Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Syracuse, Pitt Leaving Big East For The ACC; TCU Bolting For Big 12

mjah

• 3 weeks later...

As I posted in college football thread

My people tell me WVU going to B12. Big East football!

RT @TeddyGreenstein: Source just confirmed: West Virginia headed to B12. Big East weakened again.

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 11:29 AM ----------

WVU leaving is a big loss for BE conference. WVU was consistently successful throughout the BE period following the defection of VT, Miami, and BC. This leaves Syracuse as the BE power, at least until they defect to the ACC in the near future.

So with WVU, Syracuse, and Pitt all leaving the conference, what does the BE do football-wise? There's a huge hole in terms of football now.

Potential solutions to BE defection

The Big East now moves toward putting together its proposed 12-team model; it hopes to add Air Force, Navy and Boise State in football and Houston, Southern Methodist and Central Florida in all sports. With West Virginia gone, the new team most likely to emerge as a possible member would be Temple, which has received resistance from its Philadelphia rival Villanova. But with the league’s future in peril, it is hard to imagine that Villanova would have enough influence to thwart Temple, which boasts a rising football program, a strong basketball program and the Philadelphia television market. East Carolina and Memphis would be other candidates. Both have openly lobbied to join the Big East in the past.

Temple going to BE is a brilliant idea. BE should go all out to acquire Villanova and Temple, as well as BSU if they can. BSU would really revive conference image.

What, you mean Boise State shouldn't be in the Big East?

This whole conference jumping thing has gotten way out of control.

Name aside, what's the point of having a conference if at least two of the teams are going to have to travel at least 1500-2000 miles every week for a game?

Name aside, what's the point of having a conference if at least two of the teams are going to have to travel at least 1500-2000 miles every week for a game?
Travel is overrated. Hawaii travels that far 3-4 times a season, and is 2 hours on a plane much different than 1.

I wonder if Missouri or the SEC is paying WVU's exit fee from the BE. My guess is yes. What a weird game of musical chairs.

I wonder if Missouri or the SEC is paying WVU's exit fee from the BE. My guess is yes. What a weird game of musical chairs.

Maybe I missed something, but why would either Missouri or the SEC pay WVU's exit fee from the BE in favor of the Big 12?

Maybe I missed something, but why would either Missouri or the SEC pay WVU's exit fee from the BE in favor of the Big 12?
SEC needs Missouri, and Missouri wants to go but legally they could not because contractually the Big 12 must have X number of schools. In other words, Missouri could not legally leave the Big 12 without an instant replacement. The 5 million BE exit fee was probably part of the deal.

WVU should come to the BigTen.

As a land grant institution that actively fulfills its main mission (and doesn't shuttle the majority of the lower qualifiers to satellite schools), WVU will never have or meet the elite academics required by the B10.

Which is odd, since we are really talking about sports (and not academics).

:silly:

As a land grant institution that actively fulfills its main mission (and doesn't shuttle the majority of the lower qualifiers to satellite schools), WVU will never have or meet the elite academics required by the B10.

Which is odd, since we are really talking about sports (and not academics).

:silly:

I went to main campus. I don't know the plight of the littles at the satellite campuses.:silly:

I see what you're getting at with the mission part and I agree -- but that latter bit about satellite campuses is an exceedingly lame excuse.

WVU's academic problems with respect to Big Ten membership go far beyond the question of whether or not they have satellite campuses.

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 08:14 PM ----------

SEC needs Missouri, and Missouri wants to go but legally they could not because contractually the Big 12 must have X number of schools. In other words, Missouri could not legally leave the Big 12 without an instant replacement. The 5 million BE exit fee was probably part of the deal.

Ah, got it.

I guess I can understand the SEC footing the bill then, maybe. But Missouri itself? That seems a bit steep, even if the promise of SEC money looms on the horizon.

WVU's academic problems with respect to Big Ten membership go far beyond the question of whether or not they have satellite campuses.

he didn't say it was the only excuse but you are naive if you think it doesn't play into it. cal schools, penn state,...lots of colleges can shuffle their risky kids to satellite campuses, wvu doesn't really have that option.

• 1 month later...

Brett McMurphy

@McMurphyCBS

BREAKING: Sources tell @CBSSports Big East will add Boise, San Diego St, Houston, UCF, SMU Wednesday. Will join league in 2013

I like the move...you will have to get rid of Big East title and there has to be another good western school. I would love to see Notre Dame and Boise State play every year though...

I still say the ACC is stupid not bringing in WVA. Let Duke and such carry the academics part. The ACC needs another bonafide year in and year our top 25 football program to compete with the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 10. These moves are about football and money football will bring in. Snubbing WVA and potentially ending up with UConn or Rutgers was a stupid move IMO.

---------- Post added December-6th-2011 at 01:20 PM ----------

Brett McMurphy

@McMurphyCBS

BREAKING: Sources tell @CBSSports Big East will add Boise, San Diego St, Houston, UCF, SMU Wednesday. Will join league in 2013

I like the move...you will have to get rid of Big East title and there has to be another good western school. I would love to see Notre Dame and Boise State play every year though...

There goes MWC and CUSA.

Brett McMurphy

@McMurphyCBS

I like the move...you will have to get rid of Big East title and there has to be ano0ther good western school. I would love to see Notre Dame and Boise State play every year though...

How about "The Big Random" Or "The Big Leftovers"? Or, "The Big Garbage Pile"?

Yes, that conference makes plenty of sense.

How about "The Big Random" Or "The Big Leftovers"? Or, "The Big Garbage Pile"?

"The Big Least" seems to apply now more than ever.

More news: Air Force not joining at this time.

Also:

wilnerhotline Jon Wilner

WAC commish Karl Benson has asked UN, UH and FSU to reconsider decisions to leave WAC in wake of MWC defections.

Who knows about that one.

New teams introduced via conference call. Interesting Cliff's notes at the link below, the general message being "this mess is great and we're really excited about it lalala."

Big East expansion news and notes

Finally, kinda interesting but not all that surprising:

C-USA, Mountain West all-sports merger on horizon

Archived