Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WE: John Keim: Ten observations: Ravens 34, Redskins 31 [Read #2 Re: Shanahan on Beck]

Oldfan

2. Apparently ESPN’s Jon Gruden was raving about Beck on TV and proclaimed him his day one starter. He also apparently raved about Beck’s interview. Here’s the thing; Gruden doesn’t do that if he’s not hearing something elsewhere. Like from the head coach. I’ve talked to a few people who have said that Mike Shanahan has told them he thinks Beck is better than Rex Grossman. And Gruden would have been in a production meeting with Shanahan the other day. Wonder if the QB topic came up. What do you think?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/08/ten-observations-ravens-34-redskins-31

2. Apparently ESPN’s Jon Gruden was raving about Beck on TV and proclaimed him his day one starter. He also apparently raved about Beck’s interview. Here’s the thing; Gruden doesn’t do that if he’s not hearing something elsewhere. Like from the head coach. I’ve talked to a few people who have said that Mike Shanahan has told them he thinks Beck is better than Rex Grossman. And Gruden would have been in a production meeting with Shanahan the other day. Wonder if the QB topic came up. What do you think?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/08/ten-observations-ravens-34-redskins-31

Gruden may have some inside scoop or something but it might just be him blowing smoke because he says a lot of things that don't necessarily mean anything or become true. But Beck does look better than Grossman at this point even though they both played well. Beck had the INT and Grossman didn't. Also Beck has a better arm for the long ball do maybe Beck is going to be the starter week 1. Only time will tell.

Our secondary situtation looks weak. It may be a good idea to ink Kelvin Hayden to provide some strength to it.

We played without our starting CB and SS. Outside of Fletcher our LB coverage is lacking too.

D Hall is the Rex Grossman of cornerbacks, love that guy though. He's caught more TD passes then Kelly and D Thomas combined since we picked him up.

I did not have a "Yes! This guy has to be our starting QB!" moment last night with Beck. I just didn't. Maybe Mike and Kyle did, but I really don't see how any definitive decision could be derived from last night's game with Beck.

---------- Post added August-26th-2011 at 08:12 AM ----------

Our secondary situtation looks weak. It may be a good idea to ink Kelvin Hayden to provide some strength to it.

Really? I thought we looked okay considering Thompson, Westbrook and Gomes were matching up against their starters for a decent period of time.

I did not have a "Yes! This guy has to be our starting QB!" moment last night with Beck. I just didn't. Maybe Mike and Kyle did, but I really don't see how any definitive decision could be derived from last night's game with Beck.
My guess is that all Mike and Kyle needed to see was that John Beck didn't collapse under the pressure of the competition. They already knew that he was more talented and fit their scheme better than Rex.

My guess is that all Mike and Kyle needed to see was that John Beck didn't collapse under the pressure of the competition. They already knew that he was more talented and fit their scheme better than Rex.

Did Grossman collapse though OF? He commanded the offense pretty effectively I thought. The mobility is not there, but he did make some plays in the air. Is the mobility aspect enough to give the job to Beck?

Did Grossman collapse though OF? He commanded the offense pretty effectively I thought. The mobility is not there, but he did make some plays in the air. Is the mobility aspect enough to give the job to Beck?
Grossman played well, but it doesn't matter. It isn't just Beck's mobility that gives him the talent edge, but that is an important factor in this scheme.

He could know something we don't, or he could just be filling airtime, we won't know. Personally, I agree with what the guys said on Monday Night Countdown; 8 years of Rex Grossman....we know who he is and what he can do, and it's average at best. Beck is an unknown quantity but he looked good last night.

From Matt Bowen

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Did-Rex-do-enough-to-stay-alive-in-Skins-QB-battle.html

What didn’t I like tonight from Rex? He isn’t great in the pocket—and you could see that. Working vs. edge pressure (part of the overload blitz schemes in Baltimore), Grossman has to find ways to step up in the pocket, deliver the ball and avoid retreating with defenders in his face. He isn’t going to give you a lot of movement in the pocket (or in the boot game) and that is something the ‘Skins can get from Beck.

Like I have said all preseason, we can’t make a call on a position battle based off of one half of football in August. I would be surprised if Beck isn’t the opening day starter in Washington, but give Rex some credit for playing good football tonight. Because that should at least keep him alive in the QB battle.

Byron Westbrook started. Josh Wilson, Fletcher, Landry, and Carriker all didn't dress. I saw Phillip Buchanon dressed, but I didn't see him play. He'll also be suspended for the first several games. That was against the Ravens one's.

Grossman played well, but it doesn't matter. It isn't just Beck's mobility that gives him the talent edge, but that is an important factor in this scheme.

Beck IMO also showed that he can put some air on the deep ball in spite of what his naysayers have been saying. The funny thing was Gruden was saying part of what gives Beck the edge is that he has a stronger arm than Grossman and that they can go deep with Beck. Seemed like the thrust of many of the critiques on the board about Beck was that he doesn't have Grossman's arm strength and he doesn't like to take chances.

I was listening to Sirius Radio this morning, I thought a caller made a good point. In a lot of respects, whoever gets named the starter might be at a disadvantage. Immediately you are playing with something to lose. If you're on the bench, no pressure. If your number is called you go out and play.

I could see Rex getting the start but Shanny pulling him at some point after one of his trademark meltdowns.. in comes Beck with nothing to lose...

I think you could make the argument also that Grossman is more of what you'd want out of a backup...experienced in the system, capable of leading scoring drives, etc. Given the fact that most teams end up needing to play their backups at some point, I think we're in a pretty decent spot at the QB position.

AAAHHHHH YES! That just a different aspect to the game. Plus the defense cant over pursuit on the stretch plays because of BECKS threat of a bootleg. And you seen it with the runs with Beck in there. The back side has to stay at bay to protect the back side vs Beck. So yes his mobility trumps Grossman experience.

---------- Post added August-26th-2011 at 08:43 AM ----------

I think he's right about Kerrigan..he isn't explosive YET. By the end of the season i think he will be a major impact player for this D.

I cant agree. Kerrigan is explosive. He just get his technique down and be more consitent.

I think you could make the argument also that Grossman is more of what you'd want out of a backup...experienced in the system, capable of leading scoring drives, etc. Given the fact that most teams end up needing to play their backups at some point, I think we're in a pretty decent spot at the QB position.
True.

I foresee the media resurrecting the "mastermind" label for Mike Shanahan. He told us that both QBs could play. It's looking like he called it right and made all the doubters look foolish.

I was getting kind of annoyed with the Jon Gruden-John Beck lovefest. Beck completes a 2 yard dump off to Paulsen, Gruden starts talking about how athletic and impressive the play was. It got old.

honestly, Beck looks a lot like Rich Gannon out there. similar size and athleticism and similar release. I was actually thinking during the Colts game that he reminded me a bit of Gannon... I think Gruden saw it too

Beck IMO also showed that he can put some air on the deep ball in spite of what his naysayers have been saying. The funny thing was Gruden was saying part of what gives Beck the edge is that he has a stronger arm than Grossman and that they can go deep with Beck. Seemed like the thrust of many of the critiques on the board about Beck was that he doesn't have Grossman's arm strength and he doesn't like to take chances.
It's hard to say just how well Beck will do on the deep throws, but the laid to rest any qualms about arm strength or touch. As Gruden pointed out, Rex isn't known as a great deep thrower himself.

I cannot see how anyone feels Beck has outplayed Grossman to this point - especially last night. Grossman has been accurate, only had one turnover, and spread the ball around very well every game. Most importantly, he gets the balls to the receivers. Look at the disparity between catches by running backs vs. wide receivers when Grossman is in vs. Beck. Grossman had some near perfect throws into tight windows last night - even a couple when he had a lot of pressure on him from the pass rush. He quickly finds his receivers downfield and has a much better arm. You WANT to get the ball to your receivers downfield as much as possible and give them an opportunity to make plays. That's what Grossman does. Beck simply makes the short throws to running backs - he was 1/3 on deep passes last night. The completion was nice but he badly missed Davis on one, not even allowing him to make a play on the ball (overthrew it and out of bounds) and threw a pick on the other.

I'm hoping Grossman is our starter.

Beck gives us a little more mobility a little stronger arm but lacks the experience. Grossman gives us the experience but I agree may be better suited as the backup. Sounds strange but I would feel better with Grossman coming off the bench than Beck simply because Rex has been there and done that before and would not seem to be overwhelmed by the moment.

Beck has the biggest upside. For the most part, I think Rex has played great, but at this point in Beck's career and with the rebuilding the Skins are going through, you *have* to start Beck. He has certainly shown the confidence and ability to be just as good as Rex in the position. Throughout the season we'll hopefully get a better look at just how high Beck's ceiling could be.

Archived