Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why John Beck is Likely to Win the Job

Oldfan

It really would be interesting to know where all these Gross-ites would be right now if it were Grossman putting in that performance last night. Up until last night, Beck's numbers were, in every way better than Grossman's.

I'm sure sexy Rexy would have single-handedly taken care of business, right? Oh...we'll never know. But, from what I've seen, had Grossman been in there, with his $%^@# it, I'm going long mentality, Skins lose. And with that pressure, and his history of getting blindsided into turnovers....you figure it out.

The only opinion that matters is Mike's. It will be hilarious to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the Gross-ites should Beck be named the starter.

this quote sounds personal too. Come on now guys. Sorry it doesn't appear your QB is going to win the competition, no need for this.

And up until last night, Beck's QBR was at 99....hmmm. And never mentioned or acknowledged by the Gross-ites. But, I'm sure you'll parrot that last night we saw the REAL Beck. All that other stuff was just fluff, or coincidental.

There's going to need to be a suicide watch when Beck is named the starter.

There's really not, there may be disappointment. However if Beck isn't named the starter I fear what may happen to you specifically.

The main issue for me is that Rex should have been lighting it up and he wasn't. He has been in this league eight years (three years longer than Beck), he has started full seasons before on a Super Bowl caliber team, he has played in far more games, had far more experience, gotten far more OTA's and reps and was in the system longer than Beck. The fact that the QB competition was neck and neck up until yesterday just says to me that Grossman doesn't cut it. It's not even something personal against Grossman, I would feel that way about any QB going against someone while they have a very distinct advantage as far as experience, especially within the system. How do you walk into a competition with SO MANY ADVANTAGES and still never really separate yourself?

It's not even like Grossman was just sitting on the sidelines all of last year holding a clipboard, he got the opportunity to start and play in four games with our starting core. Beck didn't have OTA's this year or last year, why wasn't Rex lighting him up in every single category the whole preseason? "Slightly better than Beck" is not good enough for me to want the Redskins to start Rex over Beck, sorry. I'll take Beck learning and being given a chance to see what his ceiling is. I

IMO...... Rex kind of did "Light it up". If you take into consideration that Rex played agaist the Steelers and Ravens firts team D's. Oh, never mind, I forgot those teams have scrubs for defences right??? LOL.... When Beck played against the Ravens, the majority of his game against the Ravens were there back up's. They both got time agaisnt the Colts, and Beck saw the Buck's last night.....

More excuses excuses for Beck...... Beck didnt play in the first preseason game, and according to Mike, he wanted Beck to play last night to even up the number of stats, so that they could be compaired. Well thats what happened, Beck didnt play well. That was his big shot, and he didnt take advantage of it. According to the numbers, if the QB competition was a fair competition then Rex clearly won, I dont understand why that is so hard for some people to understand.

The only way it's a fair competition is when the situations are the same. A reasonable person could not look at last night's game and say it's equal to another. Beck's rating looked almost exactly like Grossman's against the Colts. And guess what, they played 2s vs 2s. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that! You can look at this game and walk away with whatever impression you want to have, but it is NOT the same thing as starting with starters at the skill positions. Grossman has had more opportunities with them than Beck has. When Beck has had all starters, he's made the most out of it.

Can you honestly say that Grossman would have done better against the kind of pressure we were seeing last night? Really? It's not apples to apples. Both have shown the propensity to struggle with the 2s. And yeah, throw in that Beck was with the starting OLine, but they played terribly (even acknowledged by linemen themselves).

Take whatever you want from it. Before last night, everyone wanted to ignore Beck's greater Completion %, QBR, and YPC. Now you all feel validated that he had ONE bad game in which he struggled to find a rhythm with an offense made up of scrubs and an OLine that decided not to do their job most of the night.

Like I said, if he's going to be named the starter, it will be hilarious to see everyone's reaction. If Grossman does get it, I'll feel bad for Beck. Some of you are so invested in seeing Grossman win the job that you are blind to 10 years of history he's provided. You know what you are going to get with him. Beck's history, while shaded in controversy in Miami, etc, is WAYYYY to small a sample size for any of you to know what he's capable of.

Mike will make his decision, and fortunately none of our bantering (myself included) makes squat difference.

IMO...... Rex kind of did "Light it up". If you take into consideration that Rex played agaist the Steelers and Ravens firts team D's. Oh, never mind, I forgot those teams have scrubs for defences right??? LOL.... When Beck played against the Ravens, the majority of his game against the Ravens back up's. They both got time agaisnt the Colts, and Beck saw the Buck's last night.....

Who said they had scrubs? The numbers don't lie, he didn't light up a thing. Also, I posted the video of Grossman's play during the Raven's game and it was quite clear that Rex was off and did not move the chains one iota until the last 2 minutes of the half. Do I need to post the video again?

Who said they had scrubs? The numbers don't lie, he didn't light up a thing. Also, I posted the video of Grossman's play during the Raven's game and it was quite clear that Rex was off and did not move the chains one iota until the last 2 minutes of the half. Do I need to post the video again?

Are you kidding me? He lit it up 1 drive out of 4 against Raven's starters! The rest, well....ignore those drives. Warmups.

Lets not forget that Beck's TD drive was against the Ravens backups, whilst Rex's was in the two minute drill against their starters. Rex looked masterful moving the team. His TD pass was also actually a throw into the endzone, not a little screen that the receiver took and made a TD out of. I don't think the QB rating takes any of that into account. But any reasonable person gives Rex the nod in those two situations.
if someone was saying that Rex never did anything right in the preseason, that would be a solid counter.

Can we stop kidding ourselves? These stats are useless.

The coaches will grade the QBs with a plus if they took a sack rather than throw it up for grabs. They will sometimes give him a plus on incompletions. They will sometimes give him a minus when the ball should have been intercepted but wasn't.

Moreover, in preseason, they are not always calling plays to increase production. Sometime, they just want to see whether the QB can handle a particular set. They need to know the QB's strengths and weaknesses to game plan.

If the second team receivers were causing Beck problems, they aren't going to downgrade him for an incompletion. But they probably will if he panics when the receiver runs the wrong route and he makes matters worse by not getting rid of the ball..

Take whatever you want from it. Before last night, everyone wanted to ignore Beck's greater Completion %, QBR, and YPC. Now you all feel validated that he had ONE bad game in which he struggled to find a rhythm with an offense made up of scrubs and an OLine that decided not to do their job most of the night.

Like I said, if he's going to be named the starter, it will be hilarious to see everyone's reaction. If Grossman does get it, I'll feel bad for Beck. Some of you are so invested in seeing Grossman win the job that you are blind to 10 years of history he's provided. You know what you are going to get with him. Beck's history, while shaded in controversy in Miami, etc, is WAYYYY to small a sample size for any of you to know what he's capable of.

Mike will make his decision, and fortunately none of our bantering (myself included) makes squat difference.

Rex Grossman

34/53 64.2% 407yards 7.7avg 2TD 1int 2sacks 0fumbles 92.26 rating

0 yards rushing 0 attempts

John Beck

30/48 62.5% 356yards 7.4avg 1TD 2int 4sacks 0fumbles 74.65 rating

20 yards rushing 4 attempts

-Mike made this competition as fair as possible this preseason, there number of snaps is very close. BOTH…. QB’s had the opportunities to play with the first and second stringers. After it was all said and done you are left with numbers, and the numbers show that Rex came out on top.

-Also funny that people in favor of Beck argue that Grossman makes more bad decisions, but Beck threw more picks, and that Beck is more mobile, but Beck got sacked more.

-Again if the QB competition was a fair competition then Rex won……. Is that simple, everyone should be buying Grossman jersey’s, and getting ready to root him and the team on here in a couple of days. HTTR

You weren't paying attention if you don't think Rex showed well against the Steelers and Ravens. Beck didn't show well against the Ravens starters and didnt' face the Steelers at all. So in that regard, if you compare stats to stats, the numbers in fact do lie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udgJykB3jw

Those first 2 series were less than stellar. Please note that the announcers also note how INCONSISTENT Rex looks up until just before the 2 minute warning.

I guess those calling the game weren't paying attention either........

I didn't say Rex played badly, but for someone to imply he "lit it up" agains the Ravens? NO. He didn't.

Regardless of all of this, what really matters is Mike's opinion. That's all I'm waiting for. He sees more than all of us combined regarding these two.

What is funny is that, while I will make no claim that Beck has 'won' it, those in favor of Grossman are very quick to tell us he won. Everything I've said regarding decisions has been hypothetical. Your statements are presented as fact. Big difference, and you're setting yourself up for more disappointment than I may feel if Beck doesn't get it. Sure, I hope he does, and Mike sees it the way I do. But, I'm willing to be wrong. Are you?

Lets not forget that Beck's TD drive was against the Ravens backups, whilst Rex's was in the two minute drill against their starters. Rex looked masterful moving the team. His TD pass was also actually a throw into the endzone, not a little screen that the receiver took and made a TD out of. I don't think the QB rating takes any of that into account. But any reasonable person gives Rex the nod in those two situations.

Beck had a two TD drives. One against their starters and one against the backups.

OF, my point was merely that throwing out QBR is meaningless. You have to put everything in context which I think is what you are saying as well.

Truth is I don't really care one way or the other who starts week one. The only thing I am saying is that I believe that based on what I've seen out of the two guys, I feel going into week one Rex gives us the better chance to win. I think starting Beck and taking early lumps in hopes of better QB play later is the wrong way to go as Beck doesn't offer the team a longterm solution. I say start Rex and lets see where he takes us. If he disappoints then move to Beck.

However, if the team decides to go with Beck then I'm fine with it as they surely know better than I do.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 05:05 PM ----------

Beck had a two TD drives. One against their starters and one against the backups.

He completed one pass and Hightower took it in. Not buying it.

OF, my point was merely that throwing out QBR is meaningless. You have to put everything in context which I think is what you are saying as well.

Truth is I don't really care one way or the other who starts week one. The only thing I am saying is that I believe that based on what I've seen out of the two guys, I feel going into week one Rex gives us the better chance to win. I think starting Beck and taking early lumps in hopes of better QB play later is the wrong way to go as Beck doesn't offer the team a longterm solution. I say start Rex and lets see where he takes us. If he disappoints then move to Beck.

However, if the team decides to go with Beck then I'm fine with it as they surely know better than I do.

Umm, so the fact that it was a 34 yard pass that put them in better field position doesn't count? Oh ok.

Oh, so we omit a TD drive where Beck was at the helm....I see. Talk about cherry pickin...

Those first 2 series were less than stellar. Please note that the announcers also note how INCONSISTENT Rex looks up until just before the 2 minute warning.

I didn't say Rex played badly, but for someone to imply he "lit it up" agains the Ravens? NO. He didn't.

The two minute drill was impressive no matter how you slice it. Not every drive is gonna end in points. You're putting unrealistic expectations on Rex. The much simpler question to ask is where did Beck outplay Rex that you would feel good about starting him against the Giants.

The two minute drill was impressive no matter how you slice it. Not every drive is gonna end in points. You're putting unrealistic expectations on Rex. The much simpler question to ask is where did Beck outplay Rex that you would feel good about starting him against the Giants.

I've already explained why I prefer Beck starting to Rex. It's on the previous page.

LOL...Ya he did a great job throwing that deep ball to put them in position for Hightower. It was a great pass.

Your right.... He did complete one throw that drive..... I would say that was his best throw of the preseason too..... It was a great pass!

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 05:13 PM ----------

Okay guys…… Let’s get serious here. If the competition is that close, then we need to look at who has the best name…….. Winner = Sex Cannon ;)

Umm, so the fact that it was a 34 yard pass that put them in better field position doesn't count? Oh ok.

That's not a drive. It's one pass that really wasn't all that difficult to complete. I mean, I could critique the ball placement, but that's neither here nor there. Beck gets very little credit on that drive.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 05:15 PM ----------

Oh, so we omit a TD drive where Beck was at the helm....I see. Talk about cherry pickin...

I think the cherry picker in this case would be you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udgJykB3jw

Those first 2 series were less than stellar.

First series looked like crap...but wasn't his fault

First throw hits the receiver in the hands then hits his body and bounces away when the receiver is looking to see where the hit was coming from ("and dropped")

The second he's under pressure and is hit as he throws the football ("under pressure")

Second series looks better....

First pass was a bad one down the field to Gaffney he could have throw better if he had more time (you can see this as Rex is picking himself up off the turf)

Second pass on second down with 5 to go Rex hits Gaffney when Tim Hightower picked up the blitzer for a first down

Third pass 1st and 10 hits Moss down the middle for another first down. Announcers even mention how he can throw when given protection

Fourth pass 3rd and 14 floats it off target to Moss, looked to me like he rushed that one because of the defensive pressure

What I see with this film is that when Rex has good protection he can move the offense and hit some tight windows

The problem with those first two drives wasn't Rex it was the offensive line

Please note that the announcers also note how INCONSISTENT Rex looks up until just before the 2 minute warning.

You obviously weren't either

Listen to the announcers more and they talk about one thing over and over again with those two series....Baltimore's pressure

I don't care which of these two guys is the quarterback if they don't have any time to throw the ball they can't move the offense

Neither QB did that against the Baltimore Defense

However 8 of 15 is much better against the starting defense then 0-3 wouldn't you agree?

Archived