Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why John Beck is Likely to Win the Job

Oldfan

I don't look at the stats, I look at specific plays. There's numerous plays that I would label "reward" in his 2-minute drill against BAL, as well as his 2-minute drill in PIT.
Again, we disagree in our assessments of their on the field play but I see you're saying: you see the same mistakes with both Rex and Beck but more 'reward' for Rex.

I don't know what mistakes Beck will make, and based on his inexperience there will surely be some, but, I trust that Beck won't make the 'big' mistakes and because of his physical skillset (athleticism/arm strength) will make more plays then Rex.

If I see him in a game manager role, I'm essentially saying that's the way the team see's him because they are the ones calling the play. Seems like apples to apples to me in this case.

I disagree obo the Ravens game, it wasn't so much a vertical passing game ie Chargers as it was take a few shots here and there.

Right.

I'm saying that how either of us view/feels about the team's view of Beck or Rex is pure speculation.

And imo doesn't add very much to this conversation.

It will just become: I feel the team feels X vs I think the team feels Y

We can just talk about how we feel.

If you view Beck as a 'game manager' that's fine.

I don't have a bead on Beck's 'style' as yet.

Grossman wins it.

I keep hearing about John's upside where is it? I keep seeing his poor decisions and him forcing the ball. This coming from a person who wanted Beck to be the starter. I just don't see it.

He needs reps. That's when you will see it. All quarterbacks need time. The question is when and at what cost. It's like taking five steps back to get a running start. His good could be exceedlingly good. I took Brees three years. Beck could be too old for that. That's why we will draft a quarterback next year. And try and get three years out of Beck Grossman. I'd personally draft Kellen Moore. I like that dude. Check him out tomorrow night on the road in Georgia on ESPN, wink.

You listened to Theisman whose brain isn't always in gear before he speaks.

He intentionally grounded the ball on the ball thrown across his body. As for being late to the flat, the ball was there, and would have been complete, but the defender dove and made an outstanding play.

Also, Theisman on the aggregate gushes about Beck so if he's a credible source, he's generally very pro Beck

But based on this preason where is the reward? Their stats are pretty much even.

Then you should say that you see Beck in a game manager role, its too much to speculate how the team sees him.

One could speculate that based on the Ravens they want to go downfield with Beck at the helm.

Lol... there stats are NOT "pretty much even" lol

- If the QB competition was a fair competition, then the stats and overall play was clearly in Rex's favor...... He won far and square!

Rex Grossman

34/53 64.2% 407yards 7.7avg 2TD 1int 2sacks 0fumbles 92.26 rating

0 yards rushing 0 attempts

John Beck

30/48 62.5% 356yards 7.4avg 1TD 2int 4sacks 0fumbles 74.65 rating

20 yards rushing 4 attempts

-There is a big difference between a 92.26 rating "Rex" and 74.65 rating "Beck"

-Also funny that people in favor of Beck argue that Grossman makes more bad decisions, but Beck threw more picks, and that Beck is more mobile, but Beck got sacked more.

-Again if the QB competition was a fair competition then Rex won……. It's that simple, everyone should be buying Grossman jersey’s, and getting ready to root him and the team on here in a couple of days. HTTR

skins2victory - There is a big difference between a 92.26 rating "Rex" and 74.65 rating "Beck"

Not really. Not on such a small sample size. One play that neither QB made could account for the difference.

Against the Ravens, Santana turned defender and knocked down a pass in the corner of the endzone saving Grossman an interception. On the next play, the corner blew an assignment and Grossman threw a TD pass to a wide open Santana.

Had Santana not been able to prevent that one INT, Grossman would have 1 TD and 2 INTs. His QBR would have been 71.8 to Beck's 74.7

I’m not saying that we should adjust anything. I’m just showing you how the QBR can be deceptive on a small sample. One play by Moss made a big difference.

The coaches won’t use those stats, so it’s hard to tell how the QBs graded out, but I think it’s close. Both played well -- neither outstanding.

Not really. Not on such a small sample size. One play that neither QB made could account for the difference.

Against the Ravens, Santana turned defender and knocked down a pass in the corner of the endzone saving Grossman an interception. On the next play, the corner blew an assignment and Grossman threw a TD pass to a wide open Santana.

Had Santana not been able to prevent that one INT, Grossman would have 1 TD and 2 INTs. His QBR would have been 71.8 to Beck's 74.7

I’m not saying that we should adjust anything. I’m just showing you how the QBR can be deceptive on a small sample. One play by Moss made a big difference.

The coaches won’t use those stats, so it’s hard to tell how the QBs graded out, but I think it’s close. Both played well -- neither outstanding.

There was also plays that Beck could have easily been picked off when he caught a break........ Look at in the bigger picture you are just making excuses for Beck........ He lost

If you say so.

Well above all, Mike will make the decision on who won and lost…… I could be eating my words here in a few days…… But again if it really was a fair competition then, it really looks like Rex came out on top. Oldfan, I know that you are in favor of Beck, and you are definitely entitled to your own opinion. We will see what the outcome is soon enough. HTTR!!!!!!

Oh stop it already. Rex has had a much better career than Beck thus far and clearly outplayed Beck in the pre-season. It was always gonna be Rex unless Beck came in and lit it up, which only those ESers living in fantasy land thought would actually happen.

There were about 4-5 Ints Beck could have thrown yesterday. he looked awful. He wasn't responsible for any of the points put on the board yesterday

Yes and up until yesterday without any of the starting backs or receivers in and our o-line playing worse than they have played in any preseason games, he was far ahead of Grossman.

What is hilarious to me is that Grossman having a better QB rating, a slightly better percentage, and just one more TD and one less INT is heralded as a huge fete considering Grossman has had far more starts, been in the NFL longer, been in the system longer and has been a starter in 16 games. Such low expectations for Grossman lol.

It's like "Hey, just because he had one bad game (because prior to it he was ahead of you), you ended up beating that kid that hadn't played in a real game since 2007, was in the offense for a shorter time period than you, is younger and far less experienced than you and never got OTAs...congratulations sir" LMAO!!!!!!

Oh stop it already. Rex has had a much better career than Beck thus far and clearly outplayed Beck in the pre-season. It was always gonna be Rex unless Beck came in and lit it up, which only those ESers living in fantasy land thought would actually happen.
That opinion has nothing to do with the post you quoted. But, I found it fascinating and persuasive nevertheless. I guess I've been all wrong.

What is hilarious to me is that Grossman having a better QB rating, a slightly better percentage, and just one more TD and one less INT is heralded as a huge fete considering Grossman has had far more starts, been in the NFL longer, been in the system longer and has been a starter in 16 games. Such low expectations for Grossman lol.

It's like "Hey, just because he had one bad game (because prior to it he was ahead of you), you ended up beating that kid that hadn't played in a real game since 2007, was in the offense for a shorter time period than you, is younger and far less experienced than you and never got OTAs...congratulations sir" LMAO!!!!!!

I know right?

Yep.

In an open competition where Rex should have every advantage he holds a slight statistical edge over the erstwhile 3rd string QB.

But, somehow this=Rex has 'clearly outplayed' Beck.

Beck was definitely out of sync last night. He never seemed to fully grasp what the Bucs were trying to do defensively. I was some what discouraged by his play, but we should not go overboard with critiques of last night's game. Both have performed well and had some good moments. You can argue more positives have come from Grossman.

I am leaning in the direction of starting Beck, but would not at all be upset if Grossman was given the job. In my opinion if Shanny's offense is running on all cylinders, Beck gives the redskins more upside at the QB position. His quick release, mobility, and arm strength are all in his favor when comparing both QB's. These are all traits that fit greatly within Shanny's offense. But, if the Skins have to lean on the passing game like last year, I like Grossman for the job (Hopefully Skin's running game will be much improved).

Yes and up until yesterday without any of the starting backs or receivers in and our o-line playing worse than they have played in any preseason games, he was far ahead of Grossman.

First of all “low expectations for Rex” Really LMAO??? He has a 92.26 rating this preseason, I think that would be pretty exceptional if he can continue to play at such a high level.

It really would be interesting to know where all these Gross-ites would be right now if it were Grossman putting in that performance last night. Up until last night, Beck's numbers were, in every way better than Grossman's.

I'm sure sexy Rexy would have single-handedly taken care of business, right? Oh...we'll never know. But, from what I've seen, had Grossman been in there, with his $%^@# it, I'm going long mentality, Skins lose. And with that pressure, and his history of getting blindsided into turnovers....you figure it out.

The only opinion that matters is Mike's. It will be hilarious to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the Gross-ites should Beck be named the starter.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 02:37 PM ----------

First of all “low expectations for Rex” Really LMAO??? He has a 92.26 rating this preseason, I think that would be pretty exceptional if he can continue to play at such a high level.

And up until last night, Beck's QBR was at 99....hmmm. And never mentioned or acknowledged by the Gross-ites. But, I'm sure you'll parrot that last night we saw the REAL Beck. All that other stuff was just fluff, or coincidental.

There's going to need to be a suicide watch when Beck is named the starter.

It really would be interesting to know where all these Gross-ites would be right now if it were Grossman putting in that performance last night. Up until last night, Beck's numbers were, in every way better than Grossman's.

I'm sure sexy Rexy would have single-handedly taken care of business, right? Oh...we'll never know. But, from what I've seen, had Grossman been in there, with his $%^@# it, I'm going long mentality, Skins lose. And with that pressure, and his history of getting blindsided into turnovers....you figure it out.

The only opinion that matters is Mike's. It will be hilarious to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the Gross-ites should Beck be named the starter.

More excuses excuses for Beck...... Beck didnt play in the first preseason game, and according to Mike, he wanted Beck to play last night to even up the number of stats, so that they could be compaired. Well thats what happened, Beck didnt play well. That was his big shot, and he didnt take advantage of it. According to the numbers, if the QB competition was a fair competition then Rex clearly won, I dont understand why that is so hard for some people to understand.

Sounds personal to me. This isn't about how large an accomplishment winning this QB competition is. It's simply about which QB gives this team the best chance to win, at the moment it appears that's Rex. Why this angers you so much I don't know.

Lets not forget that Beck's TD drive was against the Ravens backups, whilst Rex's was in the two minute drill against their starters. Rex looked masterful moving the team. His TD pass was also actually a throw into the endzone, not a little screen that the receiver took and made a TD out of. I don't think the QB rating takes any of that into account. But any reasonable person gives Rex the nod in those two situations.

I know right?

Yep.

In an open competition where Rex should have every advantage he holds a slight statistical edge over the erstwhile 3rd string QB.

But, somehow this=Rex has 'clearly outplayed' Beck.

The main issue for me is that Rex should have been lighting it up and he wasn't. He has been in this league eight years (three years longer than Beck), he has started full seasons before on a Super Bowl caliber team, he has played in far more games, had far more experience, gotten far more OTA's and reps and was in the system longer than Beck. The fact that the QB competition was neck and neck up until yesterday just says to me that Grossman doesn't cut it. It's not even something personal against Grossman, I would feel that way about any QB going against someone while they have a very distinct advantage as far as experience, especially within the system. How do you walk into a competition with SO MANY ADVANTAGES and still never really separate yourself? Heck, most would argue that if Grossman starts it would be more because Beck beat himself than Rex beating Beck.

It's not even like Grossman was just sitting on the sidelines all of last year holding a clipboard, he got the opportunity to start and play in four games with our starting core. Beck didn't have OTA's this year or last year, why wasn't Rex lighting him up in every single category the whole preseason? "Slightly better than Beck" is not good enough for me to want the Redskins to start Rex over Beck, sorry. I'll take Beck learning and being given a chance to see what his ceiling is.

Archived