Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why John Beck is Likely to Win the Job

Oldfan

Well it appears that every sports writer in the country is saying that Beck was "shaky" or "spotty" or whatever last night. I even said last night that I thought Beck was looking pretty good and somebody quoted me and asked me what game I was watching. Being the new guy here, I don't wanna start an argument but in the game I saw, we were whoopin some Buccaneer butt in the first half. Beck was only in for the first half and we were 17-3. Thats "spotty?" I'll take that kind of "spotty" all day

Neither side is going to convince anyone else. That's what's funny about these threads. We all get caught up in "our" guy.

I'm just going to wait and see who gets it, and enjoy NFL Sunday Ticket this season!

rex outplayed beck this preseason, there shouldnt be any convincing there, because thats obvious. now the argument can still be made for either qb to start, and i wont be irritated with the coaches pick, but i feel (as i have felt all along) that rex will be the starter.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 05:38 PM ----------

Well it appears that every sports writer in the country is saying that Beck was "shaky" or "spotty" or whatever last night. I even said last night that I thought Beck was looking pretty good and somebody quoted me and asked me what game I was watching. Being the new guy here, I don't wanna start an argument but in the game I saw, we were whoopin some Buccaneer butt in the first half. Beck was only in for the first half and we were 17-3. Thats "spotty?" I'll take that kind of "spotty" all day

beck had a rough outing.. very rough. he was not helped by his oline either. fortunately, the defense was awesome in the first half. and banks had a td. thats the reason it was 17-3.

That's not a drive. It's one pass that really wasn't all that difficult to complete. I mean, I could critique the ball placement, but that's neither here nor there. Beck gets very little credit on that drive.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 05:15 PM ----------

I think the cherry picker in this case would be you.

I'm not cherry picking. You said Beck had 1 TD drive against the Ravens and it was against their backups. I corrected you and pointed out that Beck had another TD drive that was against the Ravens starters. That's not cherry pickin. That's stating an obvious fact that you left out to skew your argument.

7- points came from a recovered sack fumble that gave us great field position, and we were then able to RUN it in......

7- points came from BB punt return TD

3- points came from a kick, lol

0-points came from Beck.......

rex outplayed beck this preseason, there shouldnt be any convincing there, because thats obvious. now the argument can still be made for either qb to start, and i wont be irritated with the coaches pick, but i feel (as i have felt all along) that rex will be the starter.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 05:38 PM ----------

beck had a rough outing.. very rough. he was not helped by his oline either. fortunately, the defense was awesome in the first half. and banks had a td. thats the reason it was 17-3.

Grossman also had more playing time w/ the 1s than Beck had, so comparisons aren't very solid there. While that may not mean anything to anyone here, it will mean something to Beck.

I won't even argue that Grossman may have outplayed Beck. He's a solid QB. But, considering his ample experience in the NFL, I would expect him to be MUCH better. He didn't blow Beck out of the water with his play. In face, all Preseason, neither QB (in MIke's own words) separated themselves from the other, making this overall decision very hard.

And up until last night's unfortunate, it could be argued that Beck had outplayed Grossman (QBR's don't lie, do they?)

Regardless of where you or I are coming from, I imagine Mike is going to go with the guy he's been high on. They know what they have in Grossman. One bad game by Beck isn't going to sway them on how high they've been on him (especially given the circumstances so easily ignored here). They will want to see more. I could be wrong, and I'm sure you'll point out quickly that I am, but even people in the media believe Beck will be starting (not that I trust their word anyway).

May the best man win. I want Beck. You want Grossman. Mike wants.....(TBD)

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 03:45 PM ----------

7- points came from a recovered sack fumble that gave us great field position, and we were then able to RUN it in......

7- points came from BB punt return TD

3- points came from a kick, lol

0-points came from Beck.......

Did that kick come from our own endzone? Beck did orchestrate the drive that got to the 3 points. C'Mon. At least give credit in moving the chains on that drive. Points is points.

And up until last night's unfortunate, it could be argued that Beck had outplayed Grossman (QBR's don't lie, do they?)

Regardless of where you or I are coming from, I imagine Mike is going to go with the guy he's been high on. They know what they have in Grossman. One bad game by Beck isn't going to sway them on how high they've been on him (especially given the circumstances so easily ignored here). They will want to see more. I could be wrong, and I'm sure you'll point out quickly that I am, but even people in the media believe Beck will be starting (not that I trust their word anyway).

yep.. i would prefer grossman, but i dont mind if shanny goes with beck.

and i dont use the QBR stat. it doesnt tell you how a qb played. guys used that stat to support campbell for years.

You can't just look at the score and decide if a QB is playing well

The first TD was off a guy I've been screaming about for weeks

With all of the Bandon Banks haters on this forum what did he do but break off a 90+ yard punt (the end zone fudge up aside)

7 points had not a thing to do with the offense

And those who still think that Banks should be cut I told you for months now that you were silly to think that. I hope your off that bandwagon now

As for how Beck looked last night...the argument against Rex is his carelessness with the football

Well Beck had one interception on a very poorly thrown pass and and a fumble

I know Coach Shannahan hates fumbles and this will hurt Beck

The INT came in the endzone when we were in the red zone on a very poorly thrown pass

Not to mention his passer rating of 43.4% on the game isn't going to help him any

In fact if you want to see the highlights they are right here:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011090159/2011/PRE4/buccaneers@redskins#menu=highlights&tab=recap

And the only highlight that Becks on is that INT

I saw a couple of plays Beck made last night and I sorta get why people are into him but not enough to unseat Rex Grossman

I've never gotten off the Rex Express and nothing is going to make me believe for an instant to depart that train

This was the game that would shut me up and get me believing in John Beck and it didn't happen

Not with the way he played, it's just not there yet. He needs more time

Grossman also had more playing time w/ the 1s than Beck had, so comparisons aren't very solid there. While that may not mean anything to anyone here, it will mean something to Beck.

I won't even argue that Grossman may have outplayed Beck. He's a solid QB. But, considering his ample experience in the NFL, I would expect him to be MUCH better. He didn't blow Beck out of the water with his play. In face, all Preseason, neither QB (in MIke's own words) separated themselves from the other, making this overall decision very hard.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 03:45 PM ----------

Did that kick come from our own endzone? Beck did orchestrate the drive that got to the 3 points. C'Mon. At least give credit in moving the chains on that drive. Points is points.

"And up until last night's unfortunate"......... I dont understand why this is supposed to get a pass with some people........ "it could be argued that Beck had outplayed Grossman (QBR's don't lie, do they?)"........ This is before both the QB's snap's were evened out.......... Now that the snaps are evened out, the stats dont lie..... Rex OUTPLAYED Beck, fair and square, its in the books, No more excuses.... They both played 1st and 2nd stringers........ I would argue that Rex played against more elite 1st stringers anyway

This should be the final post in this thread. Beck had 0, I repeat 0 points against a second string Bucs defense. If we're still trying to come up with excuses for him to be our QB then all you guys have gone completely bananas.

This should be the final post in this thread. Rex had 0, I repeat 0 points against a second string Colts defense. If we're still trying to come up with excuses for him to be our QB then all you guys have gone completely bananas.

See how that works? Now which defense do you think was ranked worse in 2010, the Bucs or the Colts? Nevermind, I'm sure you know......it was the team whose second string Rex couldn't score against.

That was mainly because of the defense. Beck was shaky or somthing, and I dont like his long throws at all.

Agreed. I think Rex outplayed Beck too. But both played well enough, that I won't be upset with whoever starts. In Shanny I trust.

This should be the final post in this thread. Rex had 0, I repeat 0 points against a second string Colts defense. If we're still trying to come up with excuses for him to be our QB then all you guys have gone completely bananas.

See how that works? Now which defense do you think was ranked worse in 2010, the Bucs or the Colts? Nevermind, I'm sure you know......it was the team whose second string Rex couldn't score against.

You mean with a backup offensive line lol. Beck had his offensive line and he still played like ****

"And up until last night's unfortunate"......... I dont understand why this is supposed to get a pass with some people........ "it could be argued that Beck had outplayed Grossman (QBR's don't lie, do they?)"........ This is before both the QB's snap's were evened out.......... Now that the snaps are evened out, the stats dont lie..... Rex OUTPLAYED Beck, fair and square, its in the books, No more excuses.... They both played 1st and 2nd stringers........ I would argue that Rex played against more elite 1st stringers anyway

You win. Rex won the preseason. But, it wasn't an impressive victory over a guy people want to hang a career on 4 starts w/ the 2nd worst team in NFL history. 10 years in the league, a Superbowl, and you barely beat out a guy with a fraction of your starting experience? I can only say Wow!

Let's see who Mike picks, because that's all that matters.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 05:21 PM ----------

You mean with a backup offensive line lol. Beck had his offensive line and he still played like ****

Did that line even closely resemble the line protecting both Beck and Rex the prior games of the preseason? They sucked. Reminded me of the 07 Dolphins line. I was having flashbacks. Maybe they should all be benched, too, because of their horrible game.

Then I guess they're even since Rex was playing the second string defense of a team whose defense is worse than the Bucs. So again, see how that works?

In the Colts game, Rex had 4 drives. Beck had an entire half against the Bucs. Rex still made about as many good plays against the Colts' 2nd stringers, in his 4 drives, as Beck did against the Bucs 2nd stringers in his half of play. Beck made some great plays against the Bucs - he had some good throws under pressure, some good rollouts, etc. Rex also had several great plays against the Colts, including some big ones that were cancelled out due to drops and penalties which made his job significantly harder.

---------- Post added September-3rd-2011 at 01:36 AM ----------

You win. Rex won the preseason. But, it wasn't an impressive victory over a guy people want to hang a career on 4 starts w/ the 2nd worst team in NFL history. 10 years in the league, a Superbowl, and you barely beat out a guy with a fraction of your starting experience? I can only say Wow!

Let's see who Mike picks, because that's all that matters.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 05:21 PM ----------

Did that line even closely resemble the line protecting both Beck and Rex the prior games of the preseason? They sucked. Reminded me of the 07 Dolphins line. I was having flashbacks. Maybe they should all be benched, too, because of their horrible game.

Im not entirely sure what you were expecting to see. Rex has a 90+ QB rating. He has played very well, all things considered. He was near-perfect against an excellent Steelers defense. He turned in a sub-par performance against the Colts' backups. He looked good again against the Ravens. He played very, very well.

I think people who are pointing to the Ravens game as some sort of failure by Grossman are not in touch with reality. The Ravens are a playoff team. They are one of the best defenses in the league. It is not realistic to expect the QB of the Redskins, a 6-10 bottom-feeder, to throw a TD on every drive. Grossman looked good - he took us into Ravens territory, but the drive stalled. Later, he took us all the way down the field during the 2 minute drill. That's not easy to do against such a stingy defense. The same people criticizing Rex's Ravens performance are the same ones trying to make sure Beck gets credit for "his" TD drive against the starters...that should tell you something.

Geez, the sourpusses in this thread.

sour-puss-lemon-face.gif?w=222&h=181

Don't worry, guys. Beck will have more chances this season. And Shanny won't stand pat on any starter decision.

(at this time, I wouldn't put it past Shanny to start Beck, even though Rex got rest last game, and had better stats/looked better to me this preseason.)

whichever QB Shannahan selects probably won't start the whole season, so I think no matter what some posters are not going to be happy at some points during this year. Me I am happy with the momentum and the competition the team is showing. I wish either guy the best and appreciate boths effort to get the job. Both have been competitive and classy. No drama, just going out and trying to earn the job. Kudos to both.

Archived