Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WE: John Keim: Ten observations: Ravens 34, Redskins 31 [Read #2 Re: Shanahan on Beck]

Oldfan

One thing I can't stand about Rex...there were several times where Hightower was open in the flat last night and could have gained about 8+ yards of a simple dumpoff. Instead, Rex guns a ball down the middle. I understand that Rex has confidence in himself to make the throws in tight coverage, but someone tell the man that there's nothing wrong with being conservative sometimes. The checkdown can be as big a play as the 15 yard crossing pattern -- especially when you have a shifty tough runner like Hightower catching it.

Also another thing...I also think Beck's ability to run that bootleg opens up lanes on those stretch plays, because defenses are concerned with the bootleg action and overplaying to one side of the field.

I don't know...I just see much more upside in the offense in general with Beck in there. People have been saying all week how the playbook isn't as extensive with Beck in there vs. Grossman, but I think it's the opposite. With Beck, the coaches can run more bootlegs and rollouts, etc, that you really can't erun as effectively with Grossman.

I think Keim focuses too much on isolating the good play of one lineman when he talks about our big runs.

He talks about Chester and gives him credit for the big run last week but that run never happens if Trent Williams doesn't engulf Dwight Freeney and create that huge initial crease.

He gives credit to Trent for taking out backside pursuit on Hightower's cutback but give credit to Hightower himself (excellent vision to find the cutback and nice running to make Jarret Johnson and the diving cornerback miss), Kory Lichtensteiger for executing a nice cut block that actually ended up taking two linemen out of the play after Logan Paulsen did a great job flattening Corey Redding. And lo and behold, it was none other than the sensational Terrence Austin that provided the downfield blocks to slow the safeties and buy Hightower time to pass the second and third levels of the defense. That also doesn't mention the good job that Montgomery, Brown, and Chester did to create that hole at the line.

It was a great, wholistic effort from the entire offense. Trent's block gets mentioned simply because of how fast he looked and the fact that he pancacked Ray Lewis even though there was a lot that went into that play.

Still Trent's individual effort was spectacular. The guy is a freak of nature and I love this attitude he's playing with, particularly in the running game. By the end of the year he should be one of the best run blocking LTs in the league and I think we're going to have a lot of success running left so long as he stays healthy. If you're a DE or LB, I don't really see how you get off of him or deal with him physically. You can't beat that size and speed, you have to outsmart him and be as productive as you can manage while understanding you're going to lose most of your matchups on the ground.

Another thing that flashed from that play is that Logan Paulsen and Terrence Austin need to make the team and see the field this year. If we're going to run the ball, having a big TE like Paulsen who can soften the edge is so much more valuable than having Chris Cooley in. I hate to say it, but Cooley is the worst run blocking TE on the roster. He's too situational and when he's in the game, you're stuck either selling your playcall as pass or putting a guy on the field the defense knows will be a win for them when they defend the run. It's frustrating that he's never really improved as a blocker.

More than that it was on Stallworth becuase he ran a lousy route. It was an out and up - a double move. Stallworth needs to sell the out to get the DB to lower his hips and commit to the out before he sticks his foot in and runs the up. He made a half assed effort on the out which the DB did not buy and that meant he had no separation. Beck probably should have thrown back shoulder given that DB was actually ahead of Stallworth but I put that pick more on Stallworth than Beck.

I agree with what both you and Art said about that throw. To add to that though is the fact that number one they called it to Stallworth and not Hank or Paul. The only other thought is that Beck could have checked down when he saw tight coverage, but Kyle might have wanted him to loosen up the defense by going deep anyway. Regardless I saw nothing last night that would indicate it would be better to keep Stallworth over any of the other guys TBH.

---------- Post added August-26th-2011 at 09:48 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure our team DID beat Baltimore last night. Our starters beat their starters. Our second team still had the lead our their first teamers. Not until the 4th quarter scrubs were in did their 2nd team QB lead a rally over our 3rd team D. Even their all world LB spent a lot of time on his back. Baltimore has NO room to talk any smack

Let alone the lousy penalties on ST's and defense. The team can work on those.

Here is the conclusion I keep returning to: Shanahan's first year here was a total waste of time. If he saw something in Beck' date=' he should have played him last year so there would be some idea as to what he could do. I hate the idea of going into a new season with an experiment.

?[/quote']

What a waste McNubb turned out to be. The team could have had extra picks. It really sucks that we went into the year thinking the squad from 2010 was good. Maybe it was a Snyder move afterall :) Anyway, I agree we should have played beck at least 1 of the 3 games we gave to Sexy Rexy.

2. Apparently ESPN’s Jon Gruden was raving about Beck on TV and proclaimed him his day one starter. He also apparently raved about Beck’s interview. Here’s the thing; Gruden doesn’t do that if he’s not hearing something elsewhere. Like from the head coach. I’ve talked to a few people who have said that Mike Shanahan has told them he thinks Beck is better than Rex Grossman. And Gruden would have been in a production meeting with Shanahan the other day. Wonder if the QB topic came up. What do you think?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/08/ten-observations-ravens-34-redskins-31

Samething i thought as well. Beck may very well be the better all around QB. He's accurate, is mobile and seems to have some leadership qualities in him. I would say forget it, and start him week 1.

Donte Stallworth need to pick it up. He slowed down on that bomb from Beck and looked like he didn't even try to go up to get the ball. Or at least play defense on that interception.

Modern NFL rules make it counter productive to call a punt block. Momentum is heading torward the punter and the punter can always put on an Academy Award winning performance.

I wanted to see what Hightower could do in pass catching. Didn't see many passes his way.

Starting defensive line got tired by the end of the first half. Some player's motor's wern't running as well.

We need to work at getting more pressure with only three down lineman.

Kevin Barnes and Dejon Gomes impress me. Devonte Shannon showed some good stuff too.

Mike Schlereth just said on Mike and Mike that Beck gives the Skins the best chance to win based on Shanny's offense. Not that anyone is the definitive word, but interesting.
Oh well' date=' we got Gruden and Schlereth on board. Somebody get Merril Hoge on the horn so I can complete my triumverate of people who give me a headache.[/quote']

Yeah but you must top that off with a Marshall Faulk, hahaa goot won LKB.

Big Will -- We need to work at getting more pressure with only three down lineman.

I think we need to dump any coverage that calls for Orakpo to be downfield in coverage. He had his back to the QB and did not see the pass that Flacco put in the gap next to him.

1. One thing I learned about John Beck: he really does like throwing deep. Of his 10 passes three were downfield. He completed one, missed on another and was picked off on the third. But Beck said afterward he wouldn’t hesitate to make the same throw again. It didn’t come across like someone who was just blowing smoke, either. He was resolute in that and added, “I love the deep ball.” He just knew that vs. Indianapolis it wasn’t available, but against the Ravens you have to take your shots because of how aggressive they play defensively.

Can we now close ASF's thread about how Mike and Kyle only called shallow pass routes against the Colts because they wanted to cater to Beck?

Is explosiveness something one can learn or practice?

My impression is you either have it or you don't.

I think that it's mixed. You can have it, but if you hesitate because you don't know where to go due to unfamiliarity with the position and system, then you won't be using it. As that familiarity is gained, it's utilized.

I have 3 observations about the game:

1) John Harbaugh is a Major Douchbag because of 3 things:

a) leaving his starters in just to tie the game up in the 3rd quarter

B) calling timeouts with 6 minutes left to get the ball back

c) actually "trying" to win a game that doesn't count.

2) Ray Lewis and Ray Rice (must be the name) dancing like a couple of idiots after a preseason win. Hey murderer, you've been in the league 16 years, act like it. It's just preseason.

3) Our starters can match up with other teams this year. It was clear Shanahan wanted to "see" players and could care less about winning it.

I'm pretty sure our team DID beat Baltimore last night. Our starters beat their starters. Our second team still had the lead our their first teamers. Not until the 4th quarter scrubs were in did their 2nd team QB lead a rally over our 3rd team D. Even their all world LB spent a lot of time on his back. Baltimore has NO room to talk any smack

Yeah, you're probably right but watching those ******* mug for the cameras and high-five a scoreboard victory on a night the Skins showed so much didn't sit well with me. Baltimore just owns the Skins and it would have been nice to beat them fully. One of the perks of the preseason is the moral victory I guess.

If he said that on the air, I missed it.

I think LL56 is referring to an interview on 980 around noon yesterday, where Jaws said he has no inside information but thinks Grossman will get the nod because of his experience -- his main point was Grossman played the last three games last year not Beck so that might give a window into Shanny's thinking. He seemed high on both Qb's and actually thinks the redskins are potentially a playoff team.

Here is something to ponder: NFL coaches would rather castrate themselves with a butter knife than turn the ball over. Shanahan likely has nightmares involving interceptions. Everyone knows what Grossman does. Beck is an unknown in that area. So...yea.

So who would you start and why?

I have 3 observations about the game:

1) John Harbaugh is a Major Douchbag because of 3 things:

a) leaving his starters in just to tie the game up in the 3rd quarter

B) calling timeouts with 6 minutes left to get the ball back

c) actually "trying" to win a game that doesn't count.

2) Ray Lewis and Ray Rice (must be the name) dancing like a couple of idiots after a preseason win. Hey murderer, you've been in the league 16 years, act like it. It's just preseason.

3) Our starters can match up with other teams this year. It was clear Shanahan wanted to "see" players and could care less about winning it.

I don't like Harbaugh or Ray Lewis one bit. But come on.

The coach is allowed to get his starters one final quality drive to end on a good note. As for the game management...he owes it to the backups playing to let them play in realistic game conditions. Lewis is a tool...but he seemed excited for the young players.

Archived