtually no one goes there?

The big issue going forward is cable fees.

It doesn't matter if only .01 percent of NYC watches Rutgers. What's important is that New York cable stations buy the ACC Network because that .01 percent wants it. If every cable subscriber in the NYC region mays a few pennies because of Rutgers, that's a major victory for the ACC.

Keep in mind that Comcast and NBC are about to enter this game with guns blazing. What if Versus (an NBC company) decides to spend stupid money on the ACC in order to get picked up by cable companies up and down the East Coast and placed in a prominent position on the dial.

ESPN mastered the math on this with the NFL. If you can raise your subscriber fees, you can pay pretty much anything you want for content.

I just don't see Notre Dame making a move until NBC pulls the plug on them. They don't have to panic' date=' because there will always be a conference waiting for them when they want to make that move. They are like Texas in that way.[/quote']

Depends on if the BE and the B12 merge. If that happens, do the non-football teams want to keep the BE together AND still have ND participate? The only thing the ND really brings to the BE is the football bowl tie ins (better bowls).

Eh, I remember those internet battles fondly. Yeah, I hated the Eers. But not that much to wish you all to be in your current predicament. I just enjoyed whoopin' Eer ass every year and rubbing your face in it. Ha. Cheers mate.

Still early yet for WVU though. Still too many factors in play to commit to anybody right now. This is like the OK Corral. Everybody's preparing to draw, but they're scared to. The ACC just shot somebody's hat off, and now people are REALLY scared to draw. The gun fight won't really start until the ND/Texas situations are clarified.

i hope you're right. wvu doesn't deserve to be left out.

Depends on if the BE and the B12 merge. If that happens, do the non-football teams want to keep the BE together AND still have ND participate? The only thing the ND really brings to the BE is the football bowl tie ins (better bowls).

Notre Dame does not always act completely rationally. I can see pressure to remain with the other Catholic Schools. I can see it taking its other sports to a new league. I can see it going independent in all sports.

I still think the best 50-year-plan for Notre Dame is to join the Big 10 but as an institution it still wishes it was 1985. Looking forward is not always its strength.

can't believe i'm posting a twitter link:

https://twitter.com/#!/SouthernPigskin/status/115966552020492288

some are now saying the sec said "not right now" not "no"

That's the rumor I read also (which some are thinking it means WVU would be offered #15 or #16 to the SEC).

Whatever. They can only fulfill their mission as a land grant university to the State. And continue to be a national player in football and basketball.

More than likely, a merge of the B12 and BE is probably what WVU will have to "settle" for. How that conference would be weaker than the existing BE (as some contend) is beyond me.

That's the rumor I read also (which some are thinking it means WVU would be offered #15 or #16 to the SEC).

Whatever. They can only fulfill their mission as a land grant university to the State. And continue to be a national player in football and basketball.

More than likely, a merge of the B12 and BE is probably what WVU will have to "settle" for. How that conference would be weaker than the existing BE (as some contend) is beyond me.

it would probably actually be stronger. but will it be AQ?

It is only about football. It's not about being "Good" in football. If that were the case' date=' WVU would be in a new conference right now.

UConn and Rutgers offer tv sets when negotiating your football tv deal and your eventual cable station deal.[/quote']

No, WVU's problem is that despite being a good program and fairly strong brand, its academics leave it in an awkward spot.

It's not strong enough as a school for the ACC or Big 10. And it's not quite strong enough as a brand for the SEC to split their pie with them, unless it's a last ditch effort just to add a school.

Again, if it were about offering TV sets, plain and simple, the Big 10 wouldn't have chosen Nebraska last year over any possible Northeast schools in large markets.

I thought the Big 12 would only go that route if Texas and OU withdrew.

The Big 12 conference without Texas and OU is pretty weak.

You'd have Oklahoma State and WVU, and a ton of bad to mediocre programs. That's about it.

The remaining Big East and Big 12 football schools should merge, invite a few Mountain West teams, fill it out with some Conference USA teams, and just call it the "Big Enough to Deserve an AQ Bid" conference. UConn, Rutgers, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU, Boise State, Memphis? Marshall? UCF? SMU? Houston? ECU? UNLV? There must be a 16-team conference in there somewhere.

Does anyone have a link as to what defines Tier 1, 2, & 3?

According to this listing, WVU is Tier 1.

http://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory.com/undergraduate-colleges/national-universities.aspx?page=17&tier=1

---------- Post added September-20th-2011 at 10:52 AM ----------

I thought the Big 12 would only go that route if Texas and OU withdrew.

You'd have Oklahoma State and WVU, and a ton of bad to mediocre programs. That's about it.

The rumors are that Texas, Oklahoma, OK State, and Texas Tech are getting a Pac 12 invite (or wanting one).

That leaves Mizzou, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, & K State to fend for themselves. Merging with the remaining BE teams (expecially if the ACC grabs Rutgers and UConn) and adding in TCU which is a BE team next year, makes a lot of sense for all the parties involved.

Does anyone have a link as to what defines Tier 1, 2, & 3?

According to this listing, WVU is Tier 1.

http://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory.com/undergraduate-colleges/national-universities.aspx?page=17&tier=1

There used to be four tiers, but US News cut it down to two tiers last year, so West Virginia was bumped up from Tier 3 of 4 to Tier 1 of 2. (Tier 1 now contains 75% of the schools in the country)
2. In response to a strong interest from readers in knowing precisely where all schools on their lists stand, we've opted to display the rank of the top 75 percent of schools in each category, up from 50 percent. This top ranked group will be called the First Tier. The schools in the bottom 25 percent of each ranking category are listed alphabetically as the Second Tier (previously called the Fourth Tier). This means we have eliminated the Third Tier from the rankings and we are now numerically ranking 75 percent of the schools in the National Universities, National Liberal Arts Colleges, Regional Universities, and Regional Colleges categories. The same number of schools appear in the ranking tables as last year.
http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/college-rankings-blog/2010/08/16/methodology-changes-for-best-colleges-rankings

[quote name=Spartacus87;8545823

You'd have Oklahoma State and WVU' date=' and a ton of bad to mediocre programs. That's about it.[/quote]

no one from the big east wanted to admit this, but at this point, what the hell....

what you're describing is the big east the last several years (and the acc for that matter)

On a side note, I predicted the Big East's collapse (not rocket science, I know) many years ago back when the NCAA forum was actually interesting. I also predicted WVU would be left out in the cold. Hate to say I'm not happy about being right. Gotta suck for the Eers. But the Big East treated VT like scum, so the conference can rot in hell. But I still feel bad for the eers.

Yep. I recall those days, and I remember that the Big East's eventual demise was -- among fans of schools not in it -- a matter of "when," not "whether." I thought WVU would find a conference, though I didn't offer that up at the time, so I guess I'm just volunteering my mistake here. You nailed their present situation perfectly though. I still think the SEC is a long-term possibility for WVU, after some awkward leftover-merger attempts. There's no sense in waiting, really, once TX and OK jump; WVU should start working on that right now. Maybe they have.

Chalk me up as another person who expected to be happier about this whole situation. I never took the NCAA forum shenanigans all that seriously, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised to be less than overjoyed about what seems to be the true beginning of the end of the Big East. Tempered in conflict, tempered in joy I guess. Seems it was just about wanting a secure situation for my own conference the entire time -- never about really wishing disaster upon other conferences. (Which is not to claim that they're independent events in this case...)

I'm excited about the future of the newly realigned AQ conferences, especially regarding football. These are very interesting times to live in, and disruptive change is fascinating! The most important (realistic) thing for college football to get these days is a respectable, true playoff system. A conference earthquake, cracking the "but-but-but-tradition" standard-bearing stalwarts out of their eggshell armchairs, may rattle just enough perspectives to start us on a genuine path toward postseason sanity.

Or to put it a different way: First goal satisfied, now on to the real prize.

Archived